• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

tengiants

Roto13 said:
Who said anything like that?

Are you arguing that any of these games aren't classics? Congrats, you only play games once ever and then forget them forever. If you don't like classic Nintendo games, you've bought the wrong handheld.

Yes, that's what I'm finding. It's not even that I play the games once. I own these games already. Hence the disappointment.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Roto13 said:
Who said anything like that?
Nintendo in the press releases about it.

- Famicom titles won't have instruction manuals and will not be compatible with simultaneous two player play at first
- final paid versions will have these features
- ambassadors can upgrade for free when the final versions are available
- Game Boy Advance VC titles will also lack instruction manuals
- view manuals online
- Game Boy Advance titles will disable the system's Spot Pass and Street Pass features
- will not be able to transfer them to other 3DS systems once Nintendo makes available software for transferring games between 3DS systems

dallow_bg said:
So any speculation as to why you can't transfer the Ambassador Games to a different 3DS should you decide to switch?

Because the functionality isn't available in the 3DS firmware yet. That functionality is coming in a future system update.

GeekyDad

Linkzg said:
early adopters got a raw deal

it's perceived value. like when Sony gave out free games for stolen data, or Microsoft for Xbox Live downtime. I would have never bought those games, and I haven't played them because I have games I bought and want to play. But it was a cheap and easy way for those companies to make amends.

Well, that's why you perceive it as a "raw deal." I would have bought every single one of those GBA games Day 1 -- holy cow, they really aren't fucking around with their GBA selection! -- and even if it was just the five GBA games at a conservative $8 a pop, that's already a decent gesture.

There's no denying it's a cheap way out -- on that we can agree -- but they aren't obligated to offer squat. But anyone who bought a 3DS at or around launch (like myself) already knew a price drop and revamp would follow shortly after, whether it was a year and a half from now, or less than six months. Unfortunately, Mother Nature zapped Japan pretty hard back in March. Combine that with what seems like a poorly conceived marketing campaign on Nintendo's part, and the system greatly underperformed. With Vita on the way, it's a relief to see Nintendo hasn't completely jumped the shark by insisting on keeping the price the same as we close in on the holiday season.

Either way, I think early adopters who are excited for these games and would have purchased them as VC, of which I suspect there are many of us, probably are excited at the prospect. Two retail carts vs. 20 VC games I can have on my system menu at all times and not have to carry around with me separately? The choice is easy for me.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Nuclear Muffin said:
Because the functionality isn't available in the 3DS firmware yet. That functionality is coming in a future system update.
It specifically says it won't work WHEN that feature is released.
Kind of how like you can't transfer certain DSiWare titles.

- Game Boy Advance titles will disable the system's Spot Pass and Street Pass features

Ooh interesting, missed that little tidbit. I wonder if it's running natively on the original DSi BC hardware then and not being emulated? (So they wouldn't have to write an emulator for this promotion)

That would mean that multiplayer would not be supported then (at least until they officially release these games and run them in an emulator)

dallow_bg said:
It specifically says it won't work WHEN that feature is released.
Kind of how like you can't transfer certain DSiWare titles.

If I'm right in my guess here, maybe it's because it isn't actually counted as a 3DS downloadable game?

I sure hope it's the v. 1.1 of Mario vs. DK with the fixed time limits that Europe and Japan got, so getting gold stars won't be impossible.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Ooh interesting, missed that little tidbit. I wonder if it's running natively on the original DSi BC hardware then and not being emulated? (So they wouldn't have to write an emulator for this promotion)

That would mean that multiplayer would not be supported then (at least until they officially release these games and run them in an emulator)

If I'm right in my guess here, maybe it's because it isn't actually counted as a 3DS downloadable game?

I don't think the DSi has the hardware for the GBA built-in.

AbsoluteZero said:

Yes it does. All 2D DS games use exactly the same 2D hardware as the GBA (just with the colour restriction removed and the clock speed of the ARM 7 CPU doubled)

If you removed the GBA hardware from a DS/DSi, no 2D games would display properly. As the 3DS uses the original DSi hardware for BC (which is why Streetpass and Spotpass deactivate when you run an original DS game), it must also be able to play GBA ROMs natively.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
AbsoluteZero said:
I thought teardowns confirmed the hardware inside DSi.
Leading to that speculation that DSiWare would get it's own VC shop long ago.

MedIC86

Sorry if already answered but how do i get these games?

I registerd my 3DS on the site with the starcode,
i logged in the E-shop etc.

Anything else i need to do ?

Thanks

Mrbob

Anth0ny said:
Woah GBA? Awesome.

Yup, this is the best part about the free games. The NES games are a bit meh but those GBA freebies look good, and hopefully Minish Cap is one of the future ones.

Poyunch

MedIC86 said:
Sorry if already answered but how do i get these games?

I registerd my 3DS on the site with the starcode,
i logged in the E-shop etc.

Anything else i need to do ?

Thanks
Wait until September?

I was super excited, but I don't like this "Can't Transfer the GBA games" bit. I've got scratches on my upper screen and I was gonna system transfer my stuff to a new 3DS when a new color came out and now I can't... :(

I wanna get this. I was looking looking for Best Buy's official policy.

BestBuy.com Price Match Guarantee

If you find a lower price on BestBuy.com or in a Best Buy Retail Store for the same brand and model during the exchange and return period, we will match that price. For purchases made on BestBuy.com, we will not match our competitors' store or website prices. Please call 1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289) for all BestBuy.com Price Match Guarantee transactions.

The BestBuy.com Price Match Guarantee does not apply to Best Buy Retail stores or BestBuy.com for:

* Offers that include shipping charge discounts, gift with purchase, services, financing, bundling of items, free items, pricing errors, mail-in offers and online only offers.
* Items that are limited-quantity, out of stock, open-box, clearance, Outlet Center, refurbished/used, and items for sale Thanksgiving day through the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

Learn More
Best Buy Retail Store Price Match Guarantee

If you find a lower advertised price on the same available brand and model prior to your purchase or during the exchange and return period, we will match that price. Simply bring in the ad of the local retail competitor or Best Buy, while the lower price is in effect and receive your price match.

The guarantee does not apply to our competitors' website pricing and the guarantee does not apply to our or our competitors':

* Offers that include financing, bundling of items, free items, pricing errors and mail-in offers
* Items that are limited-quantity, out of stock, open-box, clearance, Outlet Center, refurbished/used items and items for sale Thanksgiving day through the Saturday after Thanksgiving

Learn More

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Help-To...00050067.c?id=pcmcat204400050067#use_pmretail

Nuclear Muffin said:
Yes it does. All 2D DS games use exactly the same 2D hardware as the GBA (just with the colour restriction removed and the clock speed of the ARM 7 CPU doubled)

If you removed the GBA hardware from a DS/DSi, no 2D games would display properly. As the 3DS uses the original DSi hardware for BC (which is why Streetpass and Spotpass deactivate when you run an original DS game), it must also be able to play GBA ROMs natively.

Oh, okay, maybe I'm confusing it with the Game Boy Micro no longer having the GB/GBC hardware internally.

El Pescado said:
I was super excited, but I don't like this "Can't Transfer the GBA games" bit. I've got scratches on my upper screen and I was gonna system transfer my stuff to a new 3DS when a new color came out and now I can't... :(

Call up or e-mail Nintendo. If you're got scratches caused by the bottom screen you've covered by your warranty.

So, if I bought and registered the game at launch with Club Nintendo what am I getting for free?

10 NES VC Games
+
5 GBA VC Games

?

September?

Anth0ny

I would fucking buy both Metroid Fusion and Super Mario Advance 3 at a convention last month =P

Whatever, they're both fucking awesome. I regret nothing!

I hope Minish Cap and Metroid Zero Mission are downloadable.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
DoctorWho said:
So, if I bought and registered the game at launch with Club Nintendo what am I getting?

10 NES VC Games
+
5 GBA VC Games

?

September?

10 NES VC games including the 5 in the OP
10 GBA VC games including the 5 in the OP.

The question is does this make me finally want a 3DS? I want to play Zelda & Pilotwings, but the hardware leaves me disappointed, waiting for a revision.

Sadist

I've got Fusion/Yoshi's Island/Warioware Inc. as boxed titles already.

Oh well, the other seven will make up for it.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Sadist said:

I own the carts for all the revealed GBA games so far.
I more than likely own the carts for the remaining ones as well. I don't care too much about GBA games unless some oddity pops in.

Anth0ny

Sadist said:

Seriously. I can't believe they're actually giving away 10 GBA games for free. That's kind of insane. I mean, I'd understand NES/GB... but GBA? Wow.

Not that I'm complaining =)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
digita1alchemy said:
So I am guessing GBA titles will look as terrible fullscreen on the 3DS as DS games do? Their screen resolutions are somewhat similar.
I'm guessing there will be a border like there are for Gameboy titles.

KAL2006

Banned
I personally think a bunch of rom dumps of old ass games is a pretty lame compensation for being screwed over for buying a 3DS for so much when a price drop happens only 3 months after release. Nintendo definitely screwed the early adopters, they should have at least offered Nintendo points instead. It also doesn't help some early adopters got the dreaded screen scratching problem as well.

jackdoe

These free games aren't enough to make me want to pay a $80 premium to get them for free. Good for Nintendo though to try to make it up to early adopters.

AbsoluteZero said:
Call up or e-mail Nintendo. If you're got scratches caused by the bottom screen you've covered by your warranty.
But what if they send me a new system and I don't get it back in time to qualify for the free stuff? The scratches are also kinda tiny and only really noticeable if there's a strong light behind me so I feel like kind of a douche raising hell about them. :/

Easy_D said:
I'm guessing there will be a border like there are for Gameboy titles.

Yeah, but by fullscreen I meant upscaled to the image's maximum size without affecting the aspect ratio like you can do with DS and GB games, but it makes them blurry. I imagine we'll be able to play the GBA games in their native resolution as well, they'll just be super tiny.

I was initially excited for the GBA titles, but I own 4 of the 5 announced games games and have a perfectly good DS Lite to play them on, so I am starting to wonder how much use I'll get out of these :\

methodman

Banned
jackdoe said:
These free games aren't enough to make me want to pay a $80 premium to get them for free. Good for Nintendo though to try to make it up to early adopters.
you can buy it from a handful of retailers (best buy, toys r us, target) and they do 30 day price match guarantee's now. buy it now for 250, get 20 free games, and get your 80 bucks back.

i bought a 3ds on launch day and don't regret it at all. 20 free games is nothing to scoff at either

Fixed1979

Good on Nintendo for offering anything, it was a pleasant surprise when I saw this thread. I wasn't expecting to see a price drop before the fall but it really wouldn't have made a difference to my day 1 purchase had I known.

jackdoe

methodman said:
you can buy it from a handful of retailers (best buy, toys r us, target) and they do 30 day price match guarantee's now. buy it now for 250, get 20 free games, and get your 80 bucks back.

i bought a 3ds on launch day and don't regret it at all. 20 free games is nothing to scoff at either
Yeah. I had completely forgotten about that 30 day price match guarantee!

KAL2006 said:
I personally think a bunch of rom dumps of old ass games is a pretty lame compensation for being screwed over for buying a 3DS for so much when a price drop happens only 3 months after release. Nintendo definitely screwed the early adopters, they should have at least offered Nintendo points instead. It also doesn't help some early adopters got the dreaded screen scratching problem as well.
It's 5.5 months after release. But who's counting.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Are people really complaining about this? You knew the risk of being an early adopter of a piece of tech, It goes with the territory. Nintendo doesn't really owe you anything. 20 free games are a Godsend.

Nuclear Muffin said:

There's actually a lot of other enhancements but that's not important right now.

To do 100% guaranteed GBA emulation you'd probably need enough memory to store the whole ROM, which wouldn't have been possible on DSi for the largest GBA games. There was already homebrew support for GBA ROMs on DSi but I don't know how good that got.

TheNatural

My Member!
So, how is Nintendo going to actually track who does and doesn't have a 3DS before the price drop? Do you register your system or something to do it?

El Pescado said:
But what if they send me a new system and I don't get it back in time to qualify for the free stuff? The scratches are also kinda tiny and only really noticeable if there's a strong light behind me so I feel like kind of a douche raising hell about them. :/

It's your account that qualifies for the free stuff, not the system. Besides, if you send it in now Nintendo ain't gonna take five weeks to get it back to you.

Top Bottom