• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official GAF Chromehounds Squad Thread

frogg609

chespace said:
I think in the past couple days, connection issues have gotten really bad and have become a real issue. The thing is, it's happening to people who used to have good connections and still have open NAT ports, etc.

Hopefully they'll address it in the server update tonight at 2am.

I've been having this problem for the last couple days, to the point where I couldn't even connect (wound up playing other games in frustration).

I see I was kicked from NeoGAF Brigade. Are all 20 spots filled again? If so, could someone let me know when there's an open one again, because I really want to play with everyone.

Trasher

These connection problems are horrible. We never were able to get a game going against other players, and we proabably tried for about an hour or so. This maintenance better fix this crap.

Brannon

Sal Kar has some NICE multi-legs (120 speed!!). But I think they drink fuel like a Hummer. Now I have to consider using an extra fuel tank because NOT using these legs is not an option. But then there's the radiator... and the missile counter... and nightvision... and...

Now I'm starting to abuse the Assembly Data for the first time. I swear, it's like a whole new door opened up.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
very strange. managed to solve my connection problems by bypassing my router... which was working fine for almost 2 weeks of CH up until last night.

hmmm... anyway, finally created a hound with a cockpit between the legs and armor all over tonight. need to play with weapons loadout some more but it could go either way right now -- soldier or sniper.

ballhog

I just picked this up yesterday, finnaly connected to the server about ten minutes ago. So now I choose my affiliation. Will I be able to change it if I find out my friends are with another country? I can't get in touch with anyone right now and I don't want to get stuck on the wrong side.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
ballhog said:
I just picked this up yesterday, finnaly connected to the server about ten minutes ago. So now I choose my affiliation. Will I be able to change it if I find out my friends are with another country? I can't get in touch with anyone right now and I don't want to get stuck on the wrong side.

don't choose it till you know for sure which side you have to be on

you can change after your initial choice, but then you can't change till 2 weeks afterwards - so you better make the right choice to save yourself the grief ;)

DJ Brannon said:
Sal Kar has some NICE multi-legs (120 speed!!). But I think they drink fuel like a Hummer. Now I have to consider using an extra fuel tank because NOT using these legs is not an option. But then there's the radiator... and the missile counter... and nightvision... and...

Now I'm starting to abuse the Assembly Data for the first time. I swear, it's like a whole new door opened up.

Wait a sec...did we switch to Sal Kar last night?

Argh, we've gotta come up with some rules for the lottery entries. It's only 10 am and all 16 slots are already taken. Everyday it's the same few people hogging all of the slots ruining it for the other 17 players.

Would someone here consider going through the trouble of making a little video of some multiplayer action? Im interested in the game, but Id like to see something other than the demo which supposedly gives the wrong impression.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I duno if it would work. It's more about the "feeling" rather than the action IMO. It's more about the strategy that is crunched in your mind rather than the result of that. It's more about riding your Hound towards an unknown enemy fearing its Hound configuration is the nemesis of yours. It's more about having a varied RT squad acting in concert in different places of the (huge) map. Basically, playing [online] = believing.

Fallout-NL said:
Would someone here consider going through the trouble of making a little video of some multiplayer action? Im interested in the game, but Id like to see something other than the demo which supposedly gives the wrong impression.

It's the same gameplay as the demo, though, isn't it?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
BenjaminBirdie said:
It's the same gameplay as the demo, though, isn't it?

In the demo you're just fighting tanks and ACV drones, you never get to fight another actual hound. The difference between combatting drones and real hound on hound combat is pretty extreme.

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
Schafer said:
In the demo you're just fighting tanks and ACV drones, you never get to fight another actual hound. The difference between combatting drones and real hound on hound combat is pretty extreme.
I haven't heard about anyone having a good experience with the demo.

Proves how important (and hard) it is to put some time and attention in a demo, though.

Ashodin

Schafer said:
Whoa. That means the demo is a BIG difference to the actual game. Fighting Hounds is the whole basis of the game, and they left that out?? No wonder the demo didn't shock people with its awesomeness.

Sinatar

Maxrpg said:
Whoa. That means the demo is a BIG difference to the actual game. Fighting Hounds is the whole basis of the game, and they left that out?? No wonder the demo didn't shock people with its awesomeness.

Yea the demo just has 2 single player missions, I think it's the 3rd soldier mission and the second sniper one.

chespace

Schafer said:
Yea the demo just has 2 single player missions, I think it's the 3rd soldier mission and the second sniper one.

Well no wonder the demo sucks. :(

There are better single player missions, if I recall... like several of the defender ones were quite decent.

Better yet, they should have just put you on a map and done a 1v1 type battle with a hound.

And yes, someone captured it perfectly when they said that CH is all about heading off into every battle with a distinct lack of intelligence -- where the enemy base is, what direction they're coming from, and most importantly, what kind of hounds they've built. You know where you specialize, and you know the abilities of your teammates, but if the enemy has a supremely well-balanced team that can bait, snipe, suppress, and flank, then you know it's gonna be tough, especially if your team is mostly focused (e.g., close combat).

It's also one of the only multiplayer games were I have a genuine fear of venturing out into the fog of war without a wingman.

Again, all these aspects of CH are impossible to convey in an offline fashion.

Ashodin

One of the things that's becoming popular in CH now is "Netmeching" or trends.

People find a layout of a mech online or in-game that's overpowered in some way, they use two of each and a commander modified with the same layout (if it's 3 on 3).

I've been seeing a lot of this lately.

Our squad has come across it all: (name) - description - weakness recommended weakness

Missile Boats - Literally named because that's all they're packing. Homing missiles stacked on top like the leaning tower of Pisa with a crappy cockpit on top, to make it hard to shoot. - Snipers, Machine Guns to the Cockpit

Double-Barrel Cannon Mother****ers (DBCMF's)- Hounds utilizing two double-barreled cannons, either horizontally or vertically. Been seeing way too much of this lately. Usually either the new download part or the Morskoj cannons. - Oh good lord, SNIPERS, splash damage, 4x Machine Gun to the Cockpit

^- you'll know it's these guys if you see hounds that look like --> |o| or -o- through the guncam.

Spikers - Hounds utilizing fast, agile mechs with all PILEs, sometimes machine guns for added long range. These guys can overwhelm you if you don't figure out the choke points fast. Totally suck on a map where you can't go outside into the red area and sneak around. SPLASH DAMAGE Machine Guns, preferably Morskoj

Those are the three trends so far I've seen. The spikers are now starting to use smoke tactics, and it's a bitch, honestly.

Quick story: me, Joates, and Out of Names took out a spiker team with relative ease. We protected the base once the first spiker came, and got him before he did any relative damage, then another spiker came and almost totalled the base, and I was able to shoot his PILEs off, and then their commander was left, and we beat him too. It was sweet. Joates got taken out tho, the second spiker two-shot him in the cockpit.

Sinatar

Something a lot of people don't seem to realize is that if you stick 4 machine guns on your scout, you can drop a base almost as fast as with piles, like maybe a 5 - 10 second difference, and with the guns you don't give up all your ranged potiential. Pile scouts are so hilariously easy to kill as a defender it isn't even funny.

IJoel

Schafer said:
Something a lot of people don't seem to realize is that if you stick 4 machine guns on your scout, you can drop a base almost as fast as with piles, like maybe a 5 - 10 second difference, and with the guns you don't give up all your ranged potiential. Pile scouts are so hilariously easy to kill as a defender it isn't even funny.

I saw this last night while playing with Drohne and [forgot his tag]. They were fast as hell and took the base really quick. :(

Trasher

Been doing some 1v1's today and this one guy I played against comes to my base and attempts to bomb it, but in the process he bombs himself before he can even damage my base. It was pretty hilarious, all I see is this explosion by my base, and at first I was wondering how in the hell he blew my base up so fast. :lol

Trasher

Warm Machine said:
Was there an update today? The servers went down for maintenance right?

There was maintenance, but it didn't say anything about an update. There is another maitenance scheduled for August 8th though.

Karg

Trasher said:
Been doing some 1v1's today and this one guy I played against comes to my base and attempts to bomb it, but in the process he bombs himself before he can even damage my base. It was pretty hilarious, all I see is this explosion by my base, and at first I was wondering how in the hell he blew my base up so fast. :lol

I did that to myself with a bomb scout with some friends against the CPU. I laid out some bombs near one side of the base and kept circling the base to avoid fire. Well my bombs were reloaded so I fired again. First bombs hadn't went off yet and forgot they were out. 2-3 seconds later from circling I went right over my 1st bombs to destroy myself.

Jeff-DSA

Trasher said:
There was maintenance, but it didn't say anything about an update. There is another maitenance scheduled for August 8th though.

They do maintenance weekly, but hopefully we can start seeing some updates soon. I'd like to see things ironed out a bit more. Personally I haven't had to many troubles online, but I know it's been a nightmare for more than just a few.

Karg

Jeff-DSA said:
They do maintenance weekly, but hopefully we can start seeing some updates soon. I'd like to see things ironed out a bit more. Personally I haven't had to many troubles online, but I know it's been a nightmare for more than just a few.

I was having several issues as well but that guide that someone posted earlier (http://tommccann.net/live/) seems to have done the trick for me and my squad. We were having repeated connection issues but after following that guide we ran through 2 full nights of matches with no drops or hiccups.

Maxrpg said:
Spikers - Hounds utilizing fast, agile mechs with all PILEs, sometimes machine guns for added long range. These guys can overwhelm you if you don't figure out the choke points fast. Totally suck on a map where you can't go outside into the red area and sneak around. SPLASH DAMAGE Machine Guns, preferably Morskoj

Those are the three trends so far I've seen. The spikers are now starting to use smoke tactics, and it's a bitch, honestly.

After bread eater was kickin' ass with his spiker the other night I'm trying to build a decent one for myself. Never really thought of adding a smoke mortar though....that's a damn good idea. Smoke mortar + NA jammer + infared scanner + a butt load of piles = total destruction.

Ashodin

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
After bread eater was kickin' ass with his spiker the other night I'm trying to build a decent one for myself. Never really thought of adding a smoke mortar though....that's a damn good idea. Smoke mortar + NA jammer + infared scanner + a butt load of piles = total destruction.

Flaw with your plan: LOAD. How are you going to get all that on there AND the piles, AND the energy to power it all? :lol

chespace

Maxrpg said:
Flaw with your plan: LOAD. How are you going to get all that on there AND the piles, AND the energy to power it all? :lol

Don't you worry your little head about that. It's Brigade business.

chespace

Maxrpg said:
Mm, but discussing Hounds is. You just have to know how to seperate these things.

Actually, I quipped at you because while you say you want to discuss hound building, all you were doing was pointing and laughing at his oh-so-obvious-flaw-in-logic. Very condescending. :)

Two useful links:

1). Build a hound at work and see if you make weight/load: http://www.maven.de/chromehounds/

2). Armor test results for KE damage: http://boards.sega.com/chromehounds/viewtopic.php?t=2830

Ashodin

chespace said:
Actually, I quipped at you because while you say you want to discuss hound building, all you were doing was pointing and laughing at his oh-so-obvious-flaw-in-logic. Very condescending. :)

Two useful links:

1). Build a hound at work and see if you make weight/load: http://www.maven.de/chromehounds/

2). Armor test results for KE damage: http://boards.sega.com/chromehounds/viewtopic.php?t=2830

Oh I didn't mean it as anything serious - I figured he already knew, but those who read the thread and don't play (they sure came out of the woodwork when I let DopeyFish go, sheesh) can have a little laugh from that.

Nice links, though.

I'm wondering though - is any parts list truly complete? I mean, have we seen really ALL the experimental parts? I think Sega and From would release more parts through there and DLC as well.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the relative durability of various shields is perplexing -- the numbers are ambiguous, and it's hard to get a feel of it in combat. it's interesting that additional shots to destroyed legs damage the cockpit...that kind of mitigates the advantages of hidden or heavily armored cockpits.

i love that "cockpit" is autocensored at the official chromehounds forum, incidentally :lol

Sinatar

Again, ditch the spikes for machine guns, you get the same base killing power with FOUR machine guns that you do with SIX spikes. Not only that, my spiker scout ran about 250 speed, my machine gun scout runs 319 and once I get a neumann chip from the lottery it will be closer to 340 speed.

Ashodin

drohne said:
the relative durability of various shields is perplexing -- the numbers are ambiguous, and it's hard to get a feel of it in combat. it's interesting that additional shots to destroyed legs damage the cockpit...that kind of mitigates the advantages of hidden or heavily armored cockpits.

i love that "cockpit" is autocensored at the official chromehounds forum, incidentally :lol
Well I find it interesting - if legs are damaged, usually the cockpit is the next to take damage (since, by the logic, it is the next connected piece ot the legs, USUALLY).

yeah, what is up with that? to stop cussing? lol.

Schafer said:
once I get a neumann chip from the lottery it will be closer to 340 speed.

neumannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

That chip is so awesome.

Maxrpg said:

Well I'm just sitting here at work thinkin' about it so I can't test it out to see how (im)practical it is. I think I could probably slap all that stuff on a scout....the speed would blow....but I could do it.

DON'T CRUSH MY DREAMS

Ashodin

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Well I'm just sitting here at work thinkin' about it so I can't test it out to see how (im)practical it is. I think I could probably slap all that stuff on a scout....the speed would blow....but I could do it.

DON'T CRUSH MY DREAMS
Yeah, the seriousness reply is most likely:

You could fit all that stuff on there, but it'd be pretty slow - well, at least slower than you'd like it to be - which spikers deserve to be fast.

Top Bottom