• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official GAF Chromehounds Squad Thread

Chichikov

tahrikmili said:
I'm really unsure of how to build my own mech right now and would like some advice.. Currently I'm using reverse biped legs with an armored experimental cockpit and generator, 4 assaut rifles and 4 machine guns..

However, more and more I find that close quarters fighting is not for me. First I tried shotguns and that didn't work, now machineguns and I'm not satisfied. I want to go for a sniper/soldier and possibly a little bit of a defender crossbreed kind of mech. What should I do? If I dump the 4 machine guns and go for 2 or3 neat sniper cannons woul I have enough long and medium range firepower with my cannons and assault rifles while managing to keep my distance from the enemy? Would the assault rifles be enough if they close in? If not, what could I add? Rockets?
First of all, on your current build you probably doesn't need reverse legs, these guns have hardly any recoil.
Secondly, rockets are by and large, close range weapons, and I find assault rifles to be pretty poor close range weapons.
Cannon are versatile and if you’re good can be very effective in close range, if you want a backup weapon to stop an enemy from getting close, try the rocket clusters (the ones that fire multiple rockets at a time), it may not be the most effective weapon against a circle strafing hound, but if someone is trying to close the distance and run straight at you, they can make his day a very bad one.

Chichikov

tahrikmili said:
I too have 4 of the Morsoj heavy machine guns on my mech in a tandem but I get owned by rockets pretty fast - they don't seem to do much against armor at all. Assault rifles are much more accurate at medium range and do a good deal of damage due to better armor penetration. Right now where I get owned is long range cannon/howitzer fire, against which I have nothing. That's why I was wondering using cannons and rifles, with rockets for when someone annoying gets in close.. What say you? :)
I’m going to guess you're talking about homing missiles.
Yeah, they will own you at close range, and if you're a machinegun hound, you're probably ill equipped to handle them.
And 4 good machineguns can make a short work of an enemy if you manage to keep hitting the cockpit.

DenogginizerOS said:
You should try out "Boomer" sometime if you want to experience slow. I need to put a "gramps" picture on my mech because I am SLOWWW.
But deadly.

Yeah, I've got a mech like that too. I'm always chasing the rest of the group down, I'm so slow. But when I get where I need to be. Boom! :D

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
chespace said:
Therein lies the beauty in the 1v1 or 2v2 matches.

You can be well-rounded at the expense of not being able to specialize in one virtue (speed, long range, etc)... but if you specialize, you run the risk of getting caught in close quarters with an all sniper type hound or being too slow to win by a combas capture, etc.

I love how the game forces you to adapt and change your strategy on the fly every time you play, depending on who you're facing. It's brilliant, frightening and frustrating at the same time that your opponent is just a faceless enemy in another hound across the map. You can't talk to him, he can't talk to you. There is only death and dismemberment!! ADoOOoOosh.

Right now, I'm sacrificing speed and large amounts of ammo for good protection, good firepower, and long/short range capability. I have to admit though, I really do miss being fast.
Slow and steady wins the race! :D

raYne

Chichikov said:
not on 1v1.
and not too often on 2v2.
The last 1 on 1 battle I had, me (hybrid sniper/soldier) him (heavy/defender) I spotted him early with my sniper weapons and took the high ground. Waited till he got half way across the map and blew his legs apart.

Spent the rest of the match ripping the weapons from his mech and grabbing combasses. Then with a couple minutes left I decide to drive around him in circles 'till time ran out. Good times.

I just changed the armor panel to the experimental Tarakian armor that I just won in last night's lottery. It makes the GAFHOUND text a little harder to read and the emblem slightly smaller, but the armor is longer than my old one and covers more of my cockpit, and I think the rectangular pattern looks cooler.

Chichikov

raYne said:
The last 1 on 1 battle I had, me (hybrid sniper/soldier) him (heavy/defender) I spotted him early with my sniper weapons and took the high ground. Waited till he got half way across the map and blew his legs apart.

Spent the rest of the match ripping the weapons from his mech and grabbing combasses. Then with a couple minutes left I decide to drive around him in circles 'till time ran out. Good times.
Well, hvg/def isn’t exactly lighting fast, right? And when you have 2 slow hounds, someone got win, right? :D
Of course, this is all from limited personal experience, but I’ve found out that on 1v1 matches , equality skilled player with a fast mech (and preferable an NA) has an advantage over the slow one.
But many times I’ve played people who made tactics that I thought ineffective work.

raYne

Chichikov said:
Well, hvg/def isn’t exactly lighting fast, right? And when you have 2 slow hounds, someone got win, right? :D
Of course, this is all from limited personal experience, but I’ve found out that on 1v1 matches , equality skilled player with a fast mech (and preferable an NA) has an advantage over the slow one.
But many times I’ve played people who made tactics that I thought ineffective work.
Actually, I was agreeing with your other post. His hound was far more armed/armored but much slower as a result. This is why I got had my choice of positioning at the start of the match leading to much punishment.

So if you're already slow AND your legs are blown to hell, it's game over if the other guy has either a faster hound or positioning. All the armor in the world isn't gonna help you then.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
raYne said:
Actually, I was agreeing with your other post. His hound was far more armed/armored but much slower as a result. This is why I got had my choice of positioning at the start of the match leading to much punishment.

So if you're already slow AND your legs are blow to hell, it's game over if the other guy has either a faster hound or positioning.

My current hound evolved out of constantly running into reverse joint heavies with twin double-barrel cannons.

I began obsessing over how to take these f.uckers down. Best solution I could come up with was stay at long range (so their shells take longer to get to you and it takes them a few volleys to pinpoint your distance) so you can buy enough time to squeeze off a couple of well placed Sabre volleys to the cockpit.

Doesn't always work like I planned, but I'm finding this mixture to be effective against mid-sized hounds too.

With faster wheeled or hover mechs, I always go for their legs/base. One or two cannon volleys usually stops them in their tracks, and then they're sitting ducks. So funny to watch them try and creep away...

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
chespace said:
With faster wheeled or hover mechs, I always go for their legs/base. One or two cannon volleys usually stops them in their tracks, and then they're sitting ducks. So funny to watch them try and creep away...

LOL. Whenever I see one of them limping away, I feel like Hans Gruber in Die hard ordering them to shoot the police vehicle again. "Hit it, again."

Hans-gruber.jpg

Chichikov

raYne said:

So if you're already slow AND your legs are blown to hell, it's game over if the other guy has either a faster hound or positioning. All the armor in the world isn't gonna help you then.
Oh, reading comprehension, not so much. :lol
And yeah, the sign of good sniper, take the legs first.

By the way, I hope out of names post his mechs sometime, he has some amazing designs.
His Mega Man and Pac Man hounds are a thing of beauty.

raYne

chespace said:
My current hound evolved out of constantly running into reverse joint heavies with twin double-barrel cannons.
You could just take the cannons themselves out. *snicker*

I began obsessing over how to take these f.uckers down. Best solution I could come up with was stay at long range (so their shells take longer to get to you and it takes them a few volleys to pinpoint your distance) so you can buy enough time to squeeze off a couple of well placed Sabre volleys to the cockpit.

Doesn't always work like I planned, but I'm finding this mixture to be effective against mid-sized hounds too.

A sniper tip, though it works for all weapons. If your target is far out, you don't really have to worry about linked sniper weapon shots grouping together. If you slightly.. and I mean slightly pull the trigger it'll only fire one out of the set... and of course, that shot is dead on since it's a single. Then you can just pull the trigger again to fire the other gun on the link etc.

Then you can switch off to another set of weapons and do it again if it's a sniper setup. Boom.. boom.. *switch* boom... boom... *switch* boom... *switch* (fire other weapon) repeat.

With my most often used mech (said hybrid sniper/soldier) using that method I can keep up a constand barrage of fire. In addition to causing damage, each hit also screws with their targeting (if your fighting humans) so I pretty much have no fear or retaliation at all.

If they manage to close the distance (yeah right). Then you just give the weapons time to reload and re-link. Then you can fire your grouped shots.

Chichikov said:
Oh, reading comprehension, not so much. :lol
And yeah, the sign of good sniper, take the legs first.
Yeah, from really long distances I usually go for the legs with single shots. If the target is closer I'll group my shots and aim for the cockpit/generator.

Things is.. you might be able to dodge me from long distance, but once your legs are gone (which is what I'm aiming for), you're ****ed. Cause every other shot after that is gonna hit.

:lol

chespace

raYne said:
You could just take the cannons themselves out. *snicker*

A sniper tip, though it works for all weapons. If your target is far out, you don't really have to worry about linked sniper weapon shots grouping together. If you slightly.. and I mean slightly pull the trigger it'll only fire one out of the set... and of course, that shot is dead on since it's a single. Then you can just pull the trigger again to fire the other gun on the link etc.

Then you can switch off to another set of weapons and do it again if it's a sniper setup. Boom.. boom.. *switch* boom... boom... *switch* boom... *switch* (fire other weapon) repeat.

With my most often used mech (said hybrid sniper/soldier) using that method I can keep up a constand barrage of fire. In addition to causing damage, each hit also screws with their targeting (if your fighting humans) so I pretty much have no fear or retaliation at all.

If they manage to close the distance (yeah right). Then you just give the weapons time to reload and re-link. Then you can fire your grouped shots.

Good stuff, Rayne.

I will try both -- taking out just legs/double-barrel cannons, and using single-shots out of a triple sabre cluster.

Kobold

Chichikov said:
not on 1v1.
and not too often on 2v2.
On 2 on 2's we've nearly never lost when playing commander and soldier, two mech that run around 150 (moderate speed). Though that was before the double barrel hype, I don't know how we would fare now.

I haven't played much 1 on 1's really.

Arguiably a one on one against double barreled dudes, just distract them enough to shoot on you whileyou procede to kill their base and make them splash damage it, I guess.Didn't matter if they got combasses, if one stayed at their base he would die and their baser soon after. Usually they are rushers though or missle boats, and they are weak too.

Good tips raYne! :) What's your sniper setup like?

ALSO 13th members, come on when you want tonight, I'll be up to play! Commander Mirik to the rescue! This would be a perfect time to get massive points and win some medals I'd guess.

Chichikov

Kobold said:
On 2 on 2's we've nearly never lost when playing commander and soldier, two mech that run around 150 (moderate speed). Though that was before the double barrel hype, I don't know how we would fare now.

I haven't played much 1 on 1's really.

Arguiably a one on one against double barreled dudes, just distract them enough to shoot on you whileyou prodcede to kill their base and make them splash damage it, I guess.

Didn't matter if they got combasses, if one stayed at their base he would die and their baser soon after. Usually they are rushers though or missle boats, and they are weak too.
I know, I was there (we did pretty good even against those stupid double barrellers).
But I found out that replacing your Tower of Power (tm) with a fast (~200) commander with 4 machineguns works great on 2v2.
If you ever get online on civilized hours I’ll show my prancing ninja commander.
It beats you and insult your manhood at the same time!

chespace

Trasher said:
I have yet to lose a match with my current sniper build. It pwns newbs!

Hmm, how so? Tell me a war story... I'm curious to see what types of hounds you've been facing in 1v1s....

Kobold

Chichikov said:
I know, I was there (we did pretty good even against those stupid double barrellers).
But I found out that replacing your Tower of Power (tm) with a fast (~200) commander with 4 machineguns works great on 2v2.
If you ever get online on civilized hours I’ll show my prancing ninja commander.
It beats you and insult your manhood at the same time!
Whaat you on our squad? :lol I never knew that!

EDIT. You hapoel?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i have yet to see a good sniper in a 1 on 1 game. i can always pester them with lobbed rockets until i get close, at which point it's over. snipers have tons of damage potential, though, and in theory they'd match up well against those guys with the big cannons, so i've probably just seen inept pilots. those howitzer/heavy cannon guys are ruining my fun. i can sometimes take them by keeping a bead on them from midrange and shooting when they shoot, but even their near misses will hurt my legs, and one direct hit is likely to cripple me. i have to play a perfect game to beat a skilled player using one of those mechs. i don't want to switch over to howitzers, but it just seems like they're better weapons than rockets, more than overcoming their disadvantages. half my wins these days come off of inept basekillers and the losers with the homing missiles. :(

Ashodin

Kobold said:
ALSO 13th members, come on when you want tonight, I'll be up to play! Commander Mirik to the rescue! This would be a perfect time to get massive points and win some medals I'd guess.

raYne, you're playing a lot now, don'tcha want back in with the 13th, dude? :)

Mirik: How long you plan to be up? I'm talking EST hours.

It's 6 PM est right now, I am planning on hitting up DR until about maybe 9:30 - 10 PMish, then playing CH all night with the 13th.

13th, Suit Up! Throw DR to the side for a bit for some multiplayer!

Kobold

We just had a wierd game that falls in the category 'dumb' as well. One dude double barreled, comes at BlackHawk, blackHawk retreats, one of them is at the base. Five minutes in the battle, BlackHawk took the guy down to our base-ish, I'm all the way on the other site in plain sight, going for their base. Their defender dude starts walking FORWARD towards the battle with BlackHawk on the other side of the map! (WTF??) I was besides of him, well maybe he ddn't see me, but I'm white and the surroundings are brown and I had machineguns and came at him, so it still puzzles me why they gave that game away. I could just kill their base easypeasy (though it had the no flag glitch...hate that).

Pretty dumb, if he stayed there to defend and possibly killed me or made me diengage they would've won, since they had a dude at our base, obviously overpowering BlackHawk with his double barreled guns, etc...

Twilight: I'm playing now with BlackHawk, come join us dude, we'll go back into lobby if you send message that you arrive!

Ashodin

Kobold said:
We just had a wierd game that falls in the category 'dumb' as well. One dude double barreled, comes at BlackHawk, blackHawk retreats, one of them is at the base. Five minutes in the battle, BlackHawk took the guy down to our base-ish, I'm all the way on the other site in plain sight, going for their base. Their defender dude starts walking FORWARD towards the battle with BlackHawk on the other side of the map! (WTF??) I was besides of him, well maybe he ddn't see me, but I'm white and the surroundings are brown and I had machineguns and came at him, so it still puzzles me why they gave that game away. I could just kill their base easypeasy (though it had the no flag glitch...hate that).

Pretty dumb, if he stayed there to defend and possibly killed me or made me diengage they would've won, since they had a dude at our base, obviously overpowering BlackHawk with his double barreled guns, etc...

Twilight: I'm playing now with BlackHawk, come join us dude, we'll go back into lobby if you send message that you arrive!

Okay well here's the deal: I've been out all day, let me play DR for about an hour, and then I'll show up. I GOT to get in some gameplay.

Chichikov

Kobold said:
Whaat you on our squad? :lol I never knew that!

EDIT. You hapoel?
You mean you don't recognize my accent?
For shame!
I’ll be on later on, need my chromehounds fix, no one was on for the last couple of days.

Kobold

Chichikov said:
You mean you don't recognize my accent?
For shame!
I’ll be on later on, need my chromehounds fix, no one was on for the last couple of days.
ok come!

actually we cant get games...... i dunno i'm gonna mega sleep :(

DenogginizerOS

We've reached an Oblivionesque blackout now that Dead Rising is out. Kung Fu and I were the ONLY ones in the lobby for the last 2 hours. Ugh.

chespace

DenogginizerOS said:
We've reached an Oblivionesque blackout now that Dead Rising is out. Kung Fu and I were the ONLY ones in the lobby for the last 2 hours. Ugh.

I'm about to leave work but I'll probably miss you guys by the time I hop on.

Tat

Banned
I want this game. But I have no money until next month.

Che, tell your employer to send me some free games.

Trasher

chespace said:
Hmm, how so? Tell me a war story... I'm curious to see what types of hounds you've been facing in 1v1s....
Well my build is 4 of the Sabres, then 2 Fleurets(I think, some kind of Sal Kar sniper cannon) and I duel link all of them. The Sabres take out all legs/treads in around 2-3 hits, so spikers never get to my base, and if people try to use the dual homing missile strat on me, I never let them get close enough to where I can't dodge them. So, talking from a 1v1 viewpoint, the only class that is a threat to me would be another sniper(especially if they have a better connection than me).

My war stories aren't very exciting. I have faced spikers, dual noob cannoners, dual homing missiles, heavy gunners, snipers, and pretty much everything else. They usually end with me one or two shotting someone off in the distance, or if they get close I just do the same thing at my base. This build pretty much destroys at any range. I really should only lose if I'm lagging and can't hit a thing, or if someone just builds a hound with no weapons so they can run around super quick and capture all the COMBAS'.

Actually, I do have one good story, but it wasn't in a 1v1, and you were there, Che, along with DJ, Modus, and I think our 5th was FrontlineFire. I started off by going to COMBAS C, and you followed along with me. On this particular map there is a ridge that ends where COMBAS C is located. Once I captured COMBAS C I had a nice view of the center of the map where the enemies' base 2 is located, but in this current game that wasn't their base. In the open field there were a few Hounds roaming around so I decided to keep moving up to where there was another ridge that I could get behind and get a closer look from. By the time I made it to the other ridge Che had disappeared from my 6, and was nowhere to be seen around COMBAS C. Now I was cut off from our team's NA, and my radar showed two dots on the other side of the ridge coming at me. So I waited for the two dots on the other side to get to the tip of the ridge, and I was probably about 150 yards away from where they would come out. The first one that came out was a soldier/defenderesque type, and I immediately blasted him in the cockpit with a dual-linked shot from my Sabres, and he popped. The second gave me a little more trouble. This hound was more of a defender/heavygunner type with lots of cannons and howitzers. Only one, of my next dual-linked shot, hit him and the same with my dual-linked Fleurets. This guy had some decent footwork, and it was hard to get both of my shots to land. While I was waiting for my Sabres to recharge(they have quite a long recharging time) he was able to get some of his howitzers/cannons to land on me, which disabled the cameras on one set of my Sabres, and on my Fleurets. Now, with my last functional Sabres, I had one chance to finish this guy off since he would probably just crush me if he landed any shots on my cockpit. Luckily both of my shots landed on his cockpit this time, and he popped. So I proceeded to head to the COMBAS over where DJ was fighting another hound. DJ ended up killing it, and I was able to secure the COMBAS and tell everyone, to their surprise, that I had already taken out two of the enemy hounds. Someone, I forget who, had also killed another one, and DJ and I saw the last hound coming from the ridge where I had killed the previous hounds. DJ started hurling some cannon/missile shots on him, and I finished him off with a snipe to the cockpit. That was my first "3 Kill" game! Was a sweet game, and we had a whole lot of good games that whole night.

parada911

Trasher said:
Well my build is 4 of the Sabres, then 2 Fleurets(I think, some kind of Sal Kar sniper cannon) and I duel link all of them. The Sabres take out all legs/treads in around 2-3 hits, so spikers never get to my base, and if people try to use the dual homing missile strat on me, I never let them get close enough to where I can't dodge them. So, talking from a 1v1 viewpoint, the only class that is a threat to me would be another sniper(especially if they have a better connection than me).

My war stories aren't very exciting. I have faced spikers, dual noob cannoners, dual homing missiles, heavy gunners, snipers, and pretty much everything else. They usually end with me one or two shotting someone off in the distance, or if they get close I just do the same thing at my base. This build pretty much destroys at any range. I really should only lose if I'm lagging and can't hit a thing, or if someone just builds a hound with no weapons so they can run around super quick and capture all the COMBAS'.

Actually, I do have one good story, but it wasn't in a 1v1, and you were there, Che, along with DJ, Modus, and I think our 5th was FrontlineFire. I started off by going to COMBAS C, and you followed along with me. On this particular map there is a ridge that ends where COMBAS C is located. Once I captured COMBAS C I had a nice view of the center of the map where the enemies' base 2 is located, but in this current game that wasn't their base. In the open field there were a few Hounds roaming around so I decided to keep moving up to where there was another ridge that I could get behind and get a closer look from. By the time I made it to the other ridge Che had disappeared from my 6, and was nowhere to be seen around COMBAS C. Now I was cut off from our team's NA, and my radar showed two dots on the other side of the ridge coming at me. So I waited for the two dots on the other side to get to the tip of the ridge, and I was probably about 150 yards away from where they would come out. The first one that came out was a soldier/defenderesque type, and I immediately blasted him in the cockpit with a dual-linked shot from my Sabres, and he popped. The second gave me a little more trouble. This hound was more of a defender/heavygunner type with lots of cannons and howitzers. Only one, of my next dual-linked shot, hit him and the same with my dual-linked Fleurets. This guy had some decent footwork, and it was hard to get both of my shots to land. While I was waiting for my Sabres to recharge(they have quite a long recharging time) he was able to get some of his howitzers/cannons to land on me, which disabled the cameras on one set of my Sabres, and on my Fleurets. Now, with my last functional Sabres, I had one chance to finish this guy off since he would probably just crush me if he landed any shots on my cockpit. Luckily both of my shots landed on his cockpit this time, and he popped. So I proceeded to head to the COMBAS over where DJ was fighting another hound. DJ ended up killing it, and I was able to secure the COMBAS and tell everyone, to their surprise, that I had already taken out two of the enemy hounds. Someone, I forget who, had also killed another one, and DJ and I saw the last hound coming from the ridge where I had killed the previous hounds. DJ started hurling some cannon/missile shots on him, and I finished him off with a snipe to the cockpit. That was my first "3 Kill" game! Was a sweet game, and we had a whole lot of good games that whole night.

I have to get this. Sounds awesome.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I think I'll stick to the reverse joint biped legs, but modify my mech into more of a sniper mech with some soldier backup weapons methinks. I'll drop the four machineguns and go for 2 paired accurate sniper cannons for long range, 4 paired assault rifles for medium range (because I love how accurate they are at medium range) and two paired double barrel shotguns for close range when someone ennoying gets close. Let's see how that one works out :) Any criticism?

DenogginizerOS

Good intel, Trasher! I dusted off my sniper last night and I will tinker with it more tonight. Are any of you west coasters getting on earlier tonight? As I said last night, the DR blackout hit hard last night and it was pretty lonesome for Kung Fu and I. Man, I just want to stay home and play Chromohounds...

Dekelia

I need to figure out when you all play. I was on from about 9:45 PM until 12:00 PM last night and it was very lonely in the 13th :(

I saw a couple of people on DR but nobody from the 13th was on to play. I ended up playing single player (which I've already completed) to try to get all S's....SINGLE PLAYER!!! come on people, lol, I dyin' here, huh.

I'll be on tonight around 8:30 or 9:00 Eastern Time, hope to see some of you from the 13th.

I was on from about 6:30 PM Central time until nearly 10 PM, Denog joined me for about the last two hours. We did some 2 vs. 2 missions trying out some new designs and different strategies.

While I was on by myself, I built a couple of new mechs, and worked on my already built ones. Took them out into some 1 vs. 1 matches. I had my Solider mech well balanced, and about where I wanted it, until I accidently saved over it with a Sniper later on. :lol Back to the drawing board with that one. :D

I also built a new Commander Mech. I haven't played Commander too much, but I want to have it on hand in case we get into some larger battles, and we need one. I'm always happy to give it a go and take my turn.

DenogginizerOS

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I also built a new Commander Mech. I haven't played Commander too much, but I want to have it on hand in case we get into some larger battles, and we need one. I'm always happy to give it a go and take my turn.

I will also my services as a scout. In one 2X2 match, Kung Fu stayed at our base while I scoured the map for their base. By the time they found our base and engaged Kung Fu, I was already taking their base down with bombs and my 8 machine guns. If those who have played these roles want to sit back and get fat off of kills with howitzers and such, I will gladly fall into this role.

DenogginizerOS said:
I will also my services as a scout. In one 2X2 match, Kung Fu stayed at our base while I scoured the map for their base. By the time they found our base and engaged Kung Fu, I was already taking their base down with bombs and my 8 machine guns. If those who have played these roles want to sit back and get fat off of kills with howitzers and such, I will gladly fall into this role.

Which brings up something Denog and I were discussing last night. The squad should start to develop our roles a bit better. It often seems that we mostly fall into the "Soldier" RT and when we go to battle together we kind of rush off as a group, with one person staying behind as a commander. We probably would be more effective if we chose roles that we are naturally gravitating towards, and develop are mechs based on our roles. So, when we roll out into a six player match, we'd have a unit that consisted of a Commander, two Soldiers, a Defender, a Scout, and a Sniper, or something. Then we work to support each other in those roles.

Obvioiusly no one wants to play the same role all the time, and in smaller matches it's not possible, but it's something to think about. If you find yourself playing one RT more often, and that your effective at it, develop some good mechs for that role, and play it well on the battlefield with the rest of the group.

As for me, I find myself probably most effective as a Sniper or Defender, but have also developed a Scout/Commander mech that I would like to try as well. Just food for thought.

Kobold

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Which brings up something Denog and I were discussing last night. The squad should start to develop our roles a bit better. It often seems that we mostly fall into the "Soldier" RT and when we go to battle together we kind of rush off as a group, with one person staying behind as a commander. We probably would be more effective if we chose roles that we are naturally gravitating towards, and develop are mechs based on our roles. So, when we roll out into a six player match, we'd have a unit that consisted of a Commander, two Soldiers, a Defender, a Scout, and a Sniper, or something. Then we work to support each other in those roles.

Obvioiusly no one wants to play the same role all the time, and in smaller matches it's not possible, but it's something to think about. If you find yourself playing one RT more often, and that your effective at it, develop some good mechs for that role, and play it well on the battlefield with the rest of the group.

As for me, I find myself probably most effective as a Sniper or Defender, but have also developed a Scout/Commander mech that I would like to try as well. Just food for thought.
As a commaner I'm always the first to go ahead.

We work in the way that I basically pin-point where they are or where they are coming from, and we develop our tactics accordingly. We pick them off one-by-one for example, or we grab combasses if they arent moving to lure them out, etc. And if they all come for us, I just go the long way round and kill their base. :lol

Kobold said:
As a commaner I'm always the first to go ahead.

We work in the way that I basically pin-point where they are or where they are coming from, and we develop our tactics accordingly. We pick them off one-by-one for example, or we grab combasses if they arent moving to lure them out, etc. And if they all come for us, I just go the long way round and kill their base. :lol

That's the kind of thing I'm talking about. Better coordination within the squad. Of course, using a commander always builds better coordination right off the bat, but I don't see the RT's in Chrome Hounds any differently then the roles you'd play in BF 1942/BF 2. Find the ones that we feel comfortable with, and learn to get much better in that area.

Now I just wish I were back home rebuilding my Rifleman soldier mech I copied over. Work on a Friday sucks! :D

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
wtf - i just played an online mission and i got dropped by a scout with ONE shot.... the F*CK!?!

100 points for single weapons??

60 points for single spacers??!!?!?!

Well, Chromehounds is the one and only game that I'd be willing to shell out extra money for. Hopefully the new guns will rock.

Hmm...don't like the idea of paying 100 points for a single weapon. A weapon pack with three or four perhaps, but not a single one. I just hope the weapons they release are not too unbalanced and over powering for those of us who decide to pass on them. I'd hate to have the game ruined DLC that throws off the balance.

60 points for spacers? WTF! :lol

Top Bottom