• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

Cheesemeister said:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/ambassador/detail.html

The games:

Famicom, available starting 9/1

Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong Jr.
Balloon Fight
Ice Climber
The Legend of Zelda
Wrecking Crew
NES Open Tournament Golf
Yoshi
Metroid
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

No, I don't know if this is just for Japan, or what.

Excellent list...the only game that I'm sad isn't in is Kid Icarus. I own the Kirby's Adventure cart so that's no big deal.

Wrecking Crew is awesome and I'm very happy that was included.

I'm surprised Kirby and Kid Icarus were left out. The latter especially, given Sakurai mentioned he was trying to get the original released on 3DS.

Still, glad we're getting Metroid and Zelda II.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Yoshi is not terrible, but I'm rather surprised because there's a Virtual Console Game Boy version they could release as well. That's why I think they'd avoid Kirby's Adventure (ie; Kirby's Dream Land), and R.C. Am Pro (likely receiving an eShop release?).

Adventure of Link is a great title to include, but I guess that means we'll never see a 3D Classics release for it.

EvilMario said:
Yoshi is not terrible, but I'm rather surprised because there's a Virtual Console Game Boy version they could release as well. That's why I think they'd avoid Kirby's Adventure (ie; Kirby's Dream Land), and R.C. Am Pro (likely receiving an eShop release?).

Adventure of Link is a great title to include, but I guess that means we'll never see a 3D Classics release for it.
I don't think Nintendo has the rights for R.C. Pro-Am. Tradewest released it on Sega Genesis as well after all.

Roto13

Great list, though NES Open Tournament Golf kind of makes me laugh. Would have preferred Kid Icarus. (I'd finally play it.) I've never played Wrecking Crew so I'm looking forward to that one specifically. Maybe I'll finally finish a Metroid game now. :p (Besides Metroid II.) Yoshi is that Hatris clone, right?

Zelda II is going to be a lot less annoying with savestates.
loosus said:
They don't have to be Nintendo-developed games, though. Nintendo just made it that way.
It's completely unreasonable to expect Nintendo to pay a third party company for the rights to give their games away for free to hundreds of thousands of people.
EvilMario said:

Kirby's Adventure and Kirby's Dream Land are two completely different games.

I also think any game getting a 3D Classics release won't be getting a 3DS NES VC release. That's probably why we're not getting Punch-Out!

AndyMoogle said:
It's a pretty good list of games, but since I live in Europe I can't really look forward to shitty 50Hz conversions again. Hopefully the GBA games aren't too far away.

They'll almost certainly be the US 60hz versions. The 3DS handheld screen can only refresh its screen at 60HZ, so the 50hz versions would not display properly (Plus since you're playing on a handheld, Nintendo aren't looking to replicating the original experience of playing it on a NES exactly anyway)

Nuclear Muffin said:
They'll almost certainly be the US 60hz versions. The 3DS handheld screen can only refresh its screen at 60HZ, so the 50hz versions would not display properly (Plus since you're playing on a handheld, Nintendo aren't looking to replicating the original experience of playing it on a NES exactly anyway)
They'll probably find a way to fuck it up.

NES Open Tournament Golf is actually pretty cool if it's the game I'm thinking of. It's more like a distant precursor to Mario sports games (being well made) than a generic sports game.

Zelda II is, IMO, the greatest game ever. Just having this alone trumps all other options and I'm gonna enjoy having easy access to it (as opposed to having to play it on a gamecube controller or hooking up a non-working NES).

KittenMaster said:
NES Open Tournament Golf is actually pretty cool if it's the game I'm thinking of. It's more like a distant precursor to Mario sports games (being well made) than a generic sports game.

Zelda II is, IMO, the greatest game ever. Just having this alone trumps all other options and I'm gonna enjoy having easy access to it (as opposed to having to play it on a gamecube controller or hooking up a non-working NES).

Agreed, Open Tournament Golf is excellent. I think most people confuse it with NES Golf. NOTG came out 7 years after Golf. It's a much, much more advanced game.

Rolf NB

AceBandage said:
Can they do 50Hz on a handheld?
Non-issue. No precedent. All handhelds in all regions have always run at "NTSC" refresh rates. Once the screen is built in, considerations for local TV standards become moot. Even handhelds with video outputs keep running their usual 60Hz mode.

Any random TV sold in the EU within the past 15 years or so can display 60Hz content anyway.

Futureman

Might be nostalgia goggles, but I loved Golf on Gameboy and was planning on buying the upcoming VC release.

Is Open Golf better than GB Golf?

No idea what Wrecking Crew is but I'll search YouTube. Can't wait for the two Zeldas, never played them!

donny2112

Fuzzy said:
I won't be downloading most of these until the new Club Nintendo year next July if they let me wait.

Maybe the beta versions don't give Club Nintendo coins, and it's only when the full versions are downloaded that the Club Nintendo coins come in. Interesting to see, at least. :)

MooMoo

Futureman said:
Wait, did they say the beta versions don't have save states, or it's just that they don't have sleep mode?
Going off of memory here. Beta NES games won't have multiplayer or save states but once the real thing comes out, these features will be enabled. GBA won't have save states or sleep mode at all. And before anyone complains, I'm pretty sure a lot of GBA games had built-in sleep modes where you had to press a button combo. And before anyone says this is unprecedented, it was like this with the DS Phat too.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Rolf NB said:
Non-issue. No precedent. All handhelds in all regions have always run at "NTSC" refresh rates. Once the screen is built in, considerations for local TV standards become moot. Even handhelds with video outputs keep running their usual 60Hz mode.

How did the Super Game Boy work? Its PAL version must have had an output of 50Hz.

Well these five:

Metroid
NES Open Tournament Golf
Wrecking Crew
The Legend of Zelda

Are all games I haven't played before!
So I'm more than happy with the choices :)

User33 said:
Good thing I didn't bother picking up a 3DS for the NES games at least. Some awful, awful choices. Ice Climber? Donkey Kong Jr? YOSHI? Ugh.

There are still 10 GBA games that we will eventually get. All-in-all I'm very pleased with Nintendo's guilty conscience give away.

gotee12

Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
Well these five:

Metroid
NES Open Tournament Golf
Wrecking Crew
The Legend of Zelda

Are all games I haven't played before!
So I'm more than happy with the choices :)
Good to know I'm not the only one who hasn't played Wrecking Crew or the original Metroid. Though I should probably still be ashamed for having not played them...

User33 said:
I also find it kind of funny that a lot of Nintendo fans mock "99 cent shovel-ware apps" on the iPhone, and then freak out over Wrecking Crew and Open Tournament Golf.

Kind of funny how you assume that those two camps are the same people.

Also hilarious how you set up the Nintendo fans as "freaking out" about the games. I've seen nothing but people going "okay, sure," at these games in this thread. So hilarious I'm not even laughing.

Continue building up strawmen in the corner though, if you so desire.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The original Metroid is not that great, in contrast to the Legend of Zelda which holds up well enough. I'm glad people will finally be able to play The Adventure of Link however!

angelfly said:
That NES list is disappointing. I'm worried about the rest of the GBA games now.

What other Nintendo titles would you pick on the NES? SMB3 is covered on the GBA side.

EvilMario said:
The original Metroid is not that great, in contrast to the Legend of Zelda which holds up well enough. I'm glad people will finally be able to play The Adventure of Link however!

It's torture! Do you want to see people suffer?

I love the concept but it was so hard. So, so hard.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Overall, it's not a bad list. It's missing some obvious choices like Kid Icarus and Punch-Out!!, unless their absence means they have other plans for those games. (3D Punch-Out!! would be sick.)

And I guess this all but confirms SMB3 as a GBA title, which is pretty stupid in my opinion. Why waste an GBA slot with a NES game? It's a brilliant game that I will gladly play. I just wanted more actual GBA games.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Maybe the original Kid Icarus is an unlockable in the new 3DS game*

*When you buy all the collector cards.

Roto13

The Mana Legend said:
The list is great. Balloon Fight is one of the most addicting games ever.
I love Balloon Fight. I used to download it onto my GBA from Animal Crossing on my GameCube and take it with me on the go. That and Ice Climber are two games I'm looking forward to being able to take with me.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
angelfly said:
Fire Emblem, Famicom Wars, and Mother being included would have made my day.

Oh, right. Since this is the Famicom list. It's too bad we wouldn't be afforded such luxuries in NA.

Zee-Row

Banned
DoctorWho said:
You're a 1337 gamer. I thought I was pretty good back in the day but Zelda II handed me my ass.
The only part that I found difficult in the game was finding the hidden town later in the game to get the last magic spell and then using the thunder spell to make the building appear. i had to pull out NIntendo Power back in the day for that one since they don't really tell you in the game what to do.

Smiles and Cries said:
so are the servers going to be slammed on Thursday?

or will I be able to download all the games I want on day 1?
Unless someone here is from the future, it's impossible to say. I would guess though that it's probably going to be pretty rough.

425kid

Cheesemeister said:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/ambassador/detail.html

The games:

Famicom, available starting 9/1

Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong Jr.
Balloon Fight
Ice Climber
The Legend of Zelda
Wrecking Crew
NES Open Tournament Golf
Yoshi
Metroid

No, I don't know if this is just for Japan, or what.

I have a nes from my dad and some of these games,
but never really beat or play for an extended time on any of these games.
So they are like new games to me,
And I always wanted to play them some day.
All in all, looking forward to play these games!

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
donny2112 said:
Maybe the beta versions don't give Club Nintendo coins, and it's only when the full versions are downloaded that the Club Nintendo coins come in. Interesting to see, at least. :)
Quit mocking me. :(

As expected, it's alot of "early" NES games. Outside of Yoshi, nothing on the list is past 1988, unless I'm wrong and someone wants to correct me.

Can't be giving out the later titles as they want you to buy those.

User33 said:
Good thing I didn't bother picking up a 3DS for the NES games at least. Some awful, awful choices. Ice Climber? Donkey Kong Jr? YOSHI? Ugh.

Lol complaining about free stuff.

OMG Aero

Futureman said:
Wait, did they say the beta versions don't have save states, or it's just that they don't have sleep mode?
Here's the list of things that the beta versions will and won't have:
Features of the Virtual Console NES titles (priority delivery version)
  • An electronic manual explaining game controls will be included.
  • The official version* (which will be delivered at a later date) will include a full electronic manual.
  • Alternating multiplayer modes are supported in some titles, but simultaneous multiplayer modes are not.
  • The official version* (which will be delivered at a later date) will also support versus play.
  • Does not include the “Restore Point” function (which allows you to create and load restore points at any time while gameplay) usually included in the Virtual Console Game Boy and Game Boy Color games.
  • However, it will include the “VC Suspend” function (which allows you to save the game when you suspend play by pressing the HOME Button). The official version* (which will be delivered at a later date) will support the Restore Points function.
  • You will be able to “Transfer to another Nintendo 3DS” with the “System Transfer” function that will be provided in future system updates.
  • *Official versions of the games will be launched later for a fee, but Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to upgrade from the priority delivery version to the official version free of charge.

Features of the Virtual Console Game Boy Advance titles

• Manuals will be available.
  • Wireless functions and peripheral devices are not supported.
  • When you press the HOME Button, a simple menu is displayed, and you won’t be able to return directly to the HOME Menu.
  • Neither the “Restore Point” function nor the “VC Suspend” functions are supported.
  • If you’re playing a game that includes a save function, you can select Save, and your data will be saved when you’ve finished playing the Game Boy Advance game.
  • During gameplay, the Nintendo 3DS system will not enter Sleep Mode even if you close it.
  • SpotPass and StreetPass will not function during gameplay.
  • You will be able to “Transfer to another Nintendo 3DS” with the “System Transfer” function that will be provided in future system updates.
  • *Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on Nintendo 3DS in the future.

Roto13

AbsoluteZero said:
Lol complaining about free stuff.
Don't bother. Donkey Kong Jr. and Ice Climber and Yoshi are all great game, and there's no point in arguing with someone who can't tell the difference between a bad game and a game they just personally don't like.

While I'm not complaining about the free games, I think it would've been better to give people some credits for the eshop to let them download what they actually want. In my case I played through all of these NES games already several times and I'm sure I will play through some on the 3DS again, but I think most people won't do that or won't even touch them, because they are "too old" or don't appeal to them. I can understand that. I just think that buying let's say two or three things you really want would do better than 20 free items where you probably care about five at best, but wouldn't actually buy them. But then again, it's free, so whatever.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The crapping on the golf game is completely unwarranted. It's excellent. WAY better than "Golf," the first NES golf game.

Top Bottom