• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official GAF Chromehounds Squad Thread

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
im sure if we could only pick one, we'd all pick VOOT.

Survey says .......... X

So with Sal Kar falling, and the server reboot today (18th) I assume we'll be starting War 3?

if that's the case lets make sure we're all on the same side so i can feel some GAF warhound love.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
DCharlie said:
Survey says .......... X

So with Sal Kar falling, and the server reboot today (18th) I assume we'll be starting War 3?

if that's the case lets make sure we're all on the same side so i can feel some GAF warhound love.

I'd like to give Tarakia another try so hopefully Tokyopia and the 13th will join Tarakia.

raYne

I was screwing around in the Mech Assembly trying to come up with a 4th hound and ended up making something dubbed the "Longneck". It's a sniper variant that allows me to look over hills/buildings. I switched each sniper rifle to a seperate weapons system so I can maintain a constant barrage of sniper fire... and with 70+ shots per rifle, that's a long ass barrage. Plus it has both night and thermal vision.. :lol!

It's obviously a first strike/support mech though, since if anyone gets close to me I'm ****ed since I can't aim that low. Though it's a shame that they have height limits. If not, I could probably see the whole battlefield without moving.

chespace said:
I'd like to give Tarakia another try so hopefully Tokyopia and the 13th will join Tarakia.
The 13th was already in Tarakia. It just seems like a lot of the nation abandoned ship near the end. :/

chespace

raYne said:
I was screwing around in the Mech Assembly trying to come up with a 4th hound and ended up making something dubbed the "Longneck". It's a sniper variant that allows me to look over buildings. I switched each sniper rifle to a seperate weapons system so I can maintain a constant barrage of sniper fire... and with 70+ shots per rifle, that's a long ass barrage. Plus it has both night and thermal vision.. :lol!

It's obviously a first strike/support mech though, since if anyone gets close to me I'm ****ed since I can't aim that low.

The 13th was already in Tarakia. It just seems like a lot of the nation abandoned ship near the end. :/

Sweet, I'd like to see you use that in action.

I love how where you place the weapons in this game actually affect accuracy based on the spread of the linked weapons. I put 4 linked anti-hound cannons on my right arm once and firing the cluster would turn my torso almost 90 degrees to the right just with the recoil alone. Very disorienting, and obviously, not as good as having 4 cannons in one central cluster on the top of your head or 2 on each arm, etc.

God this game is so deep. :)

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
chespace said:

I love how where you place the weapons in this game actually affect accuracy based on the spread of the linked weapons. I put 4 linked anti-hound cannons on my right arm once and firing the cluster would turn my torso almost 90 degrees to the right just with the recoil alone. Very disorienting, and obviously, not as good as having 4 cannons in one central cluster on the top of your head or 2 on each arm, etc.

What about the phallus that is that center mounted Bastard of yours? :lol

IJoel

I really need to finish Prey tonight to get my Chromehounds fix pronto. I've done the first 2 missions (Soldier and Sniper,) and can't wait for online goodness. But I gotta finish Prey before the rental period's over... *shakes fist*

raYne

chespace said:

Yeah, I tried to use sniper cannons in this variant, but after each round it'd throw my aim up 40 degrees. It's not that difficult to re-adjust after each shot, but losing sight of the target for the given time is annoying. For now I just stuck to regular snipers and see which is the better way to go.

I've done your method in the past as well. I linked a bunch of stuff together on a heavy/defensive Hound and was ready to own everything. Then I head to the trial level and my first shot spins me all over the place. :lol

IJoel

raYne said:
Yeah, I tried to use sniper cannons in this variant, but after each round it'd throw my aim up 40 degrees. It's not that difficult to re-adjust after each shot, but losing sight of the target for the given time is annoying. For now I just stuck to regular snipers and see which is the better way to go.

I've done your method in the past as well. I linked a bunch of stuff together on a heavy/defensive Hound and was ready to own everything. Then I head to the trial level and my first shot spins me all over the place. :lol

If you use sniper weapons, you can compensate by using stronger support (legs.) Essentially it's a trade off.

raYne

IJoel said:
If you use sniper weapons, you can compensate by using stronger support (legs.) Essentially it's a trade off.
Did that, but I'm not willing to use the heavier four legged and treaded legs since they take away too much height for my liking (and that's the point of this mech).

I'm pretty sure that the height itself is contributing to the instability as well.

chespace

raYne said:
Did that, but I'm not willing to use the heavier four legged and treaded legs since they take away too much height for my liking (and that's the point of this mech).

I'm pretty sure that the height itself is contributing to the instability as well.

As for height, you can add a couple of spacers to get some really high sniping action going. :)

Might be really good for urban environments. or even to snipe from a hillside but not have your hound exposed to return fire. Unless someone snipes your sniper rifles, lol.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
raYne said:

You can also try to frontload your mech with armor plates to offset the kick as well.

raYne

chespace said:
As for height, you can add a couple of spacers to get some really high sniping action going. :)
Where to you think the "Longneck" comes from? :p I have a few spacers hooked up on top of each other. I'm currently using the angular type, which is the 3rd available.

Schafer said:
You can also try to frontload your mech with armor plates to offset the kick as well.
Does that actually work? Hmmm... :)

chespace

Maxrpg said:
You guys need to fight at Mortlake.

All squads assemble there, they are taking over the Cecil Plains, the Morskoj.

Getting ready to hop online now.

DCharlie

you bastards... i'm at work... by the time i get home, the servers will be down as per the schedule :(

SonnyBoy

DCharlie said:
you bastards... i'm at work... by the time i get home, the servers will be down as per the schedule :(

QFT!

Will I still be able to play with you guys even though all the slots in the clan are taken?

Dr_Cogent

Banned
I really wish they would release a demo of the damn game for the States.

I know, I know about the trick. Just don't care to bother.

raYne

Dr_Cogent said:
I really wish they would release a demo of the damn game for the States.
The demo is pretty blah and would do more harm than good. Not that the reviews helped either...

SonnyBoy

I have the rental at my house and its be "ok" thus far. Im hoping to experience the game with gaffers but nobody was on earlier. I think thats the only thing that will make me buy this game.

Can non members participate in the matches?

DCharlie

well, i wrote that mini-review on one of these pages when i'd not tried the online and i gave the game a big fat "meh"

But man, me and the wife were talking about it last night, online it's awesome to the point of it possibly being the best Xbox game to date (outside of Oblivion)

Never has a mech game stirred such feelings in the depths of my shorts.

raYne

Dr_Cogent said:
The reviews are primarily why I have avoided it.
The reviewers also never delved into the online mode. Online is the selling point of the game, and it's a HUGE one. That along with the mech customization which isn't really used in the single player either.

Not to mention the game is beautiful when you're battling in some of the online "towns". Especially at night without nightvision. OMG the lighting!

As DCharlie and everyone else have said. Offline? eh... Online? hawtness.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
raYne said:
The reviewers also never delved into the online mode. Online is the selling point of the game, and it's a HUGE one. That along with the mech customization which isn't really used in the single player either.

Not to mention the game is beautiful when you're battling in some of the online "towns". Especially at night without nightvision. OMG the lighting!

As DCharlie and everyone else have said. Offline? eh... Online? hawtness.

Damn reviewers doing a half ass job reviewing! Gotta get it out there quick! F##k being accurate!

raYne

shuri said:
WHAT! I'm in Sal Kar! :(
"!"

Get 'im boys!

White Man said:
Okay, I'm online, how do I join a squad.
NeoGaf brigade is still full as far as I know, but GAFHound (ie 13th GAFHND SQD) still has spots available.

Just head on Live, click on Join squad and type "13th GAFHND SQD" in the search for the squad name category. The password should be X Y LT RT. The the currently online members will accept your request etc. After that you should be taken directly to the squad server.

If it's empty they're probably on a mission. So you can start mech building or whatever 'till they get back.

Or you could do the oposite of Longneck, and have a sniper between your legs !!

...ok so a sniper wasnt the best thing i coulda put there, but im sure something would work good under there :p

Jeff-DSA

Tonight was pretty fun and a pretty good night for the NeoGAF Brigade. We had enough guys online that we were running two matches at a time pretty consistently. At one point I got left out of a game and I decided to take on a solo mission. It was one of the most intense moments I've ever had online.

I cranked up the difficulty and went out against the CPU solo. I knew that I had to be ammo conservative since I was going to have to take down the base myself. Well, as my luck had it, I the last base I checked was the right one. I went crazy pouring everything I had in the base as my ammo dwindled. Eventually all I had left was a rifle and about 2 minutes to go. Seeing that I'd never finish the job in time I went out and started to draw fire (intentionally) towards me with their automatic guns and moved around enough that they were hitting the base when they missed me. With 3 seconds left the base finally went kaboom, and I finished the mission with every gun either disabled or out of ammo. My mech was probably 5-10 more seconds from being totally destroyed as well.

This game effin' rules. If you've been holding out, GO OUT AND BUY CHROMEHOUNDS!

Jeff-DSA

NeoGAF Brigade members, help me to round out the names of the roster so we can match NeoGAF names with the XBL names we see online.

Oh, and here's that blog I set up to act as a reference for the list of names and random crap: http://neogafbrigade.blogspot.com/

If anybody is into posting any cool stories or experiences on the blog, PM me the text and I'll update the blog with a post. I'll credit the author at the end. If that's just a bit too geeky for you all, we can at least use the blog to keep track of the current NeoGAF Brigade squad list. Just PM me of any changes that come up...

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Jeff-DSA said:
NeoGAF Brigade members, help me to round out the names of the roster so we can match NeoGAF names with the XBL names we see online.

Oh, and here's that blog I set up to act as a reference for the list of names and random crap: http://neogafbrigade.blogspot.com/

If anybody is into posting any cool stories or experiences on the blog, PM me the text and I'll update the blog with a post. I'll credit the author at the end. If that's just a bit too geeky for you all, we can at least use the blog to keep track of the current NeoGAF Brigade squad list. Just PM me of any changes that come up...

Jeff,

Scaramanga OS gave up his spot for another GAFfer so you can take his name off the roster.

Jeff-DSA

DenogginizerOS said:
Jeff,

Scaramanga OS gave up his spot for another GAFfer so you can take his name off the roster.

Done. Thanks for the notice.

By the way, what's the link to check the status of the war from the internet? I'm at work and I'd like to keep tabs on what is going on.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
SonnyBoy said:
Ill take his spot if its available.

Do you have to earn the part for your mech via the solo campaign?

You can earn parts in single player or buy them online. Single at least gets you more comfortable with different units.

SonnyBoy

Musashi Wins! said:
You can earn parts in single player or buy them online. Single at least gets you more comfortable with different units.

Cool. I have the rental at my hosue and if its anything like you guys make it out to be Im going to purchase it ASAP. I need something to hold me off till Madden drops and I love working coop with great players. Ill be on tonight and looking forward to being shown the ropes.

sammy

ugghh... i wasn't much help last night, my connection got really wonky ----- gotta have the cable guy come check it out this weekend.

though I can still do CPU fights, I'm having troubles connecting to competitors far far away --- maybe this is a server issue, but I'll be doing a few 1 on 1's if i can't connect.

Tabs

This thread should not be on the 2nd page :) Last night was a lot of fun again. We had our first team quit on us (after we blew up their HQ), which I didn't think was possible. So we got no credit and no money out of it. Seems like it's really hard to get a match against humans, so we fought a bunch of higher level CPU opponents.

Jeff-DSA

Trav said:
This thread should not be on the 2nd page :) Last night was a lot of fun again. We had our first team quit on us (after we blew up their HQ), which I didn't think was possible. So we got no credit and no money out of it. Seems like it's really hard to get a match against humans, so we fought a bunch of higher level CPU opponents.

I've been hearing that quitting is becoming an issue. Hopefully the server update that's planned is going to institute some sort of penalty for squads that disconnect.

Top Bottom