• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

Bgamer90 said:
Could be.

How would you guys feel about getting this for free?....

donkey-kong-country.6656726.jpg
Hell no, there's enough platformers already. I'm all for Advance Wars and an RPG or two.

Not sure what I'd pick for the rest, but I really don't want this to more than half platformers.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Platformers > all.

I would prefer it to be 100% platformers. As long as they're good.

Bgamer90

Banned
dr3upmushroom said:
Hell no, there's enough platformers already. I'm all for Advance Wars and an RPG or two.

Not sure what I'd pick for the rest, but I really don't want this to more than half platformers.

lol goodness.

I could care less as long as they're good. I mean heck, we are getting these for free.

I like Advance Wars because it's kind of got Fire Emblem mechanics (sort of) but I feel no compulsion to keep my units alive at the expense of everything else and/or restarting if someone dies!

Takao

Banned
Vamphuntr said:
I doubt Natsume will let them give it for free then ;) ... unless Nintendo bought the franchise.

If Natsume cares about future support from I (in a Medarot 3D for 3DS kind of way), this would be the best marketing they could ever see.

But it won't happen.

GSR

I'm hoping so hard for Advance Wars 1 to get put up there. 2 would be fine as well, but it's been much longer since I played 1, and its art style is really fun to look at (the later games toned it down more and more until Days of Ruin went grimdark, which was a bit of a shame). Also I never actually beat the final mission when I was younger.

Talladega Knight said:
so the price drop is working?
Yes. All of the Big Three, (Target, Best Buy and WalMart) all have price match protection. I'd assume others like Fry's do too but check to make sure. Go happily buy a 3DS right now for $250, log into the eShop to ensure you get your games, and go back with your receipt on the 12th to get your $80 back.

WordAssassin said:
Yes. All of the Big Three, (Target, Best Buy and WalMart) all have price match protection. I'd assume others like Fry's do too but check to make sure. Go happily buy a 3DS right now for $250, log into the eShop to ensure you get your games, and go back with your receipt on the 12th to get your $80 back.
i got my 3ds on launch day, i was referring to whether or not the price drop was really moving 3ds's in a big way

GeekyDad

UncleSporky said:
I like Advance Wars because it's kind of got Fire Emblem mechanics (sort of) but I feel no compulsion to keep my units alive at the expense of everything else and/or restarting if someone dies!

Pretty much my exact feelings when it comes to FE. Don't get me wrong, I dig the series, enjoy the gameplay, but it can become a bit OCD after a while. In AW, it's all good so long as you win the mission. Let the bodies hit the floor, as they say...

Boney

Banned
GeekyDad said:
Pretty much my exact feelings when it comes to FE. Don't get me wrong, I dig the series, enjoy the gameplay, but it can become a bit OCD after a while. In AW, it's all good so long as you win the mission. Let the bodies hit the floor, as they say...
worst part of FE is leveling up and the stupid range system.

WordAssassin said:
You're assuming that the price match will work with this, which is rumored to be a separate SKU (Amazon is treating it as such). Price match will probably work, but I'm not confident enough to tell people "it will work, go buy a 3DS and you'll get your money back."

Dreamwriter said:
You're assuming that the price match will work with this, which is rumored to be a separate SKU (Amazon is treating it as such). Price match will probably work, but I'm not confident enough to tell people "it will work, go buy a 3DS and you'll get your money back."
Retailers are not going to have to separate SKUs of the same exact product selling at two wildly different prices.

b3b0p

I know we got Pilot Wings 3DS, but I really loved Pilot Wings 64. Also, I'd like to see them bring back some of the older RPGs instead of platformers/Mario/DK. Perhaps something like Golden Sun (the GBA games), Star Tropics + the sequel, Illusion of Gaia. Although Mother/Earthbound 1, 2, and/or 3 would be nice, it's day dreaming.

Neiteio

Just give me these 40 games, Nintendo, and all will be forgiven:

1. Super Mario Advance: SMB2
2. Super Mario Advance 2: SMW
3. Super Mario Advance 3: YI
4. Super Mario Advance 4: SMB3
5. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
6. Mario Kart: Super Circuit
7. Mario Golf: Advance Tour
8. Mario Tennis: Power Tour
9. Mario vs. Donkey Kong
10. Donkey Kong Country
11. Donkey Kong Country 2
12. Donkey Kong Country 3
13. DK: King of Swing
14. Game & Watch Gallery 4
15. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
16. The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
17. Metroid Fusion
18. Metroid Zero Mission
19. Golden Sun
20. Golden Sun: The Lost Age
21. Advance Wars
22. Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising
23. Fire Emblem
24. Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
25. F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
26. F-Zero: GP Legend
27. Pokemon FR/LG
28. Pokemon R/S/E
29. Pokemon Pinball: Ruby and Sapphire
30. Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland
31. Kirby and The Amazing Mirror
32. Mother 1 + 2
33. Mother 3
34. Wario Land 4
35. WarioWare: Mega Microgames
36. WarioWare: Twisted
37. Rhythm Tengoku
38. Drill Dozer
39. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
40. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow

Neiteio said:
Just give me these 40 games, Nintendo, and all will be forgiven:

1. Super Mario Advance: SMB2
2. Super Mario Advance 2: SMW
3. Super Mario Advance 3: YI
4. Super Mario Advance 4: SMB3
5. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
6. Mario Kart: Super Circuit
7. Mario Golf: Advance Tour
8. Mario Tennis: Power Tour
9. Mario vs. Donkey Kong
10. Donkey Kong Country
11. Donkey Kong Country 2
12. Donkey Kong Country 3
13. DK: King of Swing
14. Game & Watch Gallery 4
15. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
16. The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
17. Metroid Fusion
18. Metroid Zero Mission
19. Golden Sun
20. Golden Sun: The Lost Age
21. Advance Wars
22. Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising
23. Fire Emblem
24. Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
25. F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
26. F-Zero: GP Legend
27. Pokemon FR/LG
28. Pokemon R/S/E
29. Pokemon Pinball: Ruby and Sapphire
30. Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland
31. Kirby and The Amazing Mirror
32. Mother 1 + 2
33. Mother 3
34. Wario Land 4
35. WarioWare: Mega Microgames
36. WarioWare: Twisted
37. Rhythm Tengoku
38. Drill Dozer
39. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
40. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
You've just listed a really really awesome list. And you want them for free. I think you're delusional.

Neiteio

sonikokaruto said:
You've just listed a really really awesome list. And you want them for free. I think you're delusional.
Hey, we're getting at least a fourth of them for free. :)

And before some know-it-all points out the two third-party games (I don't count Minish Cap; Nintendo surely contracted the rights to it), this dream scenario entails Nitnendo soliciting contributions from Square-Enix (for Tactics Advance) and Konami (for Aria), because those two are franchise gems for the portable.

Anyway.

Neiteio

sonikokaruto said:
Don't turn this into gamefaqs. Please.
Bah, you're no fun! If you hate fantasizing, just interpret it as a pool of possible candidates for the remaining five (now three with Kirby and SMB3?) GBA titles to be revealed on the mysterious Ambassadors list.

On a side note, I'd pay a pretty penny for a compilation cart of GBA Greatest Hits. But they'll sooner make us pay for individual downloads, I bet.

Dreamwriter said:
Read the previous page. I'm not assuming anything, I was explicitly told by one of the managers at my local Best Buy to bring my receipt in on the 12th after the price dropped to get my $80 back. He detailed their price protection plan to me and told me even if I lose the receipt I'll still get the refund because the purchase will show up on my Reward Zone account. I didn't even ask about the price drop - he saw the cashier ringing my 3DS up and came over to tell me about it himself.

WordAssassin said:
Read the previous page. I'm not assuming anything, I was explicitly told by one of the managers at my local Best Buy to bring my receipt in on the 12th after the price dropped to get my $80 back. He detailed their price protection plan to me and told me even if I lose the receipt I'll still get the refund because the purchase will show up on my Reward Zone account. I didn't even ask about the price drop - he saw the cashier ringing my 3DS up and came over to tell me about it himself.

It would be hilarious if they didn't honer it for anyone. Just imagine all the rage in the world. I'm sure that won't happen though :p

Piercedveil said:
It would be hilarious if they didn't honer it for anyone. Just imagine all the rage in the world. I'm sure that won't happen though :p
I'd only be kinda miffed - I'm really digging my 3DS so far and that's just dicking around on the menu and in the eShop - I bought DK '94 but I haven't played it yet. The 20 NES/GBA games will be amazing. But yeah, it would be massive rage attack if they didn't honor it. That's like class action lawsuit stuff right there since they have the price protection guarantee printed not just on their site but on the back of every receipt. :p

WordAssassin said:
I'd only be kinda miffed - I'm really digging my 3DS so far and that's just dicking around on the menu and in the eShop - I bought DK '94 but I haven't played it yet. The 20 NES/GBA games will be amazing. But yeah, it would be massive rage attack if they didn't honor it. That's like class action lawsuit stuff right there since they have the price protection guarantee printed not just on their site but on the back of every receipt. :p

Yeah, which is why it would never happen! Haha, Best Buy or whatever would have some problems.. I bought mine day one and I don't really regret it. It's a good system and I've enjoyed it quite a bit so far, plus I'll get tons of games to play for a while. Worth my $250, in my opinion. But if I were in your situation, of course I'd take the $80 :p

jmoe316

I am sure this has been mentioned before but is there any talk that around Sept 1, a new firmware will come out with some kind of folder support or a way to better organize the menu (eg. VC icon on the menu instead of several icons). Just thinking of everyone suddenly having 20 slots filled in one day, that menu is going to be packed!

Piercedveil said:
Yeah, which is why it would never happen! Haha, Best Buy or whatever would have some problems.. I bought mine day one and I don't really regret it. It's a good system and I've enjoyed it quite a bit so far, plus I'll get tons of games to play for a while. Worth my $250, in my opinion. But if I were in your situation, of course I'd take the $80 :p
Yeah, it's a good deal for either side, but those of us who are getting their 3DSes close enough to the drop to take advantage of both better be thankful. (I know I am).

I honestly was going to just wait until either Mario 3D came out, or they did a redesign, or if I was strong willed enough wait for both. But this is just too sweet a deal to pass up. The 20 games easily makes up for the price difference in my opinion. Even if each was $3.99 on the eShop that's $80 right there, and we all know that these games would/will sell for more once they're officially released. The value Nintendo is giving early adopters is insane.

jmoe316 said:
I am sure this has been mentioned before but is there any talk that around Sept 1, a new firmware will come out with some kind of folder support or a way to better organize the menu (eg. VC icon on the menu instead of several icons). Just thinking of everyone suddenly having 20 slots filled in one day, that menu is going to be packed!
It's only the NES games on the 1st.

They really do need folders. I want all the crap I'd never use or use once a year in one folder: Music Player, Mii Maker, Health and Safety, Activity Log, Nintendo Video, etc. It's just clutter.

Bgamer90

Banned
F-Zero Maximum Velocity for the GBA was really good.

I would love to have that for free on my 3DS.

And speaking of F-Zero, a F-Zero for the 3DS would be SICK. I would prefer them to keep it in classic "mode 7" form but with improved graphics (& 3D).

Gravijah

Bgamer90 said:
F-Zero Maximum Velocity for the GBA was really good.

I would love to have that for free on my 3DS.

And speaking of F-Zero, a F-Zero for the 3DS would be SICK. I would prefer them to keep it in classic "mode 7" form but with improved graphics (& 3D).

f-zero climax has some of the best music in the series but that's another matter entirely

i <3 u gba musics

PKrockin

Boney said:
worst part of FE is leveling up and the stupid range system.

The semi-random leveling up is one of my favorite things about Fire Emblem. It makes subsequent playthroughs so much more fun when you have to change up your strategy and party balance based on your characters constantly changing stat distribution, or when you have to abandon characters with bad stat increases in favor of others.

WordAssassin said:

Good choice sir.

GeekyDad

DSN2K said:
I'd love a Pokemon game but I find it extremely unlikely Nintendo will ever give one away for free...

Yeah, my suspicion is they're not mentioning the other five games from each category because, well, they're probably not worth mentioning. I find it hard to believe they wouldn't frontload their Ambassador deal with the best they're willing to offer so as not to piss people off when the games actually release. At that point, the frustration of the early price cut will have cooled off. So, I wouldn't expect anything better (or perhaps even as good) as what's already been mentioned. Pokemon GBA games still have too much milk in dem utters to give them away for free.

PKrockin

GeekyDad said:
Yeah, my suspicion is they're not mentioning the other five games from each category because, well, they're probably not worth mentioning. I find it hard to believe they wouldn't frontload their Ambassador deal with the best they're willing to offer so as not to piss people off when the games actually release. At that point, the frustration of the early price cut will have cooled off. So, I wouldn't expect anything better (or perhaps even as good) as what's already been mentioned. Pokemon GBA games still have too much milk in dem utters to give them away for free.

Eh, my suspicion is they're not mentioning the other five games because Nintendo is secretive. We don't even know what's coming on 3DSware tomorrow.

I kind of like that half the games will be a surprise as long as it's not a bunch of crap.

Actually, one of the NES's revealed five is Ice Climbers. If the NES's lineup is frontloaded... God help us.

Turnstyle

Haven't 7 GBA titles been announced?

Yoshi's Island
Super Mario Bros 3
Metroid Fusion
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
Mario Vs Donkey Kong
Mario Kart Super Circuit
Warioware

Or have Kirby and Mario 3 not been officially announced yet?

mr_chun

Freezie KO said:
They really do need folders. I want all the crap I'd never use or use once a year in one folder: Music Player, Mii Maker, Health and Safety, Activity Log, Nintendo Video, etc. It's just clutter.
You dont compulsively check your activity log to see where your games rank in terms of time/times played, avg time played? Guess that just me. It's my second most used application (I know because I check it lol).

Top Bottom