• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official GAF Chromehounds Squad Thread

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Trav said:
Someone posted this on the official forums about pure Snipers:

Having played a lot of pure Sniper myself, I tend to agree. I wonder what we're missing.

I tend to agree as well -- snipers feel really nerfed in CH.

Is it possible to get 8 sniper rifles on a mech, in 4 groups of 2 each? So you fire one group, go to the next group, etc. giving the previous groups time to reload?

As usual, if you're a sniper, it's better if you hang out with a defender class mech so you don't get raped when they climb that hill to your hiding spot.

Bummer about the muzzle velocity though. At extreme range, you do have to "lead" a little too much to be an effective sniper.

sammy

chespace said:
Judging from the concept art below, it looks like these hounds were supposed to be a lot smaller in scale originally -- probably more along the lines of the Maschinen Krieger scale -- basically around the size of tanks that house single-seater pilots.

that makes a lot more sense, seeing as to how tiny the joints and articulations are in the disigns ---- the connections wouldn't look so unreasonable had the scaled the machines down some.

but at the current size of the hounds (that aren't actually that large, you can still see the pilots in some cockpit types) the attachements aren't insanely unreasonable --- just look at the small size of a rotary that holds a helicopter up.

Ashodin

Okay GAFHOUND, I'm gonna update the list on the front page and I'm getting on now.

Che, FOR THE ALLIANCE!

FOR TARAKIA!

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
chespace said:
I tend to agree as well -- snipers feel really nerfed in CH.

Is it possible to get 8 sniper rifles on a mech, in 4 groups of 2 each? So you fire one group, go to the next group, etc. giving the previous groups time to reload?

As usual, if you're a sniper, it's better if you hang out with a defender class mech so you don't get raped when they climb that hill to your hiding spot.

Bummer about the muzzle velocity though. At extreme range, you do have to "lead" a little too much to be an effective sniper.

I have a sniper that I was using yesterday with three sniper cannons, 2 lesser sniper rifles, and a gatling gun for emergencies. I fire 2 bullets at once with 2 of the 3 cannons, and fire a single shot for the other cannon. The 2 lesser sniper rifles reload faster and I use them after I have used the bigger guns. Using this config, I was having success with taking out the basic defenders, but with larger mechs, I only had success with those that have the weaker cockpits. I think I may try a tank tread configuration and make 2 sets of 4 sniper cannons for total of 8. I will tinker with this later. I am determined to findan effective sniper seeing that it can be helpful in weakening targets as they approach some of the grunts.

Tabs

chespace said:
If you use the medium ones maybe. My current load out has 4 of the biggest guns and 2 medium in 3 weapon groups. Even in groups of 2, you can rarely get both shots, at medium to long range, to hit the target. When I tied all 4 together it was just ridiculous. If someone has a really effective Sniper build, I'd love to see the blueprints.

DenogginizerOS

Trav said:
If you use the medium ones maybe. My current load out has 4 of the biggest guns and 2 medium in 3 weapon groups. Even in groups of 2, you can rarely get both shots, at medium to long range, to hit the target. When I tied all 4 together it was just ridiculous. If someone has a really effective Sniper build, I'd love to see the blueprints.
Lets work on this later. I will try to get on before 9:30 so we can tinker.

DenogginizerOS

For the NeoGAF brigade, we need to look at the squad list and see if there are names of people who have not played and have not communicated they will be playing in the coming days.

Che, my buddy Scaramanga OS just told me that he understands if he gets booted if you need to make space.

I found a copy at Futureshop in Burnaby. If anyone in Vancouver area wants one, there is one left there.

I have to activate Live tonight then I'll be ready to join the fight.

chespace said:
From Software has made the first classic online mech game on any console -- no small feat, to be sure.
VOOT was online in japan if i remember correctly, and im not even gonna get into how much that game obliterates chromehounds.

even if they can't be compared.

So me and Matt just owned up a few rounds trying to help the resistance to take back the capital city, but this one match we are approaching a bridge, ready to ambush/double team an incoming enemy player. He comes into view, and we unload our shit into him. Then he returns fire with some kind of missile/rockets I'm not sure, direct hit to my mech and what do I see? CRITIAL DAMAGE comes on the screen and I'm shocked. He literally killed me in 1 hit. I guess it's cause my cockpit is a rather light one, but I never thought there were 1 hit kills in the game. He also took like 90% of Matt's life in 1 hit right after decimating me, then killed him on his second hit.

3rdman

imastalker co. said:
VOOT was online in japan if i remember correctly, and im not even gonna get into how much that game obliterates chromehounds.

Yeah! Don't even get me started on how Halo completely craps on it too...even if they can't be compared...at all.....

Treo360

MisterAnderson said:
So me and Matt just owned up a few rounds trying to help the resistance to take back the capital city, but this one match we are approaching a bridge, ready to ambush/double team an incoming enemy player. He comes into view, and we unload our shit into him. Then he returns fire with some kind of missile/rockets I'm not sure, direct hit to my mech and what do I see? CRITIAL DAMAGE comes on the screen and I'm shocked. He literally killed me in 1 hit. I guess it's cause my cockpit is a rather light one, but I never thought there were 1 hit kills in the game. He also took like 90% of Matt's life in 1 hit right after decimating me, then killed him on his second hit.

This is kinda what happened to me last night. My attention was diverted to a mech that seemed to have nothing but lancers equipped, so here I am firing away, then next thing I know I get walloped hard by two shots, the first one taking out all my weapons on the left side then the next destroying my mech.

I think I was using too light a cockpit too.

Just one more hour to go here . . .

What time is the fighting 13th coming on?

scaffa

All this talk about Chromehounds makes me want to buy the game but I promised myself not to :( I even cancelled my Live account. Damn you Chromehounds dont lure me in again!

This game sounds like all kinds of awsomeness :)

I have a question tho, how do you get new gear for your mech? Unlocking it by finding it in sp or by getting an amounth of kills in mp? Also future part downloads will prolly cost points but wouldnt that make it unfair for people that cant buy it?

Loading up the demo for the second time..maybe buying it tomorrow :( I hate you Chromehounds topic..

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
after a couple days of no success online, i think i need to move away from lightweight soldiers. it's fun to move quickly, but i can't dance around heavier mechs long enough to actually take them out.

Treo360

imastalker co. said:

joke post right?

Treo360

drohne said:
after a couple days of no success online, i think i need to move away from lightweight soldiers. it's fun to move quickly, but i can't dance around heavier mechs long enough to actually take them out.

Against Medium mechs you should be causing some havoc.

I really need to buy a faster turning computer controller. I have the stock unit and it's not cutting it at all.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Zotty said:
I have a question tho, how do you get new gear for your mech? Unlocking it by finding it in sp or by getting an amounth of kills in mp?

You purchase the parts at an online store. You gain funds by winning battles.

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
DarkAngelYuna said:
From what I've been reading on message boards doing wars against the cpu doesn't even help much at all, it's the wars against humans that makes most progress.
I don't think so. I played humans for quite some time 1 on 1, and earned as much as playing AI's 1 on 1. So I don't know about that. I think it's the difficulty it's set to, and ifyou play players over more stakes, like difficulty set higer, then you also would get more points foim decimating humans, as well as AI, I think.

I don't know, it's too bad they aren't western developers and can just shed some light on these issues on the boards. :)

Damn! I guess I'll have to spend 65-70€ because of you guys. I was waiting for the cheap ASIA region free version, but just can't wait any longer. I'm gonna check some local gamestores tomorrow and will be playing some Hounds if I'll get lucky.

sammy

drohne said:

anything fast and lightweight is only usefull as scouts, I've seen - getting out of radio contact for some COMBAS and sighting enemies at their grids, then getting the hell back behind the soldiers ---- and you might as well go for a hover-base so you can skim over water.

can you add me to the list of neogafer's that play? my squad is mostly from TheAdultGamer.com but we fight for Tarakia too. we helped win back the capital before i left for work this morning.

Squad = TheAdultGamer
GT = studknckl

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

I prefer steak to studying french.

re: pure snipers - it does look like the are fairly useless outside large teams (but i'm guessing there!) :D

Anyone else having issues with CPU teams of heavies?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i don't mean to say that lightweight soldiers can't be effective -- i'm sure they can in the right hands -- i just haven't had any success with them. maybe i haven't got the skills to make it work. i'll manage to stay out of a heavier mech's sights long enough to hit with four or five rocket salvos, do little visible damage, and then get crippled by one or two big hits. i want to try something big. with some of those homing missiles. YEAH

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
awesome stuff this afternoon. was my first time going online after spending yesterday doing single player, i come in and can't use the shop so i'm just runnin the missions trying to be of some help when i'm severly outgunned. we finally took back our capital so i loaded up in the shop :)

looks like sar kal just fell though, so they're going to be going hard back at our capital again.

Ashodin

sefskillz said:
awesome stuff this afternoon. was my first time going online after spending yesterday doing single player, i come in and can't use the shop so i'm just runnin the missions trying to be of some help when i'm severly outgunned. we finally took back our capital so i loaded up in the shop :)

looks like sar kal just fell though, so they're going to be going hard back at our capital again.

It's okay, we're securing another one dot area real fast then going to fight and push back on the other one dot area they're attacking. Tarakia MUST survive!

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
Server is down here. Just after I was one on one with a bot destoyed their base, it said it couldn't inform World Affair! I was about to take back our capital, solo! :lol

Our nation got creamed though haha!

chespace said:
He is a stalker. Who cares what he thinks?
you said console mech game. VOOT is technically a console mech game.

im sure if we could only pick one, we'd all pick VOOT.

regardless of genre, like i said.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
imastalker co. said:

I'd take Chromehounds over VOOT any day of the week.

imastalker co. said:

I'd take chromehounds... oh and please get the hell out of our thread.

it's cool, i don't to want to turn this into Chromehounds Vs VOOT when you guys seem to have a good session going on. considering no one else is playing the game, i don't wanna ruin that for you guys.

but just let it be known that those that pick this over VOOT snort eraser shavings.

chespace

imastalker co. said:
it's cool, i don't to want to turn this into Chromehounds Vs VOOT when you guys seem to have a good session going on. considering no one else is playing the game, i don't wanna ruin that for you guys.

but just let it be known that those that pick this over VOOT snort eraser shavings.

I'd pick Rock'em Sock'em Robots over fcukin' VOOT, now get the hell outta here you creep.

DenogginizerOS

imastalker co. said:

Stating you like VOOT over Chromehounds = OK
Insulting those of us that like Chromehounds over VOOT = Douchebaggerie

You are obviously a fukcing troll. Get out.

chespace

imastalker co. said:
actually, i think i'll just sit here and read the thread. i won't even post.

i just want my VOOT presence lurking around.

I feel a heavy Hungry Hungry Hippo presence lingering in this thread....

DenogginizerOS

imastalker co. said:

Something is definitely lingering. Smells like the brim of an asshat.

LukeSmith

imastalker co. said:

If this thread were about Kutaragi I bet you'd be banned.

DenogginizerOS

Troll comes into thread and derails it = ban.

Repeat.

Troll comes into thread and derails it = ban.

What am I missing here?

Top Bottom