• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official GAF Chromehounds Squad Thread

Ashodin

219367557_0f655550d3_o.jpg

219367556_3c0b854c06_o.jpg
[/QUOTE]
OHIO STATE FTW!

Ashodin

I've been reading reports of cheaters lately.

Man, why do games always get flooded with people who cheat the system? Are there really people that bored enough to just cheat and not play legit?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i just built a really silly mech. it's the very heaviest cockpit on garfield legs with four of the fast-reloading sal kar rockets and four of the downloaded machineguns -- i managed to squeeze in the neumann chip and balance the machineguns so they don't kick even with my very low stability, so it goes about 185. :lol

played a game with chespace against two double-double-barrels, and the first one managed to strip all my weapons, but did practically nothing to my cockpit. i just stood in front of the second one and blocked his shots -- between che's sniping and the splash damage he dealt himself, he was almost dead by the time he took me down. i think i may have invented the "walking shield" roletype. :lol

Juice

drohne said:
i just built a really silly mech. it's the very heaviest cockpit on garfield legs with four of the fast-reloading sal kar rockets and four of the downloaded machineguns -- i managed to squeeze in the neumann chip and balance the machineguns so they don't kick even with my very low stability, so it goes about 185. :lol

played a game with chespace against two double-double-barrels, and the first one managed to strip all my weapons, but did practically nothing to my cockpit. i just stood in front of the second one and blocked his shots -- between che's sniping and the splash damage he dealt himself, he was almost dead by the time he took me down. i think i may have invented the "walking shield" roletype. :lol

:lol

I love how this game encourages creativity

shuri

Banned
Real men like me go to combat with only two regular cannons. I took down 4 mechs withing 3 minutes in deathmatch. Two heavy gunners with dual dual double heavy cannons too. Those fools!

Trasher

KAOS said:
LOL! Yeah that's how the damage was being caused. Not a practical Hound but an interesting fun hound. Circle strafing in a up close fight becomes almost second nature(at least to me). With my type of hound I don't mind it all. In fact I pretty much set up my hound with CS in mind. I think I fight heaters, snipers, pilers and double barrel f*cks with the intention of getting them close and CSing them to my advantage. It's not the only face to face strategy or the best one for that matter. But it's kept me alive more times than not.

Some screen grabs...

Don't get me angry or I'll knock down a tree!
219367557_0f655550d3_o.jpg

Face to face with the friendly fun impratical Bronto Hound.
219367556_3c0b854c06_o.jpg
Btw, Kaos, how fast is that hound?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
I built a sweet double double today. I'm now in love with the build. ;)

Within a few games, I started taking out 2 or 3 enemies solo.

For maps like St. Yves and other sniper friendly areas, I have a variation build which ditches one of the doubles for 2 Epee sniper cannons and some armor.

Well looks like we got 2 HVG users in the Brigade now (denog and I).

Gonna go hang out with wife all day, but will play some later tonight.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
chespace said:

For maps like St. Yves and other sniper friendly areas, I have a variation build which ditches one of the doubles for 2 Epee sniper cannons and some armor.

Very nice. I too am hanging out with the wife all day. I will be on tonight as well. 830-900EST.

chespace said:

Who isn't in love with the build (at least among those willing to be cheap as hell)? It is as near to god-mode as you can get in this game.

Minimal aiming? Check

Enemy unable to return fire? Check

Can damage every part of enemy mech at once? Check

Bypass all enemy defense? Check

8000 durability "shields"? Check

Way too much damage for the weight? Check

DenogginizerOS

My Arms Your Hearse said:
Who isn't in love with the build (at least among those willing to be cheap as hell)? It is as near to god-mode as you can get in this game.

Minimal aiming? Check

Enemy unable to return fire? Check

Can damage every part of enemy mech at once? Check

Bypass all enemy defense? Check

8000 durability "shields"? Check

Way too much damage for the weight? Check

To be fair, I have been a heavy gunner for almost the entire time this game has been out. I rarely charge in and expose myself to multiple enemies because when I do, I get creamed. I typically lay back, shell from distance, and come up ONLY when the other team stupidly starts to charge our team. Now, if you want call that cheap, fine. But I disagree, and feel one should look at the role type as a whole before calling anyone who uses it cheap.

I built a double double today as well, at Che's encouragement. It's obviously very powerful, and fairly fast. I need to work out some armor issues with it, but otherwise, it's fairly easy to make a powerful mech with this configuration. I'll probably save the build, but won't use it too much. Just not my style of play.

I'll have to mess around some with my Defener/Commander mix. I mostly like the way it's set up, but it's pretty specialized and slow. It makes a great base defender, but it easy pickings when I get outside of that role. Several of us were playing this afternoon, and after we had one of our double-doubles dropped with a bad connection (Trasher), and the other taken out by a sniper (Che), I was left to try to go in sure of said sniper. Only to mostly get picked apart moving across open territory. I think for it's role, base defender/commander, it works well though.

It's funny how the double-doubles were being called cheezy by a lot of people in this thread a few days ago, only to have opinions change when you build one yourself. :lol

DenogginizerOS

And the new triple shot rifle (100 points) can dismantle a double barrrel as I discovered the hard way and later confirmed after I used one myself.

Trasher

They really need to tone the splash damage down and make those things weigh more or something. The build is way too solid against every single RT. Pretty soon it will be the only type of hound that people play.

DenogginizerOS said:
To be fair, I have been a heavy gunner for almost the entire time this game has been out. I rarely charge in and expose myself to multiple enemies because when I do, I get creamed. I typically lay back, shell from distance, and come up ONLY when the other team stupidly starts to charge our team. Now, if you want call that cheap, fine. But I disagree, and feel one should look at the role type as a whole before calling anyone who uses it cheap.

Well, I don't mind the ones on Multi legs so much, its the bitches on Inverse/Bidpeds with (relatively) insane speed that you have no chance of hitting that I can't stand. At least if you can get behind multi legs guys you can take them out before they turn around (and they can't really dodge).

Honestly, Heavy Gunners or more or less meant to take out my preferred mech, but my complaints go beyond this. Yes, the "aiming" for them at long range is difficult, but not difficult enough to warrant the power these mechs/guns have. They're so much more vital than anything else when played well.

But really, when it comes to splash damage, something has to change. As it stands currently...

1) You don't even have to hit anyone. Just get it kinda near them. I'm OK with this, as hitting dead on at any kind of range is nearly impossible, but they just didn't stop there...

2) Splash damage knocks you to **** and back. I've been turned about 180 degrees before. Kinda makes any arguments about "OMG reload time" irrelevant

3) It pretty much hits every damn part of your mech at once, disabling anything without 4-5K durability instantly. Also, obviously, you cannot defend any part of your mech against these attacks. It will just hit the shields and the stuff you're shielding. I can take one out of I can get right up close on it, but it is nearly INEVITABLE that even with a drop and everything going perfectly for me, a single shot will take out half my guns/armor or more - even if the shot didn't directly hit me!

I don't care what the **** of this goes, but some of it needs to.

Oh, and Double Cannons SERIOUSLY need about 500-1000 weight tacked on. No joke. They're the most powerful Heavy Guns in the game, taken on pure damage alone. That is if you're only factoring in that they fire a single round. But they don't. They fire TWO. So they're a bit more than TWICE as powerful as the next most powerful gun in the game, and they only weigh like 15% more. Something is ****ed up here (and this would eliminate the speedy bidped/inverse guys).

Oh, and maybe this is just me, but it seems they have ultra wide splash damage as well (more than usual, but this could be my imagination)

Trasher

Very good points and I agree with all of them. The biggest problem is the range of the splash damage and the damage that the splash causes. I think if they just reduced the splash damage a good deal, it would balance everything out.

DenogginizerOS said:
And the new triple shot rifle (100 points) can dismantle a double barrrel as I discovered the hard way and later confirmed after I used one myself.

The range isn't that good. Should be easy to splash them to death from that range. Not to mention their guns will only last 1 or 2 shellings before they explode. You pretty much need sniper range or another heavy gunner to consistently do well against these weapons (especially if on biped)

(but yes, those things are powerful - but hey, AT LEAST YOU CAN ****ING STILL AIM while being shot - and the user has to be accurate and can only hit one part of your mech at once)

Trasher said:
Very good points and I agree with all of them. The biggest problem is the range of the splash damage and the damage that the splash causes. I think if they just reduced the splash damage a good deal, it would balance everything out.

They need to tone down the "disorientaiton" effect, or at least diminish it the further you are away from the where the shells hit. I can get hit for 2 points of splash damage and I still bounce around like mad. In fact, if they got rid of this entirely, I don't think I'd care about the rest of the bullshit, because at least I could fire back!

I really think the INSANE durability on the cannons should be pointed out as well. Most Heavy Guns that I've looked at have about ~5k durability. Double Cannons are just under 8K...

Again, WTF? They're just so far above every other Howitzer/Cannon that they might as well not even exist.

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
I understand that Double Barreled guns are overpowered, but I don't understand Che's propagandizing to you guys to make one!

Do you want this to become a run of the mill game where everyone is the same Mech? Destroy the unique diversity that makes this game interesting? If that happens, and these overpowered brutes aren't patched I'm resigning from this game pretty soon probably.

We win plenty against DB's, but that doesn't mean they aren't overpowered, and incredibly boring to play against.

They need to tone down splash, plus give them more unstability and weight as well as adjust their durability.

Chichikov

DenogginizerOS said:
How can you spot a cheese tactic?
When the people using it come and explain how it can be easily beat.
I have a few nice hounds I built, they all have weakness, but I'm sure as hell wouldn’t come here (or the chromehounds forums or whats not) and explain to you how you can defeat them.

I think that the double barrels are overpowered at the moment.
I think that I play way too many people who employ them (today, I have yet to fight a non-double barrel team).

If you enjoy playing them, more power to you, but please, coming here and saying “oh they suck, I use them for rollplaying reasons” doesn’t make it any less cheap.

Trasher

Kobold said:
I understand that Double Barreled guns are overpowered, but I don't understand Che's propagandizing to you guys to make one!

Do you want this to become a run of the mill game where everyone is the same Mech? Destroy the unique diversity that makes this game interesting? If that happens, and these overpowered brutes aren't patched I'm resigning from this game pretty soon probably.

We win plenty against DB's, but that doesn't mean they aren't overpowered, and incredibly boring to play against.

They need to tone down splash, plus give them more unstability and weight as well as adjust their durability.
Che isn't making anyone play them. Come on now, he isn't MaxRPG! I KEED I KEED :)

Chichikov said:
How can you spot a cheese tactic?
When the people using it come and explain how it can be easily beat.
I have a few nice hounds I built, they all have weakness, but I'm sure as hell wouldn’t come here (or the chromehounds forums or whats not) and explain to you how you can defeat them.

I think that the double barrels are overpowered at the moment.
I think that I play way too many people who employ them (today, I have yet to fight a non-double barrel team).

If you enjoy playing them, more power to you, but please, coming here and saying “oh they suck, I use them for rollplaying reasons” doesn’t make it any less cheap.

Not to mention you would have to PAY to get access to the weapons (which any good HG should destroy). The Double Cannons have to be downloaded, but they're free.

shuri

Banned
The double cannons are huge and easy to target. It's all about being fast enough. They wont break the game and i love fighting against them. They are so slow.

Chichikov

shuri said:
The double cannons are huge and easy to target. It's all about being fast enough. They wont break the game and i love fighting against them. They are so slow.
You’re only fast until they shoot the first volley.
After that you’re slow.
And after that you’re dead.

And as for them being slow, a double barrel build is usually faster then a front line soldier.

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
shuri said:
The faster you are, the faster you die. Sure you may have fought some morons that went solo on their team that you could circle strafe, we can take those out as well, no trouble. In fact we just did that 1 minute ago. But wait untill you fight an actual TEAM of double barreled dudes. Then you are dead in one volley of each with your low durability wheels. :lol

Again I'm not saying they are unbeatable, I'm saying they are overpowered. That seems pretty clear from just pointing out the lack of weaknesses opposed to other mechs with other load-outs. :)

drohne

alright, after an unbelievably tedious day of fighting virtually nothing but double barrels, i think i'm through with chromehounds, unless or until the game is patched. it's not even that i'm frustrated -- chromehounds losses used to frustrate me, and that was a good thing -- i'm just bored. building a "double barrel killer" isn't a challenge that interests me, nor is building my own double barrel and playing "who can shoot in the enemy's general direction." wonderful game, currently ruined by an unbalanced weapon and the community's willingness to exploit it. sure, i beat double barrels sometimes, but it's only because their pilots are unbelievably inept, and no doubt even they will plumb the full depths of double barrel gunmanship within a half-dozen matches.

so, dead rising!

drohne

oh, in the "stupid/clever new ideas" department, i fought a couple guys with the seemingly-useless light multi-rockets and light cannons -- they would spray the rockets, usually hitting at least lightly, and then take advantage of the stun to hit you with the cannons. first one i fought wasted me, but i managed to stay out of the second one's rocket range.

Trasher

drohne said:
alright, after an unbelievably tedious day of fighting virtually nothing but double barrels, i think i'm through with chromehounds, unless or until the game is patched. it's not even that i'm frustrated -- chromehounds losses used to frustrate me, and that was a good thing -- i'm just bored. building a "double barrel killer" isn't a challenge that interests me, nor is building my own double barrel and playing "who can shoot in the enemy's general direction." wonderful game, currently ruined by an unbalanced weapon and the community's willingness to exploit it. sure, i beat double barrels sometimes, but it's only because their pilots are unbelievably inept, and no doubt even they will plumb the full depths of double barrel gunmanship within a half-dozen matches.

so, dead rising!
Yup, where you used to have the uneasy feeling of what kind of hound the enemy would bring to the match, now there is the horrible feeling of knowing it is a double barrel cannon guy.

DenogginizerOS

There has to be a way to destroy the double barrels. How about a swarm of fast spikers? Fan out in packs of 2. Two run distraction while the other two go for the base, or go for the double cannons in packs.

DenogginizerOS said:
There has to be a way to destroy the double barrels. How about a swarm of fast spikers? Fan out in packs of 2. Two run distraction while the other two go for the base, or go for the double cannons in packs.

We just tried that... Dj is hurt and running, the splash damage killed me... he's still unhurt...well hurting from his own splash damage. =[ :lol

Kingpen

Trasher, Denogg and a few others had a discussion with me about maybe thinking about switching countries so we can make rounds on weapons... Probably would help the newer players out in the squad (would help me out a lot!).

I had no idead a sniper could shoot things around you (such as oil barrels) and totally take you out with splash damage. Last game I was in, I made an attempt to hit up a combas, then got trapped behind it by a sniper, and then a nuclear explosion happened behind me and took me out. F*cking eh....

Right as someone from the squad was warning me, and then afterwards having my wife taunt me saying... 'SEE, YOU SHOULD HAVE LISTENED TO THEM!'

Kingpen said:
Trasher, Denogg and a few others had a discussion with me about maybe thinking about switching countries so we can make rounds on weapons... Probably would help the newer players out in the squad (would help me out a lot!).

I had no idead a sniper could shoot things around you (such as oil barrels) and totally take you out with splash damage. Last game I was in, I made an attempt to hit up a combas, then got trapped behind it by a sniper, and then a nuclear explosion happened behind me and took me out. F*cking eh....

Right as someone from the squad was warning me, and then afterwards having my wife taunt me saying... 'SEE, YOU SHOULD HAVE LISTENED TO THEM!'

Nooo, we just did that =[
And yeah, I was the one warning you a few times to move, then boom. :lol :lol

Chichikov

DenogginizerOS said:

That’s probably not going to work.
Any half decent double barreler will blow your wheels way before you can get near him, not to mention that splash blow the spikes super fast.
And yeah, I’m pretty you can come up with a system that will enable multiple hounds to take on a double barreler (multiple snipers can work wonders).
But having to attack a build with numbers, being unable to take it 1 on 1, isn’t that the definition of being overpowered?

Kingpen

DarkAngelYuna said:
Nooo, we just did that =[
And yeah, I was the one warning you a few times to move, then boom. :lol :lol

I understand the hate for the double barrel... for right now though, I am seeing teams that have at least one in them inside every deployment... being that I am still fairly new to the game, limited on parts and also still learning every single time I play, I don't mind utilizing the design if it helps me become a better asset to the squad that is deployed....

No problem about switching countries... I understand.... I plan to be playing with you guys for a good while anyway, so perhaps in a few weeks, or even a months time, we can change countries...

Yeah, I was totally pinned down by that damn sniper...no where I could go before he smokes the oil rig next to me and takes me out Shit....

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Well, using a double barrel build to fight double barrels more or less equalizes the game. It's like Quake. Who the fcuk wants to use a nail gun when everyone's using rocket launchers?

Are the double doubles overpowered? Hell yes. Are they annoying as hell to fight? Yup. If you guys remember, I focused all my hound building creativity on killing double doubles. But so what? Without proper teamwork, my pure Sabrehound was picked apart (especially when my other teammate is a soldier who runs off solo to get killed so then I have to fight 2 double doubles on my own).

The point is, with an online game like CH, trends are ever-morphing. Besides double doubles, there's a rise in the telephone pole missile boats. The shitty part is that we all have to adapt to these trends and nobody really wants to be forced to change their favorite mech blueprint in order to deal with the next tide. Folks are also wising up to the power of cannons (anelace and the new flanberg) and linking quad cannons for quick kills up-close.

I dunno, as much as this game makes me want to fcuking throw the disc out the window sometimes, I am infatuated with the meta-challenge of the game that constantly keeps you on your toes. Yes, I had to join 'em cuz I couldn't really beat them, but hey, playing as a double double against other double doubles is STILL FUN AND CHALLENGING. :)

Anyway, gonna get a game or two in now...

drohne said:

so, dead rising!

I know where you're coming from but I'm not going to give up on it just yet. I simply refuse to use my double double just out of pure contempt for everyone else using that build but there's nothing better than taking those ****ers out with some cannons or spikes. And it's even better if they're looking at Hello Kitty as they blow. **** those dicks.

But hopefully someone over at Sega/From will patch the game and adjust the fire rate or splash damage radius or just get rid of the damn thing all together. Some of these guys that use the double doubles are so adept at using 'em that they can launch artillery fire from their base to your base right from the get go. The game is basically over at that point.

Treo360

chespace said:
Well, using a double barrel build to fight double barrels more or less equalizes the game. It's like Quake. Who the fcuk wants to use a nail gun when everyone's using rocket launchers?

Are the double doubles overpowered? Hell yes. Are they annoying as hell to fight? Yup. If you guys remember, I focused all my hound building creativity on killing double doubles. But so what? Without proper teamwork, my pure Sabrehound was picked apart (especially when my other teammate is a soldier who runs off solo to get killed so then I have to fight 2 double doubles on my own).

The point is, with an online game like CH, trends are ever-morphing. Besides double doubles, there's a rise in the telephone pole missile boats. The shitty part is that we all have to adapt to these trends and nobody really wants to be forced to change their favorite mech blueprint in order to deal with the next tide. Folks are also wising up to the power of cannons (anelace and the new flanberg) and linking quad cannons for quick kills up-close.

I dunno, as much as this game makes me want to fcuking throw the disc out the window sometimes, I am infatuated with the meta-challenge of the game that constantly keeps you on your toes. Yes, I had to join 'em cuz I couldn't really beat them, but hey, playing as a double double against other double doubles is STILL FUN AND CHALLENGING. :)

Anyway, gonna get a game or two in now...

To each his own then. Fighting a DDB as a DDB is like playing an RPG; One waiting for the other one to fire, so that you can fire. No thanks, not my idea of fun. What I liked about CH (and still do) is the variety of Mech designs.

If all CH becomes is a DDB game, then where's the fun in that? The Spiker trend was easily overcome with a standard non-downloadable part: The Machine Guns, and proved to be a very effective counter.

The only effective counter against a DDB is attrition 3/2-1 with one almost always coming out severely damaged if the fight happens to get close up. Let's not forget a squad of 4-6 DDB sticking together, each dialing in a different rage on you and alternating firing amongst the group.

Tone down the Splash or the durability, or both. No weapon should be as durable as the heaviest cockpits. Hell make them only mountable on a 4 leg chassis.

BTW looks like Triple DDB guys are trying to make there mark. Too bad they didn't know where our base was.

Chichikov

chespace said:

Equalize the game?
Sure.
But it’s also takes away a lot of the stuff that make it so great -
Creative hound building.
Diverse roles.
Different tactics.

If Chromhounds becomes a DD on DD game, it will be pretty pointless.

Luckily, most DDers you I met pretty much sucks at this game, so if you get the right map and a good team, you can still beat them (and this is very ****ing rewarding).
But I have no doubt they will get better.
It ain’t rocket science.

The guns have to go, period, or be heavily altered. A game with nothing but a single gun (and maybe Heat Seekers, which are also cheap as ****, but more counterable) is well, a complete failure of epic proportions.

Vagrant

Kobold said:

Well that sucks, hopefully you and the rest of the 13th are still playing by the time I get back on CH (I wouldn't hold my breath for From Software to patch this). Are entire teams of double barreled cannon users becoming that commonplace now? I know right before I left they were very common but we'd still see some teams mixing it up with their hound design. At least we still won the vast majority of our fights against them.

chespace said:
Folks are also wising up to the power of cannons (anelace and the new flanberg) and linking quad cannons for quick kills up-close.

I've used a set of four linked falchions grouped together on all of my hounds for the vast majority of my time playing this game, very effective mid~close range. At a distance you only lightly pull the trigger so as to only fire around two shots to reduce recoil and increase your rate of fire (two firing shouldn't give you any recoil with the right parts), then when you get close you pull hard for a knockout blow. The light cockpits that double barreled cannon users are often forced to use due to weight can be destroyed in one well-placed shot.

This build is especially effective if you have a commander on your team, they make getting close much easier.

At least the heat seaking telephone poles can't take down a base within the first 30 seconds of a match, unlike double doubles. I've been in games that were essentially over right from the start 'cause the other team had dialed in our base right from the get go from 4 or 5 clicks away. Ridiculous.

Chichikov

My Arms Your Hearse said:
The guns have to go, period, or be heavily altered. A game with nothing but a single gun (and maybe Heat Seekers, which are also cheap as ****, but more counterable) is well, a complete failure of epic proportions.
I wouldn’t say gone.
Artillery is great, in theory it should add a whole new level of depth to the game.
Problem is, current implementation got it backward, it is devastating at close range and not very useable as an indirect fire weapon.

But generally speaking, yeah, I was never a fan of homing weapons or splash damage.
Like we used to say back in the UT days, splash damage is like the Special Olympics –
Everyone’s a winner! You missed? That’s ok! You still get to hurt your enemy.
hooray!

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
do i like double barrels? no of course not, but they are beatable and have done it on plenty of occasions.

personally, i look at it as a challenge, and I have a new build that has been good so far against them

they should be limited to myriapods and be a little heavier

Trasher

I was hoping that the multiplayer game would involve proper usage of each RT in order to win, but it is evolving into a single RT game.

pilonv1

Treo360 said:
Tone down the Splash or the durability, or both. No weapon should be as durable as the heaviest cockpits. Hell make them only mountable on a 4 leg chassis.

I haven't seen a lot of this since my squad usually just plays co-op v CPU, but the splash damage radius in this game is ridiculous. One thing I wonder is if the splash damage is reduced the further away from the point of impact?

The problem sounds like theres on risk with these cannons - which is part of the joy I find in making my own hound. Every single hound I've created has forced me to take a weak point with it - whether it be low speed, no durability, low firepower, bad range etc. You can make a jack of all trades hound but then you sacrifice having a specific role and being able to do something really well. Yet these double doubles seem to suffer no risk and no drawback.

Artillery is great, in theory it should add a whole new level of depth to the game.
Problem is, current implementation got it backward, it is devastating at close range and not very useable as an indirect fire weapon.

I think that is a huge issue - maybe the rotation needs to be dialed down for artillery. There's no way they should have an advantage at close range unless they hit you directly. Yet if I'm trying to position myself around one I'm destroyed in a few shots because of the splash.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
I'm sorry thats just not true - the mp game involves a lot of different mechs. if you are talking deathmatch then of course not, but in the actual mp war there are a ton of options.

Taking combas, destroying bases, na's etc... all require more than a db.

Top Bottom