• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

Bankoiia

Takao said:
For some reason I felt like choosing 2 Player Mode in Super Mario. The game doesn't all you to play or anything. You have to exit to the home menu once it's Player 2's turn, lol.

As well, does anyone find it a bit difficult to play Mario with the 3DS? I feel like there's too much resistance in the buttons, and the d-pad. It makes it a bit harder to land jumps.
So there is no way to play as Luigi? Bummer.

Lupin3 said:
Only a bit difficult? I'd say that freaking d-pad is nothing but pure garbage. 3DS Lite can't come soon enough...

Japanese blogs are saying if you use one(a grip) of these:
51MkQLs3M-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Things become a lot easier to control, going to buy one tomorrow and test it out, as it is like now I just can't enjoy super mario bros

Luigi87

dallow_bg said:
Downloaded them all.
Man I hope they add a cart system. That was tedious.

Verily.
Annoying how it always sends one back to the Store Front, rather than just the Your Downloads page.

Luigi87

I certainly hope there is a way to view reverse history order in Your Downloads in the future.
... Downloading the GBA games, all of which will be on page 2+ will be freaking tedious.

LOL @ The Legend of Zelda

While playing the game, press start to see your inventory.

Hold L+R now and press Y to switch to player 2.

Now press UP+A and the save option will show up.

Hold L+R and press Y again to switch back to player 1.

You are able to save your game now.

Shit still works lol.

Edit: and for Metroid too btw.

what a hassle....They relly need a cart or queue system and a folder setup. I went through op and saw nothing...any way to get these to stretch to fit on top screen? too fuking small for me.

And i really needed a video for a ambassador notification toggle

JackFrost said:
what a hassle....They relly need a cart or queue system and a folder setup. I went through op and saw nothing...any way to get these to stretch to fit on top screen? too fuking small for me.

And i really needed a video for a ambassador notification toggle

It was one of the worst videos ever too. The music was nice though.

Wrecking Crew is pretty awesome. I can't believe Nintendo hasn't pimped this game out of all of the pre-SMB games they've made.

If you like Donkey Kong '94 or its successors, then you'll probably like Wrecking Crew because it is a puzzler game.

KittenMaster said:
This will be my first time playing Wrecking Crew. This game is surprisingly obscure for a Mario game.

I'm sitting here pressing A trying to get the one player game started but it wont start

the I remember this is an NES game Press START :p

I have no idea how to play this one tho died like 4 times

Takao

Banned
Ah, I'm sorry about any confusion over the Mario thing.

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Japanese blogs are saying if you use one of these:
IMG_1539s.jpg

Things become a lot easier to control, going to buy one tomorrow and test it out, as it is like now I just can't enjoy super mario bros

What exactly is that? The image doesn't show up, and the link redirects me to a 404 page.

Takao

Banned
Smiles and Cries said:
remove the small "s" at the end of the file name to see it

Ah it's just one of those handle things. I thought it was some d-pad accessory like the PSP got with Street Fighter. :(

naoki5001

Been a while since I played Zelda 2, but I saved here twice: once by dying, the other using the L+R button controller switch and save method, and each time the skills were reset to level 1.

Is this just because of the "beta" status of these releases?

Smiles and Cries said:
I'm sitting here pressing A trying to get the one player game started but it wont start

the I remember this is an NES game Press START :p

I have no idea how to play this one tho died like 4 times
It took me a few minutes to figure out what was going on.

On the first stage, I learned:
- You cannot enter the door you open, but you can get enemies to walk behind it, and if you can lure it up a ladder or something and get the door to close on it, it'll be stuck behind the wall and you are safe from it.

- You can break lightly colored ladders. (Took me awhile to figure this out, as I was wondering why I haven't won after breaking everything else).

- Bombs do chain breaking, so they're kinda like comboers.

at least there's a universal save state for these games if you just quit out to the homescreen, like on wii. i was worried we'd be stuck with the 3DS equivalent of battery saves.

Mailenstein said:
LOL @ The Legend of Zelda

While playing the game, press start to see your inventory.

Hold L+R now and press Y to switch to player 2.

Now press UP+A and the save option will show up.

Hold L+R and press Y again to switch back to player 1.

You are able to save your game now.

Shit still works lol.

Edit: and for Metroid too btw.

man now I am itching for some NES games with the Komani Code

UP UP DOWN DOWN LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT A B SELECT START

I'm liking these games a lot.

I've never played some of these. Zelda 2 has an amazing soundtrack.

VGChampion said:
I can't find any of the ambassador games on my eShop. Just double checked Nintendo's checker thing and I am an ambassador.

As posted above, look at "My Downloads" in the settings menu

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
VGChampion said:
I can't find any of the ambassador games on my eShop. Just double checked Nintendo's checker thing and I am an ambassador.

It's under Settings / Other on the far left. Then click on Your Downloads. And then scroll through until you see the games and a REDOWNLOAD button.

EvilMario said:
It's under Settings / Other on the far left. Then click on Your Downloads. And then scroll through until you see the games and a REDOWNLOAD button.

Yeah, I was stupid and didn't see that at first. Don't know if it mattered but I also turned off my 3DS since it's been on for weeks. :p

GeekyDad

Well, this is a nice surprise. Perhaps the sweetest part about this is is beating out the mad rush tomorrow should the servers get hit.

Guessing most folks' first order of business will be SMB -- will be mine.

zigg said:
Square pixels? Really?!

That's what they should be doing on the 3DS screen. The vertical resolution of both consoles is identical, so they can't use rectangular pixels without it looking like junk.

Besides, they're not trying to recreate the NES experience exactly here (that's what the console VC is for), they're not cutting off the bottom pixels like the original hardware does anyway.

Goddammit! WHERE ARE MY NES GAMES NOE?! This is bollocks, I better not have to wait all the way until tomorrow if Japan and the US get them today...

M3d10n

Downloading now from Brazil.

The games have actual eShop descriptions (in Portuguese too) with screenshots and all, but there's no way to reach them via the search features.

Games look great on the 3DS screen. Almost makes up for the GB scaling issues on 3DS. Hope SNES and Genesis make tgeir way over eventually too.

Metroid's soundtrack is timeless.

Smiles and Cries said:
they are too busy playing Xenoblade
LLShC.gif

We all had plenty of time to prepare for that single game while you guys were playing Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound and Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games before VII and VIII respectively though.

Thoraxes

Damn I've been in commute for 2 hours, and I can't download them here while I have meetings. :(
Looking forward to getting home at 6PM to download these and hopefully I'll miss the mad rush of people.

tim.mbp

I've only downloaded the certificate so far. I want to see if I'll get a notification for them.

How are people organizing their Home screen? Seems like things will start to get really cluttered.

Am I missing something here? Everytime I go to my Account Activity and choose any game, it says "Coming to Nintendo eShop"
I've also restarted my system a couple times, I reside in Canada.

e_i

Nintendo, you couldn't make any more annoying to download these? Did you really have to boot me back to the store screen after every download?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Painful process to download, because after a download, it takes you back to the 'main menu' on eShop. But I've finished. Wahoo.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
IceDoesntHelp said:
Am I missing something here? Everytime I go to my Account Activity and choose any game, it says "Coming to Nintendo eShop"

Repeating again. It's under Settings / Other on the far left. Then click on Your Downloads. And then scroll through until you see the games and a REDOWNLOAD button.

It took a bit getting used to having played these games for so many years on 13-42 inch screens. But I have gotten used to it and am starting with Zelda 1.

I have gotten through the first 3 dungeons without getting hit once anywhere. I don't understand how I am doing it considering I've never ever been able to make it past the first two or three screens without getting hit before. I am pretty sure it's all luck, but it feels pretty nice.

Top Bottom