• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

MooMoo

shadyspace said:
IF there is a GBA Zelda game, it has to be MC. LTTP is already on the eShop.
What? Link's Awakening is on the eShop. I'm pretty sure LTTP isn't. Unless you're including the Wii VC.

I'd take Minish Cap though. Such a great game that I wouldn't mind replaying at all.

BY2K said:
There's gonna be a Zelda game on the list of GBA giveaways, I'm sure, the question is: Which one? ALTTP or MC?

I want MC, really.
I don't think there will be honestly. There also won't be a SMB or DKC game I'm guessing. Zelda, SMB and DK will be represented on the NES side.

Likewise I don't see us getting NES metroid since we're getting Fusion.

Amir0x

Banned
I really would be so happy if Minish Cap was the one. One of the best looking GBA games, super rad gameplay and concepts, and I haven't played that one in the order of 5000 times like LttP.

I doubt that'll be the one, though. Just don't think Nintendo would aim for the lesser known Zelda in the collection.

TheNatural

My Member!
Mario Kart Super Circuit was badass, I still remember the hand camps from trying to play that on the original GBA and trying to sold the shell from behind, jump slide, and all that shit at the same time. Man, it was horrible on my hands.

Glass Joe

Late to this thread, but this is really cool news. 20 games, and a lot of them classics, free. Takes the pain away from the price drop I'd be screwed on, which they didn't have to do.

One other question (I apologize if it's been discussed but this thread is already huge): Will currently owned NES games (bought from Wii) eventually be transferable to the 3DS? I don't want to buy the same games AGAIN but would like them on the go. And IMO, I own them digitally, and a digital sale should be a digital sale.

DSN2K

Amir0x said:
I really would be so happy if Minish Cap was the one. One of the best looking GBA games, super rad gameplay and concepts, and I haven't played that one in the order of 5000 times like LttP.

I doubt that'll be the one, though. Just don't think Nintendo would aim for the lesser known Zelda in the collection.

isn't Minish Cap (Nintendo/Capcom) so they might not be keen with its 3rd Party background.

Javier

Glass Joe said:
Late to this thread, but this is really cool news. 20 games, and a lot of them classics, free. Takes the pain away from the price drop I'd be screwed on, which they didn't have to do.

One other question (I apologize if it's been discussed but this thread is already huge): Will currently owned NES games (bought from Wii) eventually be transferable to the 3DS? I don't want to buy the same games AGAIN but would like them on the go. And IMO, I own them digitally, and a digital sale should be a digital sale.
I wouldn't count on that. Nintendo hasn't said anything regarding it, but knowing them, while technically possible, it seems like a serious longshot.

I really doubt that LttP is one of the GBA games. I think it is a better game than Minish Cap, and would greatly prefer LttP, but isn't Four Swords being released for free to everyone? It would be kind of odd giving Ambassadors two copies of the game.

Boney

Banned
DSN2K said:
isn't Minish Cap (Nintendo/Capcom) so they might not be keen with its 3rd Party background.
I'd assume they'd have one big fat contract just for this.

Would love to see MC there, my third favourite Zelda probably.

super mario advance (Mario 2)
super mario advance 2 (super Mario world)
super mario advance 4 (super Mario bros 3 )
Donkey kong country
Drill Dozer :D

Haha I hope but it's a long shot that Drill Dozer will make it :(

Oh I forgot about Wario land 4, that'll make it I guess.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Roto13 said:
They're not going to bive out Pokemon RSE when they're next in line to be remade.

But they can put out FireRed/LeafGreen, unless they intend to remake those again too.

Yagharek

Is there a time limit to when we have to have downloaded the free nes games by? i.e. if I can't download them til mid September do I miss out?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
RandomVince said:
Is there a time limit to when we have to have downloaded the free nes games by? i.e. if I can't download them til mid September do I miss out?
I don't think anyone has an idea if there's a time limit... But if there were one, I highly doubt they'd only give you two weeks.

Since they haven't said anything about a deadline, they'll probably give Ambassadors a nice big window... if not make it free to download at anytime.

Emitan

It's a small thing, but I hope we don't have to individually download 20 games one by one. I'm lazy.
KuGsj.gif

BocoDragon

RandomVince said:
Cheers for that boco. And I assume I am already down as an ambassador from when I got excite bike 4 weeks ago.
You most assuredly are.

Amir0x

Banned
Boney said:
I'd assume they'd have one big fat contract just for this.

Would love to see MC there, my third favourite Zelda probably.

Cloud Dungeon (MC) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sky Chicken Dungeon (TP)

Real talk.

emb

Billychu said:
It's a small thing, but I hope we don't have to individually download 20 games one by one. I'm lazy.
KuGsj.gif

Yeah, trying to download all the e3 trailers/Excitebike/Pokedex was incredibly annoying. So clunky and slow going through the menus.

Ideally SpotPass will download them for us, or at least there will be one eShop choice to start 10 downloads or something. Realistically, it will probably be like downloading anything else.

You're right though, it is a small thing I guess. The extra 80 was the price of getting a 3DS 5 months early, there would be no reason for me to expect anything else out of it.

TyRaNtM

Neo Member
In GBATemp, there is this email from NOA, about 2 games that they didn't mentioned yet:

IPJ7V.png

- Kirby & the Amazing Mirror
- Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3

Dunno if this is real, or they mistake the second one with Yoshi's Island, but maybe we got both.

TyRaNtM

Neo Member
Billychu said:
How is the port of SMW? I'd rather have that over SMB3.

They added voices like other Marios in GBA, Luigi is like in SMB2 (USA) with a higher jump and other little things.
But the SNES version is still superior.

BY2K

Membero Americo
TyRaNtM said:
In GBATemp, there is this email from NOA, about 2 games that they didn't mentioned yet:

IPJ7V.png

Dunno if this is real, or they mistake the second one with Yoshi's Island, but maybe we got both.

Pretty sure he got the GBA games mixed up. If it's real.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I'm perfectly fine with SMB3 and Kirby & the Amazing Mirror. SMB3 is always good to have, and I would like a Kirby game since I have played few of them. I seriously doubt it is real though.

I went out and got a 3DS today. I was always gunna get one but those extra games are very enticing. Decided I would not go back for price correction to save money. Doing things like that makes me feel dirty.

I bet Mario 3 is a typo, assuming this is real. The rep probably saw Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island and thought of Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 instead.

Takao

Banned
I own, and have played through Yoshi's Island GBA like 5 times, so that not being one of the free games would be swell.

Boney

Banned
Amir0x said:
You know what would be amazing? Mario Golf: Advance Tour.
Is that and Mario Tennis GBA actually good?

Was pretty hyped for them since I loved the GBC versions, and my gaming magazine I used at the time said they sucked, so I lost all enthusiasm.

Hmmm

Boney said:
Is that and Mario Tennis GBA actually good?

Was pretty hyped for them since I loved the GBC versions, and my gaming magazine I used at the time said they sucked, so I lost all enthusiasm.

Hmmm
I was under the impression that the Mario sports games were really good, though they aren't really my cup of tea.

I still think the GBC versions of both are better, but a few years back I tried Mario Golf GBA and it really was quite good. Enjoyed the entire campaign and had a good dose of nostalgia to the GBC version. (That being said it does miss out on a lot of the detail and secrets.)

Bryan1321

Banned
So, i keep reading about this program

and it Says, by conecting to the eshop before august 12

So, why some Gaffers are registering on club nintendo?, i mean, that isnt avaliable in every region

Bryan1321 said:
So, i keep reading about this program

and it Says, by conecting to the eshop before august 12

So, why some Gaffers are registering on club nintendo?, i mean, that isnt avaliable in every region
If you register your 3DS e-Shop on Club Nintendo, you get free Club Nintendo coins. Has nothing to do with this promotion.

Takao

Banned
I'd buy Natsume a copy of every Medabots video game they didn't localize (which is basically all of them) if they celebrated the 10th Anniversary of the franchise in the west by partnering up with Nintendo for these giveaways. Which is crazy when you realize I only own 1 JPN Medarot game.

isny

napkin dispenser
06nbarnhill said:
I went out and got a 3DS today. I was always gunna get one but those extra games are very enticing. Decided I would not go back for price correction to save money. Doing things like that makes me feel dirty.

If you're in Canada, Costco has them for $169.99 already. (Maybe in the U.S. as well?)

TyRaNtM said:

IPJ7V.png

Probably a mixup, that list is missing a game we already know about (SMA3 Yoshi's Island)

One of the disadvantages of having non automated emails I guess!

mr_chun

Takao said:
I own, and have played through Yoshi's Island GBA like 5 times, so that not being one of the free games would be swell.
Nah, that is definitely one of them, it was listed in the press release.

watershed

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
Probably a mixup, that list is missing a game we already know about (SMA3 Yoshi's Island)

One of the disadvantages of having non automated emails I guess!
lol, they also list WareWare as one game and Inc: Mega Microgames as another.

BocoDragon

06nbarnhill said:
I don't know why. That's what price protection is for. It's not like you're scamming them. Best Buy and similar stores put polices in place just for that purpose: so you can feel comfortable buying from them now even if a price drop is immanent.

Tell a Best Buy manager that you got 20 free "ambassador" games and do you think he'll even give half a shit? He has to honor the price protection and he won't even care that you got freebees that were supposed to go with the old price point.

Nintendo's probably taking the hit anyway, not the retailer... a hit they would take if you had bought it now or after the price drop.

GeekyDad

I honestly wouldn't mind getting Drill Dozer. Never finished it, but I really enjoyed the time I spent with it. Mario Pinball Land would be cool, too. Never got try that one, but it looks fun.

I guessing the original Kid Icarus will be another of the NES offerings, since it can also pull double duty as a promo for the new game. And even though I already own the VC on Wii, I'd be happy with Kirby's Adventure.

carlo6529

I don't think i actually registered my 3DS, but I've logged on to the eshop before. Is that Good enough to get these free games when the time comes?

Edit~ no matter, i just read that email from Nintendo, that explains it clearly. It should probably be put in the OP.

zruben

Banned
Question:

Does the eshop gives you some message when you are registered to the Ambassador program??

I just went there, but there was nothing informing me about an ambassador program... how can I be sure that I'm in? did any of you got some sort of notification?

Top Bottom