• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

GeekyDad said:
Or just regular NES VC. It seems their plan is to offer regular 2D NES VC in addition to the 3D Classics, and I'm guessing games like Punch Out, Kirby's Adventure and SMB3 will eventually be offered as 3DS VC if they don't become Classics.
I can't see them making Kirby's Adventure or SMB3 for 3D Classics. Punch-Out!! will probably end up there though.

watershed

Banned
fernoca said:
More than that. As the 2 (+1) games they've "remade" in 3D shows, the not only make the games widescreen, but change color schemes (a little) and add other elements to it; aside the 3D.

Xevious

NES
F4jz6.jpg

3D Classics
73XkX.png
I never realized how much work is done for 3d classics. The difference is like a whole new game. But too bad Nintendo didn't seem to realize this either and now it might affect how many 3d classics we get :(

Is it sad and pathetic that I opened the eShop on my NA 3DS and was desperatly hoping that the games were out? (They are not)

Come on its supposed to be a world wide update! >_> if its the 31st in Japan we better get them on the 31st too. <_<

WiiRevolution1 said:
Is it sad and pathetic that I opened the eShop on my NA 3DS and was desperatly hoping that the games were out? (They are not)

Come on its supposed to be a world wide update! >_> if its the 31st in Japan we better get them on the 31st too. <_<

I actually just did it too.

Are we positive it's free games and not free game? It seems as though all the media we've seen shows ONLY Super Mario Bros, like the demo screens of how to download Ambassador games, and this little sneak-peek screen, too.

They MIGHT indeed be rationing these out on a weekly basis, as some had suspected.

EDIT: Just read Cheesemeister's post. Disregard.

Poyunch

How easy is it to transfer files from SD card to SD card? I'm sort of worried about having to eventually "clean the fridge" with all these games. Are there hidden files on the SD card or is it literally just copy and pasting everything from card to card?

I might have to buy a bigger card in the future and I'd love to know.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Anything happen if you hold Select when you start it? Like the GB ones.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
PounchEnvy said:
How easy is it to transfer files from SD card to SD card? I'm sort of worried about having to eventually "clean the fridge" with all these games. Are there hidden files on the SD card or is it literally just copy and pasting everything from card to card?

Simple copy paste.

Somnid

PounchEnvy said:

You can't just pick an choose like with Wii and DSi because there's a mess of encrypted files. You need to copy the whole card structure.

Poyunch

Somnid said:
You can't just pick an choose like with Wii and DSi because there's a mess of encrypted files. You need to copy the whole card structure.
Well I didn't mean it like this. I just meant moving all my stuffs to a bigger card.

Like is this
dallow_bg said:
Simple copy paste.
safe?

I guess it is.

fernoca

Oh wow, I thought it was Monday and it's Wednesday..fuck me! XD
Was like , but I watched True Blood yesterday!!

What's this, next to 8/30? :p

IMG_0386.jpg

Cheesemeister said:
No.

The screen does look interlaced, though. I checked SMB, and it almost reaches the entire height of the upper screen.

The vertical res of the 3DS top screen and the NES are just about identical.

The GB/GBC resolutions were much, much smaller than the 3DS resolutions, which is why they offered two display modes.

Fernoca: Day of the week. Short for "kayoubi" &#28779;&#26332;&#26085;, or Wednesday. It literally means "Fire day."

oatmeal

Banned
Those screens of the Japanese versions are making me moist.

When the final 5 were announced, I felt like Wayne and Garth playing hockey...

"CAR!!!"

But now I'm seeing the screens and getting excited...

"GAME ON!!!"

BooJoh

Looking at the Metroid screen, it looks like they're running at 256x240, and showing an extra 16 pixels vertically, where the original NES version ran at 256x224 and cut off half of the top and bottom row of tiles. The same can be seen on Super Mario Bros, where the original title screen only had 1.5 tiles of ground.

oatmeal

Banned
BTW...they did an AWESOME job with the Urban Champion 3D Remake...that's awesome looking.

But no, I won't buy it. Too shallow.

fernoca

Yousefb said:
So are these games "3D Classics" as well or are they ports of the original NES games?
Yep, as noted roms/ports. Keep in mind that:

fernoca said:
More than that. As the 2 (+1) games they've "remade" in 3D shows, the not only make the games widescreen, but change color schemes (a little) and add other elements to it; aside the 3D.

Excitebike

NES
WNfSP.png

3D Classics
K6jet.jpg

Urban Champion

NES
YHIyZ.gif

3D Classics
VwFHO.jpg

Xevious

NES
F4jz6.jpg

3D Classics
73XkX.png

So, is not like 3D Classics are just quick ports that they slap 3D on them and charge $6.

BooJoh said:
Looking at the Metroid screen, it looks like they're running at 256x240, and showing an extra 16 pixels vertically, where the original NES version ran at 256x224 and cut off half of the top and bottom row of tiles. The same can be seen on Super Mario Bros, where the original title screen only had 1.5 tiles of ground.

Good observation. This emulator might show more than the original hardware did.

Does anyone know if the Wii version did something similar, or did it just roughly double the display resolution to ~480, but keep the bottom of the screen more cut off?

Yousefb

Eh thanks for the replies guys, I was hoping Metroid/ZeldaII/Mario Bros would get that Urban Champion treatment, would've been sweeeeeet

Top Bottom