• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

I honestly wouldn't mind SMA4 being fake since we probably won't get the e-Reader content anyway. Rather not waste a space for GBA with an enhanced NES game.

Kirbyguy said:
I honestly wouldn't mind SMA4 being fake since we probably won't get the e-Reader content anyway. Rather not waste a space for GBA with an enhanced NES game.
Pretty much my thoughs. I'd rather have SMB3 on the NES list and leave that space free for a really new GBA game. We already have a port of Yoshi's Island, and it is more justified since is a SNES game.

Boogiepop

Personally, I'm hoping for either Mario or Pokemon Pinball popping up in the remaining GBA games, as I never got around to picking up either, and pinball games are always great little time wasters...

gwiz210

I really want Wario's Woods, Kirby's Adventure, or Super Mario Bros 2 for NES and Mario Golf: Advance Tour, Kirby: Nightmare In Dreamland, DKC3, and either Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed, or LeafGreen.

Franchuzas87 said:
Pretty much my thoughs. I'd rather have SMB3 on the NES list and leave that space free for a really new GBA game. We already have a port of Yoshi's Island, and it is more justified since is a SNES game.

And Yoshi Island has the new levels in the cart, no e-reader bull.

MoxManiac

Tempted to get a 3DS at walmart on the 9th for the free games, but I pretty much still own the GBA games on the list as well as the NES games on wii vc. Can't decide if it's worth it or not.

MoxManiac said:
Tempted to get a 3DS at walmart on the 9th for the free games, but I pretty much still own the GBA games on the list as well as the NES games on wii vc. Can't decide if it's worth it or not.

Well, are there any 3DS games that you want? If so, now is the perfect time to pick one up. It's a great value.

MoxManiac

AceBandage said:
Well, are there any 3DS games that you want? If so, now is the perfect time to pick one up. It's a great value.

Yeah, Ocarina, RE Mercs and Street fighter. Plus upcoming stuff like Mario and RE revelations, etc. I kinda was not prepared to buy one THIS week though.

MoxManiac said:
Yeah, Ocarina, RE Mercs and Street fighter. Plus upcoming stuff like Mario and RE revelations, etc. I kinda was not prepared to buy one THIS week though.

If you are able to buy one now, it is the perfect time to do it. Even if you have to wait and are not able to get these games, $170 for the 3DS is still a good price alone.

Boney

Banned
MoxManiac said:
Even though you've played the other games, having them at all times with you is great, especially when they're all good at pick up and play.

If you can go for it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Is there any confirmation if the NES games will be released all at once or one at a time?

All at once if the wording of the press release is any indication.

I really hope that Advance Wars and Drill Dozer are two of the GBA games.

rosjos44

I logged into the Eshop many times. However, how do I know for sure that I am part of the program? Do I just wait until September 1st to find out?

rosjos44 said:
I logged into the Eshop many times. However, how do I know for sure that I am part of the program? Do I just wait until September 1st to find out?

You should have gotten a Spot Pass notice and a News Notice in the eShop.

rosjos44

AceBandage said:
You should have gotten a Spot Pass notice and a News Notice in the eShop.

I have not :( The 3DS 's both that I own are linked to my Nintendo account too. I only have download Nintendo video as my latest Nintendo spot pass.

rosjos44 said:
I have not :( The 3DS 's both that I own are linked to my Nintendo account too. I only have download Nintendo video as my latest Nintendo spot pass.

You should be fine. I have been on the eShop so many times and I just got my notification today. If you are around a wireless internet connection, you should get it soon.

Unlike Brainiac_8 and AceBandage, I didn't get the solid impression they'd all be made available at the same time. The press release says:
Starting Sept. 1, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in the Nintendo eShop to the general public.
As I read it,
1. Ambassadors will get 10 NES games.
2. This will start on September 1.

That could mean they're all available at once, but if they were to do something like send one a week I think it would fit their wording fine.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Any confirmation that the NES games will be in 3D?

I was under the assumption that all NES ports would be in 3D (as well as SNES) while the GB/GBA games would still be in 2D. Not having a 3DS I Haven't kept up much to be honest, is this information correct?

I'm a huge fan of the original Legend of Zelda so I'd like to own that eventually on a handheld. Having it in 3D would be a nice bonus :)

Poyunch

DJ_Tet said:

I was under the assumption that all NES ports would be in 3D (as well as SNES) while the GB/GBA games would still be in 2D. Not having a 3DS I Haven't kept up much to be honest, is this information correct?

I'm a huge fan of the original Legend of Zelda so I'd like to own that eventually on a handheld. Having it in 3D would be a nice bonus :)
Nope. Nintendo has stated these are just pure ROM dumps and anyway Virtual Console games are not 3D on the 3DS. There is a set of select retro titles that are 3D called 3D Classics but these are different from Virtual Console releases.

Roto13

Well they're Virtual Console games, so the odds are against them having any new features at all, including 3D. They might have borders with "depth" like Game Boy VC games but it won't go beyond that.

No. Well, it seemed like at first that only really NES games were going to be remade in 3D and otherwise wouldn't be added to the 3DS VC. But apparently they're adding that sometime this year. And since it takes so long to do one 3D remake of an NES game, I don't think they'd have 10 of them available.

In short, I think these are just VC games, and the 3D Classics series is separate from that.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
PigSpeakers said:
No. Well, it seemed like at first that only really NES games were going to be remade in 3D and otherwise wouldn't be added to the 3DS VC. But apparently they're adding that sometime this year. And since it takes so long to do one 3D remake of an NES game, I don't think they'd have 10 of them available.

In short, I think these are just VC games, and the 3D Classics series is separate from that.

Didn't they say there would be updated versions of the NES games? Couldn't the upgrades have 3D? I always thought 3DS VC was strictly handheld. Having both NES ports and 3D classics on the eShop would be such BS. It is not okay to give me a port of Super Mario Bros. for free and expect me to pay for a 3D classic. The price different would be minuscule I imagine.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
DJ_Tet said:

No. They won't be 3D.

Poyunch

A Human Becoming said:
Didn't they say there would be updated versions of the NES games? Couldn't the upgrades have 3D? I always thought 3DS VC was strictly handheld. Having both NES ports and 3D classics on the eShop would be such BS. It is not okay to give me a port of Super Mario Bros. for free and expect me to pay for a 3D classic. The price different would be minuscule I imagine.
I'm assuming they're just pure ports but later they'll include restore points like other VC games.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
PounchEnvy said:
I'm assuming they're just pure ports but later they'll include restore points like other VC games.

It won't matter to me unless I see one of the ten NES games become a 3D classic. It would be a middle finger to ambassadors and asinine to have two different versions of the same game with < $5 price difference.

Clunker

There's no way any of the freebies will be 3D. I'm assuming the versions we're getting will essentially be beta versions of the NES and GBA VC: barebones functionality, can later be updates to the "full" version with restore points and manual later as mentioned above.

And of course Nintendo will offer pay 3D Classics versions of some of these freebie NES games. Hey, Iwata cut his salary over this whole deal, and the dude's got to eat! :p

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Clunker said:
And of course Nintendo will offer pay 3D Classics versions of some of these freebie NES games. Hey, Iwata cut his salary over this whole deal, and the dude's got to eat! :p

The dude makes hundreds of thousands of dollars. He can afford to give me the 3D version of Super Mario Bros. considering it will cost (probably) <$5 more than the straight port and Nintendo has already resold the straight port more than a handful of times. Seeing, they're dropping the price of a product I bought ~`18 weeks after release I deserve that much. Even if they are in the red, I shouldn't be the one to be screwed over for their bad business practice.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Missing 20 straight rom dumps won't hurt as badly, especially considering my current DSL plays my GBA games just fine. Thanks for the info fellas.

Roto13

A Human Becoming said:
The dude makes hundreds of thousands of dollars. He can afford to give me the 3D version of Super Mario Bros. considering it will cost (probably) <$5 more than the straight port and Nintendo has already resold the straight port more than a handful of times. Seeing, they're dropping the price of a product I bought ~`18 weeks after release I deserve that much. Even if they are in the red, I shouldn't be the one to be screwed over for their bad business practice.
Oh, boo fucking hoo.

A Human Becoming said:
There is no porting going on here. It's either running on an emulator (which is the case with the NES games we are getting), or it's being remade completely for 3D Classics. Since they haven't remade SMB yet, and probably won't for a long time since it actually takes work, they can't give it to us now.

Javier

I really hope one of the NES titles is Metroid, if only because the Save State feature is going to be a freakin' godsend in that game.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
A Human Becoming said:
You're being screwed over for your own decisions. No one held you at gunpoint and made you buy the thing. You did it because you wanted to.

Stop wetting the thread and get over it.

GeekyDad

Brazil said:
You're being screwed over for your own decisions. No one held you at gunpoint and made you buy the thing. You did it because you wanted to.

Yeah, I personally felt it was priced too high, had no intention of buying 'til next year, but ended up doing so anyway. I'm not bothered by the price cut at all, and I appreciate the fact Nintendo are at least making a gesture with these games. As a matter of fact, in spite of the fact I paid the full $250, I'm relieved by the price cut -- the timing and the amount. I don't want this system to fail, I don't want to only be served up shovelware, and I think Nintendo's response is one step closer to ensuring we're going to have a strong platform for the next few years.

Tell you what would be a nice surprise, though, would be if Nintendo (and this is such a stretch) was actually working on a deal to add a few third-party games to that Ambassador list.

omgkitty

Javier said:
I really hope one of the NES titles is Metroid, if only because the Save State feature is going to be a freakin' godsend in that game.

Zero Mission is a remade version of the original Metroid. It would be kind of dumb to release both of those.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
JoshuaJSlone said:
Unlike Brainiac_8 and AceBandage, I didn't get the solid impression they'd all be made available at the same time. The press release says:

As I read it,
1. Ambassadors will get 10 NES games.
2. This will start on September 1.

That could mean they're all available at once, but if they were to do something like send one a week I think it would fit their wording fine.

This was my interpretation as well. My guess is we'll see one every week or two through the end of the year.

sakipon

GeekyDad said:
As a matter of fact, in spite of the fact I paid the full $250, I'm relieved by the price cut -- the timing and the amount. I don't want this system to fail, I don't want to only be served up shovelware, and I think Nintendo's response is one step closer to ensuring we're going to have a strong platform for the next few years.
Me too. Bought one at launch and wouldn't regret the time and money spent even without the Ambassador games. I'm still hooked on the streetpass idea, so I'm looking forward to getting a lot more hits this winter.

sphinx

the piano man
what are everyone's wishes regarding the unknown 5 NES and 5 GBA free games?

how about translated versions Mother 1+2 or Mother 3? That would be so cool, more so if they keep they word and don't put them on sale later on.

sphinx said:

how about translated versions Mother 1+2 or Mother 3? That would be so cool, more so if they keep they word and don't put them on sale later on.

Keep on dreamin'.

Personally, I'm hoping for the rest of the Super Mario Advance titles + Zero Mission. Maybe Advance Wars as well. As for the NES titles, Kirby's Adventure?

Electivirus said:
Keep on dreamin'.

Personally, I'm hoping for the rest of the Super Mario Advance titles + Zero Mission. Maybe Advance Wars as well. As for the NES titles, Kirby's Adventure?

Golden Sun 1 & 2 would make me happy. But overall I hope Nintendo throws in some games I've not yet played like the Kirby game and most of the NES stuff.

Saroyan

sphinx said:

I would like to see Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World

Top Bottom