• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

Roto13

I mostly care about the blue shell rate. From Double Dash on, you can't stay in first place for mre than half a lap without getting bombarded with blue shells.

Turnstyle

Roto13 said:
I mostly care about the blue shell rate. From Double Dash on, you can't stay in first place for mre than half a lap without getting bombarded with blue shells.

THIS!

Shame, it's turned me off one of my favourite franchises.

I've already decided I'm not going to bother with the 3DS version because of this.

AbsoluteZero said:
I have trouble playing super circuit these days. It seems that the back-end of the karts swing out way too much, making turns difficult.
You need some actual skills for Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart Super Circuit. That's why they are the best games in the series.

Roto13 said:

Double Dash is my absolute favorite in the series...

Me, my cousin and my brother played the game to death... easily one of my most played games last gen.

And unlike Mario Kart Wii, in Double Dash you can easily dodge blue shells without the need of items... you just need to do a mini-turbo at the precise time. It was a lot of fun.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I so hope that they include the e-reader levels, especially as we Europeans sadly never got them. This alone would be enough for me to excuse the price drop :)

Roto13

Fernando Rocker said:
Double Dash is my absolute favorite in the series...

Me, my cousin and my brother played the game to death... easily one of my most played games last gen.

And unlike Mario Kart Wii, in Double Dash you can easily dodge blue shells without the need of items... you just need to do a mini-turbo at the precise time. It was a lot of fun.
Better than nothing, I guess. (Does that work in Mario Kart DS?)

If I could turn off blue shells entirely, I'd probably go back to loving Mario Kart. The other day I formally declared on Twitter that I don't care about Mario Kart any more, though. :p

JimboJones

Blue shells behave differently in super circuit, it acts more like a super red shell. Taking out any one who gets in it's way as it travels to the guy in first place.

Boney

Banned
Princess Skittles said:
Fusion is pretty awesome is you like an awkwardly text heavy, linear Metroid.
Text heavy? Oh cmon! It has at most 300 words all scattered throughout. And linearity makes it awesome.

Bgamer90

Banned
Turnstyle said:
I've never played GBA Mario Kart. Is it like the Snes version? I absoultely played that to death back in the day.

I can't play MK these days thanks to the hideous rubber band AI, so I'm hoping the GBA version is a little fairer.

Yep. Mario Kart: Super Circuit (aka Mario Kart GBA) is basically "Super Mario Kart 2".

The game builds on the overall layout of Super Mario Kart on the SNES with it having coins, being "Mode 7", having similar course designs, and just having the overall fun (& pick up and play) nature of Super Mario Kart.

So yeah, if you loved SNES Mario Kart, you'll really like the Mario Kart for the GBA. It's basically a modern day (well 2001) version of Super Mario Kart (imo).

Gonna go buy my 3DS today! Woo! Fingers crossed they won't pull some kind of trick with the new SKU to make a price-mach after the drop impossible, but I almost feel like these games are worth the full price at this point.

Edit: God damn Reward Zone. Why do they have a waiting period for turning your points into coupons? I have like $20 worth of points just sitting, waiting to be turned into coupons. This is fucking stupid I was gonna use them to buy Picross 3D :(

Roto13

I've never really enjoyed Metroidvania games so I'll gladly accept Metroid Fusion, being one of the more linear Metroid games. If there's a Metroid I have a good chance at enjoying, it's that one.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Bgamer90 said:
Yep. Mario Kart: Super Circuit (aka Mario Kart GBA) is basically "Super Mario Kart 2".

The game builds on the overall layout of Super Mario Kart on the SNES with it having coins, being "Mode 7", having similar course designs, and just having the overall fun (& pick up and play) nature of Super Mario Kart.

So yeah, if you loved SNES Mario Kart, you'll really like the Mario Kart for the GBA. It's basically a modern day (well 2001) version of Super Mario Kart (imo).

You can even unlock all of the original SNES tracks.

Tadale

Boney said:
Oh yeah I wasn't taking into consideration the navigation rooms which is kinda stupid since that's where most of the dialogue comes from.

Oh well. I still stand by that it's just as good as Super and Zero Mission.

It's still spread out enough that it's not really an issue.

I don't think it's as good as Super or Zero, but it's definitely one of the most under appreciated games in memory.

Tadale said:

I don't think it's as good as Super or Zero, but it's definitely one of the most under appreciated games in memory.
it's the scariest Metroid, which for me makes up for some of its short comings.

Bgamer90

Banned
MasterShotgun said:
You can even unlock all of the original SNES tracks.

Yep. For some reason I forgot about that (even though I unlocked them when I had the game; I gave the game to my brother back 5-6 years ago).

Bgamer90 said:
Yep. For some reason I forgot about that (even though I unlocked them when I had the game; I gave the game to my brother back 5-6 years ago).
i remember it took some doing and was a relatively late unlock. maybe that's why you forgot about it?

Tadale said:

Fusion's great. Reminds of Majora's Mask in that it takes a much different approach from the series norm, and really emphasizes narrative in a good way.

MooMoo

Metroid Fusion was my first Metroid game. If it weren't for Fusion, I wouldn't even care about the series, so it gets +1000 rating points from me! It's probably one of the few games I have ever decided to buy based off the cover art too. I really don't get the complaints it gets from other people as my only complaint is that it's an extremely short game.

Just got my 3DS! The last black one, too. Yesss.

To people wondering about buying now and doing a Price Match after the drop:

When I went to buy my 3DS, a manager walked over to the register. He and the cashier proceeded to tell me about the price drop coming on August 12th. I looked concerned and started to ask, "Well, should I just not buy it and wait?" They told me not to, because Nintendo was doing the Ambassador Program, giving people who got the system early 20 free games! I said, "Oh, wow, that's really nice of them!" The *manager* then went on to say "And we offer 30-day price guarantees, so once the price goes down to $170 just bring your receipt in and we'll refund you the $80." "Oh wow! Really?" I asked. He told me yes, Nintendo and Best Buy wanted to give back to people on both ends of the deal with the 20 free games from Nintendo and the $80 cash back from Best Buy.

So there you go. The cashier and the manager himself explicitly told me I could price match with my receipt to get the $80 difference back on the 12th.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
WordAssassin said:

When I went to buy my 3DS, a manager walked over to the register. He and the cashier proceeded to tell me about the price drop coming on August 12th. I looked concerned and started to ask, "Well, should I just not buy it and wait?" They told me not to, because Nintendo was doing the Ambassador Program, giving people who got the system early 20 free games! I said, "Oh, wow, that's really nice of them!" The *manager* then went on to say "And we offer 30-day price guarantees, so once the price goes down to $170 just bring your receipt in and we'll refund you the $80." "Oh wow! Really?" I asked. He told me yes, Nintendo and Best Buy wanted to give back to people on both ends of the deal with the 20 free games from Nintendo and the $80 cash back from Best Buy.

So there you go. The cashier and the manager himself explicitly told me I could price match with my receipt to get the $80 difference back on the 12th.

They sure know how to get customers back into their store. To give them money.
...wait.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
WordAssassin said:

Careful, your city is on your profile, Gamestop could read it and fire the manager. (They've been known to read and fire people based on GAF.)

Bgamer90

Banned
plagiarize said:
i remember it took some doing and was a relatively late unlock. maybe that's why you forgot about it?

Could be.

How would you guys feel about getting this for free?....

donkey-kong-country.6656726.jpg

Hey with that $80 I get back I'm more likely to spend it in their store on games or movies. (I spent like 400+ fuckin' dollars today on the 3DS and movies, Jesus) It's a good-faith thing to the customer. "Oh wow that was nice of him to tell me to do that I'll be sure to spend more money there in the future" or whatever.

Good customer service goes a long way.

Edit: Uh, I don't shop at GameStop. Fuck that place. This was at Best Buy. Also I don't live in SB anymore.

Shiggy

Bgamer90 said:
Could be.

Wouldn't they need to pay a fee to Microsoft for that as they ported it? Don't they get some money for each copy sold?

Takao

Banned
Let's review:

1) Medarot 3D is announced for 3DS
2) Broadcaster airing Medabots around the world (Kidsco) has contest to win a 3DS watching Medabots
3) September 1, 2001 - the date Medabots premiered on US television. September 1, 2011 - the date the Ambassador program for Nintendo 3DS owners begins.

Ekkehhhh, this is some puzzle but I might have pieces from a different set...

I gotta be like Parappa, I gotta believe.

TyRaNtM

Neo Member
Bgamer90 said:
Could be.

I love DKC, but.. the GBA ports are BAD.
SNES version are superiors (well, except DKC3 GBA that is the most similar to the SNES one).

Hope that other games will get a opportunity, like Advance Wars or Fire Emblem.

Bgamer90

Banned
TyRaNtM said:
I love DKC, but.. the GBA ports are BAD.
SNES version are superiors (well, except DKC3 GBA that is the most similar to the SNES one).

I really liked Donkey Kong Country for the GBA when I had it. Haven't played it in a long time though (5-6 years).

Cactus

Banned
I would be really happy if we get Advance Wars, mostly because it would be a confirmation that Nintendo still believes the series to be relevant.

Andrex said:
Donkey Kong Land for life.
Right on!

Vamphuntr

Takao said:
Let's review:

1) Medarot 3D is announced for 3DS
2) Broadcaster airing Medabots around the world (Kidsco) has contest to win a 3DS watching Medabots
3) September 1, 2001 - the date Medabots premiered on US television. September 1, 2011 - the date the Ambassador program for Nintendo 3DS owners begins.

Ekkehhhh, this is some puzzle but I might have pieces from a different set...

I gotta be like Parappa, I gotta believe.

Is Medabot GBA a Nintendo published or developed game? Why would they give it to you for free if it's not. I don't think they can give what they don't own. The list so far all show Nintendo games.

Bgamer90

Banned
Shiggy said:
Wouldn't they need to pay a fee to Microsoft for that as they ported it? Don't they get some money for each copy sold?

Really? I guess it's something that could happen considering that it's a Rare game....

Takao

Banned
Vamphuntr said:
Is Medabot GBA a Nintendo published or developed game? Why would they give it to you for free if it's not. I don't think they can give what they don't own. The list so far all show Nintendo games.

It's Natsume, but outside of a port, and a spinoff the franchise might as well be owned by Nintendo.

Shiggy

Bgamer90 said:
Really? I guess it's something that could happen considering that it's a Rare game....

I only know that devs usually receive payments during development and royalties when the game is a huge success. With the sales of the DKC series on GBA, which was ported by MGS UK aka Rare, I'd say that the games' sales would qualify as a success. Thus I'm not too sure whether DKC will be a freebie, neither Mario Pinball.

Vamphuntr

Takao said:
It's Natsume, but outside of a port, and a spinoff the franchise might as well be owned by Nintendo.

I doubt Natsume will let them give it for free then ;) ... unless Nintendo bought the franchise.

gotee12

Picked up mine today at my local Target in Winston Salem, NC today. They still had a few of both colors in stock. I asked to make sure they'd honor the price guarantee and the sales associate was kinda shocked at my question seeing as how he'd heard about a "rumored price drop" and "what are the odds you'd ask that question". lol

As a side note, I'm loving this thing. Either I didn't pay enough attention or Nintendo didn't market this thing very well. I'd be completely content with the purchase at $250.

Though I'd be a fool not to get the $80 back!

Cactus

Banned
Damn, my local Walmart was totally sold out. It looks like I might have to shell out the full $250 at FS/BB for the time being.

Top Bottom