• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

sfried

Just called Nintendo's 1 800 number, and apparently the representative assured me that I should be okay, as they're trying to fix a bug on the website. I told them that I did have my 3DS serviced and that I got a replacement unit instead, but once again reassured me that I should be okay considering the number of people who have had their 3DSs serviced and made similar calls. He told me that the Ambassador Program is tied to the eShop account (as I'd expected), and that the Inelligible or Undetermined status is from "a pretty nasty glitch". He told me to check back at the website in a few days.

So I guess I'll be twiddling my thumbs then.

sfried said:
Just called Nintendo's 1 800 number, and apparently the representative assured me that I should be okay, as they're trying to fix a bug on the website. I told them that I did have my 3DS serviced and that I got a replacement unit instead, but once again reassured me that I should be okay considering the number of people who have had their 3DSs serviced and made similar calls. He told me that the Ambassador Program is tied to the eShop account (as I'd expected), and that the Inelligible or Undetermined status is from "a pretty nasty glitch". He told me to check back at the website in a few days.

So I guess I'll be twiddling my thumbs then.

Well, don't worry too much. No reason you shouldn't be eligible; you just got unlucky with the site.

watershed

Banned
Roto13 said:
Yes, let's annoy the poor call center workers because we're all paranoid and insecure.
As long as you're polite and act like a normal human being there's nothing wrong with calling customer service to seek help with a product.

sfried

Electivirus said:
Well, don't worry too much. No reason you shouldn't be eligible; you just got unlucky with the site.
Hopefully when they fix it, they will be able to trace replacement unit serials back to the originals that they replaced. I wouldn't want to be stuck at "Undetermined" the entire time.

Roto13

EDIT: ^^^ See? This is (almost) the proper response. Not panic and nerd rage.
artwalknoon said:
As long as you're polite and act like a normal human being there's nothing wrong with calling customer service to seek help with a product.
I can tell you from experience that it's incredibly irritating to get hundreds of people calling in at the same time about a problem they don't have. I was working in an Xbox call center the moment Xbox Live went down in 2007.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Ah, you do need to enter the last boxed digit. They fixed the problem, it seems.

I am officially an Ambassador.

sfried

BY2K said:
Ah, you do need to enter the last boxed digit. They fixed the problem, it seems.
They seemed to have fixed it right after I called them. Wow.
Roto13 said:
EDIT: ^^^ See? This is (almost) the proper response. Not panic and nerd rage.
I can tell you from experience that it's incredibly irritating to get hundreds of people calling in at the same time about a problem they don't have. I was working in an Xbox call center the moment Xbox Live went down in 2007.
Hey, I was polite, and talk to them in a pleasant inquiring tone. Afterwards I said "Thank you" in a very sincere manner. I had legitimate concern, but I wasn't bugging them or anything like that. I just mentioned specifics about my situation.

Glad it turned out alright in the end.

qq more

Roto13 said:
Ha ha ha ha ha ha, GAF panic mode is hilarious

I look forward to ten "WTF NINTENDO NOT ELIGIBLE FUCK YOU" posts per page until September 1st.

randomkid said:
Watching people's reactions is like a funny little mini-psych test.

"Hmm I guess the site isn't working" High in composure/emotional stability.

"This site better be wrong or else" Medium in composure/emotional stability.

"I GOT THE 3DS DAY ONE, ASSHOLE! The fuck is this bullshit!?" Low in composure/emotional stability.
I only reacted out of pure entertainment. Just a FYI

Izayoi

Banned
NoA truly is the definition of the "Carnival of Stupid". Astounding how fucking incompetent they are. Really just breathtaking, almost.

jackdoe

Confirmed ambassador myself (for $170) haha. Should be able to hit Platinum status as well if I purchase Skyward Sword, Super Mario Land 3D, and Star Fox 64. Good times.

sfried

Jaded Alyx said:
So I went back and tried it by putting in the last number, and now it says 'Undetermined'.

Sigh.
Try it without the last number. If you still have trouble, try calling 1800-422-2602.
Izayoi said:
NoA truly is the definition of the "Carnival of Stupid". Astounding how fucking incompetent they are. Really just breathtaking, almost.
Did you recheck now?

Izayoi

Banned
sfried said:
Try it without the last number. If you still have trouble, try calling 1800-422-2602.

Did you recheck now?
I checked before I even posted and I was in. Just reading the last couple pages is telling enough, though. They can't get anything right the first time. Hell, we're lucky if they ever eventually get something right period.

sfried

Izayoi said:
I checked before I even posted and I was in. Just reading the last couple pages is telling enough, though. They can't get anything right the first time, ever. Hell, we're lucky if they ever get something right period.
They need new IT staff. Perhaps I should apply...

sfried said:

Did you recheck now?
I did try it without (scroll up). I'm now trying it with it since they supposedly fixed it.

TyRaNtM

Neo Member
If you have something downloaded like the E3 videos, you must be an ambassador.
And with that, if you didn't appear as ambassador, you can put as a proof to NOA/E/J that you are qualified to be ambassador.

sfried

Jaded Alyx said:
I did try it without (scroll up). I'm now trying it with it since they supposedly fixed it.
What I meant to say was to try it again without.

But if you have, you might want to give 'em a call tomorrow or whenever. They did tell me to check back on the website in a few days, though. But if they resolved only some issues then maybe you can give 'em a shot.

ToD_

I tried it with the last digit earlier and it did not work, but worked fine when omitting the boxed digit. I just tried again with the last digit and now it does recognize me as an ambassador. It appears they fixed the issue.

gotee12

I think they're just ignoring the extra digit (the # in the box). I just tried mine without the last digit and I was confirmed. I then tried it with the last digit and was still confirmed.

I then tried it with a semi-colon as the last digit (the boxed digit) and was still confirmed...

Keyouta

I'm still undetermined, trying it now with the boxed number in as it was supposedly fixed.

Should I try calling, or leave it for a while?

Thoraxes

I tried it, and it worked for me :)
Hooray! Also, I wonder when the GBA games hit, as according to their wording, all the NES games will be available on the 1st, with the rest following indeterminatly afterwards.

sfried

Keyouta said:
I'm still undetermined, trying it now with the boxed number in as it was supposedly fixed.

Should I try calling, or leave it for a while?
Dunno if they're still open, but try calling when their open. In the mean time, try omiting the number again.

Keyouta

Mreh, still says undetermined both ways. Going to try again tomorrow and if it keeps spitting out the same answer, I'll give them a call.

Boney

Banned
NateDrake said:
Would you rather have all 10 NES games hit Sept 1 or have them spread it out at 2 a week for a month?
Well I doubt I'll be wasting much time with Ice Climbers, Balloon Fight and the other one, so I rather get all of them

Takao said:
yay i'm an ambassador

does this mean I get political immunity or something?
You'll make a forgetable game annoying as fuck that's for sure.

kunonabi

NateDrake said:
Would you rather have all 10 NES games hit Sept 1 or have them spread it out at 2 a week for a month?

All at once.

After the VC and WiiWare, I don't trust Nintendo with regularly scheduled content anymore.

risk

I entered mine without the boxed number and it didn't work. Just tried it with the boxed number and it said I'm an ambassador. Weird.

Top Bottom