• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

Minish Cap, Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass are way, way worse than The Legend of Zelda and Zelda II.

I'd go as far as saying that those three games aren't even worth playing.

wwm0nkey

AndyMoogle said:
Minish Cap, Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass are way, way worse than The Legend of Zelda and Zelda II.

No, just no.

Ragus

Banned
AndyMoogle said:

Say what you want about those two ds abominations, but leave my awesome minish cap alone. It was a great game. Hell, it still is.

If Minish Cap is one of them I hope they remember to fix the bug in the European version which can make it impossible to 100% the game (one of the NPCs vanishes after the first time you enter thier house so if you don't have the right kindstone when entering his house...).

Jackano

I don't think either The Minish Cap will be one of them; It is particularly well received in the US and a strong title for the never-be-alive-announced GBA virtual console. Yes, we often saw around the web the Minish Cap love/hate advices and I think we can explain it by: US loves it, rest of the world hate it.
But if we look at the Zelda series only, it's hard to say anything else than both The Minish Cap, and the DS games, are among the worst of the series. Of course, that's still very good games, but those titles can't get the general positive opinion most of the other Zelda got.

They can include AlttP after all. We will get FS as a DSiware, this is the kind of weird things Nintendo can do. Just split the GBA port between a DSiware and a ambassador game.

Aeana

AndyMoogle said:

Really, because Minish Cap is one of my favorite Zelda games.
In fact, I could go as far as saying it's my favorite 2D Zelda game these days, although Link's Awakening may edge it out.

Come at me, bros.

Gravijah

Aeana said:
I apparently like a lot of games that aren't worth playing. I should be over the shame by now.

you'll always have a home away home with us super shamed mgs4 lovers~

please, nintendo. put minish cap amongst the GBA games so i can play it!

I bought my 3DS at launch and used the net several times. I haven't logged onto the eShop in the last few weeks, but did prior to the announcement of this ambassador stuff. Am I fucked?

qq more

ThoseDeafMutes said:
I bought my 3DS at launch and used the net several times. I haven't logged onto the eShop in the last few weeks, but did prior to the announcement of this ambassador stuff. Am I fucked?
Check the news in the e-shop. They might have that notification that you're an ambassador.

qq more said:
Check the news in the e-shop. They might have that notification that you're an ambassador.

I have a notification informing me something something about the eShop ambassador shit, but nothing saying I'm an ambassador. The news on the shop has nada.

Oh boy I'm going to be pissed off if I missed out. If they can send me a fucking notification to my 3DS, then obviously I'm fucking connected to the net. Holy shit.

Shiggy

ThoseDeafMutes said:

Nope, even if Nintendo fucked up for some reason, you would be able to get your games by using a form on their website and showing showing them your receipt. Have you already created a friend-code? That way you will also get your games.

It is not necessary to have used any of the 3DS online functions before August 12th, you only need to have bought it before that date and have a receipt which proves it.

Shiggy said:
Nope, even if Nintendo fucked up for some reason, you would be able to get your games by using a form on their website and showing showing them your receipt.

Finding my receipt is going to be difficult since I have no idea what I did with it.

Have you already created a friend-code? That way you will also get your games.

Have I what? Isn't it automatically created? I added someone else by local connection aeons ago, is that what you mean?

EDIT:

Oh god I just noticed the upper screen scratches caused by the lid. Not a good day for my 3DS.

qq more

ThoseDeafMutes said:
I have a notification informing me something something about the eShop ambassador shit, but nothing saying I'm an ambassador. The news on the shop has nada.

Oh boy I'm going to be pissed off if I missed out. If they can send me a fucking notification to my 3DS, then obviously I'm fucking connected to the net. Holy shit.
I think only ambassadors can see that message. I can be really wrong about this though...

Shiggy

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Finding my receipt is going to be difficult since I have no idea what I did with it.

Have I what? Isn't it automatically created? I added someone else by local connection aeons ago, is that what you mean?

Isn't the receipt kind of important for warranty purposes?

You can still register for the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador Programme, but in order to do so you will need to EITHER:

a) Have created a Friend Code and connected to the Internet with your Nintendo 3DS system prior to August 12th

OR

b) Have retained your original receipt or proof of purchase for your Nintendo 3DS system

Shiggy said:
Isn't the receipt kind of important for warranty purposes?

No shit. I never throw them out but they get lost, misplaced etc.

I just found it though, fucking thick stapled bastard from EB games. 288 Pricematched to K-mart, oh yeahh.

danootz

Probably a really dumb question but I'm worried I'm reading things wrong or just not thinking straight, so at the risk of sounding dumb; It's only NES and GBA games to be given for free right? Link's Awakening is a GBC game and won't become a free game, right?

danootz said:
Probably a really dumb question but I'm worried I'm reading things wrong or just not thinking straight, so at the risk of sounding dumb; It's only NES and GBA games to be given for free right? Link's Awakening is a GBC game and won't become a free game, right?
Correct

Greymanic

Neo Member
danootz said:
ha! thanks. of course my 3ds has no battery life now and i can't download LA for the trip home from work :p. Why they don't allow for usb charging, I don't know.
I bought a Gamestop brand charger while in the US that turned out to be a USB so they do exist if you're looking.

danootz

Greymanic said:
I bought a Gamestop brand charger while in the US that turned out to be a USB so they do exist if you're looking.

ho ho, that sounds good. Having a desk job makes for constantly charged devices. I usually hook my phone and nook up via usb and never have to complain about battery life on anything. A usb 3DS charger would be perfect.

Thanks for the info.

Roto13 said:
People who think there are bad Zelda games are friggin' weird.
Not bad, but very boring. At least to me. The best Zelda games are amazing, and among my favorite games ever, but some of them are very boring to me.

I've beaten almost all Zelda games (the CD-i games do not count at all, so don't even go there), but Spirit Tracks was just extremely boring to me for example. Riding that train was insanely boring. No exploration whatsoever in that game. I gave up halfway through the game and sold it.

On the other hand I never found the sailing in Wind Waker boring, which I know a lot of people did, so different strokes and all that.

Billychu said:
Don't understand why people hate sailing but love Hyrule field and want it bigger every game. Sailing was awesome.

I have yet to play a game that nailed the sense of epic exploration quite so poignantly, even if it was water based.

I love Wind Waker and Minish Cap, screw the haters.

Billychu said:
Don't understand why people hate sailing but love Hyrule field and want it bigger every game. Sailing was awesome.

Hyrule field doesn't need to get bigger, but sailing could get REALLY tedious at times. PH did it alright when I had a motor and could draw my path, but dealing with the wind was annoying as hell.

Billychu said:
Big Wind Waker fan, but there are definitely things the field layout does better.

1. Not having to stop and do a magic trick to change direction more than a few degrees at a time.
2. At least in Wind Waker's version of ocean, everything was spaced too regularly. You knew there'd be a key thing in every map square.

GeekyDad

AndyMoogle said:
...different strokes and all that.

You sure? Shouldn't one hive opinion prevail?

In that case, I guess I'll come clean and say, I loved Phantom Hourglass, 'cause I did. Spirit Tracks was okay, too, though not as enjoyable to me. I was very happy the camera had gone back to relatively top-down, allowing me to concentrate on the gameplay and less on locking on to shit and adjusting the camera. Don't get me wrong, going back to OoT 3D was no problem, but PH and ST were nice, relaxing Zelda-lite experiences for me. I thought it was casual Zelda done right. And Minish Cap is pure Joy, all except the button mapping, which takes some getting used to.

Tower of Spirits <3!

I really think Spirit Tracks has great puzzles. Better than The Minish Cap towards the end, especially the ones with Zelda and the Phantoms.

But the train... oh god, the train...

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
A bit of a new concern. I never knew about the 'Ambassador' update in the eshop, and just assumed that since I had already visited the eShop and bought Zelda DX and DK on VC via my 3DS sometime in early July(weeks before the ambassador program was announced) that I was cool and clear for being an ambassador. "Anyone that has visited the eshop prior to 11:59!"

I've also received several spotpasses for Dynasty Warriors and the Video Channel is always updating...so I should be all good right? (No friend codes entered though)

But now I just learned that there was some eShop update download to confirm being an ambassador? I never even knew of this until yesterday! Am I fucked? I am not certain I still have my 3DS store receipt(maybe BB has it in record to re-print?), but my Nintendo account is linked to my 3DS and my Gameboy purchases are listed on the website under my account. I just never visited the eShop formally in the past couple weeks given that it was assumed I didn't need to, and there was nothing worth getting anyway!

Just really freaked out that because Nintendo didn't state in the press release to DOWNLOAD THE AMBASSADOR UPDATE. It just said, "anyone that has visited the eshop on that system is good."

So bloody annoyed at this company this year.

Lothars

Brandon F said:
A bit of a new concern. I never knew about the 'Ambassador' update in the eshop, and just assumed that since I had already visited the eShop and bought Zelda DX and DK on VC via my 3DS sometime in early July(weeks before the ambassador program was announced) that I was cool and clear for being an ambassador. "Anyone that has visited the eshop prior to 11:59!"
You will be fine since you visited the Eshop before august 11th.

MicH

Yeah, don't panic. I didn't get the "You're an ambassador!" message either. I'm sure you're fine as long as you entered the eShop. Even if you're not, you can send your friendcode to Nintendo later on and get approved.

Roto13

Ugh, there's no such thing as an "ambassador update." If you visited the shop at any time before the deadline, you are an ambassador. There's no confirmation spotpass, no level up sound, no free t-shirt in the mail. People need to chill the fuck out.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Roto13 said:
Ugh, there's no such thing as an "ambassador update." If you visited the shop at any time before the deadline, you are an ambassador. There's no confirmation spotpass, no level up sound, no free t-shirt in the mail. People need to chill the fuck out.
It's like this for everything that Nintendo gives out. People were freaking out over whether or not they were eligible for the Zelda OoT soundtrack just two months ago.

Top Bottom