• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official GAF Chromehounds Squad Thread

Ashodin

Well there would be Mech Registration - name, identifying markings, what chassis to look for, etc. to ensure no cheating.

One mech for the whole thing should be good - people can test out a certain mech and see how it holds up against other viable types.

i have a question. The reviews sort of give the impression that the game does not take much skill when it comes to actual combat i think they said it was all just simple circle strafing. The only thing that really matters is the parts you have.....is this true?

Ashodin

Kabuki Waq said:
i have a question. The reviews sort of give the impression that the game does not take much skill when it comes to actual combat i think they said it was all just simple circle strafing. The only thing that really matters is the parts you have.....is this true?
Untrue - Circle Strafing is only ONE technique out of many you could use.

Circle Strafing comes into play when you're upclose (Soldier RT). It's the only way to truly dodge an enemy's close range fire.

Other than that, you have buildings, terrain, COMBAS towers, things to hide behind, things to use to your advantage (water for instance) and disadvantage (blowing up oil fields for massive HEAT damage).

Maxrpg said:
Kabuki Waq said:
Untrue - Circle Strafing is only ONE technique out of many you could use.

Circle Strafing comes into play when you're upclose (Soldier RT). It's the only way to truly dodge an enemy's close range fire.

Other than that, you have buildings, terrain, COMBAS towers, things to hide behind, things to use to your advantage (water for instance) and disadvantage (blowing up oil fields for massive HEAT damage).
Very true. Circle strafing is always a technique in shooters, but like any other game, you still need to skill. Depending on your loadout, weapons have different firing rates or velocities, requiring you to aim properly (unless you're using so-called "heat-seekers"). But, again, this only applies to 1v1 up close combat. Working with a team or playing a different class requires a completely different set of abilities. Snipers and Heavy Gunners need to take into account range, target speed, and a number of other factors to properly hit the target. Commanders don't often fight, they are the strategic backbone of the squad. This is what takes true skill, the teamwork. You could have the "best" equipment in the game (it's all debatable because everything has a tradeoff), but still get your ass handed to you because you don't work with your squad. Base placement, squad movement, terrain use, and formations are all critical.

Spooka

chespace said:
The NeoGAF Brigade are Morskoj now and we'll have openings tonight.

But what I'm really interested in are getting people together who play a lot and play during the same hours. That would make the best squad, theoretically anyway.

I've been trying to get on a squad for well over a week with no luck so I'd like to join up with the NEOGAF Brigade if possible. I would of tried to join the 13th last night but I had switched over to Morskoj a few hours before that spot opened.
7:00pm PST to 3:00am is when I'm usually around and that seems to fit with what I've read on here. I'll be on almost every night and I'll just remove myself if I'm ever not going to be active to make room.
One question I've had is how damage is calculated for the weapons vs the defense of the hound part, like if a gun does 1000 KE damage and its shooting a part with a 3000 durability and a 40 KE defense or whatever, would 3 shots on that part take it out? Or does it work differently?

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
Killed rushers three times in a row, once with 3 against 4. LOL! :lol

They will switch tactics now Im sure!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
also when you're using a slow mech like mine... to circle strafe an enemy... it would take me about a minute to go full circle... not really a tactic i'd like to use on any one occasion

Kobold said:
Killed rushers three times in a row, once with 3 against 4. LOL! :lol

They will switch tactics now Im sure!

Glad you guys took them out again. I'm eating dinner right now and will be back on later. Don't Hate!

DopeyFish

maxrpg - i told you everytime you asked me to come help you in your area that it's a bad idea and everytime i complied and died everytime. I am PURE DEFENSIVE. When you throw an artillery hound with NO ARMOR PLATING into a CLOSE QUARTERS firefight... I am not going to survive. Once I go running to save your lives (at a whole 5 mph!) - You're needlessly wasting my hound. I might get oh what? 2 good shots in before someone crushes me?

Not everyone is suited for a head-on assault - so stop bugging me about it. I know my role and I know what to do so stop attempting to piss on me because I can't be your super assault hound!

Ashodin

DopeyFish said:
maxrpg - i told you everytime you asked me to come help you in your area that it's a bad idea and everytime i complied and died everytime. I am PURE DEFENSIVE. When you throw an artillery hound with NO ARMOR PLATING into a CLOSE QUARTERS firefight... I am not going to survive. Once I go running to save your lives (at a whole 5 mph!) - You're needlessly wasting my hound. I might get oh what? 2 good shots in before someone crushes me?

Not everyone is suited for a head-on assault - so stop bugging me about it. I know my role and I know what to do so stop attempting to piss on me because I can't be your super assault hound!
Well, I had to let you go from the squad because of your negligence to comply to orders. The commander in the battle, regardless of whatever or whoever is behind the NA, is the one coordinating your movements. That means, they know the best route for you to take, regardless of how slow or fast you move. Even if I'm with mirik(kobold) and he tells me to retreat, even though I want to head up the front lines.

It's the same thing with your pure defensive mech - they're not going to notice you when we have soldiers engaging them actively. So had you trudged up with purg3 and KidInsomnia, you'd've been able to support them with cover fire from your cannons. Without you, they had no fears about just attacking the two of them by themselves. Even your presence itself allows people to shift tactics and they slip up, letting us win in our favor.

But you hadn't been listening, and were asking over and over who is an enemy or a friend, and you should know by now that people will either be using the Squad colors (gold/white) or their own (usually some form of BLACK). The constant nagging and lack of attention to details (from commander or battle alone) has caused not just me, but several members of the 13th to let you go. I wish you better endeavors in another squad, rookie.

Reave

Maxrpg said:
Well, I had to let you go from the squad because of your negligence to comply to orders. The commander in the battle, regardless of whatever or whoever is behind the NA, is the one coordinating your movements. That means, they know the best route for you to take, regardless of how slow or fast you move. Even if I'm with mirik(kobold) and he tells me to retreat, even though I want to head up the front lines.

It's the same thing with your pure defensive mech - they're not going to notice you when we have soldiers engaging them actively. So had you trudged up with purg3 and KidInsomnia, you'd've been able to support them with cover fire from your cannons. Without you, they had no fears about just attacking the two of them by themselves. Even your presence itself allows people to shift tactics and they slip up, letting us win in our favor.

But you hadn't been listening, and were asking over and over who is an enemy or a friend, and you should know by now that people will either be using the Squad colors (gold/white) or their own (usually some form of BLACK). The constant nagging and lack of attention to details (from commander or battle alone) has caused not just me, but several members of the 13th to let you go. I wish you better endeavors in another squad, rookie.

lol

AZ Greg

Maxrpg said:

:lol

DopeyFish

supporting fire? excuse me? I sit at base to make sure the kiddies don't rush and crush our base - something I HAVE SAVED YOU FROM SEVERAL TIMES. But no! You're all knowing - let's send dopey into a firefight which he can't win! By the time I got up that hill I had 2 guys assaulting me from EACH SIDE. Failed strategy? yes. That's why I chose not to listen to you! It's obvious you make your commands based on desperation and not on a strategically sound plan. I AM NOT A CLOSE QUARTERS FIGHTER. MY HOUND WILL FALL WITHIN SECONDS IF I TAKE A BARRAGE OF HITS. And I asked who was on that hill BECAUSE I COULDN'T SEE HIM! I see rockets flying overtop of me from each side. ONE PERSON IS ON THE HILL. ONE PERSON IS ON A FLAT PLAIN. It would have been very simple to answer the question when it was asked! I wanted to know where I should be aiming simply because it takes me 5 seconds to rotate my DEFENSIVE HOUND and if I start looking at the wrong person - I could be dead. Oh but that makes no sense! Just look at everybody, right?!

How about 2 matches before? You asked me to go help you on the front line - I decided to fall back. Oooh! Who was the only one at base taking out half the other team as they were attacking our base? Thanks. What about the match before that? Mr. "Oh there's only 1 guy left!" Me: "OK! this should be easy!" *starts kicking enemy hound ass* ... All of a sudden I have another hound kick my ass.

Anyways... Where's the NeoGAF brigade at?

Maxrpg said:

LMAO ok i have to get this game now.

Maxrpg said:

:lol OMG WTF

The 13th is serious ****ing business evidently.

We'll take you Dopey. We need some more GAFers in the Brigade that actually want to play.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Kabuki Waq said:

The only thing any review of this game got right was that single player sucks. Everything else they said was just plain wrong.

There is so much nuance to the combat. It all depends on the type of mech you take. Some mechs are spikers, and they need to rush in and slam their piles into enemy mechs. Some are scouts and snipe from various vantage points. Some are indirect fire artillery mechs, which can potentially fire across the map when used in conjuntion with a spotter.

Not only that, but all weapons behave very different from one another. Sniper rifles, howitzers, autocannons, shotguns, guided missile pods, cannons, machine guns, etc. They all require very different tactics to use effectively. It even comes down to what type of chassis and where exactly the weapon is mounted. A sniper rifle mounted on an inverse-legged chassis will have much less recoil than one mounted on a hover chassis. All of this must be considered when deploying every weapon.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Okay, 4 spots just opened up in the NeoGAF Brigade.

Search "NeoGAF Brigade" and passcode is LB, RB, LT, RT.

Do it!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
chespace said:
Okay, 4 spots just opened up in the NeoGAF Brigade.

Search "NeoGAF Brigade" and passcode is LB, RB, LT, RT.

Do it!

Who else wasn't following orders on the battlefield?!

Ashodin

Nobiru said:
Man, Maxrpg is on some crazy ass power trip..haha

13th sounds kinda elitest, haha. chill out guys.
not elitist - we (not just me)just want to play with people who want to be a "team". DopeyFish wasn't playing with us, he started playing against us.

Maxrpg said:
not elitist - we (not just me)just want to play with people who want to be a "team". DopeyFish wasn't playing with us, he started playing against us.

sounds like he was playing a pretty good defender...which is part of the team.

Ashodin

Nobiru said:
sounds like he was playing a pretty good defender...which is part of the team.
I know about being a defender, but the head of the team (who makes the decisions) is usually the commander, so even if he wanted to play the defender role, he still had to listen to the commander (who is coordinating the attack) which he didn't do.

soooooo, he cant play a defender (which it sounds like he was doing pretty well at), so he can play a shitty Heavy cause the guy with the NA said so? were you guys losing a lot or something? i can see how you would be angry if you were losing....

not that it would be his fault or anything, but whatever, im sure he will like being in the Brigade anyway.

...and not like any of this really concerns me, since im not in either squad.

woulda liked to been in the Brigade to play with a buncha you on my friends list, but real life buddies are really into this game, so im playing with them, yay !

Ashodin

Nobiru said:
soooooo, he cant play a defender (which it sounds like he was doing pretty well at), so he can play a shitty Heavy cause the guy with the NA said so? were you guys losing a lot or something? i can see how you would be angry if you were losing....

not that it would be his fault or anything, but whatever, im sure he will like being in the Brigade anyway.

...and not like any of this really concerns me, since im not in either squad.

woulda liked to been in the Brigade to play with a buncha you on my friends list, but real life buddies are really into this game, so im playing with them, yay !
It's not that - we needed him to modify his abilities to help us (what the commander observed and asked for him to do) and he didn't comply.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Maxrpg said:
I know about being a defender, but the head of the team (who makes the decisions) is usually the commander, so even if he wanted to play the defender role, he still had to listen to the commander (who is coordinating the attack) which he didn't do.

Being a good commander also entails know what role your people play and employing them properly, putting a slow defensive mech into a frontline firefight is flat out stupid, being a commander doesn't give you the right to be retarded. Learn tactics, then command.

Maxrpg said:
It's not that - we needed him to modify his abilities to help us (what the commander observed and asked for him to do) and he didn't comply.

hey, well im not in the squad, so i cant really comment on how things really went down, but from what i read here, i see him playing a good commander, not wanting to follow the commanders commands, cause when he does he just gets 'owned', since his hound isnt set up for what your asking him to do.

then i see you come on, complain about him, and then kick him out of the squad.

just seems kinda shitty imo ! not the normal Gaf group ive seen, lots of angry posts commin from the 13th here.

Kobold

Hilarious 3 on 3!!!

We engaged the enemies, Silver took out ALL of them on one shit by sneaking up on them while they engaged us!! HAHAH In one shot too, BOOM dead. Move to next, BOOM dead. Next, Boom dead.

Like, he was point blank shooting on them from the back hahahaha, those dudes must've been like 'WHAAT!!'.

EDIT: we aren't elitist though? We make sure everyone plays and really it doesn't matter if you have bad moments, we all have that! I'm sure if someone doesn't want to play together though, it's no use playing with teammates, but I guess I dunno enough about that.

DopeyFish

basically this is how it went

All of my 5 teammates went up the slope and I was sitting by the base - first comments was "shit, they're coming FAST!"

So I set up to the back left of the base to attack the basekillers... most likely attack on that map is either the ramp or deep right which is why I set up there. Then They updated the co-ordinates and i asked if they were heavies, because their rate of progression was a little slow. Players at the front responded with a yes. So I started to set myself up lined up with the ramp because since they're heavies they are most likely going through the ramp and down because of their layout. Going the long way around left or right wouldn't make sense with heavies as they'd be far more at risk with a behind the back attack.

So as I was setting up they started to ask for my assistance, and I told them it would be a bad idea (simply because they were under attack at the top of the ramp - I will a) have a hard time with the hounds, because they're up close and quicker and b) i use indicenary bullets - which mean i also have a tendancy to severely damage friendlies - again because they're so upclose) Advantages for my class is shooting at cliffsides, shooting at over 700 feet on level ground and shooting over 1200 when on a cliffside shooting down. If it's upclose or if there is snipers involved, I can't do that. Anyways... So I OBEYED the order and when I was going up the ramp (which on my hound, TAKES TIME) there was a lot of cross fire overtop of the roadway. I asked which one is on the hill... (at the top/middle of the ramp there was a hill top/left was a plain) no one answered. I asked 4 more times and my teammates were like "well duh"... like I would know... I can't see shit.. remember? so my teammates got mauled and then I was the next target. Easy kill, considering fire from multiple sides - there is no chance to set up with close range targets. It's just shoot and pray for the best.

I would have stayed a distance away at the bottom of the ramp and picked them off as best as I could.

So then I got mad afterwards and said I'm not going to do that again - I will stay defensive. Seconds later I was booted and I then I posted on GAF.

See... the problem was that I ACTUALLY FOLLOWED THE ORDER. Being a very tactical person, I should have followed my instinct.

We were winning before hand - but this mission was a blowout.

I do go offensive on occasion - but only when necessary or when I have something to fall back on. I need to make sure the base is in range - and I'd need to have someone else doing some scouting. If my teammates die, I wait for them to come back as their little marines and get them to go off and pre-scout. I don't want to get stuck with the odds against me. I could come back heavily damaged - or could be destroyed.

You have to play smart to win.

Ashodin

Schafer said:
Being a good commander also entails know what role your people play and employing them properly, putting a slow defensive mech into a frontline firefight is flat out stupid, being a commander doesn't give you the right to be retarded. Learn tactics, then command.
You're not seeing what we were trying to do.

We weren't putting him at "frontline". Frontline was our base, they were on top of us. We needed him round a corner to help us out, and he didn't come. He stayed and waited.

DopeyFish

Maxrpg said:
You're not seeing what we were trying to do.

We weren't putting him at "frontline". Frontline was our base, they were on top of us. We needed him round a corner to help us out, and he didn't come. He stayed and waited.

Hello? I did come and I got my ass kicked. Maybe you should have been paying attention to your NA a little more, commander.

coldvein

Banned
Maxrpg said:

that is some funny shit right there

Kobold

This is not uselful to anyone. I hope you do have a great time on another team though Dopey, it's one fun game and you deserve to enjoy it anyways! :)

Maxrpg said:

Personally, IMHO, it didn't even have to be a tactical reason. He just wasn't jibing with our group. (This is the polite way to describe the situation.) I don't think it's a question of elitism to not want a guy (verbally) sniping at

a) The Commander
b) His Fellow Squadmates
c) The Game Itself

following you around or, worse, responsible for your survival.

Also, he had a scout cockpit on his supposed defender.

But most importantly, he was really just not working out. Mirik and I had our tiff a while ago, and I was being out of line, but it was a pretty isolated incident, and Mirik was basically the only guy complaining. We all went to Twilight in some capacity today to tell him about Dopey. I disagree with Mirik or Twilight in their capacities as commander occasionally, and I talk to them and they either explain to me why I'm wrong, or I shed some light on the situation they might have missed. Dopey was not doing this. He didn't want to get killed and refused to budge (and was quite vocal about this refusal). I've walked into plenty of firefights knowing I was going to die, if I knew that I could get a few shots off, take out some of their weapons AND CONTRIBUTE TO THE GROUP. if you're just sitting in a valley when your teammates are getting shot up, with your zillion cannons fully loaded, waiting in fear of death, you're useless.

If you're going to put a scout cockpit under like a zillion cannons, you should be expecting to die, and just hope that you can work the enemy down somewhat before you get blown up which you are destined to do walking around in that thing.

Also? If you're going to walk around in your own paint job, at least be AWARE of what the squad colors are so you don't have to ask every single person who walks past whether or not they are on your team. Like Twilight said, "Attention To Detail".

Basically, yeah, none of you were there, in a room with the guy. Feel free to Backseat Commander, but I think our standing as a squad speaks for itself. I support Max/Twilight's decision, and think it was 100% the right thing to do.

DopeyFish

Kobold said:
This is not uselful to anyone. I hope you do have a great time on another team though Dopey, it's one fun game and you deserve to enjoy it anyways! :)

well i can't enjoy it- thanks to the team bouncing to other nations and i had to switch to get to get on the 13th. Now i have to wait 1.5 weeks to get on the brigade. lame.

Top Bottom