• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pimpwerx

Pterion said:
Definitely won't rain. Weather looks nice. Hamilton to make it 6 out of 8 today in the teammate wars?
But those two sting a lot. ;) It's not even like Jenson was faster than him on those days either. He just made great calls. It should be 8 of 8. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

For those that don't know, the race is broadcast on Fox today. That's what TVGuide.com is telling me anyway. I wonder who they're gonna have call the race. I don't think they use the SPEED crew, although they really should. Used to be my favorite crew. PEACE.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Hamilton, Alonso & Webber top 3 would make my weekend!!

I have a sneaky feeling about Alonso this weekend, definitely one to watch.

Dead Man

navanman said:
Hamilton, Alonso & Webber top 3 would make my weekend!!

I have a sneaky feeling about Alonso this weekend, definitely one to watch.
Flip those around and I would be rapt. :lol

Followed of course by a 1 all draw against Germany. :D

S. L.

unless there is an early safety car the ones starting on options will have shot themselves in the foot.

So if there are not major incidents early on i am betting on a RBR 1-2

Pimpwerx

Dead Man said:
Le Mans just finished, F1 in 2 hours, then Australia vs Germany right after. Best weekend of sport, ever? Maybe!
There was a UFC event last night too. With McLaren looking fast, I've been rather stoked all weekend. Oh yeah, F1 in my timezone is always tits. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

S. L. said:
unless there is an early safety car the ones starting on options will have shot themselves in the foot.

Might as well plant a Hispania or Virgin in that wall of champions. I'd bet on a safety car. PEACE.

navanman

S. L. said:

I reckon with the higher temperatures and rubbered in track that the options will last longer today. The options were destroyed not because of graining on Friday but because of low temps and track surface.
Hirohide Hamashima - Bridgestone Director of Motorsport Tyre Development

What was significant about today's running?

"The dirty track surface here and the cooler than usual temperatures meant that graining was today's talking point. The tyres were not able to work to their full potential due to not reaching their best operating temperature. This meant the tyres were sliding, causing transverse graining on front tyres from braking and transverse graining on the rears from traction demands. We expect that the track surface will continue to improve with more rubber laid, and the graining will diminish. Weather forecasts also predict warmer temperatures which will be beneficial too.

navanman

S. L. said:
Quote:
f1fanatic_co_uk Apparently Webber's had a gearbox change penalty, will lose five places on the grid. #F1
hm hm :/

WOW, thats bad for both RBR cars IMO. Vettel on the wrong side of track and open to Alonso getting him off the line and good for Button too!!

navanman

What a fucking joke, He is so clueless, changing to HD will drive more people to switch to it full time.

Formula 1 fans will have to wait until 2012 for the championship to be broadcast in High Definition, the sport's commercial boss Bernie Ecclestone has predicted, despite increasing calls for the switch.

The recent Formula 1 fan survey showed that a majority of fans were keen for F1 to be broadcast in HD - but leading figures from the sport have told AUTOSPORT that there are still big hurdles to be faced before coverage can step up from standard definition.

While Ecclestone says camera technology is now ready for his F1 production coverage to be done fully in HD, he thinks there still needs to be more fans at home able to watch it in HD, plus enough broadcasters ready to distribute it, before the move can be made. That is why he thinks it may well take until 2012 for the circumstances to be right for F1 to switch to HD coverage.

"We don't want to broadcast unless people want it," Ecclestone told AUTOSPORT. "I asked in England, the BBC, about it - how many people can receive it? They said about 20 per cent of the viewers who watch F1.

"Then I want to make sure that what we produce is top quality. Before we start seeing the top-top quality that we want, I would say it will probably be 2012 before we can guarantee it."

Ecclestone says the onus is on the broadcasters to have both the desire to have HD coverage, and be sure that there are enough viewers able to watch it at home to make it worth it.

"I said to the broadcasters, are you going to get more viewers, will more people watch F1 because it is HD or will less people watch it because it isn't? They really need to have a check and see who has got the right televisions.

"I don't think the average public realise that it is not the television, they have to have something to receive it as well. It is like producing a colour signal when people only have black-and-white sets."

Ecclestone has been working in unison with F1 sponsors LG on evaluating HD coverage of F1, and the electronics giant also thinks that there is still another 18 months before the sport can make the switch.

Andrew Barratt, LG's vice president of marketing and global sponsorship, said that evidence of how the technology still needs improving came in Monaco last year when HD cameras trialled there could not cope with the vibrations encountered in trying to film cars through the tunnel, as the recording discs kept skipping frames.

"F1 is probably the most technologically complex sport in the world to shoot," Barratt told AUTOSPORT. "The environments in which they are shooting make it very complex and very difficult.

"It is not an easy thing to do and perfecting it takes time. We've learned with F1 is that the same cameras that shoot all the other sports in the world get under stress in environments like the Monaco tunnel. It takes a long time to get it right.

"You also have to have figured out every single camera. If it is in HD for a while and then you cut to a car and it is not HD it will be a real let down for the viewer. Technologically it is really hard and people don't appreciate how difficult it is. They will figure it out and when they do they will bring it to our house."

Barratt also echoes Ecclestone's view that the main stumbling block is actually whether consumers are ready in big enough numbers to make the HD move economically viable.

"There is an economic model that is required to get it from the track to our house, and all of us have a stake," he said. "It is really easy to say, I would like to have it at home in HD but it is going to cost far more – it is going to cost the broadcaster more and it is going to cost the consumer more.

"When all three of us are ready to get together, then I think it will happen. It is one thing saying you want, but another taking your share of the responsibility to bring it. When we see more people take up HD at home as a basic service, that will be the tipping point. It is on all of us to make it happen – but when it does it will be awesome."

He added: "Bernie said to me the day I met him: 'The day the consumer is truly ready – not saying he is ready – but truly ready, meaning he will pay for it and the broadcasters are ready, I am ready. But I am not going to send down a signal that nobody can digest, because that is just silly.'"

Experiments have taken place at this weekend's Canadian Grand Prix with new 3D cameras – both taking on-track and on-board footage. But although that prompted speculation that F1 could go straight from standard definition from 3D, the technology is still too early in its development phase to even be considered for F1.

"So many people are saying the future is 3D," said Ecclestone. "It is not 3D at all. It is one-and-a-half D."

AndyD

aka andydumi
navanman said:
What a fucking joke, He is so clueless, changing to HD will drive more people to switch to it full time.

No wonder people don't want to watch anymore. I watch ESPN and Speed and just about every other sport event is in HD nowadays. Including fishing tournaments and weird small events.

It really is a sad state in F1 with Bernie around. Its like the dark ages.

Deadman

When they had that LG survey earlier this year didnt the vast majority of people say they wanted f1 in hd? The guys insane.

At least he doesnt like 3d though, that parts good.

Dilly

Banned
156237.jpg

Kubica :lol Really pushing that Renault to the limit.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Kleegamefan said:
3D="One and a half D"

Never change Bernie!:lol
:lol

Anyway, race is almost a go, Soft Tyres vs Hard Tyres, McLaren vs Everyone else...

This will be an epic start...

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Felipe Massa!!! What the HELL was that? He smacked Button like a fish then Liuzzi about 3 times?

First 3 buggering off. Kobayashi forced into the wall too. Frantic stuff.

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Luizzi playing bumper cars :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom