• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

fernoca

Tyeforce said:
Actually, 3D Classics: Xevious is based off of the arcade version, not the NES version, that's why it looks so different.

Arcade
http://caesar.logiqx.com/snaps/emus/multi/mame/xevious_2.png

3D Classics
http://i.imgur.com/73XkX.png
Yep, but that's the point. The game's are not just direct NES games with added 3D. :p

Gravijah said:
and millia rage throwing an imaginary pokeball

http://www.abload.de/img/milliastanceanibc5y.gif
Imaginary Pokeball, for imaginary people that play Guilty Gear! :p

Tyeforce

fernoca said:
Yep, but that's the point. The game's are not just direct NES games with added 3D. :p
Yeah, definitely not. Though Excitebike and Urban Champion differ from their original games much more than Xevious. Excitebike and Urban Champion have been completely remade with 3D models, while Xevious only has 3D layered sprites.

Also, it's weird that they chose the Famicom version of Twinbee for 3D Classics instead of the arcade version, yet they chose the arcade version of Xevious over the Famicom/NES version.

Lupin the Wolf said:
Good observation. This emulator might show more than the original hardware did.

Does anyone know if the Wii version did something similar, or did it just roughly double the display resolution to ~480, but keep the bottom of the screen more cut off?

I'm pretty sure that it cut off the bottom part of the screen, just like the original hardware. It looks like Nintendo aren't looking to emulate the exact NES experience here like on Wii (either that, or they're gonna change it with the final version)

Edit: Just double checked. Yep, the Wii VC cuts off the bottom part of the image, just like the original hardware does.

I knew I should have brought my JPN 3DS with me :/
Oh well, I'll be home in a couple of hours. Downloading the games should be faster by then too.

angelfly said:
Well it looks like the game do save the state when you quit.

Is it just me or is Super Mario Bros virtually unplayable with the slide pad? The D-pad is a bit uncomfortable though....

I feel like my 3ds is broken(I have dropped it a few times)

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Balloon Fight was good fun and quite playable with the analog. Playing other games with the D-pad was horrible. Plus the brightness was a little fishy, the games looked kinda dull.

Oh well...

Tyeforce

I Push Fat Kids said:
I've never played Urban Champion and tbh, the new look made me want it... Is it that shitty?
I actually found it to be quite fun as a little pick up and play game. I can see how it would be dead boring on a home console, but on a handheld, it's pretty neat. I'd say it's worth the $5.

fernoca

I Push Fat Kids said:
I've never played Urban Champion and tbh, the new look made me want it... Is it that shitty?
Is not that it really sucks "OMG is so bad", is more than just there's not much to do...or even have fun with.

Trailer of the 3D Classic version (so it's basically that multiplied by how much you play it)

EDIT:
Yep, what Tye said.
As an easy/quick pick up handheld game is not bad per se, is just that..don't expect much out of it. Depends on if you really want to spend the $5 on it.

watershed

Banned
I Push Fat Kids said:
Its a fun and simple game. Have u seen the video for it on the eshop? That's the game in a nutshell.

Kevtones

Thanks for the advice - I thought it looked kind of okay from the vids :)

I'm looking for more 'pick up and play' type experiences and I need something aside from Excitebike... Bought!

fernoca

I Push Fat Kids said:
Thanks for the advice - I thought it looked kind of okay from the vids :)

I'm looking for more 'pick up and play' type experiences and I need something aside from Excitebike... Bought!
But it will be given away for free starting this Friday!! :O!!

Nah, kidding, enjoy. Yeah the visual style is nice and a really tempting reason to get it. :p

Tyeforce

Please tell me I'm not the only one who's been checking the eShop every 15 minutes or so to see if the NES games are available on the North American eShop yet. XD

Tyeforce

chickdigger802 said:
do that in a day ;)
I figured as much. About what time did the games go up in Japan? I'm guessing if they do go up early over here, it'll be at about the same time that they went up in Japan.

Arren

One thing I'm worried about is whether Europe is going to get PAL roms hardlocked to their 50Hz original crippled framerate.

I hope it doesn't turn out to be a repeat of the Wii VC disaster, in that regard.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Arren said:
One thing I'm worried about is whether Europe is going to get PAL roms hardlocked to their 50Hz original crippled framerate.

I hope it doesn't turn out to be a repeat of the Wii VC disaster, in that regard.
well, the 3DS isn't a TV, and they're all games that barely have anything that needed to be localized (or were only ever in two languages to begin with).

fernoca said:

Imaginary Pokeball, for imaginary people that play Guilty Gear! :p

Wait, what? Was that a knock against Guilty Gear? WE CAN TAKE THIS INSIDE YOU KNOW

Edit: Boo, I just realized I'll probably be asleep by the time it releases on the 1st. Most likely the second for me. :(

Tyeforce

Lord Ghirahim said:
Err, no? I'm looking at the list right now and it says "発売予定です". It won't let me download any of the 10 games yet.
Maybe Nintendo didn't mean to make the games downloadable yet, just put placeholders for them on the eShop, so they've just fixed their mistake now?

EDIT: Never mind, didn't see your last post when I posted this, thought you meant something else.

KarmaCow

Takao said:
I still don't see any of the NES games there ...

Weird I just downloaded SMB and Zelda, I don't know what to say.

Though now I'm paranoid I'm not going to get coins because they're technically not up for download yet.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
If I'm the first USA 3DS Ambassador downloader, I should really get a little sticker or interviewed by Kotaku, or SOMETHING... right? Heh.

Takao

Banned
I checked that site to see if I qualified for Ambassador program and I did (I bought my 3DS in June), but I see nothing ... Anyways, I'm from Toronto if that helps anyone.

vall03

Naked Snake said:
Games not showing up in my Account Activity or Downloads :(((

This better not be some IP-blocking shenanigans from Nintendo
I'd be totally pissed if this is IP-blocked like Nintendo Video

Arren

By the way, NoE was very lazy in providing adequate information for the matter.

As far as I know, they didn't even setup that promised website to test if you qualified for the program, didn't they?

Top Bottom