• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official GAF Chromehounds Squad Thread

Finally got a chance to play a couple of rounds online last night, and it was excellent, despite the fact that I didn't know what the hell I was doing. :D I still had a blast and hope to be on again tonight, and should be able to play longer. Single player mode is fun, but not awe inspiring, but online, this game is amazing.

Schafer said:
They need to lower the bloody briefing time as well, 15 minutes is way too long.

Yeah, the 13th was discussing this last night as well. Actually, though, I think if all the tweaking that's done in the Main Lobby started getting done in the briefing room, it wouldn't be so bad. (See: Twilight's frickin' shoelaces.) (INSIDE JOKE, 13TH STYLEE.)

Jeff-DSA

I'd like to see the mech building functions disabled in the briefing area. You should be allowed to swap out mechs, but any building you do should have to be handled when other players aren't waiting.

Jeff-DSA said:
I'd like to see the mech building functions disabled in the briefing area. You should be allowed to swap out mechs, but any building you do should have to be handled when other players aren't waiting.

But it's only fair to allow someone to quickly add Night Vision, and that alone might require some other juggling.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
BenjaminBirdie said:
But it's only fair to allow someone to quickly add Night Vision, and that alone might require some other juggling.

It takes 5 seconds to add a night vision piece to your mech and save it as another preset (SOL-NV or somesuch) in your garage, no reason to do this in the briefing.

Schafer said:
It takes 5 seconds to add a night vision piece to your mech and save it as another preset (SOL-NV or somesuch) in your garage, no reason to do this in the briefing.

To be fair, not necessarily. I've never been in a situation where my mech hasn't been completely loaded to bear and then had to decide what to replace night vision with.

Just speaking from experience, I would have much rather looked at the map we were about to fight on while Twilight built his new sniper than look at the War Map.

Then again, I could've been in the garage at that time too.

Anyway. A briefing for five minutes would make everyone happy. You can easily do any configuring and stragerizing in that time frame. Matter of fact, I don't think I've ever seen the briefing counter go past 10:00 except one time when we were waiting for someone to show up.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
I wouldn't mind the briefing if the two teams had an opportunity to send each other pre-baked messages like "Sorry for the delay, almost done" or "Waiting for someone to join - please wait" ... right now, we don't know if they're going to just up and leave or what, which is where the frustration comes in.

Yes I know you can chat with them outside of the game.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
BenjaminBirdie said:
To be fair, not necessarily. I've never been in a situation where my mech hasn't been completely loaded to bear and then had to decide what to replace night vision with.

Just speaking from experience, I would have much rather looked at the map we were about to fight on while Twilight built his new sniper than look at the War Map.

Then again, I could've been in the garage at that time too.

Anyway. A briefing for five minutes would make everyone happy. You can easily do any configuring and stragerizing in that time frame. Matter of fact, I don't think I've ever seen the briefing counter go past 10:00 except one time when we were waiting for someone to show up.

He's saying that for every mech build you do, you should figure out what to take off for a NV variant. And save both out as different assemblies. Then you'll never have to throw an NV onto a mech again, just load the NV variant assembly.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
chespace said:
I wouldn't mind the briefing if the two teams had an opportunity to send each other pre-baked messages like "Sorry for the delay, almost done" or "Waiting for someone to join - please wait" ... right now, we don't know if they're going to just up and leave or what, which is where the frustration comes in.

Add to that "I'm going to hit ready for this 6 player team game with just one player on my side."

There was a disturbing trend of this last night. I was in 3 seperate 6 player games where, for god knows what reason, the enemy came in with only one player.

chespace said:

That would be handy.

BTW, what do you guys consider when choosing where to fight? The 13th spent most of the night in Dubaj to try and help out the effort (AND FOR REVENGE). I noticed you guys were hopping all over the map. Do you just focus on finding games with other human opponents, are you considering the where the fighting is needed the most, or even something else we hadn't thought of?

Jeff-DSA

BenjaminBirdie said:
That would be handy.

BTW, what do you guys consider when choosing where to fight? The 13th spent most of the night in Dubaj to try and help out the effort (AND FOR REVENGE). I noticed you guys were hopping all over the map. Do you just focus on finding games with other human opponents, are you considering the where the fighting is needed the most, or even something else we hadn't thought of?

Personally I think it's good to go for blood when an enemy's location is about to fall, but defense is a bit more important. In this war though, toppling Morskoj early is pretty important though...they need to be contained.

Jeff-DSA said:
Personally I think it's good to go for blood when an enemy's location is about to fall, but defense is a bit more important. In this war though, toppling Morskoj early is pretty important though...they need to be contained.

That's why we were staying in Dubaj and the one north of it for the most part. But I saw a few GAF Brigade fights in like Melton. I was all "HUH????"

chespace

BenjaminBirdie said:
That would be handy.

I would like to be more in sync with the war effort but the spotty war servers lately have made that difficult. I really don't think it has anything to do with the actual gameplay network code, but more with the war server hookups and flow of information. I've seen briefing rooms get wonky or even disconnect when there's a big real-time update to the persistent war map or when it tries to update that balance of power bar you have in each little map.

Hopefully the server update will address this but I doubt it. I'm hoping that they will address it at some point soon though.

FlyinJ said:
Add to that "I'm going to hit ready for this 6 player team game with just one player on my side."

There was a disturbing trend of this last night. I was in 3 seperate 6 player games where, for god knows what reason, the enemy came in with only one player.

I think some people don't realize that when you launch a new mission the number of squad members you set determines the number of Hounds you must face. So they are probably trying to do solo missions, but forget to lower the number from 6.

chespace

Vyse The Legend said:
I think some people don't realize that when you launch a new mission the number of squad members you set determines the number of Hounds you must face. So they are probably trying to do solo missions, but forget to lower the number from 6.

Speaking of which, solo missions online in the war against AI mechs of higher rank (corporal or above) gets VERY tough. They're smart, hard as shit to take down, and back some really efficient mech designs. I'd like to do a 2 AI vs. me match but I'm too scared I'd get raped.

scaffa

Went out today to buy Chromehounds and offcourse I failed my mission. The stores I went to never even heard of Chromehounds...

I hope I have tomorrow some more luck :) The GAF Squad thing is already full I assume?

Zotty said:
Went out today to buy Chromehounds and offcourse I failed my mission. The stores I went to never even heard of Chromehounds...

I hope I have tomorrow some more luck :) The GAF Squad thing is already full I assume?

NeoGAF Brigade is full. 13th GAFHOUND is not.

Geoff9920

Zotty said:

There are multiple squads. I believe they're listed on the first page too, not sure though.

Cahill

Banned
I'm curious: do you/can you create a single logo and/or color scheme for a group and have all members use them on their hounds?

Cahill said:
I'm curious: do you/can you create a single logo and/or color scheme for a group and have all members use them on their hounds?

Yes. Once the logo is made it is conveniently available to all members. I think maybe the leader makes it? Not sure how it works but I know it automatically showed up in my decal list.

chespace

BenjaminBirdie said:
Yes. Once the logo is made it is conveniently available to all members. I think maybe the leader makes it? Not sure how it works but I know it automatically showed up in my decal list.

Anyone can make a squad emblem and/or a squad color.

I love this feature.

Cahill

Banned
Excellent! Thanks for the info guys. Guess I'll have to check it out tonight. I'm kinda curious to see if I can do something similar to one of my Forza cars. *scratching head*

.. then just gotta decide whether or not to screw around in the editor or actually play the damn game. :D

Karg

chespace said:
Speaking of which, solo missions online in the war against AI mechs of higher rank (corporal or above) gets VERY tough. They're smart, hard as shit to take down, and back some really efficient mech designs. I'd like to do a 2 AI vs. me match but I'm too scared I'd get raped.

Yeah plus their ability to read patterns in your movements, there was a few times I was zig-zagging and I got tagged each time. Lots of fun though.

SonnyBoy said:
Im not finding GAF Hound.

"13th GAFHND SQD"

Thats what I type in right?

Yeah, but two or so members have to be waiting in the lobby in order to accept your membership. If no one is on, then you simply get the "squad cannot be found" message.

Karg

Vyse The Legend said:
Yeah, but two or so members have to be waiting in the lobby in order to accept your membership. If no one is on, then you simply get the "squad cannot be found" message.

I was able to get into my squad with only having one person online so I think its doable as long as one person is online.

hyp

i've been trying to get into the 13th GAFHND SQD for the past 2 days, and still no luck. are there still openings, or are the servers just trippin'? it's getting super frustrating.

SonnyBoy said:
My GT is : LUVA LUVA

Someone invite me to a game so I'll know when you're online to accept my membership.

I'll get on right now and add you. Wait a second and I'll tell you when to try again.

EDIT: I'm on now. Send your membership requests now. :)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Cahill said:
Excellent! Thanks for the info guys. Guess I'll have to check it out tonight. I'm kinda curious to see if I can do something similar to one of my Forza cars. *scratching head*

You can make some pretty neat stuff with the emblem editor, one of my squadmates (not Neogaf squad) made a near perfect fruit f*cker emblem. Looks really really good.

SonnyBoy

Ok, when I 1st got the game I was a member of a different country (I got a free achievement).

Now that I joined the right country I can successfully search and find GAF Hound. My problem now is that Im getting a "cannot connect" error. I guess I have to wait for someone to acknowledge me still.

SonnyBoy said:
Ok, when I 1st got the game I was a member of a different country (I got a free achievement).

Now that I joined the right country I can successfully search and find GAF Hound. My problem now is that Im getting a "cannot connect" error. I guess I have to wait for someone to acknowledge me still.

No, there have been some connection issues. I couldn't connect until I ditched my ghetto router. Someone here in the 13th said he had to like log on and then log back off of Live entirely a few times. Right now there are a few 13ths on but if they're currently in battle, they (and the squad itself when you search) might not show up.

Bit of a wonky system to be sure but trust me, it's worth it. The 13th is actually pretty good with having people on pretty much all of the time, with Mirik representing the EU and all of its weird hours. But yeah, if we're all in battle, the squad might not be showing up.

I'm glad to see some more people fighting for Tarakia. I'm currently with the SteelLegion fighting for democracy, and the help is appreciated.

Oh, and to those that are trying to put together a stable sniper, use a reverse joint chassis, there's one available in the shop with a pretty decent speed and a stability of like 224. Add in a good Weapons and Stability COM to up that even more, and you barely get any kickback off heavy sniper cannons. You can also tap the right trigger lightly to fire each gun in a group one at a time.

Okay. For the next like half hour I will hang out in the 13th Lobby and not do any battles. My GT: is KidInsomnia, send me a message if you have any problems. I will be unable to access GAF during this time, though.

Remember to type this in CASE SENSISTIVE PEOPLE:

13th GAFHND SQD

Unplug your routers and hop in! 5:45-6:15 EST. THIRTEENTH-A-PALOOZA! FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE!

:D

(Warning: May not be necessary to unplug routers if yours is less shitty than mine.)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Tokyopia joined Tarakia last night... well, it's still basically me and the wife, blackace is having some issues - he can't play with us for some reason.

we clocked 8 wins, 1 loss.

... hurrah?

BenjaminBirdie said:

No it's not. Night vision weighs like 20lb, oh alright maybe 50lb at the very most. Thats nothing, theres almost no excuse to not have it on every mech already.

Well, golem made it into the 13th, but that was the only applicant. Tut-Tut, GAF. I'm starting to doubt your commitment to Tarakia. We're at 14 HARDCORE MEMBERS right now but I'm guessing you'll be able to find a steady stream of guys on tonight so you'll probably be able to get your application in if you keep trying.

And Yuna, I'm usually within about 5 or 6 pounds of my limit. I guess that's the "almost" in "almost no excuse"? :D

BenjaminBirdie said:
Well, golem made it into the 13th, but that was the only applicant. Tut-Tut, GAF. I'm starting to doubt your commitment to Tarakia. We're at 14 HARDCORE MEMBERS right now but I'm guessing you'll be able to find a steady stream of guys on tonight so you'll probably be able to get your application in if you keep trying.

And Yuna, I'm usually within about 5 or 6 pounds of my limit. I guess that's the "almost" in "almost no excuse"? :D

Well well... In that case even if you could rebuild mechs in the briefing room most people who are that close to their weight are there becasue they want all the stuff they have equiped. In this case most people aren't gonna sacrifice a canon or gun for nv. They're gonna load up a mech a that that built before who has everything they need, including nv. :) Yup

DarkAngelYuna said:
Well well... In that case even if you could rebuild mechs in the briefing room most people who are that close to their weight are there becasue they want all the stuff they have equiped. In this case most people aren't gonna sacrifice a canon or gun for nv. They're gonna load up a mech a that that built before who has everything they need, including nv. :) Yup

Totally. Like I said, though. Five minutes should make everyone happy.

So I was about to go pick up the game until I read this:

Hello,
I have chromehounds for my xbox 360, and I have run into a rather intersting situatiation...

When you initaly start like it was noted in this thread you are give x-dollars, i do not remember the amount but if it was like 600,000 ...wow, i have even bigger problem...

You see, when I and a friend who both purchased chromehounds started the game we selected each a hound, unknowningly did I note at the time you can not RE-select your hound, at least i could not find a way. Since I was new to the game, I wanted to re-start the game completly, I figured VERY WONGLY as it turned out, to exit the game and delete my profile from my hdd 'actually the mu but same thing' ..anyways when you come back into the game the SERVER side of chromehounds 'their server out in xbox live land' remembers you, and pow NO MORE HOUND my garage is empty, and i have NO money.

I can not reset anything, i could not re-select my inital hound, i can not re-establish the hound number, as it did the first time i logged online..with the brand new game.

So where am I now, well i am doing the single player stuff that provides you parts as you complete them and some money, NO WHERE near yet the 600,000 if that was the original amount, and since i am a new player i have to totaly guess how to build a decent mech since i can not afford a) the completed ones, and b) can not choose the ones that the game allowed me to select initally.

Second DO NOT CHANGE ALLIANCES UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES if you want to play the game with friends later on, if you change alliances to another country you can not go back for a 'real life' 2-week period.

I also tried to find an 'exit' fiunction for the game while you are playing finnaly found out that it you hold down the select button 'yes the other button to the left of the 'X' button on the new controllers the mech will explode and take you out. not very well done or explained in the manual i found.

The entry to the online is VERY VERY VERY slow with the constant info messages, and the multiple times you have to press 'a' to accept ok.

i would like really like to hear from anyone who would be able to advise me how to reset this game, get back to the 'just purchased point'

I even went as far to send email to sega, they told me to contact xbox live wonderfull...

anyways the time i have spent controlling the mech was enjoyable, i just wish i could reset the game back to when i bought it and first placed it in to the xbox360 so that i could once again have my 'credits money' and select a completed hound.

Is it really that easy to screw up and be screwed or is this guy just an idiot? Any other gotchas I should know about before I pick up and play the game?

is anyone else addicted to chromehounds.com? i have been sitting here at work all day watching the progress of the war from the map on the leaderboards. looks like tarakia is on the move.

damn i wish i was at home playing right now. this game is reminds me of playing Risk when i was a kid.

Top Bottom