• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I can't wait until the website is up for NA so people can confirm this stuff and relax a bit. That is until they start to freak out again because Nintendo still didn't announce the other 5 NES games. Once that's out of the way we get to see another freak out because Nintendo still didn't announce the exact date for the GBA games and the other 5 GBA games. :p

donny2112

Fuzzy said:
That is until they start to freak out again because Nintendo still didn't announce the other 5 NES games. Once that's out of the way we get to see another freak out because Nintendo still didn't announce the exact date for the GBA games and the other 5 GBA games. :p

True. Don't forget the complaining about the games once they do come out. Something else to keep people busy between the NES game releases and whenever the GBA games come out. :)

Chopper

Excuse my igorance. Is there any news on when these games will hit in Europe? I just got my unit back from repair, and am dying to fill up my fridge.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
donny2112 said:
True. Don't forget the complaining about the games once they do come out. Something else to keep people busy between the NES game releases and whenever the GBA games come out. :)
Yep, completely forgot about people complaining about the NES games being only betas and no date has been given when the full releases will be out. Thanks.

Chopper said:
Excuse my igorance. Is there any news on when these games will hit in Europe? I just got my unit back from repair, and am dying to fill up my fridge.

Pretty sure it's September 1st for all regions.

Roto13

Fuzzy said:
I can't wait until the website is up for NA so people can confirm this stuff and relax a bit. That is until they start to freak out again because Nintendo still didn't announce the other 5 NES games. Once that's out of the way we get to see another freak out because Nintendo still didn't announce the exact date for the GBA games and the other 5 GBA games. :p
Oh yes. You know it's coming. September 1st. "what where are my gba games did i do it wrong do i only get nes or gba games and not both screw you nintendo!" Be there.

Since there's a Zelda debate going on...

Awesome Zeldas:

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Great Zeldas:

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
The Legend of Zelda
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Good Zeldas:

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Terrible pacing, and boring overworld. Good dungeons, but bad new items (the only items you ever used were old ones).
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords

Okay Zeldas:

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

Aeana said:
Really, because Minish Cap is one of my favorite Zelda games.
In fact, I could go as far as saying it's my favorite 2D Zelda game these days, although Link's Awakening may edge it out.

Come at me, bros.

*comes at Aeana and high fives.*

MooMoo

Roto13 said:
Oh yes. You know it's coming. September 1st. "what where are my gba games did i do it wrong do i only get nes or gba games and not both screw you nintendo!" Be there.
If there was a monster that fed on GAF's hyperbole and mass confusion, I think we'd all be dead lol.

Anyways, about 2.5 weeks until NES games are released! I don't know if this has been brought up, but if any of the NES games have save data, I hope when the official, updated versions come out that the data isn't deleted.

A Link to the Snitch said:

Awesome Zeldas:

Great Zeldas:

The Legend of Zelda

Good Zeldas:

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Terrible pacing, and boring overworld. Good dungeons, but bad new items (the only items you ever used were old ones).

Okay Zeldas:

This list is way too right.

...except you need to put Wind Waker into the Awesome category.

PKrockin said:
Did someone insinuate the Ball and Chain, Spinner, and Double Clawshot are bad?

I did insinuate that the Spinner was bad.

The Spinner was used in one dungeon, and ignored except when they wanted to throw a gimmick in.

The Minish Cap, for example, used every new item to great extent. Gust Jar could suck enemies up, latch onto stretchy objects (often causing Link to be flung across gaps), clear dust to reveal secrets, move lily pads as you ride them, etc. The Mole Mitts are regularly used in and out of dungeons. How many items in TP are actually used consistently throughout the game?

chazmonkey said:
This list is way too right.

...except you need to put Wind Waker into the Awesome category.

I was considering that. TWW just had some difficulty problems, and quite frankly, the fact that they removed one (or two?) dungeons from the game and replaced it with the Triforce Quest to make it easier is very, very disappointing for me.

Awesome Zeldas:

Great Zeldas:

The Legend of Zelda

Good Zeldas:

Okay Zeldas:

*comes at Aeana and high fives.*

Never played the Minish Cap or Four Swords but pretty damned spot on for everything else.

slowclap.gif

PKrockin

I did insinuate that the Spinner was bad.

The Spinner was used in one dungeon, and ignored except when they wanted to throw a gimmick in.

The Minish Cap, for example, used every new item to great extent.Gust Jar could suck enemies up, latch onto stretchy objects (often causing Link to be flung across gaps), clear dust to reveal secrets, move lily pads as you ride them, etc. The Mole Mitts are regularly used in and out of dungeons. How many items in TP are actually used consistently throughout the game?

Oh OK, so since there are only a few instances where the Ball and Chain is required to progress, it's automatically bad. That's not how I look at it at all, but more power to you I guess.

Isn't that more of a problem with dungeon/overworld design than the weapons themselves anyway?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Awesome Zeldas:

Great Zeldas:

The Legend of Zelda

Good Zeldas:

Terrible Zeldas:

Nearly perfect. I fixed the one glaring error, and I'd also put Wind Waker in the Awesome category.

PKrockin said:
Oh OK, so since there are only a few instances where the Ball and Chain is required to progress, it's automatically bad. That's not how I look at it at all, but more power to you I guess.

Isn't that more of a problem with dungeon/overworld design than the weapons themselves anyway?

That argument is completely silly. If the items are under-utilized, it does not matter WHY they are - all that matters is that they ARE being under-utilized. The game almost never encourages the use of many of the new items past the dungeon that they are included in, thus fitting the trope that Zelda dungeons are all about finding the big key, map, compass, and dungeon item, the latter which is utilized only for as long as you are in the dungeon.

But yeah, stop being so insulted by differing opinions. Your arguments certainly aren't strong enough to validate it.

Plinko said:
Nearly perfect. I fixed the one glaring error, and I'd also put Wind Waker in the Awesome category.

Well, I guess I could see those two as terrible Zeldas, though I don't think that they should rightly be called terrible games.

Roto13

If you don't constantly have the ball and chain equipped after you get it, you don't know how to use the ball and chain.

donny2112

Seeing as how this is the new "rate your Zelda" thread ...

Want to play again and again:

* OoT/MQ (3DS version is testing me, though. Beaten it several times on different platforms over the years, but > $20 to do it again?)
* Wind Waker (think there's an AR code to make the wind changes less time consuming)
* Link to the Past
* Link's Awakening (not DX; screen transition glitch > color)

Want to play again:

* Majora's Mask
* Link II (downward thrust hopping!)
* Oracle of Ages/Seasons (has to be the combo of the two; double quests for the win!)
* Four Swords Adventure

Liked playing:

* NES Zelda 1 (played a lot as a kid, but not really liking playing it for "fun" as an adult)
* Phantom Hourglass
* Spirit Tracks
* Twilight Princess

Trudged through:

* Minish Cap

donny2112 said:
Seeing as how this is the new "rate your Zelda" thread ...

Want to play again and again:

* OoT/MQ (3DS version is testing me, though. Beaten it several times on different platforms over the years, but > $20 to do it again?)
* Wind Waker (think there's an AR code to make the wind changes less time consuming)
* Link to the Past
* Link's Awakening (not DX; screen transition glitch > color)

Want to play again:

* Majora's Mask
* Link II (downward thrust hopping!)
* Oracle of Ages/Seasons (has to be the combo of the two; double quests for the win!)
* Four Swords Adventure

Liked playing:

* NES Zelda 1 (played a lot as a kid, but not really liking playing it for "fun" as an adult)
* Phantom Hourglass
* Spirit Tracks
* Twilight Princess

Trudged through:

* Minish Cap

I was very disappointed that LADX didn't let you switch between GB and GBC.

PKrockin

That argument is completely silly. If the items are under-utilized, it does not matter WHY they are - all that matters is that they ARE being under-utilized. The game almost never encourages the use of many of the new items past the dungeon that they are included in, thus fitting the trope that Zelda dungeons are all about finding the big key, map, compass, and dungeon item, the latter which is utilized only for as long as you are in the dungeon.

I don't see how this is a problem with the weapon itself and not the design of the overworld and dungeons. The weapons I mentioned are unique, fun, and creative. If you want to say a weapon sucks because it could have been used in more places then I won't change your mind. This argument is getting a little silly... I think we both agree they're underused but good otherwise.

Actually, Twilight Princess isn't the only offender here. Take the Goron Bracelet/Silver Gauntlets/Golden Gauntlets, Megaton Hammer and Mirror Shield from Ocarina of Time.

Even though it would be great, I think the possibility of us getting The Minish Cap are pretty low. Probably won't release ALttPFS either since there's no multiplayer...

PKrockin said:
I don't see how this is a problem with the weapon itself and not the design of the overworld and dungeons. The weapons I mentioned are unique, fun, and creative. If you want to say a weapon sucks because it could have been used in more places then I won't change your mind. This argument is getting a little silly... I think we both agree they're underused but good otherwise.

Actually, Twilight Princess isn't the only offender here. Take the Goron Bracelet/Silver Gauntlets/Golden Gauntlets, Megaton Hammer and Mirror Shield from Ocarina of Time.

Even though it would be great, I think the possibility of us getting The Minish Cap are pretty low. Probably won't release ALttPFS either since there's no multiplayer...

The Spinner, in theory, is one of my favourite items in the series. However, it is criminally under-utilized.

The quality of an item's use is based on both how fun they are to use, and how consistently they are used. What good is a fun item that you never need to use?

PKrockin

I don't think the Spinner is criminally underused. I would have liked more opportunities to travel around Hyrule with it or something but I got my fill from the dungeon, boss, and the few places on the overworld.

PKrockin said:
I don't think the Spinner is criminally underused. I would have liked more opportunities to travel around Hyrule with it or something but I got my fill from the dungeon, boss, and the few places on the overworld.
You mean the *two* places in the overworld. That's what makes it so underused it's basically worthless. Nintendo could have put spinner tracks all over, making you wonder what they were for or how to get to places long before you find the spinner, and then suddenly having tons of places to explore. That's the kind of thing that makes a Zelda game fun - you expect to use a dungeon's item in that dungeon, it's not a surprise. But no, they just put spinner tracks in two places in the overworld, that's it.

For me, it's

Top Tier; four way tie:
Legend of Zelda
Zelda 2
LttP
Link's Awakening

Second tier, in this order:
Wind Waker
Twilight Princess
OoT
Majora

Then everything else.

No I don't expect most of you to agree, but I was 9 when LoZ came out and 20 when OoT came out. I liked Ocarina, but it can never live up to the magic of that original shiny cartridge.

I loved both TP and WW, although the standard complaints apply (WW is a little unfinished, etc). Both had some amazingly genius elements. The dungeons in TP are so original.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Dreamwriter said:
You mean the *two* places in the overworld. That's what makes it so underused it's basically worthless. Nintendo could have put spinner tracks all over, making you wonder what they were for or how to get to places long before you find the spinner, and then suddenly having tons of places to explore. That's the kind of thing that makes a Zelda game fun - you expect to use a dungeon's item in that dungeon, it's not a surprise. But no, they just put spinner tracks in two places in the overworld, that's it.

I just replayed Link's Awakening and I really feel like the back half of the game sucks for creative item use. You get the Level 2 gloves (which are not used outside dungeons), the Level 2 shield (which is used in the L7 Boss--yes, not even in the dungeon itself--and once on the overworld), and the fire rod (which is only used on one form of the final boss and on the Turtle Rock boss, not at all outside the dungeon). Also during that phase of the game you get the Frog Song, which is good for... one mini-boss and unlocking Turtle Rock's front door. Three dungeons in a row and you don't really unlock more than a few screens on the overworld. :/

It makes the world feel less special that the back half of the game is virtually superfluous in terms of that exploration feeling. Compare that to, say, Batman Arkham Asylum, which has an embarrassment of riches in every screen.

Yeah, I know, not really fair to compare an early 90s GB game to a late 00s PS360PC game. I'm just saying, the kind of "I wonder how I use those" exploration feeling is great in all these sorts of games and my replay of LA reminded me that there wasn't much of that there.

KevinCow

Banned
Ball and chain is one item that manages to be both unique, awesome, and novel, but also extremely useful beyond the dungeon you get it in. It basically replaces bombs except when you're underwater, and it's just generally useful as a weapon.

Roto13

Stumpokapow said:
I just replayed Link's Awakening and I really feel like the back half of the game sucks for creative item use. You get the Level 2 gloves (which are not used outside dungeons), the Level 2 shield (which is used in the L7 Boss--yes, not even in the dungeon itself--and once on the overworld), and the fire rod (which is only used on one form of the final boss and on the Turtle Rock boss, not at all outside the dungeon). Also during that phase of the game you get the Frog Song, which is good for... one mini-boss and unlocking Turtle Rock's front door. Three dungeons in a row and you don't really unlock more than a few screens on the overworld. :/
I don't like the attitude that if the game isn't forcing you to use an item, it's not useful. The fire rod is a great weapon. Once I get the Fire Rod, I mostly stop using my sword.

Damn, I can never resist make a Zelda ranking!

Awesome Zeldas:

A Link to the Past
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask

Great Zeldas:

The Legend of Zelda
Link's Awakening
Oracle of Ages
Oracle of Seasons
The Wind Waker
Twilight Princess

Good Zeldas:

The Minish Cap

Okay Zeldas:

The Adventure of Link
Phantom Hourglass
Spirit Tracks

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I found Minish Cap to be one of the more mediocre Zelda's on my Second Play Though. I have to say every Portable Zelda besides Phantom Hour Glass is better then it.

Kazerei

Banned
Franchuzas87 said:

Awesome Zeldas:

A Link to the Past
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask

Great Zeldas:

The Legend of Zelda
Link's Awakening
Oracle of Ages
Oracle of Seasons
The Wind Waker
Twilight Princess

Good Zeldas:

The Minish Cap

Okay Zeldas:

The Adventure of Link
Phantom Hourglass
Spirit Tracks

Agreed.

Chopper

I liked Phantom Hourglass. True story.

In fact, I loved it. I remember thinking at the time "this is the ultimate portable Zelda". The pacing felt right, there was plenty to explore and do, I loved the stylus controls (apart from rolling). I even enjoyed the Temple of the Ocean King, because I was suitably upgraded each time, and could progress faster. I didn't find it problematic, at least. I also spent a fair bit of time trading ship pieces with a mate. Never did quite 100% it though. But yeah, thought it was awesome.

Spirit Tracks, not so much

Franchuzas87 said:

Awesome Zeldas:

A Link to the Past
Ocarina of Time
Link's Awakening

Great Zeldas:

The Wind Waker
Twilight Princess
Phantom Hourglass
Spirit Tracks
The Minish Cap

Good Zeldas:

Majora's Mask
Oracle of Ages
Oracle of Seasons

Okay Zeldas:

The Adventure of Link
The Legend of Zelda

Fixed for my own personal opinion.

Roto13 said:
Gimme Kid Icarus so I finally play it.

This is me (except that I played it years ago when it first came out) I really hope it's part of the pack so I can play through it again before the sequel comes out.

Jokeropia

Awesome Zeldas:

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Great Zeldas:

The Legend of Zelda

Good Zeldas:

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
It's kind of weird that this did turn into a Zelda thread, but I'm cool with it. And here's my tiers. Order within tiers are irrelevant.

Awesome Zeldas:

A Link to the Past
Ocarina of Time
Wind Waker

Great Zeldas:

Majora's Mask
Link's Awakening
Twilight Princess

Good Zeldas:

The Minish Cap
Spirit Tracks
Oracle of Ages/Seasons

Okay Zeldas:

The Legend of Zelda
The Adventure of Link
Phantom Hourglass

Boney

Banned
TunaLover said:
Hi, I just bought a 3DS, and update it as 16 august, I'm from Latin America, I'm done?
I live in Latin America. Am I eligible?

Answer:

The cut-off to be part of this program has been extended for our customers in Latin America! To be automatically registered for the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador Program, please perform the latest Nintendo 3DS system update before 11:59 pm Eastern time, August 18th.

You're good to go man.

Bryan1321

Banned
TunaLover said:
Hi, I just bought a 3DS, and update it as 16 august, I'm from Latin America, I'm done?

Youre fine, Latin american customers like me, have until august 19 to enter ambassador program

Edit: August 18 11:59 PM

Boney

Banned
TunaLover said:
Thanks Boney =)

EDIT: By the way, I just need to update right?
Just log in on the eShop and that should be it.

There should be a notification under the news section as well.

Top Bottom