• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadman

According to the commentators mclaren are running far more downforce than anyone else and are still the fastest through the speedtraps.

Pimpwerx

Deadman said:
According to the commentators mclaren are running far more downforce than anyone else and are still the fastest through the speedtraps.
I'm waiting for Red Bull to show their hand. PEACE.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
The Red Bulls looked a handful in FP1, Vettel was so so close to putting it in the wall in the last minute of practice.

All the Merc powered cars are looking good so far.

navanman

No F-duct for RBR this weekend again.
Unless they somehow qualify on the front row of the grid they are going to be very vulnerable to being passed on the long straight.

navanman

FP2 over. Vettel with quickest time from Alonso & Rosberg. McLaren didn't go out to try and beat the time.

The worrying part is the serious tyre degradation on the option tyre. They are barely lasting 8 laps before the lap times fall off by 5-6 seconds. RBR also seem to having some issues with front tyres graining also.

The BBC team think we could be looking at the first 2-stop race of the season because of the tyre issues.

Dilly

Banned
Never thought I would say this.

HRT is looking strong this race. Compared to the other new teams, Virgin is slowly sliding further to the back of the grid.

MDJCM

Dilly said:
Never thought I would say this.

HRT is looking strong this race. Compared to the other new teams, Virgin is slowly sliding further to the back of the grid.
They have further to slide?

Leonsito

navanman said:
FP2 over. Vettel with quickest time from Alonso & Rosberg. McLaren didn't go out to try and beat the time.

The worrying part is the serious tyre degradation on the option tyre. They are barely lasting 8 laps before the lap times fall off by 5-6 seconds. RBR also seem to having some issues with front tyres graining also.

The BBC team think we could be looking at the first 2-stop race of the season because of the tyre issues.

Yeah, McLaren option tyres were destroyed in 4 laps, and there was an amazing slow-mo replay of Webber in which you could see the tyres missing rubber in all directions.

Ferrari and Mercedes tyres looked better, but not very much.

DieH@rd

Banned
Oh snap, i can buy EVERYONE EXCEPT WEBBER in f1 manager. With who shall i go?

Vettel? Hamilton? Button? Tough decision time, tomorrow morning i will make final decision. [most probably vettel]

Chris R

Sucks this race is this weekend :( Between LeMans and all the super early day NASCAR stuff going on SPEED is having a horrible time trying to find spots for the F1 coverage. OH WELL :( super delayed practice and qualifying are ok as long as FOX doesn't screw up the race broadcast.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I will probably miss this one, because I am at my GF and she do not like F1.

Option tyre is supersoft this round and some are suggesting that it is simply too soft for harsh asphalt in Montreal. I could see several teams doing quolies on prime tyres.

navanman

DrM said:
Option tyre is supersoft this round and some are suggesting that it is simply too soft for harsh asphalt in Montreal. I could see several teams doing quolies on prime tyres.

Its certainly possible. The options fall away badly so quickly that the time to pit and change to pit to medium rather than qualify lower on the grid and start on options must be worth the risk.

Leunam

aSfSD.png

After a brief break from the circuit, Formula 1 puts the Canadian Grand Prix back on the calendar. A track with several long straights and very close walls, the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve combines features of a street track and a permanent racing circuit. McLaren comes in as a favorite due to their F-duct, but that doesn't necessarily leave Red Bull out of the picture. Coming out of an embarrassing incident which cost Red Bull a one-two finish in Turkey, Mark Webber and Sebastian Vettel will look to prove once again that they are a winning team worthy of a championship.

JyhA3.jpg

iKKen.png

The circuit, at Parc Jean-Drapeau on Île Notre-Dame, a man-made island in the St. Lawrence River that is part of the city of Montreal, was originally named the Île Notre-Dame Circuit. It was renamed in honour of Canadian Formula One driver Gilles Villeneuve, father of Jacques Villeneuve, following his death in 1982. The venue hosted the Champ Car World Series Grand Prix of Montreal from 2002 to 2006.
Bienvenue au Québec slogan on the Wall of Champions

Barriers run close to the circuit and many experienced drivers have been caught out by them. A particularly famous part of the circuit is the wall on the outside of the exit of the final chicane. In 1999 the wall, which has on it the slogan Bienvenue au Québec ("Welcome to Quebec") giving it the nickname "Mur du Québec" (Quebec Wall), ended the race of three Formula One World Champions, Damon Hill, Michael Schumacher & Jacques Villeneuve along with FIA GT champion Ricardo Zonta. Since then the wall has been nicknamed "The Wall Of Champions". In recent years Jenson Button (2005) and Vitantonio Liuzzi (2007) have also fallen victim to the wall. Fernando Alonso 2005/06 F1 World Champion and Nico Rosberg have also both hit the wall at turn 5. Juan Pablo Montoya has also hit a wall on the circuit.

Changes made in 2005 to the curbs on the final chicane were controversial amongst drivers in the run-up to the Grand Prix. The curbs were made higher and more difficult for the drivers to see, making it even more challenging.

On June 23, 2006, Canadian Press reported that the city of Montreal has awarded exclusive rights to stage the two allowed race weekends on the track to Normand Legault, promoter of the Formula One Canadian Grand Prix. The deal is for 2007 to 2011, with an option for 2012 to 2016. Legault decided to replace the Champ Car race with races from the Grand American Road Racing Association's Rolex Series and NASCAR's Nationwide Series, respectively - the latter series' first race north of the Canadian-United States border. On August 4, 2007, Kevin Harvick made history by winning the first NASCAR Busch Series (now Nationwide Series) race at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in what was one of the most controversial NASCAR races ever. Robby Gordon says he won.

The NASCAR races have affected the circuit layout. An expansion of the pit lane took place, since a NASCAR pit lane must accommodate a minimum of 43 cars.

As part of Parc Jean-Drapeau, the Circuit is open to visitors, between races, for walking, running, biking, in-line skating, etc. During the few days of the Grand Prix, Île Notre-Dame is one of the noisiest places in Montreal. At just about any other time of the year, it is one of the quietest, being located in the middle of a river, on an island filled with greenery and animals, joggers and cyclists. However, on June 4, 2009, administration of Île Notre-Dame has forbidden the access of competitive cyclists to the circuit, justifying this as a security measure to avoid the increasing injuries that occurred between year 2008 and 2009. A total of 27 injuries have been reported. The ban on cyclists has since been lifted due to protests.

Onboard Lap

Onboard Lap of Circuit Gilles Velleneuve courtesy of former Ferrari driver Kimi Raikkonen

VcM3F.png

Take a closer look here.

Fastest Lap
Kimi Raikkonen - Ferrari - 1:17.387
Most Wins
Michael Shumacher - 7
Most Wins for Constructor
Ferrari - 13

Highlights from Previous Years

Highlights from Canada 2008

Highlights from Canda 1999

Previous Winners

BIvNa.png

Championship Standings

44Gf4.png

Last Minute News

Sebastian Vettel heads Canadian Grand Prix Practice
Schumacher will use rest of season to prepare for 2011
Friday Analysis: Red Bull keep their cool in Montreal
Q&A with Force Indias Adrian Sutil
Q&A with McLarens Lewis Hamilton
No Favorite at Red Bull - Vettel

-----

Thanks for DrM, subzero9285, navanman and everyone else for helping me find a suitable map for this preview.

TylerD

Here is a video I took today from Tribune 21 during FP2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8bCTiZlkUc

The first time I heard the live sounds of F1 and 18,000 RPMs Friday morning I had chill bumps for about 5 minutes and I couldn't stop smiling through all of FP1.

I am having a fantastic time in Montreal! This city is amazing. It is like one huge party and there is a French music festival going on outside my hotel.

Dead Man

GuessWho said:
Here are some awesome pics I took at the GP today
Fixed. :D Nice work, thanks for sharing.

For racemanager, I'm just going to stick with the same hardware, but I've upgraded to Hulk from Chandhook (sp?) for my second driver.

TylerD said:
Here is a video I took today from Tribune 21 during FP2.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8bCTiZlkUc

The first time I heard the live sounds of F1 and 18,000 RPMs Friday morning I had chill bumps for about 5 minutes and I couldn't stop smiling through all of FP1.

I am having a fantastic time in Montreal! This city is amazing. It is like one huge party and there is a French music festival going on outside my hotel.
So jealous of both of you!

Deadman

There was rain overnight, so all of yesterdays rubber will be gone. Expect it to be just as slippy as it was at the start of yesterday.

navanman

Looks like the tyre situation is going to be a nightmare today. Bridgestone have admitted that the tyres will not last the usual 1 stop strategy.

Overnight rain and lower than expected temperatures in Montreal on Saturday morning have left teams facing a nightmare dilemma over tyre strategies for the Canadian Grand Prix - that could blow open the battle for pole position.

A number of drivers complained about bad graining on the super soft tyres in free practice on Friday, and Bridgestone chiefs think the tyre choices for qualifying will not be straightforward.

Overnight showers have washed away any rubber laid down on Friday, and the track temperature is no warmer than yesterday. Bridgestone's director of motorsport tyre development Hirohide Hamashima says current predictions are that a standard one-stop will be impossible.

Furthermore, he also thinks that with the frontrunning teams likely to opt to qualify on the medium tyre, there is a chance slower outfits may gamble on taking the supersoft option in Q3 - to get themselves at the front of the grid. That could result in a surprise car being on pole position.

"FP3 will be very, very important to compare between the option and the prime to see if the option is quick," said Hamashima. "If that is the case then maybe the grid will be interesting. Someone could take a risk with the option tyres for qualifying, and in that case we could have a little bit of a different story from the past races."

The graining experienced on Friday was caused by the tyres actually tearing, rather than excessive temperature, and Hamashima thinks the situation is on a knife-edge for teams.

"It is not normal graining because it seems the rubber is tearing, so not melting," said Hamashima. "The graining itself is a bit different, because the surface itself is very, very smooth – and smoother than two years ago. So the tyre isn't gripping, it isn't getting the proper temperature and there is no deformation - which is why the rubber tears off."

Hamashima thinks that the title-fighting teams may be forced to choose tyres that are better for the race than qualifying – with the top ten drivers having to start the race on the tyres they set their best qualifying lap on.

"I reckon it will be a minimum of two stops according to the current data," said Hamashima. "Maybe the top teams will use the supersoft in Q1 and then for Q2 and Q3, maybe they will use prime.

"With the current situation – the lap time difference between the prime and option tyre is very small. The super soft has better traction, however, it is poor with lateral support so the lap time itself is not so better. Also when the car is heavy, the option tyre is slower than the prime tyre – about 0.6 seconds."

Hamashima estimates that the current degradation prediction suggests that the medium will lose 7.0 seconds per half race distance, with the option a whopping 16.2 seconds per half race distance.

"Maybe the teams will start with the prime, then next stop prime, and then a very short stint with super soft. That looks like the best way."

When asked if anyone could risk trying a one-stop strategy, Hamashima said: "It's currently impossible. Even for very slow people, it's very, very difficult.

"In 2008 we saw the track improvement over the weekend was quite dramatic – and in that case they could use the super soft. But the current temperature is not so high, so it will be very, very difficult."

navanman

Looks like the teams are trying out the medium tyres to see can you get good qualifying times from them.

Pimpwerx

Poor F1 going up against World Cup and Messi. :( Who are the geniuses who set these session times? Should have moved the start time up a bit today. Especially qualies, because Brits are gonna be watching America kick their ass all of the pitch. :D PEACE.

Pimpwerx said:
Poor F1 going up against World Cup and Messi. :( Who are the geniuses who set these session times? Should have moved the start time up a bit today. Especially qualies, because Brits are gonna be watching America kick their ass all of the pitch. :D PEACE.
This is why humans have two eyes.

navanman

Whats wrong with Rosberg's car? He hasn't gone out and they are doing some serious looking work on it.

McLaren now out on the super-softs to see what the lap time difference is like.

And Hamilton goes quicker again by 2/10 and then Di Grassi crashes with 10 seconds left in the session

Hamilton hit the wall too. Looks like no damage...

navanman

Time to make my changes to my fantasy team. Going with McLaren, Force India, Total, Petrov & Chandook.

Deadman

Will be an interesting qualifying, may have our first non red bull pole sitter.

With McLaren often having superior race pace compared to their qualifying pace they may get the chance to run away with it if they can do well.

For my fantasy team im taking Trulli/Kovalainen/McLaren/McLaren/Mobil1(McL)

navanman

WOW, its a bit of a gamble but it could pay off really nicely. Lotus have a knack of not being able to get both cars to the finish and lets hope McLaren pull it off for you.

Pimpwerx

I'm making some safe bets for my fantasy team. If I'd just gotten one more bet right last week, I wouldn't have to play it safe. From next race I should be able to field a good team with one good driver. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

RBR is sandbagging. Their qualifying pace is still a tenth or two ahead of McLaren here. Both Webber and Vettel were 2 tenths faster through S1 than Lewis, about even in S2 and then sandbagging through S3. The few fast S3 times they clocked didn't look far off McLaren's. I'm betting on Webber for pole, but a McLaren 1-2 with Webber 3rd in the race. First time since the first race that I feel good about my bets. PEACE.

Brainboy

Pimpwerx said:

It doesn't clash with any game, though. The actual qualifying is due to start in about 45 minutes, and should be over about half an hour before the England v USA game starts. The same should be true tomorrow, as the race starts an hour earlier than qualifying does today, i.e. it should also be finished before the Germany v Australia game.

Pimpwerx

Brainboy said:
It doesn't clash with any game, though. The actual qualifying is due to start in about 45 minutes, and should be over about half an hour before the England v USA game starts. The same should be true tomorrow, as the race starts an hour earlier than qualifying does today, i.e. it should also be finished before the Germany v Australia game.
Nope. The game starts during Q2. FP3 was during the Argentina-Nigeria game, which was an awesome game. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

I had to hedge my bets to make things fit. I went Petrov/Chandhok/RBR/McLaren/Total. If I'd won one more bet last week, I'd have gone with Liuzzi instead of Petrov but Petrov was a smart choice because of the commissioner fee savings. I'm just wondering if I should have bet on Lewis for pole. I picked Webber, but I'd love to be wrong. PEACE.

navanman

Q2 is good so far too, very close. Hamilton still quickest on hard tyres, other set their times on the faster soft tyre.

S. L.

hm my drivers did pretty abysmal (kob, bue) but that was to be expected. didn't want to waste my funds reshuffling them to other midfield drivers :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom