• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official GAF Chromehounds Squad Thread

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
First thing I'm gonna try tonight is to build a hound that can shoot 16 gatling guns SIMULTANEOUSLY.

I want to know how quickly I can strip someone of their dignity in close quarters combat.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
chespace said:
First thing I'm gonna try tonight is to build a hound that can shoot 16 gatling guns SIMULTANEOUSLY.

I want to know how quickly I can strip someone of their dignity in close quarters combat.

zuh? how the hell can you fire more than 4, let alone 16?

Ashodin

DopeyFish said:
zuh? how the hell can you fire more than 4, let alone 16?
The automatic machine guns - pull RT, press R, pull RT, press R, pull RT, press R, rinse, repeat. (edit: interesting thought - when you got done activating the last four guns, would the first four be ready to fire again? only one way to find out!)

Hmm... that's an interesting prospect. The only downside I see is

a) load
b) speed
c) durability

other than that, it's worth a try.

raYne

chespace said:
Not gonna happen until they release a weapon chip which makes it so (ie never). Matter a fact, since the current max is 4, you can't even fire 4 gatling guns and then swith and fire another set of anything until they're done.

If it was possible you'd have a hell of a time fighting the upturn of all the weapons while they're firing.

Maxrpg said:
The automatic machine guns - pull RT, press R, pull RT, press R, pull RT, press R, rinse, repeat. (edit: interesting thought - when you got done activating the last four guns, would the first four be ready to fire again? only one way to find out!)
4 at a time isn't simultaneously...

and yes, the first set of AM's would be ready to fire again. I have that very setup on a hound that I never use.

chespace

Maxrpg said:

Hmm... that's an interesting prospect. The only downside I see is

a) load
b) speed
c) durability

other than that, it's worth a try.

AFAIK, there's very little reload time after a gatling gun goes through its auto-burst, so yes I would assume you could just work the RB/RT really fast.

Another downside to this configuration would be ammo. These things burn through their magazines really fast and they don't come with a lot of ammo to begin with. It could explain why they're so light.

They weight 182 each... so x16 that would be 2912... definitely doable for even a soldier style mech.

The ultimate test, of course, would be to see if you can actually control your aim with 16 machineguns going off at once -- the recoil could just be too insane for you to keep steady.

Rayne, if you use the Tarakian M07MG Daggers, they fire for a few seconds (38 rounds worth, actually) once you pull the trigger. During that time, you can cycle to the next set and do the same. I haven't tried yet, but I'm going to assume I can press RT and RB a total of 6 times in 3 seconds.

DopeyFish

chespace said:
AFAIK, there's very little reload time after a gatling gun goes through its auto-burst, so yes I would assume you could just work the RB/RT really fast.

Another downside to this configuration would be ammo. These things burn through their magazines really fast and they don't come with a lot of ammo to begin with. It could explain why they're so light.

They weight 182 each... so x16 that would be 2912... definitely doable for even a soldier style mech.

The ultimate test, of course, would be to see if you can actually control your aim with 16 machineguns going off at once -- the recoil could just be too insane for you to keep steady.

Rayne, if you use the Tarakian M07MG Daggers, they fire for a few seconds (38 rounds worth, actually) once you pull the trigger. During that time, you can cycle to the next set and do the same. I haven't tried yet, but I'm going to assume I can press RT and RB a total of 6 times in 3 seconds.

i'm already trying

so far the max i can get is 11 due to the fact you can't attach miniguns to miniguns

and...

you need to use spacers so your "use parts" gets used up pretty quickly

it looks pretty damn scary too :)

Dark Fact

hahaha, yes, actually I made a mech with 8 MGs and some rockets at one point, and when swapping between there seemed to be some downtime, if i remember correctly, but I will go back and try again tonight ;)

Dark Fact => bread eater on XBL ;)

chespace

OMG, so sweet. I picked up new copies of both Mechwarrior 2 and Mechwarrior 4 for PC.

Aside from replaying these games on my laptop, the first thing I'm doing tonight is dumping their soundtracks onto my 360 and using them for Chromehounds.

BEST SOUNDTRACKS EVER. Really great stuff. Perfect for mechanized warfare.

raYne

chespace said:
The weapon chip prevents you from firing more than four at a time. Once you fire off the first set (of 4), it won't let you fire the next salvo 'till it's done.

Are you sure that it let you fire them as soon as you set off the first 4, and that they all fired at the same time? 'Cause that shouldn't happen at all.

Edit:
DopeyFish said:
and i tested and it DOES NOT WORK

it absolutely won't let more than 4 weapons firing at once
Exactly...

Ashodin

raYne said:
The weapon chip prevents you from firing more than four at a time. Once you fire off the first set (of 4), it won't let you fire the next salvo 'till it's done.

Are you sure that it let you fire them as soon as you set off the first 4, and that they all fired at the same time? 'Cause that shouldn't happen at all.

Edit:

Exactly...
On the contrary: I remember seeing a video of shooting missiles, switching to machine guns, and firing them while the missiles were still firing.

DopeyFish

Maxrpg said:
On the contrary: I remember seeing a video of shooting missiles, switching to machine guns, and firing them while the missiles were still firing.

i had it setup like this:

3,3,3,2 for 11 guns

if 3 were firing, only 1 in the next slot would fire when i pressed RB then RT

raYne

Maxrpg said:
...because once the missiles are fired that's it. You don't have to wait for them to finish firing so you can then fire the machine guns, like you do in the gatling gun's case. The gatling guns are a constant stream of fire. The misslies fire once per trigger pull.

Jesus... are you sure you play the game as much as you say? :p

Ashodin

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
:lol

At first I thought it was CG. But then I realized it was real.

It looks so fake! lol

cockpits would be more entrenched than that design, however.

Check out how it walks, by actually sliding! lol. I wonder if there are wheels in the bottom.

raYne said:
...because once the missiles are fired that's it. You don't have to wait for them to finish firing so you can then fire the machine guns, like you do in the gatling gun's case. The gatling guns are a constant stream of fire. The misslies fire once per trigger pull.

Well I'm not on the game to test it myself, but why would you have to wait for firing 4 more machine guns and not missiles? It's odd.

Vark

chespace said:
OMG, so sweet. I picked up new copies of both Mechwarrior 2 and Mechwarrior 4 for PC.

Aside from replaying these games on my laptop, the first thing I'm doing tonight is dumping their soundtracks onto my 360 and using them for Chromehounds.

BEST SOUNDTRACKS EVER. Really great stuff. Perfect for mechanized warfare.

\
thats an awsome idea.. i need to load up my hound with death metal or something

Vark

DopeyFish said:
and i tested and it DOES NOT WORK

it absolutely won't let more than 4 weapons firing at once

mine definitely fires 4, then if i RB over and fire again, i can shoot missles say, while my miniguns finish up.

when i'm destroying a base i'm constantly tapping RB, RT, RB, RT and it just unloads everything i have continusly.

chespace

Trasher said:
....I hate when it doesn't let you connect to the server.

It's all about routers dude. I put my pipe straight into my 360 and now it works like a charm. Strange thing is that it worked with my router for 2 weeks then decided to bork on a whim. Gonna see if I can tweak it tonight using that guide someone posted earlier.

If you really want to play, just plug your 360 straight into the cable modem.

Trasher

Ya, I think I'll give that a try.

Btw Che, are a bunch of you guys playing right now? I'm getting tired of these 1v1's.

DopeyFish

There is 3 squads - one in each country

13th GAFHND SQD is in Sal Kar
NeoGAF Brigade is in Morskoj
NeoGAF Elite is in Tarakia

Ashodin

If anybody from GAF Brigade is on and playing CH, we (me and Mirik) are at the Sal Kar attacking spots, so you can find us in a 2 player game.

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
Stupid spiker keep joining out 2 on 2 games LOL

We beat them 3 times now or something without getting damage, it's sad. You'd think they'd learn that their spikes don't work by now...

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
bunch of good games tonight with chespace and dj brannon...i think we only lost one when i ran off to grab a far-flung combas tower like an idiot, and naturally got gangbanged. :lol seems like brannon and i ALMOST played mirik and someone else from the 13th -- at least they appeared on my xbl "players" tab -- but after a bunch of back-and-forth voice messages, it doesn't seem like we saw each other's hounds. mirik seems like a nice guy. i was playing a soldier with rockets, machine guns, and a frontal shield with a hand emblem; brannon was playing a four-legged sniper/heavy gunner. our squad color is this ugly orangey cloud camo. anyway, we didn't lose a two on two game...so IF WE PLAYED YOU GUYS WE WON :x

Kobold

drohne said:
bunch of good games tonight with chespace and dj brannon...i think we only lost one when i ran off to grab a far-flung combas tower like an idiot, and naturally got gangbanged. :lol seems like brannon and i ALMOST played mirik and someone else from the 13th -- at least they appeared on my xbl "players" tab -- but after a bunch of back-and-forth voice messages, it doesn't seem like we saw each other's hounds. mirik seems like a nice guy. i was playing a soldier with rockets, machine guns, and a frontal shield with a hand emblem; brannon was playing a four-legged sniper/heavy gunner. our squad color is this ugly orangey cloud camo. anyway, we didn't lose a two on two game...so IF WE PLAYED YOU GUYS WE WON :x
That's me dude, I was the voice message dude! :lol

Yea it looks like you entered and left out game and then we played some other dudes. We been winning all our 2 on 2's as well, as you can see above, all spikers and missle boats, LAME!!! And the tactics don't work either...

Ashodin

drohne said:

yeah yeah we almost played you guys. Twilight Lycian is my gamertag.

And if we woulda played you, we woulda won. :x We were undefeated.

It's lame tho I want more GAF squad run-ins! We should be looking for each other in the first place, lolz.

I just remembered - if you're sal kar, and we're playing somewhere, we can invite you to OUR game.

Kobold

Schafer said:
Again, ditch the spikes for machine guns, you get the same base killing power with FOUR machine guns that you do with SIX spikes. Not only that, my spiker scout ran about 250 speed, my machine gun scout runs 319 and once I get a neumann chip from the lottery it will be closer to 340 speed.
I have the fastest hoover that I know of (125 speed hover HL-Ghazal) , and the lightest cockpit (Naml) and generator (RFZ GE-C1) on there, but it drives nowhere near 340.

With four Morskoj machineguns (1400 ammo), my dude goes 328 now, with neuman chip. So I would love to know how you think you can get a similar set-up to go as fast as340! :)

As I see it now, this is the fastest set-up possible with this configuration.

Also I'm not sure about it being faster to destroy a base then a pike hound, it may be but it's close. It takes a full 550 (precisely) rounds from each of the machineguns to take down a base. That takes just around a minute or so of the four guns simultaneous fire.

Of course I would never dream of using this against humans. Any reasonable team will destroy this flimsy Hound from a distance before it could come close to firing. But for one on one against the computer, to get the hoover and base kill achievements, it's pretty good.

Karg

Kobold said:
Tarakians only! :)

Is this one of those technology level things where Tarakia is high enough in that area that this part is public? If so I'd need to get my wife to turn on the 360 and grab this part for me before something changes. Must.....have.....uber.....fast.....scout....

Kobold said:
I have the fastest hoover (125 speed hover HL-Ghazal) , and the lightest cockpit (Naml) and generator (RFZ GE-C1) on there, but it drives nowhere near 340.

With four Morskoj machineguns (1400 ammo), my dude goes 328 now, with neuman chip. So I would love to know how you think you can get a similar set-up to go as fast as340! :)

As I see it now, this is the fastest set-up possible with this configuration.

Also I'm not sure about it being faster to destroy a base then a pike hound, it may be but it's close. It takes a full 550 (precisely) rounds from each of the machineguns to take down a base. That takes just around a minute or so.

Of course I would never dream of using this against humans. Any reasonable team will destroy this flimsy Hound from a distance before it could come close to firing. But for one on one for the computer, to get the hoover and base kill achievements, it's pretty good.

Yeah, I was fooling around with some configurations last night and I couldn't get anywhere close to reaching a speed of 340 so I'd be kinda curious on how it's done too. Though I think those Morskoj machine guns you were using are a little heavier than the Sal Kar ones. Sal Kar has some guns that weigh in around 235 and do 297 in damage as opposed to the lightest Morskoj ones that are about 20 pounds heavier and do 20 points less damage.

Kobold

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Yeah, I was fooling around with some configurations last night and I couldn't get anywhere close to reaching a speed of 340 so I'd be kinda curious on how it's done too. Though I think those Morskoj machine guns you were using are a little heavier than the Sal Kar ones. Sal Kar has some guns that weigh in around 235 and do 297 in damage as opposed to the lightest Morskoj ones that are about 20 pounds heavier and do 20 points less damage.

We're talking the most efficient basekiller though, the one that can take down a base the fastest, while remaining top speed. With that amount of damage for the lesser guns, you would require twice the amount of time, if not far more when you factor in the super-fast firing rate and damage of the (heavy) Morskoj machineguns.

I tried the Rafzakael guns first, they will make you go 4 'speed' faster, for around 332 total, but the reload is slower. thus takes longer to destroy the base. The Morskoj ones are simply superior to any other machineguns, therefore arguably more efficient for the purpose at hand. But yes, with different machineguns, you could get it up to 340 with no trouble I would think. But it wouldn't be capable of bringing a base down in timely fashion, nor pack a punch against a possible enemy.

I use four these Morkoj machineguns on my commander for use with the squads, and I kick ass with those and get my share of the kills and assists that way, very combat effective! Grinds pikers and missile boats to bits in no time, and has good accuracy and range, plus excelent damage. 10 seconds of concentrated fire on a medium cockpit will take it down! 5 for a light cockpit! Of course that's in ideal situation of a piker right in front of you and coming at you, but still very effective when factoring in relative situations. It's a constant stream of solid damage, that freaks people the hell out!

Karg said:
Is this one of those technology level things where Tarakia is high enough in that area that this part is public? If so I'd need to get my wife to turn on the 360 and grab this part for me before something changes. Must.....have.....uber.....fast.....scout....

Yea, most first generation experimental parts are now freely available in the shop for us. A new batch of experimental parts was announced in the messages, to be available soon for the lottery. I would think the current gen (second) experimental parts will be in the shops by then too. :)

Karg

Thank you Kobold, thats good to know. My Scout will be very happy.....

KAOS said:

Is it me or does the background music make you think about Mike Myers as Dieter on SNL?

dieter7.JPG

chespace

SpokkX said:
is that using some kind of hoover-function or just using speed off cliffs?

You can get hover rotors. They're primarly made to neutralize damage from falling off cliffs and high places (which can really fcuk up your legs).

Shabaz

Neo Member
I rented this game and finished about 80% of the single player. I just tried online for the first time and I have a question. Isn't there one big presistant fight you can join? Or is it just 3 on 3 etc?

Trasher

Shabaz said:
I rented this game and finished about 80% of the single player. I just tried online for the first time and I have a question. Isn't there one big presistant fight you can join? Or is it just 3 on 3 etc?
There is a big war that is going on, and you choose which nation to ally with. There are three nations that are battling in numerous locations. You get to decide which location to battle at, and you can play with up to 5 other people which would make for 6v6. Each battle you play in earns points to win the area for your nation. This process then goes on until one nation has taken control. Then you get to do it all over again.

Top Bottom