• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
IMACOMPUTA said:
I was aware that you had to login to the 3ds shop before Aug 12th to be eligible for the ambassador games.. And I did. I downloaded excitebike the day it came out.

I was listening to Weekend Confirmed (podcast) and they said that you have to log-in AFTER they announced the Ambassador program.

I was not aware of this... is this true? If so -- fuck.

Not the best source for Nintendo related news or information.

IMACOMPUTA said:
I was aware that you had to login to the 3ds shop before Aug 12th to be eligible for the ambassador games.. And I did. I downloaded excitebike the day it came out.

I was listening to Weekend Confirmed (podcast) and they said that you have to log-in AFTER they announced the Ambassador program.

seems like bullshit. Nintendo's site, Streetpass update and various other reminders online have never said that

TheContact

I've really lost all my faith in Nintendo. I was so hyped for the 3DS, had to wait a couple weeks after release before I was able to find time to buy and play it, and then they go and announce a price cut...and as compensation we get maybe 6 decent games that could be worth playing out of it...

Reggie is just a blatant liar who will say anything that increases his PR points, and when he gets called out on it he just changes the subject. I hate this guy, I really hope Nintendo finds someone else!

I'm not a PS3 fanboy (if anything I'm a 360 fanboy) but I think Jack Tretton does the best job at marketing Sony's image. Listen to his interviews...Geoff K. asked him if there was some kind of hostility between Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft, and he brushed it off and said something like, 'we're all in this together--we're all doing stuff that's good for the industry and therefore good for all of us'

Now listen to the interviews with Reggie. He's just a liar and will say anything at all to make Nintendo seem like it's the best thing in the world, even if he has to lie! Like telling us the 3DS had a remarkable release line-up at launch...what 2 games?? So remarkable...

I'm not going to buy the Wii U for a while until after its release and the price gets cut. I've just had it with Nintendo.

But since I already have the 3DS I guess it will collect dust until StarFox comes out since I beat Ocarina of Time. Then what? Pokemon? in 2 years? ..sigh...

*Turns on his xbox*

carfo said:
I've really lost all my faith in Nintendo. I was so hyped for the 3DS, had to wait a couple weeks after release before I was able to find time to buy and play it, and then they go and announce a price cut...and as compensation we get maybe 6 decent games that could be worth playing out of it...

Reggie is just a blatant liar who will say anything that increases his PR points, and when he gets called out on it he just changes the subject. I hate this guy, I really hope Nintendo finds someone else!

I'm not a PS3 fanboy (if anything I'm a 360 fanboy) but I think Jack Tretton does the best job at marketing Sony's image. Listen to his interviews...Geoff K. asked him if there was some kind of hostility between Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft, and he brushed it off and said something like, 'we're all in this together--we're all doing stuff that's good for the industry and therefore good for all of us'

Now listen to the interviews with Reggie. He's just a liar and will say anything at all to make Nintendo seem like it's the best thing in the world, even if he has to lie! Like telling us the 3DS had a remarkable release line-up at launch...what 2 games?? So remarkable...

I'm not going to buy the Wii U for a while until after its release and the price gets cut. I've just had it with Nintendo.

But since I already have the 3DS I guess it will collect dust until StarFox comes out since I beat Ocarina of Time. Then what? Pokemon? in 2 years? ..sigh...

*Turns on his xbox*

You must be new to... business.

carfo said:

*Turns on his xbox*

ahahahaha

Shiggy

carfo said:

*Turns on his xbox*

I don't understand why you bought the 3DS in the first place. Based on its announced games, it was evident that few must haves will be available in the near future. Had you used your brain, you wouldn't be whining here.

carfo said:

*Turns on his xbox*

next time turn it on before writing something

carfo said:

Reggie is just a blatant liar who...
You realize that the 3DS flopping was a total surprise to Nintendo, right? They didn't plan on having to drop the price by that huge amount this quickly, in fact this is the first time Nintendo has ever sold a system for a loss at the beginning of its life. And they are giving us a hell of a good deal who bought systems, did you see the list of GBA games? Even just the few they announced are some of Nintendo's most popular games, and nobody else will be given a chance to get those for years.

As for the 3DS launch lineup, Reggie stated it was their strongest third-party launch window titles ever, and that was truth. Street Fighter 4, DOA, Ridge Racer, Resident Evil, Lego Star Wars, Sims 3, Madden Football, Super Monkeyball, Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, Pro Evo Soccer, Puzzle Bobble...that's a very strong lineup of non-Nintendo titles, with something for everybody. Of course, the quality of every one of those games wasn't necessarily good, but Reggie wouldn't have known that months before their release when he made that statement. Think of it, if those games were all done at the same quality of Street Fighter 4, it would have been a killer launch, one of the best system launches of all time, marred only by the lack of a good AAA Nintendo title (which was Nintendo's big mistake of coarse - they held back at launch to appease third party developers that didn't want to compete with a Zelda, Mario Kart, Kid Icarus right at launch).

Roto13

IMACOMPUTA said:

I don't think that's true, though. Where are they getting that?
carfo said:
*random bitchings from the ether*
Juniors say the darndest things.

Bgamer90

Banned
To be honest, Reggie was right when he said that the 3DS had a decent 3rd party lineup especially in comparison to previous Nintendo portable systems.

I mean to be perfectly honest, I can't name any launch games for the Game Boy, Game Boy Color, or Game Boy Advance that were 3rd party.

Question: Would more people say that the 3DS has games if the system didn't have ANY 3rd party games but say, only 2-3 games from nintendo's biggest franchises?

I think so.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Dreamwriter said:
You realize that the 3DS flopping was a total surprise to Nintendo, right? They didn't plan on having to drop the price by that huge amount this quickly, in fact this is the first time Nintendo has ever sold a system for a loss at the beginning of its life.
To be honest, I sort of think Nintendo priced it higher then needed to see if it would sell. And it didn't, so they lowered the price. The end.

Javier

carfo said:

*Turns on his xbox*
carfo, why don't you tell us how you really feel.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Drkirby said:
To be honest, I sort of think Nintendo priced it higher then needed to see if it would sell. And it didn't, so they lowered the price. The end.

They did, actually. They said they raised the price a little when they saw our excitement for the thing after E3 2010.

donny2112

carfo said:
I'm not going to buy the Wii U for a while until after its release and the price gets cut.

That was my plan with Wii. After GameCube got a price cut 6 months in, figured that Wii would follow suit, so skipped the launch period. (Changed my mind when it became obvious that the early price drop wasn't going to happen.) It's probably a good idea to skip launch period releases altogether, though. e.g. 360 RROD (though that was a ~4 year period to skip :/ ), Wii graphics issue, 3DS screen scratch.

wrowa

carfo said:
Nintendo isn't responsible for your decision to buy the 3DS at a price tag of $250. That was a decision you made and no one else takes responsibility for it. You thought that it was worth the money, otherwise you wouldn't have bought it. It's silly to complain that you only get "maybe 6 decent games" as compensation.

Under normal circumstances - the 3DS selling as planned, no price cut happened - you would still have paid $250 with the difference that you wouldn't get anything afterwards. Now the 3DS didn't reach expecations, they cut the price and you get 10 games for "free". What's there to complain? If you thought that the 3DS was overpriced, you shouldn't have bought it. As easy as that. If you think the 3DS's line-up was bad, you shouldn't have bought it either. But you did. That's your very own fault.

GeekyDad

Anasui Kishibe said:
next time turn it on before writing something

Is it just me, or is GAF a community of who can out troll the other guy?

I don't agree with everything the guy had to say, but he has valid points, which he made intelligently.

As to his comments, Tretton is merely giving you the same line of bullshit colored green instead of brown. It's all bullshit, though. Don't kid yourself. Reggie seems like a great guy, but even fine people have a dirty job to do sometimes, and when your salary is what his is, you're more willing to do it. People are people. (and trolls are still fucking annoying)

TheContact

You guys are right. Ultimately, I made the decision to buy the 3DS. Nintendo did not hold a gun to my head. I am not unhappy with the system itself, rather I'm upset with the way Nintendo went about handling the decision to sell the 3DS overpriced, the subsequent price cut, and compensation package.

I paid $250 because I thought that's what the system was worth. Evidently it isn't.

I'm aware that the console didn't sell as expected, and so the company had to react by cutting the price. To announce such a huge price cut means they made a mistake of pricing it too high--in a way they got too greedy because they figured the console was going to sell like hotcakes so they priced it higher than normal and still expected a lot of sales. The fact that they were able to cut the price around 40% means there was absolutely no reason to have the original price point set that high to begin with. So, to me, their plan was to sell it overpriced, and if for some reason it doesn't sell, there would be room to fall back on and still hit profits. I am sure Nintendo had a contingency plan. I thought consoles weren't really supposed to generate revenue for companies; the real profits are coming from games / accessories. Maybe someone can come here and spit out some statistics about how much profit (or loss) the company gains or loses for each 3DS sold, before + after the price cut. It would be interesting to know that.

I don't think that the Ambassador Program is worthy compensation. I think most people would rather have funds placed in their Nintendo account, or some kind of gift card that can be used only for Nintendo products. I think I know WHY Nintendo won't do this, because they'd essentially -lose- the money instead of just routing the purchase compensation to their store which they could give away free items and not lose anything.
Yes, their sales are down, but only relatively. They are still making huge profits.

Nintendo's mistake was not releasing it originally at $170. I assume that the reasoning behind their price cut is because the more people who own a 3DS, the more profit they will receive from games and accessories.

They make it even worse by not letting the "late adopters" have access to the games. What's the point of this? To make early adopters feel special? Are most gamers that selfish? I'd rather everyone have access to the game that way the community for that game gets as busy as it can be.

...and wow..I'm not some industry analyzer here...I'm just a normal consumer. I don't claim to know any business techniques as facts...These are just my thoughts as a consumer.

This is how they go about offering compensation for the biggest, fastest price cut in Nintendo's history? I've bought enough VC games on my Wii already.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
carfo said:
I'm aware that the console didn't sell as expected, and so the company had to react by cutting the price. To announce such a huge price cut means they made a mistake of pricing it too high--in a way they got too greedy because they figured the console was going to sell like hotcakes so they priced it higher than normal and still expected a lot of sales. The fact that they were able to cut the price around 40% means there was absolutely no reason to have the original price point set that high to begin with. So, to me, their plan was to sell it overpriced, and if for some reason it doesn't sell, there would be room to fall back on and still hit profits. I am sure Nintendo had a contingency plan. I thought consoles weren't really supposed to generate revenue for companies; the real profits are coming from games / accessories. Maybe someone can come here and spit out some statistics about how much profit (or loss) the company gains or loses for each 3DS sold, before + after the price cut. It would be interesting to know that.

Apparantly they are taking a loss on hardware now.

Why would never have priced it higher at launch? Well, they've NEVER taken a loss on a console in their history. They wanted profit on hardware as they always have. Their only mistake was doing what they have always done... which apparantly wasn't going to work this time around.

dc89

Saw this on Twitter earlier. Seems to good to be true but I hope it is, I really hope.

Rumoured list of titles.

NES
Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong Jr.
Balloon Fight
Ice Climber
The Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Super Mario Bros. 2
Kid Icarus
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
Kirby’s Adventure

GBA
Yoshi’s Island: Super Mario Advance 3
Mario Kart: Super Circuit
Metroid Fusion
WarioWare, Inc.: Minigame Mania
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Pokemon Emerald
The Legend Of Zelda: The Minish Cap
Kirby And The Amazing Mirror
Super Mario Ball
WarioWare Twisted (Up To Date 3DS Motion Controls)

http://nintendo3dsblog.com/nintendo...r-ambassador-program-along-with-release-dates

MooMoo

NEO0MJ said:
Having Pokemon there is rather strange. I don't buy that list.
This. And Super Mario Ball is the Japanese name whereas it's called Super Mario Pinball Land in the US. So if this is the US list it's weird they wouldn't use the US title for it. Another strange thing is that they say that one of the GBA games has fully updated 3DS controls, which doesn't make much sense because most people have concluded that there has to be an internal ARM CPU that's running the GBA games, which explains why you can't have 3DS features and sleep mode enabled since those CPUs are shut down while running DS games (or something like that).

Taichu

They aren't going to take the time to rework the controls for Wario Ware Twisted, so you can count that out. Pokemon Emerald and The Minish Cap seem unlikely as well.

Tyeforce

omgkitty said:
There are TONS of Pokemon games out there and it's Nintendo owned. Don't see why it would be so crazy.
Because what's the point of a Pokémon game if you can't connect with other Pokémon games to trade and battle? Pokémon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire is possible, though.

BocoDragon

I have a feeling that a lot of people will complain about GBA games aging badly in the years to come. All that scratchy, compressed audio will be a turn-off when you're playing it on a much more advanced handheld.

Obviously old-school gamers will be able to look past it, but I just have a feeling complaining is coming..

BKK

Is this right? 3DS released in Brazil July 9th for R$1199 ($743), then less than 3 weeks later they announced the price drop and Ambassador Program. Now they've dropped the price by $R400 ($248) to $R799 ($495).

$250 for some roms? How can they even release it less than 3 weeks before announcing a price drop in the first place? That seems outrageous to me, Brazilian release should have been pushed back a further month and released with the price drop. People who bought at launch have been screwed big time.

BocoDragon

BKK said:
Is this right? 3DS released in Brazil July 9th for R$1199 ($743), then less than 3 weeks later they announced the price drop and Ambassador Program. Now they've dropped the price by $R400 ($248) to $R799 ($495).

$250 for some roms? How can they even release it less than 3 weeks before announcing a price drop in the first place? That seems outrageous to me, Brazilian release should have been pushed back a further month and released with the price drop. People who bought at launch have been screwed big time.
Brazilians should have just stuck with playing Mega Drive.

M3d10n

BKK said:

Dat tax.

Seriously, I almost imported mine directly from the US, and even if I paid the full import tax back then (which is 60%) it would still come out about R$150 cheaper than the new price.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
BKK said:

It's true.

This is Brazil, dude. I paid over $1000 for my launch Wii. Life's hard down here.

Brazil said:
It's true.

This is Brazil, dude. I paid over $1000 for my launch Wii. Life's hard down here.

$1000? That's so crazy haha.

But anyway, no way that list is real on the blog. Pokemon Emerald? I don't think so.

Shiggy

markot said:
WarioWare Twisted

Best Warioware Everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Right, but Nintendo won't put any work into updating that title or releasing it in Europe where it wasn't available before.

If you're going to submit a fake list to **********, you might as well go all-out on the fakeness and include Earthbound Zero and Mother 3 on there for maximum disappointment potential.

Javier

Shiggy said:
Right, but Nintendo won't put any work into updating that title or releasing it in Europe where it wasn't available before.
Weren't Super Mario RPG and Chrono Trigger originally only in America and Japan but got an European release thanks to the VC?

danootz

I'm a littler concerned because I bought it August 10th and immediately did the update and logged into the eShop.

It took some time, but that notification within the eShop showed up saying I'm an Ambassador, but after the August 12 cut off date I no longer see the message saying I'm an Ambassador. Now it just lists things like "Welcome to the eShop"

Is this normal?

Javier

danootz said:
I'm a littler concerned because I bought it August 10th and immediately did the update and logged into the eShop.

It took some time, but that notification within the eShop showed up saying I'm an Ambassador, but after the August 12 cut off date I no longer see the message saying I'm an Ambassador. Now it just lists things like "Welcome to the eShop"

Is this normal?
Yeah, it was taken out for everyone. It's normal.

danootz

And this thing about during the week of August 15th...

"During the week of August 15th, Nintendo will launch a website that will allow customers to enter their Nintendo 3DS serial to check their Nintendo 3DS Ambassador Program eligibility Once the website is live, you will receive a message with the link."

Any concern to be had by customers who payed the Target/Walmart 169$?

SmithnCo

I don't believe they'd release Emerald (without the ability to trade or catch every Pokemon) or take the time to update Twisted for 3DS...

Would be cool if they did though because Twisted is great.

Busaiku

Yeah, there's no way Pokemon Emerald and WarioWare Twisted will be on there.
I also doubt Nintendo would throw in Adventure of Link as well.

Top Bottom