• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official GAF Chromehounds Squad Thread

Trasher

Chichikov said:
I'm not next to my 360, but IIRC, the sabers have very low ammo (I want to say 8 shots) and pretty long reload time.
But yeah, direct hit from those in your cockpit will mess you up pretty bad.
Yup, 8 shots, and that's with extra ammo too. Normally they only have 3 shots.

phinious

Just wondering if it would still be worth it to pick this game up. I havent played this one yet, but I enjoyed MechAssualt and MechAssualt 2 alot when I played with my buddies.

I know that alot of people on live migrate from game to new game fairly frequently( SEE BELOW FOR DETAILS).

hyp

hey NeoGAF Brigade, feel free to kick me out if you guys need an extra slot. i'm probably going to be MIA for a long time when Dead Rising comes out tomorrow.

it's been fun, y'all.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
hyp said:
hey NeoGAF Brigade, feel free to kick me out if you guys need an extra slot. i'm probably going to be MIA for a long time when Dead Rising comes out tomorrow.

it's been fun, y'all.

Already did this last night. :D

Have fun with DR!

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i don't think there's a "right" speed for a soldier -- my soldier with rockets and machine guns goes 182, and i think that speed serves me well, but some of the slow reverse-leg guys with cannons are pretty scary. it's all a matter of trade-offs. there are a lot of different builds that can be effective. pay attention to rotation speed as well as movement speed, though.

Trasher

Rahxephon91 said:
Whats a good speed for a solider mech? What should I shoot for?
I found that you can get a soldier with a good amount of weaponry to be between 140-150. It's pretty much whatever you are comfortable with though.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Trasher said:
-_- Any openings Maxrpg? I'm sick of looking fruity.

LOL. It is hopefully only going to last a few more minutes. That shit is just plain FUGLY. Che, pink has to go. In the ONE battle we played tonight, pink from a distance just looks like red.

I finally got some online time with Chromehound and absolutely loved it. It's good to see a team online game that takes good communication skills to play well. I've had the game almost since it came out but was bent on playing through all of the single player before I went online. Thankfully Che convinced me to just jump in and I'm glad I did. Thanks Che, DJ Brannon and drohne for putting up with me being a n00b. Hopefully it won't take me too long to get used to all of it. I'll be on again tomorrow.

Nikashi

Banned
I just started a squad, just got a scout mech, making a soldier in a bit. Can't believe this name wasn't taken.

"Hells Satans"

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
Nikashi said:
I just started a squad, just got a scout mech, making a soldier in a bit. Can't believe this name wasn't taken.

"Hells Satans"
I cant believe you even tried that name. :lol

Anyways, I can't stay up tonight to play, but maybe tomorrow. So if you all get on a little early I can still play some grr

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
jesus. horrorday on chromehounds. i meant to log off at 1, but i look at the clock and it's FOUR. had some fun squad matches, but mostly i played neroimus war solo. first i had a huge losing streak and got bumped down to platypus sergeant. then i had an even bigger winning streak and got bumped back up to master sergeant, and halfway up to whatever's after master sergeant. i was about to log off happy, but i decided to play one more game...and i lost...and i wasn't going to log off on a loss! so then i had another big losing streak and got demoted again. i finally hit another winning streak and regained my rank, or i'd probably still be playing. hours and hours of chromehounds and i came out pretty much even. this must be what a gambling addiction is like.

i fought the weirdest guy at that st yves bay area -- he had four machine guns and an na maker on a hover base. he'd just grab a ton of combas points and stay far out to sea in the general area of my base. if i tried to do anything he'd start shooting my base. the first time we played i took him with a few long rocket shots. then i played him again -- thinking he was easy meat -- but he managed to stay away for almost the full 15 minutes. i got frustrated and went for his base, but he got mine first. what a clever douche -- his strategy's probably foolproof against certain mech builds.

bipedal cannon guys are kicking my ass, more often than not. they're not too easy to hit with rockets, even their missed shots will throw my aim off, and they hit ****ing hard. seems like a strong build. seems like the best thing to do is to wait for them to shoot and then hit them when they're stunned, but there's not much room for error.

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
drohne said:
jesus. horrorday on chromehounds. i meant to log off at 1, but i look at the clock and it's FOUR. had some fun squad matches, but mostly i played neroimus war solo. first i had a huge losing streak and got bumped down to platypus sergeant. then i had an even bigger winning streak and got bumped back up to master sergeant, and halfway up to whatever's after master sergeant. i was about to log off happy, but i decided to play one more game...and i lost...and i wasn't going to log off on a loss! so then i had another big losing streak and got demoted again. i finally hit another winning streak and regained my rank, or i'd probably still be playing. hours and hours of chromehounds and i came out pretty much even. this must be what a gambling addiction is like.

i fought the weirdest guy at that st yves bay area -- he had four machine guns and an na maker on a hover base. he'd just grab a ton of combas points and stay far out to sea in the general area of my base. if i tried to do anything he'd start shooting my base. the first time we played i took him with a few long rocket shots. then i played him again -- thinking he was easy meat -- but he managed to stay away for almost the full 15 minutes. i got frustrated and went for his base, but he got mine first. what a clever douche -- his strategy's probably foolproof against certain mech builds.

bipedal cannon guys are kicking my ass, more often than not. they're not too easy to hit with rockets, even their missed shots will throw my aim off, and they hit ****ing hard. seems like a strong build. seems like the best thing to do is to wait for them to shoot and then hit them when they're stunned, but there's not much room for error.
Go fast sniper on their asses! Pack on a few close range weapons to be certain, two sniper cannons of great power, hide and kill the basekiller or cannon guy before he sees you- or gets a decent shot off. Keep moving if the battle takes longer, to take hum in the back and by surprise all the time. :)

Be sure to pick out the right maps though... Also if the map is close combat, take rockets or cannons and just take the double barreled out fast!

I couldn't find the brigade last night. It would never show up in the search list, and even typing it in manually came up blank (I tried every combination of upper/lower casing too). This was between like 7 and 10:30 EST or so.

DenogginizerOS

Who will be on tonight from the NeoGAF Brigade that will be playing Chromehounds and NOT Dead Rising? raises hand

Plus, I have modified my pepto mech so that it has white polka dots. It reminds me of the polka dotted puppy dog that I received from the Victoria's Secret clerk when I bought underwear
for my wife.
Plus, the "Hello Kitty" will soon have a bullet hole in the forehead. I will fall within the party line with this pink atrocity, but I won't like it. :lol

DenogginizerOS said:
Who will be on tonight from the NeoGAF Brigade that will be playing Chromehounds and NOT Dead Rising? raises hand

Plus, I have modified my pepto mech so that it has white polka dots. It reminds me of the polka dotted puppy dog that I received from the Victoria's Secret clerk when I bought underwear
for my wife.
Plus, the "Hello Kitty" will soon have a bullet hole in the forehead. I will fall within the party line with this pink atrocity, but I won't like it. :lol

I should be on early in the night, before I head out for my run. I need to test out some new mech configs and earn some cash. I'm with you Denog, that pink color is atrocioius. Whose bright idea was it to make this change?

Vark said:
Bah, I need to get back on this. I was in Austin all weekend and haven't been able to log in.

Vark? You came to Austin and didn't bother to call? I mean, I'm almost single handily dragging the Oblivion thread to 10k posts!! ;)

chespace

I don't mind the pink and hello kitty that much -- we can try it a while longer before we ditch it I guess. Trasher is out then. No more Stephen Hawking voice action.

m0dus, you seem quite talented with the decals, why don't you make something not fruity for us. :)

And yeah, I won't be playing Dead Rising so no worries there. My copy is on its way so I'll prob play it next week. Or not play it at all no thanks to Chromehounds. :(

drohne, you are a mad man. I kind of love playing solo matches in the war. It has its own flavor of tension... you have no idea who you're playing or what you're going up against with each match -- and depending on what the other guy is packing, you really gotta change up your strategy on the fly. I think Chromehounds is the only game that's created this type of real-time fog of war and it's brilliant.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I think Chromehounds is the only game that's created this type of real-time fog of war and it's brilliant.

i knew there was something i forgot from the gafcast chromehounds hype fest! YEah, the battles in fog/sand sstorms are just awesome.

Vark

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Vark? You came to Austin and didn't bother to call? I mean, I'm almost single handily dragging the Oblivion thread to 10k posts!! ;)

Ha, sorry, had no idea you lived there :p

If you guys do end up ditching the pink and hello kitty I'll still be staying with it personally. It might be fruity but it's still better than the gay crap we've had before it. :p

I can't believe that some are really upset about the color change. Pink + the Hello Kitty logo is awesome, imo. Plus no one else is running around with these colors. Every squad we run into is either blue, red, or green so at least we're standing out a little from the crowd. The only problem I noticed was that the squad color was switched to a darker, slightly purple-ish pink which can be misconstrued as red from a distance. I still have the original light pink on my mech and I think it works much better.

And everyone on the 13th get ready for Trasher and his incredible headset. Soon you too will know what it sounds like when Stephen Hawking talks into a blender while sitting on a washing machine.

j/k Trasher....
or am I?! ;)

chespace said:
drohne, you are a mad man. I kind of love playing solo matches in the war. It has its own flavor of tension... you have no idea who you're playing or what you're going up against with each match -- and depending on what the other guy is packing, you really gotta change up your strategy on the fly. I think Chromehounds is the only game that's created this type of real-time fog of war and it's brilliant.

Been playing some one vs one in the war as well, partly because of finding time to match up with you guys, and partly because I'm trying out new mech configs. (Trial Sortie isn't all that useful at times) You're right Che, there is some interested tension in these matches, as you're never really sure where the other guy is at. Should I hunt his base or defend mine? Very cool stuff. White knuckle matches for sure.

Speaking of Trial Sortie, does anyone else wish you had some more options for it. Like choosing between two or three maps, selecting the type of mechs you're going up against, or even the ability to abort half-way through the sortie. Sometimes I'll head out forgetting to set up the new weapons I've added, or I'll find that I like/dislike the config and want to tweak without having to eliminate the other drones, even if they are a cakewalk.

Treo360

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Been playing some one vs one in the war as well, partly because of finding time to match up with you guys, and partly because I'm trying out new mech configs. (Trial Sortie isn't all that useful at times) You're right Che, there is some interested tension in these matches, as you're never really sure where the other guy is at. Should I hunt his base or defend mine? Very cool stuff. White knuckle matches for sure.

Speaking of Trial Sortie, does anyone else wish you had some more options for it. Like choosing between two or three maps, selecting the type of mechs you're going up against, or even the ability to abort half-way through the sortie. Sometimes I'll head out forgetting to set up the new weapons I've added, or I'll find that I like/dislike the config and want to tweak without having to eliminate the other drones, even if they are a cakewalk.

You can abort halfway in trail sortie. Just hit the back button and wait for the 3 second countdown.

chespace

Kung Fu Jedi said:

I do wish the trial sortie had more options but you can cancel halfway thru by holding down select.

Karg

Or even a Trial Sortie with a squad mate on that same map and size. Just a quick head to head fight against each other.

Karg said:
Or even a Trial Sortie with a squad mate on that same map and size. Just a quick head to head fight against each other.

Yeah, that would be cool too. Something that you could customize a bit to put more of a challenge on your mech design. The drones on the Trial Sortie are all so easy to take down, it doesn't often reflect how well your mech will do on the battlefield.

Kingpen

Damn.... with all the hype you guys are giving this game, I'm finding it hard to resist my curiosity about it....

How bad is the single player game? Is this basically a 'have fun over multiplayer live game only' ? I want to get the game and add it to my collection, but only if I know it will still be something that will be fun to play solo in a few years once the online community dies down.

I have never played a mech game before, so what do you recommend for a newbie to this genre..

The biggest part of the draw of this for me is the beautiful graphics in the photos you are posting... I can only imagine it on my big ass speakers at home....

I had never played an RTS before either before LOTR:BFME and I absolutely love it.

DenogginizerOS

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Soon you too will know what it sounds like when Stephen Hawking talks into a blender while sitting on a washing machine.

j/k Trasher....
or am I?! ;)

Just to add to the story, Trasher sent me an AIM last night saying he has no desire to leave the group. He was just venting about the color. His internet will improve significantly when he gets back in school.

As far as pink goes, like 'Fudge said and I said earlier, the new pink looks like red to me when I am firing shells from 500-700+ yards away. That makes me hesitiate if the enemy is also red. This issue is really a game design issue and would easily be solved if your teammates had a digital color outline around them that would make them stand out. This will likely never be fixed until CH 2. However, I do think we can find a pattern/color scheme that is unique (yellow jacket or coral snake pattern) and come up with creative decaling that should help matters. The problem is that thinner mechs have much less surface area to decal and they do not stand out as much when off in the distance so we may also have to continue improving our communication and coordination.

Kingpen said:
Damn.... with all the hype you guys are giving this game, I'm finding it hard to resist my curiosity about it....

How bad is the single player game? Is this basically a 'have fun over multiplayer live game only' ? I want to get the game and add it to my collection, but only if I know it will still be something that will be fun to play solo in a few years once the online community dies down.

I have never played a mech game before, so what do you recommend for a newbie to this genre..

The biggest part of the draw of this for me is the beautiful graphics in the photos you are posting... I can only imagine it on my big ass speakers at home....

I had never played an RTS before either before LOTR:BFME and I absolutely love it.

There is no real single player game. Single player is just training for online.. which makes it easy to play this game even if you haven't played a mech game before. Training will teach you enough.

Kingpen said:

Single player is nothing special, and the maps are very stark. Quite different from the online experience. I'd say it fun, but all the low scored reviews are indicative of the SP, where as MP, with a good team, is amazing. One of the best Live experiences I've had.

DenogginizerOS

For those who are not working who might want to tinker with colors found in these creatures:

coral.jpg

Micruoides_euryxanthus.jpg

YELLOWJACKET%20thumb.jpg

Kingpen

Another question... in breezing the Chromehounds review at Teamxbox, I ran across this tidbit and would like confirmation if it is true

"You can build a twenty person squad for Neroimus War, but only six HOUND’s can be deployed at a given time. Battles can take place against human targets or A.I. enemies, which means that you can always jump on line and fight the good fight, even if the server is empty. "

So basically you can fight 1P vs. bots in the online mode?

If this is true, then I'll be buying the game today....

DenogginizerOS

Kingpen said:
Another question... in breezing the Chromehounds review at Teamxbox, I ran across this tidbit and would like confirmation if it is true

"You can build a twenty person squad for Neroimus War, but only six HOUND’s can be deployed at a given time. Battles can take place against human targets or A.I. enemies, which means that you can always jump on line and fight the good fight, even if the server is empty. "

This is true. See Drohne's post above.

Kingpen

Cool...

I always plan to have a xbox live subscription, so I guess I'll be picking up my first mech game.... I'm prepared for a slower type of game, but am looking forward to the rewards of the combat...

I had tried VOOT before on the DC, but couldn't get into it as much because it was too fruity of a visual flair... This seems more up my alley...

I won't pester you guys to join any squads until I can feel confident that I can hang with you... But maybe later.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
after the gafcast and reading a little bit of this topic, my curiosity is reaching MEGATON levels. Might look into finding a copy by weeks end.

Personally, I think a lot of the comments that the game is "slow" are much ado about nothing. Seriously. Yes, the different mechs move at a methodical pace, but once combat commences, I defy anyone to tell me this is a "slow" game. Especially when your cockpit is on fire, a bank of weapons is out, and one more hit will destroy you, or your enemy.

DenogginizerOS

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Personally, I think a lot of the comments that the game is "slow" are much ado about nothing. Seriously. Yes, the different mechs move at a methodical pace, but once combat commences, I defy anyone to tell me this is a "slow" game. Especially when your cockpit is on fire, a bank of weapons is out, and one more hit will destroy you, or your enemy.

When you say things like that, it makes work more difficult. Stop reminding me how much I love this game.:lol

Chichikov

Kingpen said:

Well this is partially true, you can fight 1 player matches vs. a bot.
Number of enemy hounds is equal to the number of people you bring into battle.
Sure, there are ACVs (think gimp hounds) and tanks, but those cannon fodders are neither challenging nor interesting to fight.
And generally, I find vs. CPU battle to be good to learn the map, maybe try a new build and generally getting a feel for the game (the multiplayer is a different ballgame then the single player, you hardly fight hounds in the campaigns).
But once you get comfortable with the game, non human enemies should be a complete pushover.

Just start a one on one free battle match with a squad mate, best way to test a new build.

Trasher

chespace said:
Trasher is out then. No more Stephen Hawking voice action.
I was only kidding! I can't let you guys go un-annoyed. Anyways, I should be on later tonight around 11ish Eastern time, and I am on right now if anyone else can hop on.

Trasher

Chichikov said:
All you need to do is set it to however many bots you want (up to 6 obviously) and just get the game off before any players join.

DenogginizerOS

Chichikov said:
Number of enemy hounds is equal to the number of people you bring into battle.
Sure, there are ACVs (think gimp hounds) and tanks, but those cannon fodders are neither challenging nor interesting to fight.
And generally, I find vs. CPU battle to be good to learn the map, maybe try a new build and generally getting a feel for the game (the multiplayer is a different ballgame then the single player, you hardly fight hounds in the campaigns).
But once you get comfortable with the game, non human enemies should be a complete pushover.

Just start a one on one free battle match with a squad mate, best way to test a new build.

Nevermind. Trash beat me to it.

SAVE TRASHER!

Kingpen

so it would be me and 5 other A.I bots on my team vs. 6 other bots if I use the method that thrasher described?

or me in a 1 on 6 bots game?

Picked this game up last night cause GAf just made it sound so good.. (I'm not usually a Mech gamer) but this is the most fun I've had on live in a really long time. Played a co-op game last night just me and my buddy agains a few bots. Damn good stuff.

Top Bottom