• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

So anyone her ein th EU still not getting any confirmation of being an ambassador? Connected to the eShop about a dozen times before the date, yet still don't know if I qualify for the games or not. I'd better get them.

Suzzopher

Ubermatik said:
So anyone her ein th EU still not getting any confirmation of being an ambassador? Connected to the eShop about a dozen times before the date, yet still don't know if I qualify for the games or not. I'd better get them.

Our site is still not active. But you should be fine.

loosus

Banned
Can't really understand any excitement about that list of games. If they weren't (a) a bunch of popular games that we hadn't already played a billion times and (b) a bunch of games that (mostly) had already been re-released in recent history, then I could understand the excitement. But as it is, it's barely even interesting and a real shame.

They should've went with some of Nintendo's lesser-known titles or maybe even some obscure third-party titles. At least then you could play them without a case of deja vu.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Hmmm... A nice mix of pick up and play titles and a few longer term games. Maybe this time I'll finish the Zelda games having started both of them countless times.

loosus said:
Can't really understand any excitement about that list of games. If they weren't (a) a bunch of popular games that we hadn't already played a billion times and (b) a bunch of games that (mostly) had already been re-released in recent history, then I could understand the excitement. But as it is, it's barely even interesting and a real shame.

They should've went with some of Nintendo's lesser-known titles or maybe even some obscure third-party titles. At least then you could play them without a case of deja vu.

They're Nintendo-developed NES games. There aren't any games that they could have released that people haven't played a hundred times already.

Besides, I doubt they have the rights to just be giving away third party games for free. I can't imagine anybody went into this expecting Kickle Cubicle or Metal Storm. :p

loosus said:

Speak for yourself, I've played less than half the games on that list.

loosus

Banned
SonicMegaDrive said:
They're Nintendo-developed NES games. There aren't any games that they could have released that people haven't played a hundred times already.

Besides, I doubt they have the rights to just be giving away third party games for free. I can't imagine anybody went into this expecting Kickle Cubicle or Metal Storm. :p
They don't have to be Nintendo-developed games, though. Nintendo just made it that way.

But you're wrong about there being no unpopular Nintendo NES games to begin with. The only one that's already on the list, I would argue, is Wrecking Crew. That's a solid, unpopular game. And possibly Ice Climber. What about Donkey Kong 3? Clu Clu Land? Gumeshoe (using the touchscreen)? Mach Rider? StarTropics? That point is that there are other games Nintendo could've posted than the evergreen titles that we've all played a billion times.

And hell, it's fine either way, I guess. They're "free." Having said that, I just cannot understand someone jumping up and down over playing them again, either.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Can't believe people are complaining about that list. There are a lot of great games on there.

That list will do nicely. I've been more excited about the GBA games than the NES ones anyways, so this is like a bonus to me.

SMB3 would have been nice, though.

What is it with people expecting Nintendo to cater to people's specific needs? It's not like they're going to ask you what you've played and what you've haven't, then give you games that you want. Sure, I've played all the games on that list at one point, but I'm sure others haven't. Besides, I'd love to revisit them after such a long time. Oh yeah, and remember kiddies, they're free.

Decent list. Never finished Zelda, Zelda II, or Metroid. And having a pixel-perfect portable SMB makes me happy; this is the first time we get portable NES ports without cropping/resizing due to lower screen resolution, right?

I'll get hate for saying this but I wish we don't get Minish Cap... Played it, don't like it.

Koren

Ubermatik said:
Oh yeah, and remember kiddies, they're free.
Some people will point that they come as a compensation for a $80 price cut...

I don't have problem with the list, though, personally, and I fully expected a 2011 price cut (to $199) anyway. Besides, there's still 10 GBA games to come, too.

KarmaCow

TheLastCandle said:
That list will do nicely. I've been more excited about the GBA games than the NES ones anyways, so this is like a bonus to me.

SMB3 would have been nice, though.

SMA4:SMB3 is supposedly one of the GBA titles.

loosus said:
They don't have to be Nintendo-developed games, though. Nintendo just made it that way.

But you're wrong about there being no unpopular Nintendo NES games to begin with. The only one that's already on the list, I would argue, is Wrecking Crew. That's a solid, unpopular game. And possibly Ice Climber. What about Donkey Kong 3? Clu Clu Land? Gumeshoe (using the touchscreen)? Mach Rider? StarTropics? That point is that there are other games Nintendo could've posted than the evergreen titles that we've all played a billion times.

And hell, it's fine either way, I guess. They're "free." Having said that, I just cannot understand someone jumping up and down over playing them again, either.

Yes they do. It would've been nigh on impossible to arrange for 3rd party games to be included at such short a notice.

Mach Rider and Startropics would've been interesting choices, but the other games you listed are hardly obscure and have been re-released loads of times.

The selection is fine. A good mix of popular and lesser known games for sure.

loosus said:

I think most people would rather play Metroid and Zelda 2 for the 9th time than play Mach Rider or Gumshoe(which is a lightgun game anyway). It looks to me like Nintendo was trying to give people games that most people seem to enjoy, not necessarily trying to give them games to play that they haven't already played before.

I think it's a great list. They give you their 3 evergreen NES titles - Mario, Zelda, and Metroid, plus Zelda 2. And they give you 6 of their 'lesser known'(by Nintendo standards) games like Ice Climber, Balloon Fight, and Wrecking Crew. Yoshi is there to fill the puzzle game niche, NES Open Tournament Golf for those who want a solid sports title(and it is good, it isn't nearly as archaic as NES Golf is, which I think some people are confusing it with), and of course, Donkey Kong Jr.(I'm assuming they didn't give us Donkey Kong because DK GB is already available on the service).

I mean, I don't think people would have been happy with a list like this if they were trying to find games not a lot of people are familiar with:

Mach Rider
Clu Clu Land
Donkey Kong 3
10 Yard Fight
Golf
Tennis
Baseball
Play Action Football
Yoshi's Cookie
Wario's Woods

I don't think that was really the point. It looks to me like Nintendo was really trying to give people their money's worth. Sure, they maybe could have given us what, mario 3 and Kirby...but I assume they have plans for those two titles down the road.

Mockingbird said:
awesome!

So on my 3DS I'll be able to play:

Metroid
Metroid II: The Return of Samus
Metroid Fusion

25th anniversary indeed!
We need a SNES VC on 3DS for Super Metroid. Do it, Nintendo. PLEASE. I already paid for it on Wii VC. So I should get it for free on 3DS*.

*asking a bit too much of Nintendo. UGH.

Thoraxes said:
Wow.
We're getting actual good NES games.
Nintendo must be really compensational.
Zelda 2, Metroid, Zelda, ICe Climbers? Hell yes.
Yeah, except I've beaten those games to hell and back or don't care about them.

Crewnh said:
So four out of ten...sigh. Not like I expected Nintendo to deliver.
0, ok 2 halves, out of a ten for me.

Plinko said:
Can't believe people are complaining about that list. There are a lot of great games on there.
That I've many other ways to play or would if I cared by this point.

Naked Snake said:
Never finished Zelda.
You really need to fix that at your first opportunity, and then of course the second quest.

confused

Banned
Bending_Unit_22 said:
Yeah, except I've beaten those games to hell and back or don't care about them.

0, ok 2 halves, out of a ten for me.

That I've many other ways to play or would if I cared by this point.

You really need to fix that at your first opportunity, and then of course the second quest.

If you were expecting more from Nintendo, you were already being foolish to begin with and they could never have pleased you.

Javier

So Nintendo wants me to go through Zelda 1 and 2 again before Skyward Sword is out?

Rrzbn.png

grumpy

Pancakes R Us said:
We need a SNES VC on 3DS for Super Metroid. Do it, Nintendo. PLEASE. I already paid for it on Wii VC. So I should get it for free on 3DS*.

*asking a bit too much of Nintendo. UGH.

Or Super Metroid 3D Classic.

Either way, Super Metroid "Portable" would make 3DS the best handheld ever.

EDIT: I should also mention that I would happily trade Donkey Kong Jr., Balloon Fight, Ice Climber, Wrecking Crew, NES Golf and Yoshi for Super Mario Bros. 3. I hope at least we get the GBA port.

Eh

Zelda - Very Happy
Zelda II - Very Happy
SMB - Very Happy
Balloon Fight - Happy
Metroid - Happy
Donkey Kong Jr. - Okay
Ice Climber - Okay
Wrecking Crew - Okay
NES Open Tournament Golf - Eh
Yoshi - Eh

I guess 5/10 isn't too bad. Still, I don't see them doing two Kirby games on GBA, and I would really have liked to see Kid Icarus and Punch-Out!! in place of Yoshi and NOTG. I also worry that SMB2 and 3 (World too maybe) will be taking up space on the GBA list that would have been better served by games like Advance Wars, Superstar Saga, and The Minish Cap (please oh please have Minish Cap).

But also maybe they'll give US gamers something more appealing. :D

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I won't be downloading most of these until the new Club Nintendo year next July if they let me wait.

wrowa

The lack of SMB3 is disappointing (I don't want the GBA version :/), but apart of that the list is satisfying. I'm really glad to see both Zelda games.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Ok list, I've played them all already though.
Not worth $40.
Nuclear Muffin said:
Yes they do. It would've been nigh on impossible to arrange for 3rd party games to be included at such short a notice.
Sony pulled it off.

imthemaid

Banned
Naked Snake said:
Decent list. Never finished Zelda, Zelda II, or Metroid. And having a pixel-perfect portable SMB makes me happy; this is the first time we get portable NES ports without cropping/resizing due to lower screen resolution, right?

I'll get hate for saying this but I wish we don't get Minish Cap... Played it, don't like it.

Holy shit, someone makes sense. This thread was beginning to make me feel like taking a permanent nap.

There shouldn't be any cropping/resizing, and minish cap is almost physically painful to look at; the art is so bad.

"Hey! I've already played these games." - So? You didn't have them emulated perfectly on a portable, now you do. You'll be holding a piece of 80s history in your hands, and it also happens to be history that you can play. Too bad it's wasted on you.

"These games are shit! I want this shitty game instead!" - Your taste is shit. Why don't you pursue an interest that doesn't involve taste. Try digging a hole, or going for a walk. You might also notice while walking that star tropics is so terrible that even something as simple as conveying the feeling of walking is beyond its scope. Didn't you notice that? Were you having a seizure while playing that game? Put on your helmet and go for a walk.

I have nothing against helmets or epilepsy.

I was sort of hoping for Mario 2, Mario 3, or Kirby, as those games are actually better than their remakes...

My feelings on the games (based on A Link to the Snitch's post):
Zelda - Yay
Zelda II - Yay
SMB - Cool
Balloon Fight Cool
Wrecking Crew - Cool
Metroid - Okay
Donkey Kong Jr. Okay
Ice Climber - Eh
NES Open Tournament Golf - Aww
Yoshi - Aww

5/10... Not bad! I'm especially happy about Zelda II, which I assume will have savestates like the GB games, and I have an excuse to beat it again.

Naked Snake said:
Honestly, NES and SNES games are supposed to be stretched horizontally. Their resolution is 256x240, but they're meant to be stretched to 320x240. Nintendo has a thing for accurate emulation, so I don't know if the 3DS emulator will stretch the image or not, or if it will give you options to stretch the image.

GeekyDad

confused said:
How high are the chances Nintendo has different games for different regions ?

Eh...I guess there's a chance, but I'm not counting on it. So long as they're Nintendo first-party games, I guess NoA and NoE might have latitude to decide on a few of those. Thing is, the ones that were previously announced are all the same for Japan, so I'm thinking what we see right now is what we'll get outside of Japan as well. Just don't express disappointment. It seems to be frowned upon here, even if you still appreciate a lot of what's there. ;)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Why would you do that? said:
Honestly, NES and SNES games are supposed to be stretched horizontally. Their resolution is 256x240, but they're meant to be stretched to 320x240. Nintendo has a thing for accurate emulation, so I don't know if the 3DS emulator will stretch the image or not, or if it will give you options to stretch the image.
Yeah, I'm more curious about the quality of the emulation than actually playing these games again myself.

I hope more games come soon.

It's a pretty good list of games, but since I live in Europe I can't really look forward to shitty 50Hz conversions again. Hopefully the GBA games aren't too far away.

AndyMoogle said:
It's a pretty good list of games, but since I live in Europe I can't really look forward to shitty 50Hz conversions again. Hopefully the GBA games aren't too far away.

Can they do 50Hz on a handheld?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Surprised there is no Kirby's Adventure, I wonder if they will change it all for NA. I would think titles like Kid Icarus would of been included as well.

NES Open Tournament Golf and Yoshi were alright for the time, but I am not sure if they are things I still want to play to this day.

Top Bottom