• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

GeekyDad said:
I'm curious if the GBA games will register in our menu systems' play logs, since Nintendo claims those games won't be offered in the future for sale.
It seems like they'd have to go out of their way to make something not be tracked as usual. And if it ends up with a crowd of a million people wondering why someone on their friend list has Yoshi's Island set as their favorite game, that just benefits them in the end too.

Cru Jones said:
Isn't it obvious? Nintendo put this program in place as a reward for those who spent an extra $80. If those who purchased for the $170 price are getting this, Nintendo may as well have not instituted the program in the first place. It now does nothing to reward the early adopters as they still could have waited for the price drop and be in the exact same situation as the $170 crowd. I can't believe this actually has to be spelled out for you.

Waaaaah, someone else is getting free games! It's not fair!

Ugh... really people?

Bgamer90

Banned
Amazing how people are acting. Nintendo didn't have to do anything but they are & yet people still complain due to the fact that some are getting the deal while not having to pay $250.

I'm pretty sure that the number of people who will get the deal with the games for the reduced $170 price will be/are few in comparison to those that will not get the games. Does that small group of people make you angry? Is it that serious?

There will always be people who will get better deals on items than others. Really no point in complaining.

Plus while $80 is a good amount/drop in price, I can name multiple examples of people buying tech for $150+ less than what others payed for it. There's really no point in being mad. It basically happens with everything that has an MSRP.

Risible

Mockingbird said:
Well, if it helps, you also got 3D Classics: Excitebike and 11 3D trailers which they'll never get to own on their 3DS. Ever. Unless someone hacks it. I'm also sure most of the people that bought one now didn't get a free Ocarina CD unless they bought the game at launch. Plus, if you bought one from amazon, you got some sweet $25 game credit. You also got to own a 3DS one month before the people buying it now. That has to be worth something.

I bought one at launch and I still have no regrets. Just from buying the 3DS and its games at amazon, I've gotten $65 worth of credits too.

Oh wow, I forgot about the Amazon credit - Ok, I feel a little bit better, thanks :).

Roto13

jokkir said:
How would you feel if Nintendo announced that instead of five more GBA games, they opted to add in SNES games instead?
But I can get all the good SNES games on the Wii Virtual Console....

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I wonder if there's any chance the last five games for each set might vary between regions.

Anyone else suddenly hoping we get the Punch-Out!! as one of the NES games?

Roto13 said:
But I can get all the good SNES games on the Wii Virtual Console....
Thats a whole other argument of letting us transfer VC games across platforms. Hopefully WiiU will be equipped with that ability.

I never really played enough GBA, but played a ton of SNES. GBA games being so close in visuals is gonna be nice to have a 3DS.

DDayton

Chip N Chance said:
Thats a whole other argument of letting us transfer VC games across platforms. Hopefully WiiU will be equipped with that ability.

I never really played enough GBA, but played a ton of SNES. GBA games being so close in visuals is gonna be nice to have a 3DS.

What's actually worrying/confusing me here is how NCL/NOA plan to deal with 3DS NES downloads. Before announcing these NES titles, it was logical to presume Nintendo intended to keep the handheld and home systems separate; if the 3DS had VC handheld titles, and the Wii/WiiU had VC home titles, each set can be continually transferred to the next handheld or home platform. As long as you kept the two sets of VC titles separated, there was an easy "out" to avoid issues of annoyed customers having to repurchase a game.

Now that the 3DS is going to have paid NES downloads, I'm not really sure what (if anything) Nintendo plans to do. It seems unreasonable to expect Wii owners to purchase a second, identical set of games for their handheld systems.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
AceBandage said:
Waaaaah, someone else is getting free games! It's not fair!

Ugh... really people?

And to think someone called me a crybaby for saying Nintendo, if they release 3D classics of any NES game we're getting, should give it to us.

GeekyDad

DavidDayton said:
What's actually worrying/confusing me here is how NCL/NOA plan to deal with 3DS NES downloads. Before announcing these NES titles, it was logical to presume Nintendo intended to keep the handheld and home systems separate; if the 3DS had VC handheld titles, and the Wii/WiiU had VC home titles, each set can be continually transferred to the next handheld or home platform. As long as you kept the two sets of VC titles separated, there was an easy "out" to avoid issues of annoyed customers having to repurchase a game.

Now that the 3DS is going to have paid NES downloads, I'm not really sure what (if anything) Nintendo plans to do. It seems unreasonable to expect Wii owners to purchase a second, identical set of games for their handheld systems.

Basically, if Nintendo tied your purchases to an actual account, a la PSN/Steam, they would enter the year 2011, rather than still trying to cram their archaic perception of the digital world into the marketplace.

mAcOdIn

Dreamwriter said:
That was already an issue - one of the systems Nintendo announced for 3DS VC was Turbografx-16, which is one of the systems on the Wii VC.
Well......
system-TurboExpress.jpg

Of course that could mean we might get Genesis games as well since there was the Sega Nomad.

But yeah the ownership part is still an issue. Tied to that is the fact that on the handheld side we're more apt to move up to a new revision or have to replace our machine and there still isn't a method of even moving data from a 3DS to another 3DS.

beje

Banned
Dreamwriter said:
That was already an issue - one of the systems Nintendo announced for 3DS VC was Turbografx-16, which is one of the systems on the Wii VC.

Maybe they're going to do some kind of Shop-linking tools for NES, TG16 and GameGear/MasterSystem (they're the same hardware) so you can download for free on the 3DS games you already have on Wii as soon as they get emulated on 3DS, and that's why those systems are taking so long.

DDayton

Dreamwriter said:
Indeed, I've been pondering that since the original announcement... I was really expecting unique Turbo titles and little to no crossover.

DDayton

GeekyDad said:
Basically, if Nintendo tied your purchases to an actual account, a la PSN/Steam, they would enter the year 2011, rather than still trying to cram their archaic perception of the digital world into the marketplace.
The problem here is that your purchases are tied to an account. That's never been the issue. I believe what you folks want is the ability to log in or change accounts on the Wii or 3DS.

GeekyDad

DavidDayton said:
The problem here is that your purchases are tied to an account. That's never been the issue. I believe what you folks want is the ability to log in or change accounts on the Wii or 3DS.

Am I not speaking English?

There's no actual account, other than the system's I.D. That's not tied in any way to my personal information, ergo no way to access content in the way you would on Steam or PSN. But then, you know what I was talking about, don't you?

mAcOdIn

Regardless, there very much is an account but it's transparent to the end user, Nintendo knows damn well what system, what payment and the like each purchase is made from and you can link your club Nintendo purchases together to get "credit" for them so to speak. The problem isn't whether there is an account or not, per-se, but rather that if they plan to keep it hidden away from the user and keep it invisible and give you no control over the account proper then they need to at least give you control over the software, or just go the full fledged user account way and make everyone get a Club Nintendo account and let us move stuff that way.

Nintendo keeping the account hidden wouldn't be that bad if I could take two systems and wirelessly transfer a title between them while there was an active internet connection to inform Nintendo of the transfer so they could change their records. I don't know how the DSi to 3DS transfer tool worked but it was probably something like that, the 3DS can talk to the Wii, I have used the DS demo download service and rated DS titles , so it can at least function as a DSi while connecting to the Wii, having to transfer the game from the Wii to the 3DS and from the 3DS back again would be a bit of a pain but it'd be workable, we don't even have a workable solution lol. But that's probably why these titles aren't out yet for the eShop.

DDayton

GeekyDad said:
Am I not speaking English?

There's no actual account, other than the system's I.D. That's not tied in any way to my personal information, ergo no way to access content in the way you would on Steam or PSN. But then, you know what I was talking about, don't you?
I'm not trying to be a pain, but your titles are tied to an account, which -can- be linked to your personal information. I'm just trying to say that demanding "accounts" isn't what folks should be asking for, as opposed to "mobile accounts" or something like that.

I know what you want, I'm just saying that "account" may be an inaccurate term. Your purchases are tied to an invisible account on NOA's servers, and can be linked to a master account (listing title ownership/reg info) on NOA's website.

Cru Jones said:
Isn't it obvious? Nintendo put this program in place as a reward for those who spent an extra $80. If those who purchased for the $170 price are getting this, Nintendo may as well have not instituted the program in the first place. It now does nothing to reward the early adopters as they still could have waited for the price drop and be in the exact same situation as the $170 crowd. I can't believe this actually has to be spelled out for you.

I bought it for $170 and I'm getting the games. Not only that I got a 10% discount on the system and OOT.

DavidDayton said:
I'm not trying to be a pain, but your titles are tied to an account, which -can- be linked to your personal information. I'm just trying to say that demanding "accounts" isn't what folks should be asking for, as opposed to "mobile accounts" or something like that.

I know what you want, I'm just saying that "account" may be an inaccurate term. Your purchases are tied to an invisible account on NOA's servers, and can be linked to a master account (listing title ownership/reg info) on NOA's website.
That doesn't do shit though. You can't get another 3DS or Wii and download the same games again by just logging in with an account. The games are still tied to the original console/handheld, and there is no easy way to transfer them at this point.

Also, I live in Sweden so this nonsense doesn't even apply to me at all. There is no such thing as Club Nintendo here.

Bgamer90 said:
Amazing how people are acting. Nintendo didn't have to do anything but they are & yet people still complain due to the fact that some are getting the deal while not having to pay $250.

I'm pretty sure that the number of people who will get the deal with the games for the reduced $170 price will be/are few in comparison to those that will not get the games. Does that small group of people make you angry? Is it that serious?

There will always be people who will get better deals on items than others. Really no point in complaining.

Plus while $80 is a good amount/drop in price, I can name multiple examples of people buying tech for $150+ less than what others payed for it. There's really no point in being mad. It basically happens with everything that has an MSRP.

They HAD to do something. Doing nothing would create long-term animosity. "Buy at launch? And lose $80 AGAIN? No thank you!"

Sorry if this has been answered already. I bought a 3DS maybe a week after launch. I purchased Links Awakening on the eShop, and downloaded Excite Bike. However, I don't know if I accessed the eShop AFTER the Ambassador announcement had been made. Will I get the free games or am I SOL? If the latter I am going to break something.

DDayton

Fong Ghoul said:
Sorry if this has been answered already. I bought a 3DS maybe a week after launch. I purchased Links Awakening on the eShop, and downloaded Excite Bike. However, I don't know if I accessed the eShop AFTER the Ambassador announcement had been made. Will I get the free games or am I SOL? If the latter I am going to break something.
You're fine. If you don't get the games, call NOA and have them look up your system. They aren't ogres...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Cru Jones said:
Ha!

Nintendo doesn't mind AT ALL if someone was enticed to buy a 3DS immediately to get the 20 games PLUS $170 price.

Cru Jones said:

I hope you're joking...

Roto13

User33 said:
The fact that Nintendo forces you to buy the same games on both Wii and 3DS just seems like a slap in the face. I'd love for the 3DS VC to bomb so Nintendo finally gets the message.
It's fine to predict that will be the case, but at least save your bitching until it's confirmed.

Shiggy

DavidDayton said:
You're fine. If you don't get the games, call NOA and have them look up your system. They aren't ogres...

You don't even need to call them, just send them your receipt via the respective form on their website (not yet available though).

User33 said:
The fact that Nintendo forces you to buy the same games on both Wii and 3DS just seems like a slap in the face. I'd love for the 3DS VC to bomb so Nintendo finally gets the message.

I wasn't aware that Nintendo bursts into your house, holds a gun to your head, and makes you buy the same games twice.

Why the hell would you WANT it to bomb? That makes no sense.

Electivirus said:
I wasn't aware that Nintendo bursts into your house, holds a gun to your head, and makes you buy the same games twice.

Why the hell would you WANT it to bomb? That makes no sense.

Some people don't understand how the world works. And it's baffling.

isny

napkin dispenser
"Features of the Virtual Console Game Boy Advance titles

* When you press the HOME Button, a simple menu is displayed, and you won’t be able to return directly to the HOME Menu.
* Neither the “Restore Point” function nor the “VC Suspend” functions are supported. "

No save states? How hard is that, really...emulators have been doing this for over a decade now =/

Roto13

isny said:
"Features of the Virtual Console Game Boy Advance titles

* When you press the HOME Button, a simple menu is displayed, and you won’t be able to return directly to the HOME Menu.
* Neither the “Restore Point” function nor the “VC Suspend” functions are supported. "

No save states? How hard is that, really...emulators have been doing this for over a decade now =/
This probably isn't an emulator.

DDayton

Bankoiia said:
How else would they do it? It's not like there's a GBA chipset in there.

Actually, if the 3DS handles DS/DSi support as we think it does, then there effectively IS a GBA chipset in there.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Most ARM chips are backwards compatible. So even if there isn't technically GBA's ARM7 in a 3DS, an ARM9 can still execute the necessary instructions I would think. It's not like when Mac OS X switched from PowerPC to Intel.

Bankoiia

DavidDayton said:
Actually, if the 3DS handles DS/DSi support as we think it does, then there effectively IS a GBA chipset in there.
Ah, that figures. I was thinking it was scrapped along with the advent of DS Lite.

TheKyle07

AceBandage said:
You obviously felt it was worth $250 when you bought it.
You have no one but yourself to blame here.

To be fair, I'd wager that many people only felt it was worth $250 for the promise of future (ie. holiday) games, and under the very reasonable assumption that Nintendo wouldn't be dropping their price before those games' release. That assumption was their mistake, but you certainly can't blame them for making it.

GeekyDad

DavidDayton said:

Eh...not really. I don't know how much the left hand of Nintendo talks to the right in that sense. That information is streaming down different pipes, and I certainly wouldn't categorize it the way you are.

Let's call it out for what it truly is, though. Nintendo isn't offering actual "accounts" to their network users because they're purposely keeping their network ambiguous. They don't want that cross-platform usage, but with so many other publishers offering those services, I don't see how they'll be able to hold for much longer. Paying for VC on Wii and then having to perhaps pay for that same VC on another Nintendo system ain't gonna fly for long in this day and age. That's the meat. Let's not dice the kale.

GeekyDad said:
Eh...not really. I don't know how much the left hand of Nintendo talks to the right in that sense. That information is streaming down different pipes, and I certainly wouldn't categorize it the way you are.

Let's call it out for what it truly is, though. Nintendo isn't offering actual "accounts" to their network users because they're purposely keeping their network ambiguous. They don't want that cross-platform usage, but with so many other publishers offering those services, I don't see how they'll be able to hold for much longer. Paying for VC on Wii and then having to perhaps pay for that same VC on another Nintendo system ain't gonna fly for long in this day and age. That's the meat. Let's not dice the kale.
They can't even let us re-download the games we buy on a new Wii or 3DS. All they seem to have planned for the 3DS is the ability to transfer games between two systems. For Wii you can't even do that.

Sure, it would be nice if we could download NES games we bought on Wii again for free on 3DS, but first they need to let us at least feel like we own the games we pay for. As it is now we basically just rent games for the console we download the game on.

TheKyle07 said:
To be fair, I'd wager that many people only felt it was worth $250 for the promise of future (ie. holiday) games, and under the very reasonable assumption that Nintendo wouldn't be dropping their price before those games' release. That assumption was their mistake, but you certainly can't blame them for making it.

Those were my exact assumptions when I bought my 3DS. Oh well though, I'm not mad at Nintendo or anything; I'm perfectly satisfied with my free games/Zelda soundtrack. If other people paid $170 and are getting free games, it doesn't bother me at all.

Does anyone know when Nintendo is going to reveal the entire lineup of games? Personally, I don't think they ever will.

isny

napkin dispenser
GameE said:
There is only like 2.5 weeks until September 1, nintendo has to announce the NES games soon.

Not really. Nintendo is the type to not announce this sort of thing until the day of release.

Top Bottom