• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

All the "This isn't the SHITTY Golf." posts in this thread are bumming me out. Me and my buds played way too much Golf in Animal Crossing, and I loved seeing the courses used again for Wii Sports.

JoshuaJSlone said:
All the "This isn't the SHITTY Golf." posts in this thread are bumming me out. Me and my buds played way too much Golf in Animal Crossing, and I loved seeing the courses used again for Wii Sports.

I actually like GOLF and TENNIS. But then again....I'm old. I imagine most younger people with 3DS's wouldn't want games that old.

Zomba13

Wish one of the NES games was Punch Out. Never had an NES so first played it in Animal Crossing. I expect they might want to make it a 3D Classic or whatever though.

Zomba13 said:
Wish one of the NES games was Punch Out. Never had an NES so first played it in Animal Crossing. I expect they might want to make it a 3D Classic or whatever though.

I think you may be right. It seems tailor made for a 3D upgrade.

GeekyDad

angelfly said:
Being free doesn't make them exempt from criticism.

All right, that right there just makes too much sense!

Seriously, though, I mean, there are reviews for Facebook games, and though most of them are "free," they don't all receive perfect scores or come with a recommendation. It's traditional for people to adjust their expectations based on a given set of circumstances. Super Mario Bros. sold for a nice premium when it first released, but there's a reason it's being given away as part of the AP or sold for cheap on the Wii VC. Its value isn't the same as it once was for most of us.

It should also be noted that this isn't simply a case of looking a gift horse in the mouth. Nintendo aren't riding in on a white horse by presenting early adopters with these games; they're diffusing a potential PR nightmare. Let's call it what it is now...

I ain't bitching. I enjoyed most of those games back in the day, and SMB alone is enough for me. Doesn't change the fact I'd rather see Kirby's Adventure on that list over a few of the other games, and I expressed that. People don't need to pick a side in some phantom argument.

iqubal

Banned
All I want is punchout and kung fu for the nes and I'm happy haha.

Oh well, was never expecting anything from nintendo so free games is a bonus to me.

Cynosure said:
when playing virtual console games, is the streetpass still on?
or does it go off like when playing DS games?

Every game on Virtual Console that I've played allows street pass/home/game notes/etc. to all be used.

Cynosure said:
when playing virtual console games, is the streetpass still on?
or does it go off like when playing DS games?

For NES games, yes it's still on.

For GBA games it shuts off since they're not actually being emulated yet, but instead are being run in DS Mode (the final versions will probably be run under an emulator like everything else and so, will allow for streetpass to be used)

fernoca

Yes, NES games allow StreetPass, GBA won't.
Though, as OMG Aero posted last page:

Features of the Virtual Console NES titles (priority delivery version)
  • An electronic manual explaining game controls will be included.
  • The official version* (which will be delivered at a later date) will include a full electronic manual.
  • Alternating multiplayer modes are supported in some titles, but simultaneous multiplayer modes are not.
  • The official version* (which will be delivered at a later date) will also support versus play.
  • Does not include the “Restore Point” function (which allows you to create and load restore points at any time while gameplay) usually included in the Virtual Console Game Boy and Game Boy Color games.
  • However, it will include the “VC Suspend” function (which allows you to save the game when you suspend play by pressing the HOME Button). The official version* (which will be delivered at a later date) will support the Restore Points function.
  • You will be able to “Transfer to another Nintendo 3DS” with the “System Transfer” function that will be provided in future system updates.
  • *Official versions of the games will be launched later for a fee, but Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to upgrade from the priority delivery version to the official version free of charge.

Features of the Virtual Console Game Boy Advance titles
  • Manuals will be available.
  • Wireless functions and peripheral devices are not supported.
  • When you press the HOME Button, a simple menu is displayed, and you won’t be able to return directly to the HOME Menu.
  • Neither the “Restore Point” function nor the “VC Suspend” functions are supported.
  • If you’re playing a game that includes a save function, you can select Save, and your data will be saved when you’ve finished playing the Game Boy Advance game.
  • During gameplay, the Nintendo 3DS system will not enter Sleep Mode even if you close it.
  • SpotPass and StreetPass will not function during gameplay.
  • You will be able to “Transfer to another Nintendo 3DS” with the “System Transfer” function that will be provided in future system updates.
  • *Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on Nintendo 3DS in the future.

Javier

I have mixed feelings on the Save State feature. It's certainly helpful in games like Link's Awakening so you can easily get the special ending, but I'm sure there's some guy out there that's cheating with it on G&W Gallery and Mario's Picross.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Javier said:
I have mixed feelings on the Save State feature. It's certainly helpful in games like Link's Awakening so you can easily get the special ending, but I'm sure there's some guy out there that's cheating with it on G&W Gallery and Mario's Picross.

Well, it's up to the player to decide what's exploiting and what's not. If being able to save constantly in a challenging game means it's more fun for them than dying over and over, then I don't see the issue. People have been doing this on emulators forever as it is.

rhino4evr

Some decent games here, but I'm more interested in what GBA games we will get.

Also..why has Nintedo never released Kung Fu on the VC? That was my very first NES game, yes before Mario even

angelfly

Javier said:
Why does it matter to you if people use it to cheat?

rhino4evr said:
Some decent games here, but I'm more interested in what GBA games we will get.

Also..why has Nintedo never released Kung Fu on the VC? That was my very first NES game, yes before Mario even

Because Kung Fu was made by Irem, they don't actually own that one.

KarmaCow

Whew, thankfully they're all coming at once. I was starting to regret not getting Devil Survivor and not having a portable game to play on the bus.

Thoraxes

Woah woah, we're getting Wrecking Crew instead of Yoshi? Fuck yes!
KarmaCow said:
Whew, thankfully they're all coming at once. I was starting to regret not getting Devil Survivor and not having a portable game to play on the bus.
You should regret it! The game is awesome, and if you didn't play/beat the first it's totally worth it.

MooMoo

Roto13 said:
GBA games were designed as portable games. They don't need any new features.
To add on to this, many GBA games as far as I know have sleep features in their menus somewhere. I know Fusion does as should Yoshi's Island.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
•The official version* (which will be delivered at a later date) will also support versus play.
What does this mean?
As in 2 3DS systems will be able to play?

Also, I'm glad you can now transfer these titles. No longer locked.

donny2112

Fuzzy said:
Quit mocking me. :(

I'm actually interested in your situation. Getting exactly 600 coins each year is an interesting concept. You shouldn't have to wait more than a couple of weeks to see reports on if the beta versions give Club Nintendo coins. It's actually a decent possibility that the beta versions may not give coins, in my view, since many of the "final" features won't be included in the beta releases. I'm rooting for you to make it, not mocking. :)

Edit:
Saw that the games are automatically downloaded to your download history. If that forces the post-play surveys on you, too, as a last resort, you could just let the surveys expire. You'd lose 10 coins, but keep the 600 streak alive. :)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Billychu said:
But...I don't like Zelda 2.

D7p8w.gif

If you have not played it in a while, give it a chance. It actually holds up pretty well, and the departure from the usual formula feels good man.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
this thread went from zero to clusterfuck in record time. I don't even want to look at it on launch day.

mr_chun

Slightly disappoint that Kirby's Adventure didn't make the list, as it was rumored to. But free is free, I guess.

And praying that Punch-Out's exclusion is due to it being in development as a 3D Classic. C'mon Nintendo!

mr_chun said:
Slightly disappoint that Kirby's Adventure didn't make the list, as it was rumored to. But free is free, I guess.

And praying that Punch-Out's exclusion is due to it being in development as a 3D Classic. C'mon Nintendo!

If it's not, then someone at Nintendo seriously fucked up.

fernoca

Maybe, Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland is one of the GBA games and since it's a remake of that Kirby game we didn't get it on NES.

M3d10n

Aru said:
No suspend/save state functions for GBA games is pretty sad :(
The GBA games are either being repackaged as DSi games or will run via some experimental GBA BC based on the DS BC. This explains the lack of sleep feature: DS games can do it because they do it in their original hardware.

But if they were DSiWare ports, Nintendo could easily add sleep support so I'm leaning towards the later: due to the differences between DS cards and GBA carts (the DS needs to load stuff into RAM before using while the GBA can read directly from the ROM) some games might not transfer without modifications, so they'd need to be able to load the entire GBA ROMs into RAM, of which there isn't enough in DS-BC mode (16MB max).

The NES games are obviously using a beta of a NES 3DS VC system, so they are true 3DS applications.

Futureman

AceBandage said:
If it's not, then someone at Nintendo seriously fucked up.

I ain't no game developer, but it seems like it would be an easy title to transfer to 3D as the view of the screen never changes. I'm kinda getting wet thinking about it.

Happy with the list. The NES games weren't the ones I was looking forwards to really, but now I'll finally be able to beat Metroid, and try Zelda 2 again.

Edit: No fucking shit, I just now looked up Wrecking Crew on Youtube, and realized that that game gave me fucking nightmares as a kid. The bad guys in that game scared the shit outta me.

StickSoldier said:
Happy with the list. The NES games weren't the ones I was looking forwards to really, but now I'll finally be able to beat Metroid, and try Zelda 2 again.

Are you not disappointed that there are no simpsons games, tom and jerry game and keanu reeves games?

fernoca

Futureman said:
I ain't no game developer, but it seems like it would be an easy title to transfer to 3D as the view of the screen never changes. I'm kinda getting wet thinking about it.
More than that. As the 2 (+1) games they've "remade" in 3D shows, the not only make the games widescreen, but change color schemes (a little) and add other elements to it; aside the 3D.

Excitebike

NES
WNfSP.png

3D Classics
K6jet.jpg

Urban Champion

NES
YHIyZ.gif

3D Classics
VwFHO.jpg

Xevious

NES
F4jz6.jpg

3D Classics
73XkX.png

GeekyDad

mr_chun said:

Or just regular NES VC. It seems their plan is to offer regular 2D NES VC in addition to the 3D Classics, and I'm guessing games like Punch Out, Kirby's Adventure and SMB3 will eventually be offered as 3DS VC if they don't become Classics.

Top Bottom