• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
zruben said:
Question:

Does the eshop gives you some message when you are registered to the Ambassador program??

I just went there, but there was nothing informing me about an ambassador program... how can I be sure that I'm in? did any of you got some sort of notification?

No.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
TyRaNtM said:
In GBATemp, there is this email from NOA, about 2 games that they didn't mentioned yet:

IPJ7V.png

- Kirby & the Amazing Mirror
- Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3

Dunno if this is real, or they mistake the second one with Yoshi's Island, but maybe we got both.

Just curious--why the spoiler?

elohel

BocoDragon said:
I don't know why. That's what price protection is for. It's not like you're scamming them. Best Buy and similar stores put polices in place just for that purpose: so you can feel comfortable buying from them now even if a price drop is immanent.

Tell a Best Buy manager that you got 20 free "ambassador" games and do you think he'll even give half a shit? He has to honor the price protection and he won't even care that you got freebees that were supposed to go with the old price point.

Nintendo's probably taking the hit anyway, not the retailer... a hit they would take if you had bought it now or after the price drop.

wait itd be possible to buy one now then waltz back into best buy and just get a price match thing?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Aw, I wanted Nightmare in Dreamland. Amazing Mirror is alright though, maybe we will get Kirby's Adventure NES (Which does have some things over the remake, like Animated backgrounds and the butter building scrolling effects)

Gravijah

Drkirby said:
Aw, I wanted Nightmare in Dreamland. Amazing Mirror is alright though, maybe we will get Kirby's Adventure NES (Which does have some things over the remake, like Animated backgrounds and the butter building scrolling effects)

If true, it should help with the Amazing Mirror, Kirby Adventure theory.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Gravijah said:
If true, it should help with the Amazing Mirror, Kirby Adventure theory.
Really, Adventure is the better game IMO, but Amazing Mirror has some really nice concepts to it. I do enjoy some Metroidvania in my Kirby.

And it will be just like old times, where there is no one around to play co op with!

1-D_FTW

elohel said:
wait itd be possible to buy one now then waltz back into best buy and just get a price match thing?

Yes. Just play dumb if they give you a problem. If they don't want to do it, tell them you're returning it then. They'll give you the price match.

TheNatural said:
Mario Kart Super Circuit was badass, I still remember the hand camps from trying to play that on the original GBA and trying to sold the shell from behind, jump slide, and all that shit at the same time. Man, it was horrible on my hands.
Mario Kart Super Circuit is definitely one of the best in the series. In fact, it's only SMK and MKSC that I think are genuinely great in the series. They are more skill based, and I also prefer the flat go kart levels over the crazy level designs in the other games.

They are also the only games in the series that are fun even when you play on your own. The rest pretty much require a couple of friends to be enjoyable, imo.

Amir0x said:
You know what would be amazing? Mario Golf: Advance Tour.
Yes, that would be amazing. I still own the GBC version, but I sold the GBA version for some stupid reason.

PKrockin

I've already played Mario Golf Advance Tour to death over the years (200 hours, both characters max level) so I'm kind of hoping it's the Mario Tennis game instead.

1-D_FTW said:
Yes. Just play dumb if they give you a problem. If they don't want to do it, tell them you're returning it then. They'll give you the price match.

This isn't true, apparently. They have different SKU numbers, registered as different products, (especially to prevent this sort of thing, I'd guess).

whatevermort said:
This isn't true, apparently. They have different SKU numbers, registered as different products, (especially to prevent this sort of thing, I'd guess).

Do you have a source confirming different SKU's?

Because if thats the case what do they plan to do with all of the old 3DS's? Just keep selling them for 250? I would assume most stores would do a pricematch after the fact with little objection.

PKrockin said:
I've already played Mario Golf Advance Tour to death over the years (200 hours, both characters max level) so I'm kind of hoping it's the Mario Tennis game instead.
I didn't enjoy Mario Tennis. Both handheld versions were way too easy, and they felt kind of off somehow. Didn't like the gameplay at all in them.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
AndyMoogle said:
I didn't enjoy Mario Tennis. Both handheld versions were way too easy, and they felt kind of off somehow. Didn't like the gameplay at all in them.
The GBC one got pretty hard at the max level. GBA one was bad because of ass powerups so didn't get very far

I'm really happy to see SMA4. I just hope that they unlock the e-Reader content. Not so happy with Kirby & the Amazing Mirror. In the current state, I hope for Metroid, Kid Icarus, Kirby's Adventure, SMB2, and Zelda II on NES (assuming that Punch-Out!! is made a 3D Classic), and Advance Wars, The Minish Cap, and Superstar Saga on GBA.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
A Link to the Snitch said:
I'm really happy to see SMA4. I just hope that they unlock the e-Reader content.
Why do people still hope for things with Nintendo? Why? I need to know why. Seriously.

jooey said:
Why do people still hope for things with Nintendo? Why? I need to know why. Seriously.

...? I don't even know what the point of this post was. SMA4 having the e-Reader levels would require no effort on Nintendo's part. And if you're referring to the idea of SMA4 being in period, this is operating under the assumption that the email is legitimate and accurate. And if you're referring to my choices, it's not as if they are particularly unrealistic in any way.

dock

What are the five worst Nintendo published titles on GBA ?

I'm struggling to think of 5 really bad ones which aren't third party. I keep on thinking of Advance Wars, Fire Emblem and F-zero, which are all very good.

I'm rather glad Amazing Mirror picked. A really overlooked Kirby title, IMO.

dock said:

I'm struggling to think of 5 really bad ones which aren't third party. I keep on thinking of Advance Wars, Fire Emblem and F-zero, which are all very good.

That's why I'm so excited about this. No matter what they pick, we win! :D

Ken

Hm, I realized yesterday that because of time zone differences of where I'm at relative to Eastern time, I could get the price dropped 3DS at Gamestop on the 11th, get home, and log in to the e-shop while it's still late night August 10 in Eastern time.

Then again, I already have a 3DS. :(

Boney

Banned
dock said:

Amazing mirror is worse than all those 3 combined and Advance Wars AI cheats.

Combined is kinda weird since I'm adding positives...

well it's worse than any of them, even rage inducing ocd fire emblem

Emitan

AndyMoogle said:
Mario Tennis GBC was easy? Holy shit, you must be amazing at video games.

I really hope Super Mario Bros. 3 is a mistake. It's a good game but I don't need SMB3 on everything I own. So tired of it these days. :(

dock said:

Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Heartbreak
Hamtaro: Rainbow Rescue
Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Games
Sword of Mana
Top Gear Rally
Dynasty Warriors Advance
Yoshi's Universal Gravitation (Topsy Turvy)
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team

Debatable I suppose.

Boney

Banned
That mail seems bogus to me, the other 10 games haven't been decided, listed wario ware as 2 and probably just got confused with the mario title.

Doesn't explain shitty amazing mirror though.

Emitan

Anth0ny said:
Wow they are going to give us Super Mario Advance 4 with no way to access the e-reader stages.

damn it Nintendo.
No, they're going to make you use AR cards.
You know I'm right

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
A Link to the Snitch said:
...? I don't even know what the point of this post was. SMA4 having the e-Reader levels would require no effort on Nintendo's part. And if you're referring to the idea of SMA4 being in period, this is operating under the assumption that the email is legitimate and accurate. And if you're referring to my choices, it's not as if they are particularly unrealistic in any way.
Actually, it would, because the levels are actually on the Cards and not in the game.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
UncleSporky said:
Sword of Mana
Top Gear Rally
Dynasty Warriors Advance

Debatable I suppose.
Yes, because most of those are good games.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
UncleSporky said:
In the case of Top Gear, Topsy Turvy, Dynasty Warriors...not according to GameRankings.
I said most. Ham-Ham Games is also crap compared to the other 2 Hamtaro games.

Takao said:
Nintendo made a Dynasty Warriors game? That seems strange...
No, just published.

I love Kirby and the Amazing Mirror. Will multiplayer work for these games though? Keeping my hopes down, as per usual.

Only thing though, I wish they gave us WarioWare Twisted over the original one.

I've been thinking about something. Will these games be all stretched out like DS games are? I haven't played any VC games or anything so I have no idea at all.

UncleSporky said:
Sword of Mana
Top Gear Rally
Dynasty Warriors Advance

Debatable I suppose.
Nintendo might've co-published them, but Top Gear, Mana and Dynasty Warriors are all 3rd party.

M3d10n

Piercedveil said:
I've been thinking about something. Will these games be all stretched out like DS games are? I haven't played any VC games or anything so I have no idea at all.
Most likely. And since they're all "beta" versions, I doubt they'll have additional display modes like GB VC or DS/DSi/DSiWare. However, the NES games might run 1:1, since the original resolution is 224p. That's just 8 black pixels on top and on the bottom to fit on 240p.

M3d10n said:
Most likely. And since they're all "beta" versions, I doubt they'll have additional display modes like GB VC or DS/DSi/DSiWare. However, the NES games might run 1:1, since the original resolution is 224p. That's just 8 black pixels on top and on the bottom to fit on 240p.

I hope they can make it work well somehow. I'll play them either way, since the "stretching" of the DS games isn't too big of a deal for me.

Anth0ny

Billychu said:
Mario Tennis GBC was easy? Holy shit, you must be amazing at video games.

Yeah I got my ass rocked in that game when I was a kid. But it felt amazing when you finished it! I transferred my characters to Mario Tennis 64 and proceeded to destroy everyone =)

Top Bottom