• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official GAF Chromehounds Squad Thread

Ashodin

All 13th - I'm on right now, so let's get some game on before the Wii event!

All those who wish to join, check the first post of this thread - search for that Squad name, and I'll be there to induct you in, we have

4 spots open.

btr, you're welcome to come back ;)

Crap, my roommate is playing Mega Man Anniversary collection on the 360 TV.

I'll come on in a bit to join. Or is it possible for you to send me an invite? Viscen

OK, thanks.

So how does the online work, exactly? Do I need to have a squadmate online in order to play, or can I play on my own? I have a friend who has the game, but isn't in a squad. Can I play with him? Can he join in on games with our squad, or does he have to join the squad too?

edit: He just finished, I'm coming online now. Don't laugh at my POS mech.

Ashodin

It works like such:

Online lobbies are either created by you, or hosted by someone else.

Since I am the first one in the lobby, I'm hosting the lobby.

You can play against bots or 1 on 1 matches by yourself once you're in the Squad.

If your friend has the game, he can also join the same squad and play with him, however, I think the only way to play with him outside of a squad is free battle, where you can invite him to the game you're playing.

Anyone outside of a squad cannot join games with someone inside of a squad (outside of free battle, of course).

So... is online pretty much useless if your Squad isn't on? I tried doing a game search and there were 0 people in every match... am I doing something wrong?

-Rogue5-

I finally got it, too... Let me know when and where and I'll serve as a distraction to divert attention/enemy fire -- Operation Human Sheild style.

I'm going to try and rip through the single player game and get a little experience and then bring it online where Ol' Painless is waiting.

Che and people don't kick me from the squad please. My 360 died =[ I'm waiting for the coffin to come to send it back in to get my replacement.. I will be back killing soon I hope.

Holy hell do I hate heavy gunning. Every role up to this point I've got almost all S ranks, but with heavy gunning, I've only got one S (and that was after failing the mission 5 times). I keep running out of ammo on the last mission in this campaign... driving me crazy!

Chichikov

If you’re gunning for rank S for the achievement, more power to you.
But if you’re concerned about the parts, don’t sweat it, you can get better ones online.

Grifter

I just got this, can I get in on the squad?

Only played single player so far but it sounds like I can skip that...anyone wanna lend some guidance on starting up on Live?

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Emm.., I'm finally getting my 360 next week, are people still actively playing chromehounds or I should give this one a pass?

-Rogue5-

KimiSan said:
Emm.., I'm finally getting my 360 next week, are people still actively playing chromehounds or I should give this one a pass?

I think it has kind of cooled down, but there are quite a few of us that have just got it... maybe we can start our own squad or better still, resume the role of the 13th... Keep it alive, so to speak.

Chichikov said:
If you’re gunning for rank S for the achievement, more power to you.
But if you’re concerned about the parts, don’t sweat it, you can get better ones online.

I'm not really (though I might pick up the last couple S ranks for the roles I like), I was just using that as an illustration of my complete suckitude at heavy gunning.

So, what happens if you leave a squad? Do you lose the rank you accumulated while you were in the squad?

I really need to get the **** out of Taraki and into Sal Kar... but it seems this war is going ot stretch on for ages. I'm pretty sure I could use my "two week" switch were I to leave the squad I'm in, but I don't really feel like losing my rank either.

Chichikov

My Arms Your Hearse said:
So, what happens if you leave a squad? Do you lose the rank you accumulated while you were in the squad?

I really need to get the **** out of Taraki and into Sal Kar... but it seems this war is going ot stretch on for ages. I'm pretty sure I could use my "two week" switch were I to leave the squad I'm in, but I don't really feel like losing my rank either.
You don’t lose anything (outside the contribution rate statistic).
But I’m not sure as to how those two weeks are calculated.

raYne

My Arms Your Hearse said:

You keep the rank, but lose the contribution percentage (obviously).

Thanks... that is what I thought.

I'm a one man squad, anyway.

Oh bleh, this bullshit again. I haven't switched in over two weeks, either via my capital being destroyed, the war ending, or by using the loner switch. Ugh.

Jesus ****ing christ. Someone please destroy the Tarakian capital PLEASE. It's rather sad that Tarakia had all of Morskoj defeated and only like two cities left in Sal Kar and now it's back to nearly even.

rastex

Banned
Woo! Go Sal Kar!

Anyway, it seems I fought against Drohne today, which would have been cool if I had known it at the time. I never look at who I'm fighting. He probably beat me though because I suck. Well I figured out a good config for me now though, so I'm happy.

Jonnyram

platypotamus said:
Holy hell do I hate heavy gunning. Every role up to this point I've got almost all S ranks, but with heavy gunning, I've only got one S (and that was after failing the mission 5 times). I keep running out of ammo on the last mission in this campaign... driving me crazy!
If you just want to get the S ranks for the achievement, I read you can do all the HG stuff as a sniper (apart from the first stage, where you can't move). Sniper can get the high average distance needed for S ranks while being ultra accurate. Just BYOH.

Kingpen

From the way things seem to have gone, it looks like Chromehounds might be waning in interest over here. I hardly see any of the regulars on anymore, and I have a new hockey league I'm going to be heading up over here. I don't think the game is very fun playing 1 on 1 against double doubles and spikers all the time.

I very much enjoyed my time playing with the Brigade when we had multiplayer sessions. Please boot me out of the squad to make room for someone else.

rastex

Banned
I think we need to consolidate the people here. Maybe have another roll-call for people who are still playing. I just started playing, and it's starting to get tiring doing 1-on-1s. I want to play the REAL game with a full squad.

Brannon

Yeah, whenever I get on now I do free battles. Weapon abuse is fun! People are using double doubles less and less in free battles, basically because it just doesn't matter.

-Rogue5-

rastex said:
I think we need to consolidate the people here. Maybe have another roll-call for people who are still playing. I just started playing, and it's starting to get tiring doing 1-on-1s. I want to play the REAL game with a full squad.

Seconded.

rastex

Banned
-Rogue5- said:
Seconded.

Funny enough, right after making that post I had a few great sessions. I've made a loadout that is extremely specialized, but quite versatile in what I accomplish.

It's quite simple really:
Hover or roller base
lightest cockpit
lightest generator
4 machine guns, and some shields

This lets me zip around the map pretty quickly. And I can win in all the 3 ways. I can take out the base. I can fight and kill the enemy hound, and I'm fast enough that I can win on COMBAS.

This gives me a lot of choice which in turn let's me really mess with people's heads. And that's exactly what I did today. The last guy I rushed his base, but he was there, so I fought him a bit and then took off, and then captured most of the COMBAS on the level. I think he was paranoid about me rushing his base again so he stuck around there and I won on the points. It was great.

It's not a fool-proof method though. One shot and I'm pretty much done, so I have to be very careful and fighting guys is VERY intense. But it definitely suits my style of play much better because I hate lumbering around the map.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
a hover or wheel chassis with an na maker and something that can kill bases is pretty close to foolproof in solo games -- you just have to know the map -- but it's in pretty poor taste to play that way. yeah, you can bore your opponent for 15 minutes and come away with some merit points, but there's no fun in it for anyone.

edit: i'm still playing lots of chromehounds, but mostly solo and at weird hours. if people in the squad are still playing regularly, i can log on earlier. the squads should really consolidate -- i doubt they've got 20 members between them who still routinely play.

rastex

Banned
drohne said:
a hover or wheel chassis with an na maker and something that can kill bases is pretty close to foolproof in solo games -- you just have to know the map -- but it's in pretty poor taste to play that way. yeah, you can bore your opponent for 15 minutes and come away with some merit points, but there's no fun in it for anyone.

It was fun for me :(

The problem is that as a solo-person I just feel so ineffectual in the damn war. And when I tried playing the "fun" way I constantly got my ass kicked, so I had to be smart and improvise, now it's no longer "fun"? Thta's lame. And when I do win I get barely any points for it, I barely raise in rank (I'm still a Recruit) and have no effect on land control.

Geez, and I thought I was good at mech games.

raYne

rastex said:
Funny enough, right after making that post I had a few great sessions. I've made a loadout that is extremely specialized, but quite versatile in what I accomplish.

It's quite simple really:
Hover or roller base
lightest cockpit
lightest generator
4 machine guns, and some shields

This lets me zip around the map pretty quickly. And I can win in all the 3 ways. I can take out the base. I can fight and kill the enemy hound, and I'm fast enough that I can win on COMBAS.

I have a similar setup for that purpose.
-Hover base
-Medium Dur cockpit
-Generator
-4 Machineguns
-Smokebomb
-NA Radar jammer
-300+ speed

Quick enough to dodge all heavy weapons. Durable enough to take some hits if needed. Plus I'm "invisible" with the NA jammer unless I'm in your LOS... and if I am, the smokebomb will make if nearly impossible to hit me before I get out of it.

Smokebomb + NA jammer makes for an amazing combination. I call it the Bampf. It rocks. :D

drohne

chromehounds has a long learning curve -- it must have been 15 hours before i'd built anything halfway effective. but the rewards of building a mech that can fight are substantial. and building a versatile mech that can handle any opposing build is inexhaustibly challenging and rewarding, and is, i think, the particular fun of solo neroimus war.

combas captures and basekilling certainly have a place in team strategy, but playing solo with the intention of waiting the game out or taking a base? i dunno -- seems lame on a number of levels. i really don't understand why people try to kill bases without an na maker -- then your whole "strategy" is to hope that your opponent is impatient or inattentive.

edit: and i have to wonder about people who can't kill hover guys with machineguns -- it's just a question of leading the right distance and hitting once or twice. fast bipedal guys with machine guns can juke all over the place and prove a real nuisance. and hover guys with mortars can put some pressure on a bigger hound.

rastex

Banned
Well if you're not trying to rush their base then it can be a pain in the ass to find the other player. And using 2 other ways is not lame because the opponent should come into the match with the same knowledge. So if I rush the base, I have to take into consideration that he'll rush mine. If he doesn't and I run off when I see him defending his base, then he should know that I'm gonna go for COMBAS. At which point he might try to take my base while I'm distracted, or he'll fight for COMBAS as well, where we'll probably tango again. Or he'll go for COMBAS, and I'll go for the base.

The point where it's lame, is when you hae a mech that's specialized to fighting and can't do anything else base or COMBAS wise, and artificially narrow the gameplay to just fighting, thus taking away all of that strategy I lined out above.

Anyway, more people will start to use my tactics because they're successful and working, so the way the game plays will probably change soon enough. Hell, just look at raYne.

drohne

i've played about a thousand neroimus war games, most of them solo, and i can tell you that basekilling without an na maker isn't a strong tactic -- if your opponent's got the discipline to watch his base for a couple minutes, it won't work. and people who basekill or capture combas with an na maker are always going to be a small minority, simply because it's a boring way to play.

i'm thrilled if someone just rushes my base without knowing where i am -- easy kill nine times out of ten. if someone has an na maker, grabs combas until i appear on radar, and then sprints for my base...well, he'll probably win if he's on a suitable map, and i'll roll my eyes and move on.

I'll be leaving my current group and joining the Gaf group this evening. My GT: Unemplizoid

Mech number: 78

I run primarily as a heavy gunner.
Tread base
Medium cockpit
Light generator
4 howitzers
2 miniguns
2 assault rifles.

Top speed of 146.

If it's at all possible, could I get a cash donation so I can pimp my hound a bit?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
more postcards from the battle front (has everyone stopped playing?!)

255677393_ca3f86ef71_b.jpg

255676766_b59059d55a_b.jpg

255676303_3ccf6b5790_b.jpg

255677975_b219390e1a_b.jpg

drohne

man, i haven't been on in like a week. any neogaf brigadiers up for some games this evening? i've got some stuff to do just now, but i'll be on in an hour and a half. or so.

raYne

DCharlie said:
I think everyones playing is based on whether or not Che or Max are online. So since neither are on anymore the respective squads went mia.

That said, you can tell that the majority of players have moved on, since the last war took much longer than normal.

I still play almost daily though...

We need to get this going again. I've got more time this week and most weekends free into the forseeable future. TDU has been taking the majority of my time but I'm down for a good battle.

-Rogue5-

DCharlie said:

Stopped playing? I haven't even started... I told myself I wasn't going to play online until I finished the singleplayer campaign and it's been one hell of a rough go. If you're still playing this game profusely let me (and the rest of GAF) know and I'll join your squad.

drohne

this didn't work the last time, but anybody up for some sunday night chromehounds? i'll be on at ~9 pst.

g23

European pre-madonna
yep..Armored Core 4 for me... I think in Chromehounds is a more team based game then Armored Core.

Top Bottom