• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

Mockingbird said:
Scroll down and select "Account Activity" to view a list of transactions.

Games_step_2.png

The NES game will be listed here once it is available to download. Tap "Software Info," and then "Redownload" to begin the download process.

Games_step_3.png

The instructions don't even match the pics.
25kr3v5.jpg

As I posted earlier, you'll find the games under Your Downloads. Not Account Activity.

Ok, I downloaded all the stuff on my jp. 3DS and I'm located in Germany, so there is no IP block or whatsoever.

Anyway, been playing Super Mario Bros. for a while and I gotta say the slider controls are not that responsive as I expected them to be. Beside that you got no save option and no manual. By pressing L+R you can switch between player 1 and player 2. That's pretty much it.

MoxManiac said:
Games aren't up for me. Why does it work for some and not others?
Don't they use some sort of cloud computing service for the eShop. All I can think is the data takes time to propogate to your local node of the cloud.

Don't ask me why this should be different to regular eShop updates. I can only speculate these are only just put on the server while other updates are done in advance (hence why we get earlier PR) and the local server time unlocks them.

As for NOE. They can't even make a website that allows you download an 110 MB ZIP file work right...or they're waiting for an emulator with scaling so they can use the pointless, crappy 50Hz versions because "they are the originals" (which is like saying a blu-ray of a film first released in that region of VHS should look as good as the VHS).

zigg

Mailenstein said:
Anyway, been playing Super Mario Bros. for a while and I gotta say the slider controls are not that responsive as I expected them to be. Beside that you got no save option and no manual. By pressing L+R you can switch between player 1 and player 2. That's pretty much it.
Why would you play SMB with the slide pad? It was designed for digital control.

Nothing on my account yet. I'm a confirmed US ambassador living in Michigan. Probably filtering the purchase records in slowly.

Javier

I'm not trying the games out until I download everything. I can totally see Nintendo going "Shit, they weren't supposed to be up yet" and taking them out until tomorrow. What sucks is that here at work the only way to connect my 3DS online is by sharing my iPhone's Internet, so the download speed is slow as molasses. Oh well, better than nothing.

SMB, Metroid, Zelda 1 and Wrecking Crew done. NES OT Golf is up next.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Mailenstein said:
I just noticed the L+R option and wondered if anyone else did. It's still possible to "quit & save" in Zelda and Metroid...

It's worth noting that while tge games have no full manuals, they DO have the standard 3DS Manual function, which presents a controller function card for the game.

All games feature a suspend state (essentially identical to Wii VC titles) and the battery saves work for the Zelda games.

qq more

Everyone that can't download the games shouldn't worry. I really think Nintendo is activating the game downloads serial by serial. Because this is seriously what it's sounding like now. :V

Mailenstein said:
Ok, I downloaded all the stuff on my jp. 3DS and I'm located in Germany, so there is no IP block or whatsoever.

You can have this PDF manual instead!

zigg

DavidDayton said:
All games feature a suspend state (essentially identical to Wii VC titles) and the battery saves work for the Zelda games.
Sweet. Suspend state is all I need. It takes effect when you switch software, I take it?

Arren

Starwolf_UK said:
As for NOE. They can't even make a website that allows you download an 110 MB ZIP file work right...or they're waiting for an emulator with scaling so they can use the pointless, crappy 50Hz versions because "they are the originals" (which is like saying a blu-ray of a film first released in that region of VHS should look as good as the VHS).
I can't even state properly how much I agree with you. That silly motivation is just another gleaming example of their incompetence.

Our Wii VC was dreadful and compromised beyond any excuse.

zigg said:
Why would you play SMB with the slide pad? It was designed for digital control.
So that means decent slide pad controls are impossible? I see nothing wrong in giving an opinion on that.

DavidDayton said:
I just noticed the L+R option and wondered if anyone else did. It's still possible to "quit & save" in Zelda and Metroid...

It's worth noting that while tge games have no full manuals, they DO have the standard 3DS Manual function, which presents a controller function card for the game.

Well, I meant the built-in save option like Game Boy VC classics have for example. But then again, that's no news actually.

Lord Ghirahim said:
You can have this PDF manual instead!
I have seen those, but I was talking about no ingame manual as of yet.

Takao

Banned
For some reason I felt like choosing 2 Player Mode in Super Mario. The game doesn't all you to play or anything. You have to exit to the home menu once it's Player 2's turn, lol.

As well, does anyone find it a bit difficult to play Mario with the 3DS? I feel like there's too much resistance in the buttons, and the d-pad. It makes it a bit harder to land jumps.

Clunker

Grabbing them now (I'm in New Jersey)! Be sure to look in Settings/Other -> Your Downloads instead of the Account Activity option.

I remember putting a ton of time as a kid into NES Open Tournament Golf. It was the first golf game I remember having any sort of career mode. <3

I'm in Grenada (that's in the Caribbean - go Kirani!), with my 3DS set to 'United States'. The games are available for me. Downloading SMB now!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
May I just say that Wrecking Crew is an amazing game. I never got the chance to play it before and it is surprisingly entertaining.

I want an update, Nintendo.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Takao said:
does anyone find it a bit difficult to play Mario with the 3DS? I feel like there's too much resistance in the buttons, and the d-pad. It makes it a bit harder to land jumps.

Only a bit difficult? I'd say that freaking d-pad is nothing but pure garbage. 3DS Lite can't come soon enough...

What is the "Ambassador Certificate" download? Would it even be worth grabbing? It seems like all it is would just be notifications for when new stuff comes out.

Futureman

They probably released early to lessen the server load. E-shop was all fucked up because everyone was hitting it at once. Games are taking like 7 seconds to download for me.

Now I have 10 gifts on my home screen and it FEELS LIKE CHRISTMAS.

HA, downloading the certificate thing, and as the little balls are dropping into the app icon, the little eshop bag was on one of the balls and fell off. I never saw that before.

I'm downloading Nintendo Video and Netflix (although they are IP blocked), hoping that "refreshing" my list of downloads will make the games show up... still no games :(

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I've tried them all, and they seem emulated well enough. Since they're just NES games, I probably won't play them all that often. But they'll be nice to have when I'm in the right mood.

KittenMaster said:
What is the "Ambassador Certificate" download? Would it even be worth grabbing? It seems like all it is would just be notifications for when new stuff comes out.

It's just a cool icon you can use for streetpassing.

Takao said:
For some reason I felt like choosing 2 Player Mode in Super Mario. The game doesn't all you to play or anything. You have to exit to the home menu once it's Player 2's turn, lol.
A few posts above was something about L+R letting you switch to controller 2.

Luigi87

Finally up! *clicks re-download*
Error Code (I forget the number)
Press the Home button, then turn the system off and on again before retrying.

x.x

Edit: There it goes..

Top Bottom