• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

TheNatural

My Member!
MikeE21286 said:

Ah ok. I was hoping if I got one later on I could find a way to shoehorn my way into getting them. :p

I guess you could do the price guarantee thing, but I probably won't get one in August. They should put Link to the Past on the GBA list though, that should be a gimmie.

chemicals

I love all the free games being given out these days... first the PS3 network fails and they give free games to say "I'm sorry" and now Nintendo says their own "I'm sorry" for being an early adopter of their 3DS before the price drop.

Now all I need is for Xbox live to go down for a few weeks and they'll be giving away games too! bonus!

GeekyDad

KAL2006 said:
I personally think a bunch of rom dumps of old ass games is a pretty lame compensation for being screwed over for buying a 3DS for so much when a price drop happens only 3 months after release. Nintendo definitely screwed the early adopters, they should have at least offered Nintendo points instead. It also doesn't help some early adopters got the dreaded screen scratching problem as well.

Compensation? What do current 3DS owners need to be compensated for? Buying a system early? That's not exactly a defect with the system. If you chose to buy a 3DS early, you did so because you (myself included) were impatient to wait for the inevitable. Sure, the price cut came earlier than initially expected, and lower than what I'm sure most folks expected, but they don't need to compensate us for shit. They're making a gesture of good will. It's a fair gesture, and to think otherwise is simply to be unreasonable in my opinion.

TheNatural

My Member!
GeekyDad said:
Compensation? What do current 3DS owners need to be compensated for? Buying a system early? That's not exactly a defect with the system. If you chose to buy a 3DS early, you did so because you (myself included) were impatient to wait for the inevitable. Sure, the price cut came earlier than initially expected, and lower than what I'm sure most folks expected, but they don't need to compensate us for shit. They're making a gesture of good will. It's a fair gesture, and to think otherwise is simply to be unreasonable in my opinion.

Yup exactly. You know what they say about a fool and his money. If you didn't think it was a good deal at the time, you should have waited. This is a hell of a lot more than any other company gives out for their price drops. Hell, this is half the timespan that a new iPhone or iPod touch comes out - you think Apple comps people that have the outdated version? Hell no.

Graphics Horse said:
There's actually a lot of other enhancements but that's not important right now.

Yeah, but it's still the same basic underlying hardware, meaning that GBA ROMs can run natively without being altered in any way (That's how Mega Man Zero collection works)

dallow_bg said:
It specifically says it won't work WHEN that feature is released.
Kind of how like you can't transfer certain DSiWare titles.

If my theory is right, it'll be using the same upscaler as the 3DS uses for GBA titles (meaning that you won't be able to make games fill the screen, even when not using 1-1 mode). It'll look exactly the same as DS games do on the 3DS.

They will just be running GBA ROMS by putting the 3DS hardware into DS mode. That explains why Streetpass/Spotpass won't work while playing these GBA games.

When the GBA VC gets launched officially, the games will probably look better (though not perfect) when running in full screen mode as they'll be able to taylor the upscaling to better fit the GBA resolution. You'll probably also be able to run them without boarders as well in full screen mode (you'll also get the cool 3D GBA boarder that GB/GBC VC games get when you run them in 1-1 mode) and they'll be able to support multiplayer and other hardware features (assuming that Nintendo decides to build support into the emulator)

If you have Megaman Zero Collection. Stick that in your 3DS. That is what these GBA VC games will look like until they officially release the GBA VC service

Graphics Horse said:
There's actually a lot of other enhancements but that's not important right now.

To do 100% guaranteed GBA emulation you'd probably need enough memory to store the whole ROM, which wouldn't have been possible on DSi for the largest GBA games.
What is important right now is why the hell wouldn't Nintendo have any plans for GBA games on the eShop? If the hardware is basically the same, then it should be easier to get GBA games up and running than NES games. Not that a NES emulator is hard to make, especially not for Nintendo, but it should require more time to make sure the NES game runs properly.

Snaku said:
Gimme DuckTales NES and we'll calls it even, Nintendo.
That's definitely not going to happen.

TheNatural said:
So, how is Nintendo going to actually track who does and doesn't have a 3DS before the price drop? Do you register your system or something to do it?

I'm still simply astonished by this offer. This is easily over $100 in perceived value, so you'd have to be a fool if you didn't buy a 3DS now, register it and go back to get the price adjusted.

Nintendo isn't fooling anybody. GBA games will eventually be offered for sale. Iwata isn't stupid.

Sorry to derail this thread, but if I buy a bigger SD card for all my memory, and for all these games coming out, how do I transfer the data from the stock SD card?

AndyMoogle said:
What is important right now is why the hell wouldn't Nintendo have any plans for GBA games on the eShop? If the hardware is basically the same, then it should be easier to get GBA games up and running than NES games. Not that a NES emulator is hard to make, especially not for Nintendo, but it should require more time to make sure the NES game runs properly.

Well regardless of what they said, they do/did have 'plans' or they wouldn't be able to do this, it's just a matter of when they wanted to start. It might have been that they were prepping some of those games as 3D remakes, but gave up or postponed it for this face saving gesture.

ConradCervantes said:
I'm still simply astonished by this offer. This is easily over $100 in perceived value, so you'd have to be a fool if you didn't buy a 3DS now, register it and go back to get the price adjusted.

Nintendo isn't fooling anybody. GBA games will eventually be offered for sale. Iwata isn't stupid.
But if they are going to be on sale eventually, why can't we transfer the GBA games? We'll be able to transfer the NES games. Or was that part just bs?

impirius

TheNatural said:
Yup exactly. You know what they say about a fool and his money. If you didn't think it was a good deal at the time, you should have waited. This is a hell of a lot more than any other company gives out for their price drops. Hell, this is half the timespan that a new iPhone or iPod touch comes out - you think Apple comps people that have the outdated version? Hell no.
When Apple dropped the price of the original iPhone from $600 to $400, they gave recent purchasers a $100 credit. It's not exactly the same thing, but it's not as if there's no precedent for this sort of thing.

I have a launch 3DS and think this is a nice gesture by Nintendo that, incidentally, doesn't really cost them anything.

AndyMoogle said:

Because they want to try and feign ignorance in order to not kill the sales of the 3DS from now until August 12th (They would've been planning on releasing details of the service at a much later date - probably E3 2012)

_woLf

Severely withholding judgement until I know the rest of the free games. Again, I appreciate what they're doing, and it's better than nothing, but I'd easily, easily take a $30 straight-up loss to have $50 credit in the e-shop over the gba/nes games. I already have played/own most, if not all of these games :(

dallow_bg

nods at old men
SUPER DESTROYMAN said:
Sorry to derail this thread, but if I buy a bigger SD card for all my memory, and for all these games coming out, how do I transfer the data from the stock SD card?
Pure copy and paste of the file structure.

oatmeal

Banned
I find it interesting that they aren't just releasing them for their normal price for the new adopters.

The ambassadors get it free, and everyone else pays. Like Excitebike 3D.

Roto13

SUPER DESTROYMAN said:
Stick your SD card into a computer and copy everything from it, then copy it from your computer to your new SD card. The card itself isn't tied to the system or anything, just the data on it.

Provider

SUPER DESTROYMAN said:

Use a PC to copy every folder and file to the new SD card.

angelfly

oatmeal said:
I find it interesting that they aren't just releasing them for their normal price for the new adopters.

The ambassadors get it free, and everyone else pays. Like Excitebike 3D.
Well considering the games aren't finished yet it makes sense.

Yuterald

This sounds like a pretty sweet deal. There are some nice games in those lists and there are 10 more total we don't know about. I was a launch day 'ambassador' and I don't regret my purchase. I spent a lot of time with my 3DS so far, 50+ hours with Steel Diver & OoT remake to name a few. The first party stuff looks great and I'm sure we will get some nice 3rd party stuff over the years to justify it even more.

This still doesn't excuse the way they are treating the Wii in its final years. This 3DS decision is good PR and everything, but they have another system out there that is severely lacking titles and attention. I seriously don't give a fuck about Wii U because I have a Wii RIGHT NOW. Release those Operation Rainfall titles and maybe I'll forgive their incompetence.

Insaniac

so you need to have registered your nintendo DS system on club.nintendo before the price drop to qualify for these games?

edit: read above posts, so just need to log onto e-shop

The Lamp

Quick question: I got my 3DS used and never bothered messing with the settings. Is your eShop/etc. account tied per 3DS or is it tied to an account that you can make?

In which case, if so, how would I make a new account for myself on the 3DS?

what if i am linked to my club nintendo account? how does that work, if i logged in and etc , can i log in from another 3DS with my club nintendo account and get the games?

sorry for being vague haha

LosDaddie

Banned
AbsoluteZero said:
All you gots to do is log into the eShop.

Download a freebie, say, the Pokedex, just to be sure.

I DLed the Excitebike 3D remake and the Netflix app. I should be good for the 20 free games, right?

angelfly

The Lamp said:
Quick question: I got my 3DS used and never bothered messing with the settings. Is your eShop/etc. account tied per 3DS or is it tied to an account that you can make?

In which case, if so, how would I make a new account for myself on the 3DS?
Tied to the system itself.

Gravijah

friskykillface said:
what if i am linked to my club nintendo account? how does that work, if i logged in and etc , can i log in from another 3DS with my club nintendo account and get the games?

sorry for being vague haha

If you linked your account, you've been on the eShop, no?

SUPER DESTROYMAN said:
Copy it to a PC or something, switch cards, copy it back to the new card.

Gravijah said:
If you linked your account, you've been on the eShop, no?

yes, but what if i sell the system then, and in the future pick up another one, and then i enter the eshop with my club nintendo account, will i still get the free games?

The OP and thread title have to be updated. Log in to the eShop before August 12th, and you'll be able to get the free games when they are released.

friskykillface said:
yes, but what if i sell the system then, and in the future pick up another one, and then i enter the eshop with my club nintendo account, will i still get the free games?
No.

angelfly

friskykillface said:
No

friskykillface said:

Nope, you can't transfer these games to another system.

Big One

Banned
Man holy shit, I dunno how I'm gonna fit all of these games on my Home screen, lol. I already have a good amount of DSi games that fit neatly on there.

jwluther

Yeah, I was about to post that I'm almost out of room on my home screen. It's moronic to even have a limit to the number of icons -- if I've got the space on my SD card, why limit how many icons I can show on the system?

They need to fix that crap in an update.

Londa

Banned
Hold the heck up? I get gameboy advance games that will never be on the 3DS once the price drop???? Wtfffff

bananaman1234

Unconfirmed Member
I thought more icons were added once space fills up. I read that a few times somewhere here. Anyways I wish there was a VC app/folder that I could hold all VC games.

Top Bottom