• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

mr_chun said:
You dont compulsively check your activity log to see where your games rank in terms of time/times played, avg time played? Guess that just me.

I don't generally, but I monitored how Zelda was stacking up after each session when it first came out.

elohel

PKrockin said:
Eh, my suspicion is they're not mentioning the other five games because Nintendo is secretive. We don't even know what's coming on 3DSware tomorrow.

I kind of like that half the games will be a surprise as long as it's not a bunch of crap.

Actually, one of the NES's revealed five is Ice Climbers. If the NES's lineup is frontloaded... God help us.

nintendo really isnt that secretive, they post interviews about why they're developing games and the thought processes behind them

lol seems kinda open plus we've had multiple explanations for the price drop, not really much of a secret, plus they've revealed part of their lineup

i think they just didn't have anything else lined up and assumed just half assing releases would grant them a DS successor or something

LosDaddie

Banned
I've already DLed the Excitebike 3D remake and the Netflix app. I should be good for the 20 free games, right? Or do I need to register at Nintnedo?

And I'm one of the early adopters who doesn't feel cheated/slighted by the price drop. I've enjoyed my 3DS a good amount, and I got it for $200 by trading in my DSLite. I knew what I was getting into with being an early adopter. :)

PKrockin

mr_chun said:
You dont compulsively check your activity log to see where your games rank in terms of time/times played, avg time played? Guess that just me. It's my second most used application (I know because I check it lol).
I check it fairly often if I'm using the 3DS a lot.

LosDaddie said:
I've already DLed the Excitebike 3D remake and the Netflix app. I should be good for the 20 free games, right? Or do I need to register at Nintnedo?
All you needed to do was visit the eShop. You're golden.

elohel said:
nintendo really isnt that secretive, they post interviews about why they're developing games and the thought processes behind them

lol seems kinda open plus we've had multiple explanations for the price drop, not really much of a secret, plus they've revealed part of their lineup

i think they just didn't have anything else lined up and assumed just half assing releases would grant them a DS successor or something
I meant in terms of release dates and such, but yeah.

PKrockin said:
Eh, my suspicion is they're not mentioning the other five games because Nintendo is secretive. We don't even know what's coming on 3DSware tomorrow.

I kind of like that half the games will be a surprise as long as it's not a bunch of crap.

Actually, one of the NES's revealed five is Ice Climbers. If the NES's lineup is frontloaded... God help us.

Well, Japan got Nikori no Puzzle Kakkuro and Let's Golf 3D today and will get the Capcom Layton clone paid demo tomorrow. On VC, it was Alleyway and Nekketsu High School Dodgeball w/ Kunio-kun.

Next week, 3DSware will consist of Jazzy Billiards 3D Professional, 3D Classics Twinbee, and VectorRacing. The VC will get Card Hero on GBC.

As far as the NES lineup goes, here's what the Wii eventually got for Nintendo-published titles, with the announced freebies highlighted...

Donkey Kong
The Legend of Zelda
Mario Bros.
Pinball
Soccer
Wario's Woods
Donkey Kong Jr.
Ice Hockey
Tennis
Super Mario Bros.
Baseball
Urban Champion
Ice Climber
Kid Icarus
Kirby's Adventure
Excitebike
Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
NES Open Tournament Golf
Super Mario Bros. 2
Mach Rider
Yoshi
Balloon Fight
Metroid
Donkey Kong Jr. Math
NES Play Action Football
Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels
Super Mario Bros. 3
Volleyball
Wrecking Crew
StarTropics
Yoshi's Cookie
Donkey Kong 3
Clu Clu Land
Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II

EDIT: Also, the Wii didn't get the NES version of Dr. Mario due to the WiiWare version, but the Game Boy version is already available in Japan's 3DS eShop despite a DSiWare edition existing. Take that as you will.

Hopefully they didn't reveal the last 5 of each because they're in talks with other devs like Konami to get some of their games in there too.

Why would you do that? said:
If they put Kirby's Adventure on the 3DS, I will love Nintendo forever. Definitely the best NES game, better than the GBA remake.

The best NES game is Dragon Quest 4. :p

Seriously, thing is HUGE and well balanced and charming and full of stuff to see and do. It's a masterpiece.

Kirby is Nintendo's best first party game though (well, SMB3 gives it a run for its money).

PKrockin

Why would you do that? said:
If they put Kirby's Adventure on the 3DS, I will love Nintendo forever. Definitely the best NES game, better than the GBA remake.

Best game on the NES is going a bit far when SMB3 is a contender, but yes, Kirby's Adventure is definitely up there.

watershed

Banned
I just got a spotpass update about the ambassador program in the US. Probably same as the one in Japan. I'd be pretty excited if I didn't read gaming news then just saw this msg on my 3ds one day. I bet there's some little kid freaking out in America right now getting this.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Was it actually confirmed that we won't ever be able to move these games over to future 3DS revisions? I thought I heard that somewhere....

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I thought Kirby's Adventure was a bit boring. >_> But I played it after DL2 and SSU.

@MUWANdo

Banned
BocoDragon said:
Was it actually confirmed that we won't ever be able to move these games over to future 3DS revisions? I thought I heard that somewhere....

It came from an Andriasang translation of something a NOJ rep said, I think. Can't remember if it applied to all the ambassador games or just the GBA games, though.

BocoDragon

@MUWANdo said:
It came from an Andriasang translation of something a NOJ rep said, I think. Can't remember if it applied to all the ambassador games or just the GBA games, though.
Based on the fact that the NES games are definitely getting upgraded to the sale versions, I imagine they can make the jump, at least.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
@MUWANdo said:
It's Nintendo. Assume the worst, always, forever.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
My hope is that StarTropics is one of the games that's being given to the Ambassadors. And my dream is that this is to judge reactions to the game to bring the series back. I'd love, love, love a new StarTropics.

BocoDragon

Lambtron said:
My hope is that StarTropics is one of the games that's being given to the Ambassadors. And my dream is that this is to judge reactions to the game to bring the series back. I'd love, love, love a new StarTropics.
If the free games are the same in Japan and international regions, than it won't be StarTropics. It was never released in Japan, and even in the Virtual Console era they've refused to release it there. It's like "once a western game, always a western game". It's Japan's Mother 3 in that Nin will never release it.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Also, I didn't see this posted - looks like SMB3/Amazing Mirror weren't confirmed after all. From the same NOA rep, reposted on GoN:

We recently sent you an email regarding the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador Program. Please note that our response may have included some incorrect information about which Game Boy Advance games will be available. The press release from Thursday, July 28th included the correct list of titles to be made available for Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors.

My guess is that someone saw that one fake e-mail that had SMB3/Amazing Mirror, shot a message to NOA about it and they just hand-waved it away without actually paying attention to the games that were listed.

@MUWANdo

Banned
oatmeal said:
BTW...more of a general 3DS thing...

Game Notes is the best thing ever.

That is all.

It'd be better if it let you save the screengrabs to the SD card. Seriously, that would be so useful.

randomkid

jooey said:

This is ultimately why despite hemming and hawing I decided to hold off on a 3DS purchase for now. I know I'll just want a hardware revision anyways so what's the point of picking this up if I won't be able to transfer the games. Also I assume the 10 remaining games will be ones I don't want. Fire Emblem and Advance Wars and Wario 4 would be nice, but they're pipe dreams I think. Gotta expect rock bottom with Nintendo, always.

Ah well, 3DS XL will be great I bet! And the games I want will be out by then too.

oatmeal said:
BTW...more of a general 3DS thing...

Game Notes is the best thing ever.

That is all.
Yes. Yes they are. I can't wait until a game sort of "requires" you to use it. 4th walls will be broken, and miraculously.

@MUWANdo said:
It'd be better if it let you save the screengrabs to the SD card. Seriously, that would be so useful.

It does let you do that, if you run out of space, you can save your doodles as a picture.

What baffles me though is that there's no universal way to take a screenshot (even though it leaves a screenshot of your game saved on the touchscreen while you are multitasking a game)

mclem

artwalknoon said:
I just got a spotpass update about the ambassador program in the US. Probably same as the one in Japan. I'd be pretty excited if I didn't read gaming news then just saw this msg on my 3ds one day. I bet there's some little kid freaking out in America right now getting this.

And one thing that's struck me as a stroke of genius: Don't you pass Spotpass messages to other 3DSes you encounter that haven't recieved them through online sources? Speaking personally, if I didn't have my 3DS online, and got a message that I'd get a shitton of free games if I got my 3DS online, I'd get my damn 3DS online!

This may get a lot more people into the eShop. On a regular basis, too, if they keep dripfeeding the GBA titles.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
It does let you do that, if you run out of space, you can save your doodles as a picture.

What baffles me though is that there's no universal way to take a screenshot (even though it leaves a screenshot of your game saved on the touchscreen while you are multitasking a game)

That's what I meant - I want to be able to save the grabs of the games themselves that are taken when you go to the Home menu mid-game. It seems like such a simple and obvious feature, why is it not possible? (answer: Nintendo)

HCgamer

I enjoy the gba games more excellent ports I like all the extras and ability to save anytime big plus.

TyRaNtM said:
I love DKC, but.. the GBA ports are BAD.
SNES version are superiors (well, except DKC3 GBA that is the most similar to the SNES one).

Hope that other games will get a opportunity, like Advance Wars or Fire Emblem.

orioto

Good Art™
By the way guys i just bought a 185 euros nds on amazon.fr (from an other store). I should receive it tomorrow and still be an ambassador. I'm surprised there are no more stores who did that actually. (It was the last one)

GeekyDad

jooey said:

That's generally what I do, which is what makes little things like the Ambassador program that much more of a treat. It's like finding money in an old coat.

Somnid

Roto13 said:
Didn't they say the NES games would be transferable and the GBA games wouldn't?

Yes, it looks like because they aren't official eShop games and promotional items they aren't transferable (at least until the decide to have official plans for GBA VC I'm guessing).

Any hints on when they'll say the 5 remaining games from the NES? After all, those will come out in less than a month.

I assume Kid Icarus to be one of them, to attract people to Uprising.

Javier

The eshop just updated and there's a notification that talks about the Ambassador program. Nothing new, but I'm guessing if you can see that, then you're set.

omgkitty

BocoDragon said:
If the free games are the same in Japan and international regions, than it won't be StarTropics. It was never released in Japan, and even in the Virtual Console era they've refused to release it there. It's like "once a western game, always a western game". It's Japan's Mother 3 in that Nin will never release it.

I would like to play StarTropics seeing as I never have before, but the fact of the matter is that it seems like Nintendo's 3 different regions all hate each other. They never seem to work together, and they all seem to be 3 different entities. Obviously, that is just stupid. There is no reason they shouldn't work together. I understand the separation, but when it comes right down to it, it's no excuse.

fernoca

Don't know how old is this, but I just received a message through the 3DS (Spotpass? I'm new to this :p) about the Ambassador Program. Same from their press release, but still made me feel nice that they haven't forgotten about us in Puerto Rico. :p

They're also looking into solving the issue with Nintendo Video not working on 3DS owners from PR. They thought it worked, but it wasn't untill me and a few others sent emails to inform them, that they noticed that it wasn't. Told me to try again in 2 weeks as they're currently investigating the problem.

fernoca

Ah! Confirmed.
If you go to the eShop, to check the news; it says:

You are a Nintendo 3DS Ambassador!
Welcome to the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program! Starting Sept. 1...​

No new info of new games, but at least a confirmation is always good. XD

Franchuzas87 said:
Any hints on when they'll say the 5 remaining games from the NES? After all, those will come out in less than a month.

I assume Kid Icarus to be one of them, to attract people to Uprising.

I thought I heard that they would announce it in a couple weeks, the remaining five NES (and maybe five GBA) games.

These lists are getting redundant, but I'm really hoping for Kid Icarus, Zelda II, SMB2, Punch-Out!!, and Kirby's Adventure for NES, and Super Mario Advance 4, Mario & Luigi, Drill Dozer, Advance Wars, and Metroid: Zero Mission for GBA.

SailorDaravon said:
Dunno if this is already old or new thread-worthy, but CheapyD says he was told by a trusted source that Walmart will be dropping to the $169.99 price on August 9th. Assuming this is true, this will probably be good enough for me and my wife to pick up a 3DS without having to mess with return/matching shenanigans. I do hope that the Kirby GBA game winds up being true though, my wife would be super psyched about that.
Definitely going to go check out Walmart on Tuesday. Hopefully I don't have to work early.

Harlock

Javier said:
The eshop just updated and there's a notification that talks about the Ambassador program. Nothing new, but I'm guessing if you can see that, then you're set.

The notification say that GBA games will be release only in the end of year. I don´t know if was said before.

Minamu

How does this registration on the eshop work? I've accessed it before and downloaded the E3 trailers. Does that mean I'm registered?

Edit: Oh :lol xD Seems like it.

ShockingAlberto said:

JazzmanZ

I heard we're supposed to get a complete list of the games before the 12th this month, through it may only be for the NES games so I don't know.

Top Bottom