• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pimpwerx

LOL! Out of fuel. :lol That was an awesome lap. He didn't even get it right through S2, but destroyed S1. I want to see an onboard, because he flew through that sector 2 tenths quicker than he had all weekend. Wow! Look at him push the car. :lol PEACE.

S. L.

Arhal_Katarn said:
So Hamilton is on the soft tyres? If he doesn't get away from Webber and Vettal by his first pit stop he is fucked basically.
there is no way he can get away, so he will be sacked guaranteed. But i would say RBR's prime tyre choice was rather unorthodox, but it will probably pay off

Pimpwerx

Arhal_Katarn said:
So Hamilton is on the soft tyres? If he doesn't get away from Webber and Vettal by his first pit stop he is fucked basically.
Why? If he gets off the line fine, he might be able to hold Webber off. Maybe not Vettel since he's crazier, but probably Webber. There's only one place to overtake, and he's got the straightline advantage. OTOH, if the Red Bulls get out in front, then when their softs start going off, they should fall back to the prime runners, and the McLarens will be able to overtake here. I don't know why RBR did what they did.

On the fantasy league, I could have had Liuzzi and Senna, now that I look at it. Would have been much better than my choice of Petrov and Chandhok. OTOH, I might benefit from having a Red Bull and McLaren duo. PEACE.

megateto

And this is why sometimes qualy is really amazing. I feel sorry for the ones who missed it, incredible job by Hamilton, my heart was pumping really fast XD!

olore

Lol at Lewis hanging out of the doctors car waving at the crowd with a "Keep the roads safe" slogan on the back window

Pimpwerx

olore said:
Lol at Lewis hanging out of the doctors car waving at the crowd with a "Keep the roads safe" slogan on the back window
Another hoon violation incoming. :lol

Wall of champions means that there's bound to be a safety car. I'm really not sure Red Bull made a good call at all.

The highchairs and headsets is a bit odd. I'm not sure the drivers are gonna like that after hot races when they're all sweaty. PEACE.

Tarazet

Pimpwerx said:
LOL! Out of fuel. :lol That was an awesome lap. He didn't even get it right through S2, but destroyed S1. I want to see an onboard, because he flew through that sector 2 tenths quicker than he had all weekend. Wow! Look at him push the car. :lol PEACE.

I thought they had to qualify with a full load of fuel..? And then race on that same tank?

S. L.

Pimpwerx said:
Why? If he gets off the line fine, he might be able to hold Webber off. Maybe not Vettel since he's crazier, but probably Webber. There's only one place to overtake, and he's got the straightline advantage. OTOH, if the Red Bulls get out in front, then when their softs start going off, they should fall back to the prime runners, and the McLarens will be able to overtake here. I don't know why RBR did what they did.
i think most if not everybody will two stop. so there will be only a very short soft stint. which will probably an advantage for RBR if they run them on a lighter fuel load with better track condition

Tarazet said:
I thought they had to qualify with a full load of fuel..? And then race on that same tank?
that was last year

Pimpwerx

S. L. said:
i think most if not everybody will two stop. so there will be only a very short soft stint. which will probably an advantage for RBR if they run them on a lighter fuel load with better track condition
Ah, right. The track will have rubbered-in even more by then too. I hadn't thought of that. Now I'm quite impressed with their qualifying performance.

Vettel and Webber looked a little forlorn in that presser, and I'm not entirely sure it's because Lewis beat them to pole. :lol PEACE.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
I think starting on the option soft tyre is the right option.

The prime takes time to warm up and its going to leave Vettel and Webber very vunerbale to Alonso & Button on the first 3 laps especially on the straight.

Deadman

Governing body the FIA require teams to provide a sample of their fuel and McLaren told Hamilton he would run out if he came back to the pits.

The F1 rules do not explicitly forbid stopping on the final lap for this reason, but the stewards are investigating the situation.

Please dont do that.

navanman

http://adamcooperf1.com/2010/06/12/hamilton-pole-under-threat-from-fia/

The FIA is looking into Lewis Hamilton’s actions on his in-lap after securing pole in qualifying in Montreal.

Hamilton was told by the team to stop on the circuit because he was so marginal on fuel that he was in risk of not having enough left for the FIA sample at the end of the session. The car must have at least 0.5kg in the tank for scrutineering purposes.

He stopped on the straight before the pits and after coasting for a while, got out and pushed, before being picked up by the medical car and given a lift home.

The question mark is over the fact that drivers are given a lap time within which they have to return to the pits during qualifying, a legacy of the fuel saving days of several seasons ago.

One chief engineer from a rival team told me: “It’s definitely illegal, they took advantage by cheating. Otherwise next time we’ll all put one less lap in the cars.”

While clearly there has to be some provision for drivers suffering a genuine mechanical problem after setting a time, it would seem that McLaren has some explaining to do…

navanman

Adam Cooper says he is now 100% certain Hamilton will lose his pole time because of the in-lap issues.

navanman

S. L. said:
Lewis gets a reprimand and a fine of $10,000 but does not lose pole position

sauce: twitter

PHEW!! We know the FIA wants a good race tomorrow so McLaren/Hamilton got off lightly.

Hot sauce!!

Deadman

Considering my entire fantasy team rests on mclaren im more than slightly happy with that. :D

Also if hamilton wins i win £106, so i care about that too.

navanman

Whats the chance of rain tomorrow during the race. I can't remember it being mentioned during qualifying but the weather looks risky.

Pimpwerx

Oh well. I honestly expected some silly bullshit to cause his pole to be yanked. Fantasy league better update my bet then. PEACE.

torontoml

navanman said:
Whats the chance of rain tomorrow during the race. I can't remember it being mentioned during qualifying but the weather looks risky.
Looking at the weather forecast, there is 40% chance in the afternoon. but looking at the radar I'd say closer to 0%

Animal

Banned
I was at the qualification today.

Hamilton's ability to hustle his car is a level above everyone on the field. So much so that I was constantly comparing it to Ayrton Senna's greatest laps. Especially his famous Monaco pole position lap in the Honda McLaren.

You could see it in his face that he knew he just pulled one of, if not the greatest, lap of his career. That people was a perfect lap of Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.

Pimpwerx

In the fantasy league, I think I have the best team of the leaders. I think I'm gonna leapfrog JTF1, but I'm not convinced I can quite hold you off, SL. It all depends on how McLaren finishes tomorrow, because I think you have me beat with drivers.

Animal said:
I was at the qualification today.

Hamilton's ability to hustle his car is a level above everyone on the field. So much so that I was constantly comparing it to Ayrton Senna's greatest laps. Especially his famous Monaco pole position lap in the Honda McLaren.

You could see it in his face that he knew he just pulled one of, if not the greatest, lap of his career. That people was a perfect of Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.
Nice. I envy you. What turn were you sitting at? PEACE.

Animal

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
I love watching a race live. Who was the fastest through the hairpin? Who had the most-creative line? PEACE.

Hamilton had the latest breaking out of everyone.

Schumacher, Hamilton and Kovalainen had the nicest lines.

Retards of the hair pin are Felipe Massa and Kobayashi.

What a fantastic track!!

Was at Qualifier today (what sucks is that I didn't know my tickets were valid for friday as well... oh well).

I had General Admission tickets but I managed to sneak into the stands. AWESOME AWESOME SEATS! :p Will have to just camp out early for today cause I won't get stands that easily again and I'll need to sit beside the track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4ASIFwkbZU I was at the stands on the right at 0:14, then I moved around to get the action much closer.

Chris R

jey_16 said:
so was Hamilton on the option and the Red Bulls on the prime?
Yes.

Really wish I was there :( Looked like an insane qualifying session :lol

Any other lower class races going on this weekend as well?

Disappointing performance by Button. :( Hamilton really pulled out all the stops, though, and I'm so glad Schumacher got knocked out of the top 10. :D Let's hope that continues for the rest of the season and he retires again.

navanman

Looks like Chandook's sponsors haven't paid up to keep Chandook in F1 and he could be replaced soon.
Karun Chandhok's seat at HRT could be under threat as a result of his sponsorship not materialising.

Chandhok secured the drive with HRT after he brought with him up to $5 million of backing, which was vital to the cash-strapped newcomers. But it seems his backers have not been able to deliver as promised, forcing HRT to look around for alternatives.

Chandhok acknowledged in Montreal that the Indian corporate world has not fully backed him, while angling for a Force India seat "at some point in my career".

"I've been chasing [Indian] sponsors for years in GP2 and Formula Three and stuff, and there are people who want to get involved but are sitting on the fence," Chandhok admitted. He said sponsors have been divided over whether to back an Indian driver or the Force India team.

The Hindustan Times reported HRT's boss, Colin Kolles, was in talks with potential replacements. Former Midland and Spyker racer Christijan Albers may be one potential candidate. He has F1 experience and has driven for Kolles' F1, DTM and Le Mans teams.

Albers, 31, said earlier this week that he might soon return to F1 "with the help of my loyal sponsors. I have a partner that just might give that final push".

Referring to 'sources', the Hindustan Times said Narain Karthikeyan and Pastor Maldonado, and HRT third driver Sakon Yamamoto, might also be in the running for Chandhok's drive.

Chandhok's influential father, the high-ranking Indian motor racing official Vicky Chandhok, is in Montreal this weekend.

http://en.espnf1.com/hrtf1/motorsport/story/20194.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

navanman

Deadman said:
Mike Gascoyne of Lotus thinks no rain during the race but some showers after it.

BBC weather says no rain and 25 degree temps:
25uscht.jpg

Pimpwerx

navanman said:
Looks like Chandook's sponsors haven't paid up to keep Chandook in F1 and he could be replaced soon.

http://en.espnf1.com/hrtf1/motorsport/story/20194.html?CMP=OTC-RSS
Of all the Cosworth runners (including Lotus), he's the best driver of the 6. That's my opinion, but he's been faster than Trulli a couple times this weekend, and that's in a Hispania car. Lotus was a second or two down the road from them at season start. It would suck if Senna can keep his seat eventhough he's much slower than Senna. Some sponsors need to step up. Or if Sutil gets poached from Force India, maybe they can take him on. PEACE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom