• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

Thoraxes

BannedEpisode said:
Do you have a source confirming different SKU's?

Because if thats the case what do they plan to do with all of the old 3DS's? Just keep selling them for 250? I would assume most stores would do a pricematch after the fact with little objection.
If it means anything, Amazon has two different ASIN's for each of the systems. There's one for the $250 system, and a second one for the $170 system (for both colors of the system).

This is for each system too. They aren't simply dropping the price, they're replacing the product entirely. We'll have to wait till they hit the stores though to see for sure, but if most retailers are taking pre-orders for the cheaper system and not simply doing a price-drop, a new SKU seems more likely, given the evidence anyways.

Futureman

Zelda's I've beat:

-OOT
-Link's Awakening
-Wind Waker

played parts of:

-LttP (got near the end)
-one of the Oracles

I've maybe played 5 minutes of Zelda 1 NES. Still an enjoyable game? 8 dungeons?

Futureman said:
Zelda's I've beat:

-OOT
-Link's Awakening
-Wind Waker

played parts of:

-LttP (got near the end)
-one of the Oracles

I've maybe played 5 minutes of Zelda 1 NES. Still an enjoyable game? 8 dungeons?
Zelda 1 still probably my favorite. I replay it every 2 years or so, still holds up for me though it's much harder, stiffer, open and less forgiving than the post NES-games.

Yeah, there's 8 dungeons. Plus an entire second quest once you beat the game or using a name code, which unlike OOT MQ also remixes the overworld.

NEO0MJ

lunchwithyuzo said:
The only bad thing about free Zelda 1 NES is that it means the game probably isn't getting the 3D Classics treatment. :(

Chances are nintendo will stop making 3D classics after the initial 6, not worth the effort.

LovingSteam said:
huh? What do the 2 have anything to do with one another?
Originally: 3DS will get NES games via 3D Classics remakes. Games like Kirby's Adventure, Mega Man 2, Castlevania, Metroid, Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Bros. 3 and others were shown off.

Now: 3DS will get NES games in the Virtual Console. Turns out there are only six planned 3D Classics, and they take way more work than expected. Have fun with stuff like Excitebike or Urban Champion.

Roto13

lunchwithyuzo said:
Originally: 3DS will get NES games via 3D Classics remakes. Games like Kirby's Adventure, Mega Man 2, Castlevania, Metroid, Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Bros. 3 and others were shown off.

Now: 3DS will get NES games in the Virtual Console. Turns out there are only six planned 3D Classics, and they take way more work than expected. Have fun with stuff like Excitebike or Urban Champion.
Way to jump to conclusions. That's like saying Nintendo isn't going to make any more Zelda games because they don't have any plans past Skyward Sword.

Roto13 said:
Way to jump to conclusions. That's like saying Nintendo isn't going to make any more Zelda games because they don't have any plans past Skyward Sword.
It's not really. Nintendo's indications for 3D Classics a year ago versus a month ago were pretty different.

Besides, Aonuma's already talking about Zelda Wii U and Majora's Mask 3DS. ;)

NateDrake

lunchwithyuzo said:

And all the NES games being released are getting upgrades before the end of the year. We get them free early but they'll be upgraded in the future with multiplayer and whatever Nintendo adds to them. Saying 3D Classics are dead based is foolish. Who is to say the NES games they are releasing won't get some kind of 3D enhancement?

Cactus

Banned
Thoraxes said:
If it means anything, Amazon has two different ASIN's for each of the systems. There's one for the $250 system, and a second one for the $170 system (for both colors of the system).

This is for each system too. They aren't simply dropping the price, they're replacing the product entirely. We'll have to wait till they hit the stores though to see for sure, but if most retailers are taking pre-orders for the cheaper system and not simply doing a price-drop, a new SKU seems more likely, given the evidence anyways.

There are no reported changes to the hardware though. I think most, if not all places that have a price protection guarantee will follow through with it. It's the exact same product.

Turnstyle

The announcement of the free games saved my 3DS from going on eBay.

Job done Nintendo.

I've never played GBA Mario Kart. Is it like the Snes version? I absoultely played that to death back in the day.

I can't play MK these days thanks to the hideous rubber band AI, so I'm hoping the GBA version is a little fairer.

DarkWish

NintendoWorldReport is confirming Super Mario Advance 4 and Kirby & the Amazing Mirror as a part of the giveaway. They contacted NOA about that email and got further confirmation from them.

Thoraxes

Electivirus said:
...The Gamecube used the E-Reader? O_O
Yes. There's a station for it in the Post-Office.

Cactus said:
There are no reported changes to the hardware though. I think most, if not all places that have a price protection guarantee will follow through with it. It's the exact same product.
It's not because of the hardware changes: There aren't any. Remember how Nintendo is doing a price protection plan for all retailers? That's probably what it's there for. So they take inventory on how many of the old SKUs are in store stocks, they tell that information to Nintendo, and then the retailer receives a refund for the amount of systems corresponding to the old SKU. Since they do the shipments all the time, chances are that this is the easiest way for stores to use a computerized system to get all the information much quicker than it would be to scan each system by hand.

Also it's a hell of a lot easier saying "Hey we got 30 3DS systems in the back, get our refund. I don't know how many are the old systems."

dwu8991

Banned
Turnstyle said:
The announcement of the free games saved my 3DS from going on eBay.

Job done Nintendo.

I've never played GBA Mario Kart. Is it like the Snes version? I absoultely played that to death back in the day.

I can't play MK these days thanks to the hideous rubber band AI, so I'm hoping the GBA version is a little fairer.

GBA Mario Kart is great as a quick on the go 5 min play, but thats about it. Not having wi fi kills the game.

Thoraxes

Electivirus said:
why do I always miss these things jesus christ
I only found out about it because I got money from being a "soccer league senior" and decided to get one. It's really weird how these things come about.
Also my teen years... I had an unhealthy obsession with Animal Crossing. I even used to keep a day-by-day journal and wrote my impressions.

imthemaid said:
Wohhhh daddy. The 3ds has the same vertical resolution as the NES.

Wohh daddy!

Well, display resolution rather than rendering resolution, but yeah it's perfect. It's also the perfect resolution for SNES, MD/GEN, TG16 and N64 games too!

DarkWish said:
NintendoWorldReport is confirming Super Mario Advance 4 and Kirby & the Amazing Mirror as a part of the giveaway. They contacted NOA about that email and got further confirmation from them.

Unexpected! I would've thought that they would avoid releasing these ones since the 3DS won't be able to support the e-reader features or multiplayer until the service (and the actual GBA emulator) gets released!

I guess anything other than Yoshi's Universal Gravitation and Wario Ware Twisted are fair game then (since the games will be running in DS mode, there's no way for the games to use the 3DS' internal gyroscopic motion controls - making them literally unplayable)

beje

Banned
NateDrake said:
And all the NES games being released are getting upgrades before the end of the year. We get them free early but they'll be upgraded in the future with multiplayer and whatever Nintendo adds to them. Saying 3D Classics are dead based is foolish. Who is to say the NES games they are releasing won't get some kind of 3D enhancement?

Because 3D enhacement in 2D games means reprogramming them completely from scratch and redrawing a lot of stuff. It's not as easy as polygonal engined games where you just have to add a second camera and it's done.

TyRaNtM

Neo Member
So, if the rumored games are confirmed, add this images to the OP:

- Kirby and the Amazing Mirror:
Kirby%20and%20the%20Amazing%20Mirror%20(2).gif
1716b.png

- Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3.:
sma4loste14.png
mario-advance-4.png

I think, if they launch SMBA4: SMB3, the extras that they will add are e-Reader support, like a DLC.

Bear

I just bought a barely used 3DS at $150 thanks to the price cut, and I get the free games.

They may have screwed over early adopters, but I can't help but appreciate this awesome deal.

Shiggy

TyRaNtM said:
I think, if they launch SMBA4: SMB3, the extras that they will add are e-Reader support, like a DLC.

They'll probably just left out, as they did in Europe right from the start...

Lemonte

I'm really looking forward to playing Metroid Fusion. I always loved the first metroid on NES, but never got chance to play any of the sequels.

Bear said:
I just bought a barely used 3DS at $150 thanks to the price cut, and I get the free games.

They may have screwed over early adopters, but I can't help but appreciate this awesome deal.
Early adopters had good games to play like SSFIV, DOA, Resident Evil Mercs, and Legend of Zelda. Plus they got free Excitebike, and are getting 10 free NES and 10 free exclusive (temporary?) GBA games. They aren't getting screwed over at all.

TyRaNtM said:

They could have you scan cards using the 3DS' camera. They already have object recognition libraries in use on the 3DS (as seen in AR games and Kid Icarus Uprising), all they need to do is just chuck those APIs into the GBA emulator. Hell they could even release more cards, like they intended to originally. Would be valuable for Nintendo to have another game that showcases the 3DS' AR capabilities!

Of course, we won't be seeing support for that until the service actually launches (since these releases aren't actually using an emulator yet, but instead are just using the DS BC Mode)

Mafro

lunchwithyuzo said:

The whole "only six planned 3D classics" was just a misquote from a recent Iwata Asks.

Nuclear Muffin said:
They could have you scan cards using the 3DS' camera. They already have object recognition libraries in use on the 3DS (as seen in AR games and Kid Icarus Uprising), all they need to do is just chuck those APIs into the GBA emulator. Hell they could even release more cards, like they intended to originally. Would be valuable for Nintendo to have another game that showcases the 3DS' AR capabilities!

Of course, we won't be seeing support for that until the service actually launches (since these releases aren't actually using an emulator yet, but instead are just using the DS BC Mode)
I think having a new card sent to you daily and allowing trades with friends and strangers using streetpass would be far more interesting than actually releasing cards.

mclem

Lemonte said:
I'm really looking forward to playing Metroid Fusion. I always loved the first metroid on NES, but never got chance to play any of the sequels.

*Any* of them? Even ignoring the GBA titles - Not Super, nor the primes?

You're in for a treat.

Turnstyle

Lemonte said:

I've never played any side scrolling Metroid*, so I'm really looking forward to it too!

*Despite having owned every Nintendo console they were on. Whoops.

Roto13

I'm kind of disappointed that Super Mario Advance 4 is one of the games. I doubt we'll have access to the new levels and stuff. I'd rather just have the NES version....

I'm glad to see Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, though. I haven't played much of that game and I already have Kirby's Adventure on my Wii.

Firestorm

Fusion was a fun game. It's just not as good as Zero Mission. But seriously. Just give me Pokemon Emerald, Mario Tennis, and Advance Wars =( All will be forgiven!
Turnstyle said:

The GBA one is the closest to the SNES version. I'm sure there's still rubber band AI. I didn't play it much as I didn't have my own copy but it's my racing-game-fan friends' favourite Mario Kart.

Top Bottom