• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official GAF Chromehounds Squad Thread

Treo360

tahrikmili said:
I think altering all artillery weapons so that they can not aim below +30 degrees vertical would really fix a lot of the short range artillery-as-rocket problem, and make close quarters fighting more a machine gun, shotgun, rocket, assault rifle duel..

Which, IMO, would be a lot more fun.

Bingo! a great suggestion.

Chichikov

chespace said:
Well as evidence that you can indeed beat a double double in a 1v1, I just got my ass handed to me by a fairly fast, pure sniper. When we actually got into a fight, I had to work my way up a hill to get to him since firing an arcing weapon towards the top of a hill makes it very difficult to land shots. By the time I got up there, he had stripped one of my doubles (which happened to be my gun camera). I was screwed.

I actually sent him a msg saying nice game. :)
That’s a bit of straw man, isn’t it?
No one claimed they are unbeatable.
Overpowered != unbeatable.

Not that I think that a damn dirty DDB (I kid! I kid!) need my help, but a couple of things you could’ve done in that situation –
If you choose to fight a uphill (which you should obviously avoid if possible), try shooting below him at the edge of the ridge he’s on, it seems from my experience that splash ignore the ground and work pretty much on distance (not 100% sure about this, didn’t try it on 1 v 1 “training” matches, but I got rocked few times when I could’ve swore I was protected by the ridge).
I would also add a 2nd weapon group with the other DB as you camera.
Redundancy 4tw!

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Uh, thanks for the advice, folks.

It doesn't take a tactical genius to know where I F'ed up. I knew I was throwing the match when I started up that hill, but I didn't seem to mind.

At any rate, double doubles in 1v1 matches shouldn't pose much of a threat to people if you play smart.

Treo360

Hap . . where the hell are you?!?!?!?

We just got done with some awesome matches (Gash and I) Won a lot more than we lost (spikers).

One of our matches had us going up against a Rifler/NA and a DDB. We tried the Rope a Dope with the base but being as they had a Commander it didn't really fare out so well.

So I was shelling the "choke point" as the ddb was making his way towards our base, so I'm sniping the sh!t out of his legs first (to throw off stability) and then followed up with a Single barrel shot, and I kept alternating, and Gash got some shots in too. However it was looking like it wasn't doing him any harm, so then he gets range on our base and the shells start to fall.

So I'm frantically sizing up my shots, and start aiming at the DDB only, Snipe snipe, Boom (Single Barrel) repeat and rinse. it wasn't too long that our base starts to smoke heavily, then I focus on his other canon with my Epee. Snipe snipe . . at this point I wouldn't use my Single, would I?

Ha! I did however since I knew where the splash radius was I carefully aimed my shots so that damage to the base was minimal. Since he was heavily damaged it's not like he could've shot at a close distance to our base without taking damage and destroying himself.

Snipe, snipe, SB . . . .Boom dead. With our base hanging by a thread we went after the little NA who managed to stay alive just long enough. We won by Combas advantage, not the ideal way, but hey, winning is winning right?

It was fun stomping on the DDB's soldier from time to time.

Life's little pleasures.

Kingpen

chespace said:
Awesome games we played last night Kingpen. :)

BTW, Brigadiers, we're Sal Kar again. :p

Better go shopping.

Told ya, I learn every game.... I made another mech with the new assault rifles (3 shot burst) from the download and a sabre sniper just to keep things honest...

Also found out that the game provides me with a template to make my own personal Kingpen logo... awesome stuff...

Is any of the other new download parts worth the price?

Thanks for changing up the countries... I needed the parts...

Chichikov

Treo360 said:
Hap . . where the hell are you?!?!?!?
Where am I?
In the lobby.
Alone.
Sad.
Looking angrily at the one who shall remain nameless who plays Saints Row.

I even finished story mode just now.
see what you made me do?
Have you no sense of decency?

Seriously though, the 13th need some west coast loving.

Trasher

chespace said:
Well as evidence that you can indeed beat a double double in a 1v1, I just got my ass handed to me by a fairly fast, pure sniper. When we actually got into a fight, I had to work my way up a hill to get to him since firing an arcing weapon towards the top of a hill makes it very difficult to land shots. By the time I got up there, he had stripped one of my doubles (which happened to be my gun camera). I was screwed.

I actually sent him a msg saying nice game. :)
You should know better than that!

Set each cannon to a different setting, and then set both to a third setting.

chespace

Trasher said:
You should know better than that!

Set each cannon to a different setting, and then set both to a third setting.

Hey, that's a good idea. I really hadn't thought of that. Haha...

Good couple of games tonight with the Brigade. Will try to play during the later hours...

Trasher, when the hell are you going to get your shit fixed? I want to play 2v2s with you.

Trasher

Treo360 said:
Well that was your mistake right there.

"Ha! Give it up Anakin, I have the high ground."

Again the claim is that you can't beat a DDB is a bit of a misnomer. 1v1 with a faster more agile Mech (re: Sniper) isn't that hard. A little challenging, but not hard. Versus a squad of them? Different Story.
I don't know about the rest of you, but I complain about them not because they are "impossible to beat," but because they are boring to play against. I prefer to play people who are more skilled at their own kind of hound build. I'm not saying it doesn't take skill to be an effective DB'er, but at the moment most of the people who use them are quite bad. The sad thing is though that those people can still beat you pretty easily with the DB build if you make the mistake of getting too close.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
my problem is along those lines - its such a simple build, you can tell no thought or time went into making their mechs(which I think is a big part of the game). personally i love thinking up a whole new mech design and testing it out, one of the great things about this game. so many different options and builds. i see something new every time i play

Trasher

chespace said:
Hey, that's a good idea. I really hadn't thought of that. Haha...

Good couple of games tonight with the Brigade. Will try to play during the later hours...

Trasher, when the hell are you going to get your shit fixed? I want to play 2v2s with you.
As soon as I get to college, which is a few days away.

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
Chichikov said:
Where am I?
In the lobby.
Alone.
Sad.
Looking angrily at the one who shall remain nameless who plays Saints Row.

I even finished story mode just now.
see what you made me do?
Have you no sense of decency?

Seriously though, the 13th need some west coast loving.
Sorry dude... :lol

I finished it (again) so I'll be up for Crome Hounds again!

Vagrant said:
Well thats depressing. I'm really skeptical of how they would patch this game, there are a ton of factors that could make something like adding weight to these harder then say, just tweaking the strength of a gun in an FPS or something. Steel Battalion had a similar problem when people learned how to dupe special parts that flooded and destroyed its economy. Surprisingly Capcom actually fixed it with a patch and wiped everyones parts. Unfortunately I don't know if Sega/From can do that with CH because AFAIK all of your stuff is saved to your HD, unlike SB where your stuff was kept on Capcom's servers.

I guess the only other option if you don't want to constantly fight DDBs would be to start finding squads that also don't wanna play just DDBs and set up matches, the problem with that is setting up one group of people is hard enough, setting up two consistently could be a lot harder (not to mention fighting the same groups of people could get stale fast). Too bad there isn't any way to boot/ban enemy squads from your lobby, otherwise you could just message the other team and tell them no bipedal double double barrels allowed. If they didn't follow your rules you could have prevented them from playing in your room again with such a feature.
Ya, I suggested a similar DB/no-DB swith for lobby's two days ago as well when we were playing. Fat chance that's gonna happen though. :lol

come play againnnnn!!!

phinious

Anyone out there willing to give basic guides to building Mechs. Like maybe some basics for building a mech for each different RT?

It would be greatly apreciated. The learning curve for this game is making all my friends not want to play, so it would be a good resource to link to them!

Someone must want to share their building skills.

Trasher

phinious said:
Anyone out there willing to give basic guides to building Mechs. Like maybe some basics for building a mech for each different RT?

It would be greatly apreciated. The learning curve for this game is making all my friends not want to play, so it would be a good resource to link to them!

Skim through some older pages of the thread. A few people have posted pictures of their hounds.

phinious said:

Pro Tip 1-100

Group weapon sets as closely together as you possible can. Otherwise you will be wildly inaccurate if they require any kind of aiming.

I love seeing Pile Scouts with four piles spread across the entire width of the cockpit, meaning they might hit with one of them.

Pro Tip 101-200

DO NOT USE CATERPILLAR TREADS ("tank" treads). They're HUGE, have low stability, and are the biggest and easiest to hit targets in the game. You will be owned repeatedly for no other reason than the fact you chose a horrible wheel base. Rotation speed is totally not worth it since your legs will explode 2 seconds into combat (thus negating the rotation bonus anyway).

Chichikov

Pro Tip 2-b (Screw the man! I have my own counting system for pro-tips, that’s how I roll) -

Get a large cockpit.
The most common mistake I see people coming from the single player doing is sticking with a small and not very durable cockpit.
Granted, small cockpits have their use, and after you get some experience you’ll most likely like to employ them in some of your builds.
But as a neophyte hound driver, it’s a good idea to give you a bit more “alive” time to learn from your mistakes and get a feel for the game.

Pro Tip א-3
Commander Commander Commander.
Can’t stress it enough.
p.s.
COMMANDER.
Get one in your team.

phinious

sweet tips guys, Thanks... Keep em commin!

So anyone wanna become a Baby Shaker? so far Its just me and my best friend haha. We welcome any newB=)

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
LOL!!!! BEST GAME EVAR!!!!!!!

We played a 5 on 1, I stripped his weapons and we all group-humped him LOL

I sent hims a message and he was like "That was hilarious LOL".

Chichikov

Kobold said:
LOL!!!! BEST GAME EVAR!!!!!!!

We played a 5 on 1, I stripped his weapons and we all group-humped him LOL

I sent hims a message and he was like "That was hilarious LOL".
That was some funny shit.
I felt a tad bad for him.
Or I would’ve, if my soul wasn’t a piece of black coal.
Being dead on the inside has some benefits.

(I sent him a message afterwards, making sure it’s all in good humor)

Chichikov

and here’s a picture celebrating this momentous event:

09682930.jpg

Chichikov

Out of names have the most awesome hound designs.
Here’s his O-RLYBOT -
043138_O_RLY.jpg

His only weakness is his mortal enemy, the nefarious YA-RLY Hound.

He also has a kick-ass mega man and an amazing pac man.

My Arms Your Hearse said:
Pro Tip 101-200

DO NOT USE CATERPILLAR TREADS ("tank" treads). They're HUGE, have low stability, and are the biggest and easiest to hit targets in the game. You will be owned repeatedly for no other reason than the fact you chose a horrible wheel base. Rotation speed is totally not worth it since your legs will explode 2 seconds into combat (thus negating the rotation bonus anyway).

I think Spooka and I disproved that protip this evening.

pilonv1

The stability is the issue for me, especially if you're getting double doubled. They're not nearly as bad as stated above, and I've lasted a lot longer on treads than I have with inverse or standard legs. That said I'd only use them for the higher durablity for a purely defensive hound

Well it comes down to speed and load capacity vs a stability issue that can be compensated by a system setting board. If you take a hit from a double double, you're going to get rocked regardless of your wheelbase.

Spooka and I have heavily armored tank tread hounds with four Falchion cannons that shoot out shells that do 1800 pts of damage each with very little (if any) kickback. We can do as much damage as a double double but we have to actually hit 'em as opposed to the DDs that just have to get within 50 yards. I can get the speed up to 142 which is faster than your average DD out there plus I got a faster reload time, rotational boost, and I'm able to fire at angles that bi-peds can't.

Working in teams of 2, this set up can be deadly.

Kingpen

Sorry about abrutly bailing on you guys last night, my wife had something going on that I needed to tend to. Good games though!

Chichikov said:
Here’s his O-RLYBOT -
043138_O_RLY.jpg

We need to hook up online so we can exchange that hound detail data. <thumbs up>. I love this game!! I hope you guys have you using the radte room functionality of this game. I've gotten some pretty good hounds desgins from my squad members.

Kordos

My Arms Your Hearse said:
They need to tone down the "disorientaiton" effect, or at least diminish it the further you are away from the where the shells hit. I can get hit for 2 points of splash damage and I still bounce around like mad. In fact, if they got rid of this entirely, I don't think I'd care about the rest of the bullshit, because at least I could fire back!

FYI, not sure if this has been discussed, but the hound variable that affects this is called "Aim Stability". Aim Stability affects how disoriented you get when you take damage.

This is totally different from normal "Stability", which affects kickback when you fire your own weapon(s).

One of the three System Device types affects Aim Stability, but to be honest I usually sacrifice it because I haven't noticed much of a difference. I haven't done any formal testing though -- would be curious to hear others observations been about the value of Aim Stability.

Also, on the topic of the new micropayment downloadables -- I think the light cannon is "special" because it supports 6 ammo types (and of course the only one that matters is the level 3 CE rounds). Not sure I've seen any other cannons that have more than two types (KE and CE).

Personally, I'm running 4 of the new cannons w/ max-CE rounds on a medium mech with a bunch of strategically-positioned shields, and enjoying it. Props to the Brigade for the fun last night, even though I was only around for one match.

-Kordos

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Kordos said:
FYI, not sure if this has been discussed, but the hound variable that affects this is called "Aim Stability". Aim Stability affects how disoriented you get when you take damage.

This is totally different from normal "Stability", which affects kickback when you fire your own weapon(s).

One of the three System Device types affects Aim Stability, but to be honest I usually sacrifice it because I haven't noticed much of a difference. I haven't done any formal testing though -- would be curious to hear others observations been about the value of Aim Stability.

Also, on the topic of the new micropayment downloadables -- I think the light cannon is "special" because it supports 6 ammo types (and of course the only one that matters is the level 3 CE rounds). Not sure I've seen any other cannons that have more than two types (KE and CE).

Personally, I'm running 4 of the new cannons w/ max-CE rounds on a medium mech with a bunch of strategically-positioned shields, and enjoying it. Props to the Brigade for the fun last night, even though I was only around for one match.

-Kordos

eh i am not sure about your aim stability info, but your regular stability info is correct. However, I do know that stability is far more important than aim stability, have seen very little difference using the 1/35/4 weapon chips

As for the new cannons, both the falcions and analece's support the 6 types of ammo with the max ce damage, weight less, and have a faster reloading time.

phinious

Anyone else link up Assault rifles to sniper rifles so that they can use the camera on the assault rifle? I do that so I can snipe people that are midrange much easier as an alternative link.

Trasher

phinious said:
Anyone else link up Assault rifles to sniper rifles so that they can use the camera on the assault rifle? I do that so I can snipe people that are midrange much easier as an alternative link.
I've done that too, but rifles and mid-range snipers are so bad that I just hated it.\

Edit: Oh my bad, thought you meant something else. I did it the opposite way. I'll have to try your way sometime. :)

phinious

Yeah I recommend trying it. It works great. That way you have different zoom distances on your sniper rifles=) Kinda a lame trick, but helps me alot.

chespace

phinious said:
Yeah I recommend trying it. It works great. That way you have different zoom distances on your sniper rifles=) Kinda a lame trick, but helps me alot.

Actually, yeah, linking up an assault rifle to your Sabres and using the AR as the camera might be cool for using sniper cannons in close combat without zooming way the hell in. You can basically have two configurations, one with Sabres as the camera, and another with the AR as the camera.

Lately, I've been happy to see a lot of people start to pick up on the lethal power of light cannons (Flanberg, Anelace, Falchion). If you equip 6 of them on a medium speed hound, and cycle through 3 sets of 2 cannons each, you can basically sustain accurate cannon fire continuously -- devastating against double doubles who have to wait for reloads.

Of course, the catch is that to use cannons, you actually have to have a semblance of skill.

For my latest builds, I've been playing around with my usual 144-150 speed hound chassis w/ armor over the cockpit. Latest weapon loadouts I've been using have been a double flanberg or anelace set with a triple light Morskoj howitzers that do 1900 CE plus splash per round. Pretty good for splashing and disorienting folks in close combat while I hit them with my light cannons.

Spooka

chespace said:
Lately, I've been happy to see a lot of people start to pick up on the lethal power of light cannons (Flanberg, Anelace, Falchion). If you equip 6 of them on a medium speed hound, and cycle through 3 sets of 2 cannons each, you can basically sustain accurate cannon fire continuously -- devastating against double doubles who have to wait for reloads.

Of course, the catch is that to use cannons, you actually have to have a semblance of skill.

For my latest builds, I've been playing around with my usual 144-150 speed hound chassis w/ armor over the cockpit. Latest weapon loadouts I've been using have been a double flanberg or anelace set with a triple light Morskoj howitzers that do 1900 CE plus splash per round. Pretty good for splashing and disorienting folks in close combat while I hit them with my light cannons.

Yeah, Pocketfudge and myself are fans of the falchion cannons with the 1800 KE rounds. I use 2 sets of 2 and just load up with as much armor as possible on the 5300 load tarakia tank treads. So I have the capability of kicking out 7200 KE damage every 4 seconds or so with a speed of 150. You can still put out a pretty constant rate of fire you just need to set up your shots a little more. About a month ago I was using 3 sets of 2 but I've found the trade off for having more amor is worth it because its always going to be a pretty close range battle with cannons.

Last night I was messing around with adding a little HE mortar just to see if I could disrupt the aim a bit of the ddbs when closing with them but I havent tried it yet. I think most of our losses are more from the complete lack of tactics than the enemy playing cheap or using overpowered parts. The Pocketfudge/Spooka combo was winning while outnumbered the other night pretty consitantly just by using some common sense and superior positioning. Just by both attacking one enemy at a time (even if coming under fire from others) and positioning ourselves so that we were always on, or trying to be on, opposite sides of the enemy(and forcing them to turn their back on one of us - exposing the cockpit usually) we were able to deal with them quite fast.

chespace

Spooka said:
The Pocketfudge/Spooka combo was winning while outnumbered the other night pretty consitantly just by using some common sense and superior positioning. Just by both attacking one enemy at a time (even if coming under fire from others) and positioning ourselves so that we were always on, or trying to be on, opposite sides of the enemy(and forcing them to turn their back on one of us - exposing the cockpit usually) we were able to deal with them quite fast.

DING DING DING!

Let's play, Brigadiers. Later tonight.

Chichikov

chespace said:
You will also be pretty much standing still.
Non moving hound drivers tend to have a much higher rates on their life insurance.

chespace

Chichikov said:
You will also be pretty much standing still.
Non moving hound drivers tend to have a much higher rates on their life insurance.

True, but as long as you're hitting them with your cannons, your opponent can't move either. :)

I just played a free battle where I pwned a double double at close range. Just kept firing at him between my 3 sets of Anelace till he popped. After which he disconnected. :p

Chichikov said:
Here’s his O-RLYBOT -
043138_O_RLY.jpg

I've never seen my hound in HD before. o_O I need pics of my megaman, bomberman, and pacman hounds stat. I really need a new T.V that pic of you guys humping that guy look like a different game.

Why do people use KE rounds on cannons? CE is much more effective in virtually every situation.

I've been using the Falchions since I landed in Tarakia a few days ago, but I have my reservations. Even on the most stable Inverse Legs in the game, if my legs are hurt/gone or my generator is damaged, they kick like a mother, severely affecting my aim. My Sal Kar Cannons, while slightly less powerful, are far far more accurate. I'm sure the Flanbergs help a bit, but they simply weigh (and do comparatively too little damage) too much to be all that effective (I use 6 cannons most of the time). The Anelace models are 18000x times worse as far as kickback, but man that reoad time for the damage is sweet (though honestly as you have to adjust your aim with every shot 3250 is plenty on the Falchions).

And yes, stopping with every shot is lame, but Cannons are totally worth it. Most of the Hounds that are threads to a cannon user also are forced to stop on fire, too, so it balanced out. And there is very little that can win vs. Cannons in an outright slugfest.

Also, Che, why use 3 sets of 2 Anelace cannons? Can you not fit 6 Falchions on your Hound? Must be, as with three sets of two you will never have to wait on reload (I often use 2 sets of 3 and I don't have to wait on reload), they do more damage, and are more accurate.

Kingpen

chespace said:
DING DING DING!

Let's play, Brigadiers. Later tonight.

I'll be on....

I want to start experimenting with the sniper or heavy gunner class, or even a defender.... I feel that my value to the team might be better if I hang back and snipe or hang around the base... I did that in a battle last night, and I had 2 double doubles focusing all their attention on me on the ridge as I would move and dodge their fire, and I think it allowed our other team members to go and wreck some havic on their base....

I don't think I have the experience yet in aiming and quickness to not just be a sucker and march right into a double double and then get toasted.

What is the general opinion on what type of speed I should have with a sniper?

Also, I hear talk about weapons being overpowered, such as double canons and heat missles.. What exactly is the model type and number of the heat seeking missles? I must have missed them in the shops...

Chichikov

Kingpen said:
What is the general opinion on what type of speed I should have with a sniper?
Speed shouldn’t be your first priority as a sniper, even at 130 you should be able to dodge opposing sniper fire.
Kingpen said:
Also, I hear talk about weapons being overpowered, such as double canons and heat missles.. What exactly is the model type and number of the heat seeking missles? I must have missed them in the shops...

seekers:
People generally complain about all the heat seeking missiles, which are every heavy arms missile launcher.
While they are annoying and take zero skill to use, I don’t think they’re unbalanced.
If they only have 1 launcher, a counter should render them mostly harmless.
And the "telephone poles" (track chassis, 3 launchers stacked on each other and a light cockpit on top) are pretty slow, just shoot the track and stay outside their range.

DDB:
Heavy arm canon with two barrels, there are few of those (only Moskorj I think), but people mostly use the free download part that was released a while back.

Trasher

chespace said:
True, but as long as you're hitting them with your cannons, your opponent can't move either. :)

I just played a free battle where I pwned a double double at close range. Just kept firing at him between my 3 sets of Anelace till he popped. After which he disconnected. :p
What a pussy.

Top Bottom