• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official GAF Chromehounds Squad Thread

Marty Chinn said:
So I was about to go pick up the game until I read this:

Is it really that easy to screw up and be screwed or is this guy just an idiot? Any other gotchas I should know about before I pick up and play the game?

He's a little bit WONGheaded about the subject. :)D ) I haven't tried to totally start from scratch so I can't comment on that. The news messages are a little annoying when you want to get right in on the action but they're really not that bad.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Marty Chinn said:

sucks for that guy, but i don't see why it'd discourage you from buying the game -- just...uh...don't do what he did.

and i think that guy will be able to recover fairly quickly -- if he just goes through one role type in singleplayer, he'll have enough parts to build a decent mech, and once you're online money comes easy.

drohne said:
sucks for that guy, but i don't see why it'd discourage you from buying the game -- just...uh...don't do what he did.

and i think that guy will be able to recover fairly quickly -- if he just goes through one role type in singleplayer, he'll have enough parts to build a decent mech, and once you're online money comes easy.

I just wanted to make sure that there weren't other little things I should know about that could ruin the experience. That would ruin it IMO.

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
Also I'm noticing it's more effective to play six 1 vs 1 matches, because you get 80 or so points, instead of the 80 or so points you get for one 6 vs 6 player match!

Am I noticing this correct? They gotta fix the debriefing thing, because it's hard to see how much you actually won, etc. It's totally broken...

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Marty Chinn said:

Is it really that easy to screw up and be screwed or is this guy just an idiot? Any other gotchas I should know about before I pick up and play the game?

Guy is a total idiot. His first mistake is not knowing that you don't have hounds, you have parts and blueprints. You can have 1 hound assembled in the garage at a time. All your parts come from a pool of parts so it's kind of like building legos from a pool of resources you already have, except in CH, you can save that blueprint.

Second of all, yes, you have to commit to a one of three nations. And no, you cannot defect constantly (once every 2 weeks). I like this aspect of the game.

Money is easy as hell to come by in the online game, and if you play through half of the single player missions, you will have more than enough parts to build a variety of powerful mechs. Once you have those parts, you will have them forever, unless you trade them away. When you go online, you can bring those parts into your online game. You can do this repeatedly until you unlock all the parts in single player. Unlocking parts offline is awesome because when you're committed to a country, you can only buy parts manufactured from that country, which limits your style and weapons.

chespace said:
Guy is a total idiot. His first mistake is not knowing that you don't have hounds, you have parts and blueprints. You can have 1 hound assembled in the garage at a time. All your parts come from a pool of parts so it's kind of like building legos from a pool of resources you already have, except in CH, you can save that blueprint.

Second of all, yes, you have to commit to a one of three nations. And no, you cannot defect constantly (once every 2 weeks). I like this aspect of the game.

Money is easy as hell to come by in the online game, and if you play through half of the single player missions, you will have more than enough parts to build a variety of powerful mechs. Once you have those parts, you will have them forever, unless you trade them away. When you go online, you can bring those parts into your online game. You can do this repeatedly until you unlock all the parts in single player. Unlocking parts offline is awesome because when you're committed to a country, you can only buy parts manufactured from that country, which limits your style and weapons.

Cooler still, you can enter lotteries for weapons and equipment of other defeated countries.

Mandoric

Banned
Signing on from work, I suppose. Gamertag THE GROTTO, #04, US server, Tarakia. Anyone up to showing a complete nowb around the online mode?

Are we sure we won? I can't get logged back in and that top capital still looks red on the website. *fingers crossed*

(btw... i'm the 13th's basekiller, #37)

the annoying part of it is what was annoying about MA2 though—people switching out of factions just to be part of the winning team, making it quite annoying. It would have been far better had you been able to simply create a clan and try and take over land that way, or at least more interesting.

"people switching out of factions just to be part of the winning team" ?

That's untrue after the very beginning. Takes two weeks to switch, and by that time probably 8 to 15 wars will have passed. Therefore, this review is invalid. Good day, sir!

Ashodin

Yep, we totally OWNED Morskoj for their past grievances, and the Japanese aren't even on! :lol :lol :lol

GREAT JOB, GAFHOUND!

Warm Machine said:
Before I head out into the wild world of online should I go through the SP mode?

Up to you, but it should be helpful to you to learn what the classes are about and at least do the first couple of missions for each one so you can know your role. There's a lot more to learn online, but single player also gives you a decent starting stash of parts so you have a bit of room to experiment online without having to buy everything.

chespace

Nice review summary:

"Chromehounds is a special case, as it is one of those games that scream “hardcore”. The game is hardcore in the sense that, only a gamer with far too much time on his or her hands would take the punishment of completing the dry campaign. The hardcore gamers out there are the only ones that could stand the drab visuals, and boringly done sound. Finally, after all the punishment they would find the chewy center of the game in the form of a engaging online multiplayer mode, but still may only appeal to even some of the hardcore gamers out there. Yes, you really won’t get any mileage out of this title unless you have Xbox Live, and even taking in account you do, your better off hoping someone else brings a more engaging mech-sim to the Xbox 360."

Whee!

Sorry for the boot, Geoff9920... had to make a slot for someone last night.

Geoff9920

chespace said:
Sorry for the boot, Geoff9920... had to make a slot for someone last night.
Like I said over the message it's cool, I understand. I don't post here enough to be very well known.

Anyway Brigade, it was a shit load of fun. I'll find another squad over the weekend.

Bebpo

Banned
Do I need to play single player first to get the hang of how to play, or can I just jump online right now and try to join a game with you guys?

*whoops, just saw the post a few posts up.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I take one night off to go out for dinner with the family and I come home and see the war is over. Sheesh. :lol

Way to go, guys. Will see you tomorrow night.

HokieJoe

So what's the best type of hound to build then- a mix of long, medium and short range weaponry? How do you guys organize the teams? Do you mix and match depending upon skill sets and needs; or does everyone just bring what they have?

shuri

Banned
FAER MY MECHS. I AM NOW IN HEKAKAcK or something, has my clan moved. We work for the russians!

snipermechfh9.jpg

My sniper hybrid mech! 4 gattling guns, a bazooka, and TWO sniper cannons, with the mobility of a scout! FEAR

heavygunnerrw6.jpg

Now my heavy gunner, this boy is still a work in progress, theres not even a decal on it yet, the weaponry is lacking, i have massive firepower but i cant last very long as i run out of ammo all the time. I will install a rocket launcher and perhaps a shotgun on it.

I'm looking forward destroying your pathetic mechs online, friends.

Ashodin

What country are you affiliated with? Those parts look nice, I might want them for my mech.

Looks like Sal Kar, considering how low the armor is on that.

Kobold

Geoff9920 said:
Like I said over the message it's cool, I understand. I don't post here enough to be very well known.

Anyway Brigade, it was a shit load of fun. I'll find another squad over the weekend.
Join 13th GAFHND SQD!

shuri said:
FAER MY MECHS. I AM NOW IN HEKAKAcK or something, has my clan moved. We work for the russians!

[snip pics]

Now my heavy gunner, this boy is still a work in progress, theres not even a decal on it yet, the weaponry is lacking, i have massive firepower but i cant last very long as i run out of ammo all the time. I will install a rocket launcher and perhaps a shotgun on it.

I'm looking forward destroying your pathetic mechs online, friends.
Looks cool, nice cockpits!

Kobold

HokieJoe said:
Are the decals prefabbed, or can you roll your own, a la Forza?
Prefab, but you can make 14 layers or so if you are creative and there is a wide range of prefabbed stuff. Not anything like Forza though.

HokieJoe said:
So what's the best type of hound to build then- a mix of long, medium and short range weaponry? How do you guys organize the teams? Do you mix and match depending upon skill sets and needs; or does everyone just bring what they have?
Each game is different and the odds might change depending on loadouts, speed or edurability of enemies, etc.

Tactics and the effects thereof also is relatively random against human or Ai opponents. You can be perfectly organized, but if you don't bring the firepower, or mobility, you could still be toast.

Haha, last time we've played, for some reason the opponents commander came all the way to our base, where I, also commander, was hanging out. Result was a commander on commander battle, which of course was won by yours truly, after which our excelent team, (shoutouts, Twilight, Purg3, Pedro, Kid, Rayne, Scientific, Gibbon, Blackhaw and all the new recruits!) dealt with the rest of the rabble.

This game is crazy sweet online! Sure it has plenty of problems and it's hardly even a well constructed game when it comes to those stupid 'loading lobby' bullshit and lack of proper debriefing, but the gameplay and experience are grand.

purg3

slept with Malkin
I do not know if any else saw this, but the free parts are up on the marketplace. They are listed as 4 separate downloads.

Kobold

purgeface said:
I do not know if any else saw this, but the free parts are up on the marketplace. They are listed as 4 separate downloads.
Ya, sweet! Let us know if they any good.

Light Arms
http://tinyurl.com/n8mdn
WP_SG003
A sniper cannon for fast, furious engagements. Features a smaller magazine to reduce weight.

Heavy Arms
http://tinyurl.com/njkgb
WH_HC034
An improved HC1500/D, for those in the know. A giant cannon with massive destructive power.

Assist Part
http://tinyurl.com/mlkec
AX_AM002
Additional armor with an enhanced KE defensive profile. It’s shaped to better turn bullets.

Colour Pattern
http://tinyurl.com/o3y3q
WWII Tricolor Camouflage
A brand new World War II inspired camouflage pattern.

Bebpo

Banned
Anyone from the squad want to be in the lobby so I can find it and join?

And every single squad on the big list says connected regions = Japan...wtf!?

HokieJoe

Kobold said:
Prefab, but you can make 14 layers or so if you are creative and there is a wide range of prefabbed stuff. Not anything like Forza though.

Each game is different and the odds might change depending on loadouts, speed or edurability of enemies, etc.

Tactics and the effects thereof also is relatively random against human or Ai opponents. You can be perfectly organized, but if you don't bring the firepower, or mobility, you could still be toast.

Haha, last time we've played, for some reason the opponents commander came all the way to our base, where I, also commander, was hanging out. Result was a commander on commander battle, which of course was won by yours truly, after which our excelent team, (shoutouts, Twilight, Purg3, Pedro, Kid, Rayne, Scientific, Gibbon, Blackhaw and all the new recruits!) dealt with the rest of the rabble.

This game is crazy sweet online! Sure it has plenty of problems and it's hardly even a well constructed game when it comes to those stupid 'loading lobby' bullshit and lack of proper debriefing, but the gameplay and experience are grand.

Cool. This sure sounds like a fun-ass game. :)

Kobold

Bebpo said:
Anyone from the squad want to be in the lobby so I can find it and join?

And every single squad on the big list says connected regions = Japan...wtf!?
The game suffer from some weird bugs or usability mess-ups that are all classifiable in the genre you just mentioned, totally unnessecery and plain silly. Typical to Japanese developed games, lack of comprehension for userfriendlyness, if you ask me. N3 has the same shortcomings in same area's, where you just think, 'Why did they do it this way? It's dumb!'.

Anyways, outside of a few of these things, which are of course to be expected in this mega-complex game, it really does rock when you have a functioning team and some cool dudes playing together. You'll still have a bad time if you're playing with jerks though, I'm sure. :lol

OH, and the tinkering with your mech will be pure sex to any gearhead, these things consume fuel, they generate energy, heat, etc. all of which things you can have influence on depending on the parts you choose. Not no mention the countless weapon combinations that need trying out all the time!

hyp

ahhhhhhh. so i finally found GAFHOUND, now the ****ing game is saying "failed to connect" this is driving me mad.

frogg609

wasn't much going on tonight (didn't get on til late). built some new mechs, ran one of the first individual online skirmishes, very fun stuff.

will be back online tomorrow, hopefully a bit earlier.

night

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i'll be online at 8pm JPN time until about midnight.

My wife is off to HK for work for a week or so on friday, so she wants to spend as much time as possible together... online... blowing up hounds.... :}

Brannon

To hypoetical (I think), I may have accidentally spiked you in the last moments, so if you want me to pay you back get online.

chespace

We are in the midst of many many excellent and intense 4v4 matches in the capital city of Xeres tonight.

Urban combat in this game is unreal...

God this game rules all ass. Me, chespace, drohne, and DJ Brannon are playing 4v4 matches and are fighting to take back Tarakia's capital in 4v4 and haven't lost tonight yet. I'm probably going to be up awhile so if anyone else wants to fill in chespace's spot after he leaves (he's only up for one more game) come join us in this celebration of online gaming bliss.

Tarakia down again? 13,000 more people playing Tarakia than Sal Kar (asssuming "troop strength" is people, and you guys still go down before us :p

MORSKOJ - 88,872
TARAKIA - 64,923
SAL KAR - 51,610

i wonder if those numbers are correct ? need to factor in people that bought it and dont have live (poor bastards, haha), and factor in people that just rented it...but it seems like it could be accurate.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I need a squad to take Xeres back. I need it NOW. Who's playing? Which squad? Please be in the lobby so that I can join.

Cahill

Banned
Probably a really stupid Q but how are you guys picking AI opponents in war battles? For example let's say a friend and I wanted to try a 2 on 2 vs AI to get used to things? I didn't see any obvious way to specify opponent type...

DenogginizerOS

chespace said:
We are in the midst of many many excellent and intense 4v4 matches in the capital city of Xeres tonight.

Urban combat in this game is unreal...

Are we on for 9:30EST tonight? I really want to try some of these urban settings.

DenogginizerOS

Cahill said:
Probably a really stupid Q but how are you guys picking AI opponents in war battles? For example let's say a friend and I wanted to try a 2 on 2 vs AI to get used to things? I didn't see any obvious way to specify opponent type...

When you search for missions, you can search search foir higher ranked opponents.

Top Bottom