• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
ElyrionX said:
Also, just how big of a deal is SSD?

I think they'll be a much bigger deal when you can get significantly larger ones for significantly less money. My system drive up and crapped out on me a couple weeks ago and, feeling flush with cash and with the hard drive click of doom still echoing in my ears, I picked up a 60 gigabyte Vertex to replace it. Now Windows boots up crazy fast, and once it hits the desktop it's ready to go, no waiting for startup programs or anything.

But there's only about 45 gigabytes left after Windows took its share, and so pretty much anything big (like, say, games) ends up still sitting on good old-fashioned magnetic storage and so you're getting a fat lot of nothing out of the SSD for all that stuff.

When it gets cheap enough for you to have large quantities of super-fast SSD storage then things are gonna be pretty sweet. 'Til then the benefit of an SSD is heavily reliant on how many of the programs you most want sped up you can cram into a relatively small storage footprint.

Macattk15

What would be a good upgrade to 2 8800gt SLI'ed? That is what I currently have on a crappy 680i SLI board (I hate it, but am not looking to replace it).

I also have a Q6600 quad core which I think is fine ... and 4GB of some DDR2 1066 Patriot RAM.

Right now I mainly play WoW and on the highest settings I'm seeing a lot of stuttering and only about 25 fps in raid enviroments. This seems weird to me for 2 8800GT's SLI .... but it's about the same with even just one card running.

So yeah .... what's a good upgrade? Or is there nothing major out there yet? I'm VERY out of the loop on graphics cards. I'm also not looking to spend $500 on a single card. I guess I'm looking for a best bang for the buck card ... maybe nothing more than $300.

dionysus said:
Currently, that is exactly how people use an SSD. The SSD for the OS and programs and a regular hard drive for media.

How much do load times bother you in games? Would you like a fast boot? For the type of games I play (rarely play games on release and not that big into FPS), going from a 8800GT to a GT260 would basically mean going from 60FPS to 200FPS. Pointless. So a SSD is a better use of that money. If you are going to be loading up the AAA games at 1080P on day 1 though, you would probably be better served spending that money on a better graphics card.

Edit. But don't listen to my advice, apparently I am an idiot. :lo
l

Its all about opinions, the more people throw in their view on the situation the better.

Macattk15 said:
What would be a good upgrade to 2 8800gt SLI'ed? That is what I currently have on a crappy 680i SLI board (I hate it, but am not looking to replace it).

I also have a Q6600 quad core which I think is fine ... and 4GB of some DDR2 1066 Patriot RAM.

Right now I mainly play WoW and on the highest settings I'm seeing a lot of stuttering and only about 25 fps in raid enviroments. This seems weird to me for 2 8800GT's SLI .... but it's about the same with even just one card running.

So yeah .... what's a good upgrade? Or is there nothing major out there yet? I'm VERY out of the loop on graphics cards. I'm also not looking to spend $500 on a single card. I guess I'm looking for a best bang for the buck card ... maybe nothing more than $300.

You've still got a pretty capable rig there so its debatabl;e whether its worth upgrading.

First things first, get that quad clocked upto 3ghz this will do for a 3ghz clock, if you want to push it further then go for something more expensive. I know Nvidia boards aren't the best for OCing but even then 3ghz shouldn't be difficult.

This is by far and away the best value single GPU solution at the high end, you should get a nice bump in average framerates, get rid of the framebuffer bottlenecks and eradicate the inconsistencies of SLi, 1ghz FOR $230:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102831

SLI GTX 260s is a decent option as well:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150361

Or maybe a 4870X2?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150349

Macattk15

brain_stew said:
You've still got a pretty capable rig there so its debatabl;e whether its worth upgrading.

First things first, get that quad clocked upto 3ghz this will do for a 3ghz clock, if you want to push it further then go for something more expensive. I know Nvidia boards aren't the best for OCing but even then 3ghz shouldn't be difficult.

This is by far and away the best value single GPU solution at the high end, you should get a nice bump in average framerates, get rid of the framebuffer bottlenecks and eradicate the inconsistencies of SLi, 1ghz FOR $230:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102831

SLI GTX 260s is a decent option as well:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150361

Or maybe a 4870X2?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150349

(This is an Alienware computer that I had bought last year ... I know overpriced!)

For some reason whenever I try to OC the CPU .... the system is unstable above 2.7Ghz. I get random lock-ups in games (with a sound loop or high pitch squeal). When I go back to default values .... everything is fine for as long as I leave the computer on. I have a Tuniq Tower on the CPU and temps are always low. I've tried adjusting the voltage .... nothing really seems to help it.

I've read on several boards that the Motherboard sucks for OC'ing. I've got the latest drivers for it .... maybe not the latest BIOS.

I kind of just gave up on the CPU OC'ing and I've left it at the stock speeds. I'd love to get it stable running at 3Ghz but I have had 0 luck.

Okay, so I put together a new wishlist that I might order.

Here's the old
grap3fruitman said:
Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Case $58.95
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P Motherboard $134.99
EVGA 896-P3-1260-AR GeForce GTX 260 896MB $179.99
Rosewill RD500-2DB 500W Power Supply $49.99
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80569Q9550 $264.99
Rosewill RCR-IM5001 USB2.0 75 in 1 internal Card Reader $19.99
OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) x2 $129.98
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB $129.99
LG Black Blu-ray/HD DVD-ROM & 16X DVD±R DVD Burner SATA Model GGC-H20L $109.99

Order Total $1084.85

New build
CORSAIR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 TR3X6G1600C8D $168.00
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard $279.99
Rosewill RCR-IM5001 USB2.0 75 in 1 internal Card Reader $14.99
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V $99.99
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz Model BX80601920 $279.99
EVGA 896-P3-1260-AR GeForce GTX 260 896MB $184.99
LG Black Blu-ray/HD DVD-ROM & 16X DVD±R DVD Burner SATA $109.99
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB $129.99

$1,267.93 and I don't even have a case included yet

Thoughts on the newer one? If it's that much better I'm just gonna shoo away the UPS guy tomorrow with the old stuff and place this order.

grap3fruitman said:
Thoughts on the newer one? If it's that much better I'm just gonna shoo away the UPS guy tomorrow with the old stuff and place this order.

For the price difference I would certainly go for the core i7 rig. You could also shave a few bucks off going with a gigabyte x58 board. You are buying into a dead end road with the other system as far as CPU upgrade options.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128386

I've heard good things about this board and it's pretty affordable for a x58 chipset.

Crap, the CORSAIR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 TR3X6G1600C8D $168.00 shot up to 249. I was about to order right now when I noticed.

What's a good alternative to Corsair RAM?

And I'm probably gonna end up sticking with that Antec Three Hundred midtower case, I don't plan on putting much in there besides what I have now. Maybe a hdd or two down the line.

You know what's funny? My original budget was ~$600. =\

grap3fruitman said:
Crap, the CORSAIR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 TR3X6G1600C8D $168.00 shot up to 249. I was about to order right now when I noticed.

And I'm probably gonna end up sticking with that Antec Three Hundred midtower case, I don't plan on putting much in there besides what I have now. Maybe a hdd or two down the line.

Why were you buying such expensive RAM anyway? The stuff I chose in my proposed build was half the price and any possible performance downgrades would be unnoticeable. Put the money saved into upping your GPU to a 4890.

Fast expensive RAM is only ever really useful if you're planning some serious OCing, even then, the sticks I specified are more than enough for a very decent OC anyway.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
grap3fruitman said:

Cheap G.Skill ;)

You won't notice any difference.

MoFuzz

Oh noez! Does anyone have experience with hard drive data recovery?

My 640 GB WD Caviar Blue just died on me. Tried to turn it on, and it wouldn't boot into Windows. Rebooted and it wasn't showing up in the BIOS, and now it simply clicks repeatedly when powered on.

Didn't get a chance to back anything up, since it's only about a month old. Am I gonna have to spend $800 - $1200 to have my data back?

Minsc

Gold Member
MoFuzz said:
Oh noez! Does anyone have experience with hard drive data recovery?

My 640 GB WD Caviar Blue just died on me. Tried to turn it on, and it wouldn't boot into Windows. Rebooted and it wasn't showing up in the BIOS, and now it simply clicks repeatedly when powered on.

Didn't get a chance to back anything up, since it's only about a month old. Am I gonna have to spend $800 - $1200 to have my data back?

Sounds like a dead drive. If you can, use RAID1 in the future for your important data, a 2TB WD Mirror is about $200 these days, will give you a safe 1TB worth of storage. Schedule a routine imaging of your entire OS drive & other important files to your RAID1 drive (partition your OS drive to be ~50 gigs or so if it's like 1TB), and viola, safe as one can be from drive failure. Even better would be to get SSDs, but those aren't very practical yet, just good for small sizes. Just have to hope there's no natural disasters that take out the RAID1 setup! Storing drives remotely and uploading data to remote servers gets to be a bit much, but if you keep everything in one place, even if it's backed up on various formats, you always take the risk of that place going away and all your data with it.

I'm sure people will tell you to try to put the drive in an external enclosure, but I've had the problem you're describing with external drives, and swapping them to different enclosures never did anything for me.

Recovering deleted data is a lot easier than getting a drive to boot and be recognized by windows.

Hazaro said:
I have on the monitor:
20 Brightness
75 Contrast

nVidia Control Panel:
50 Brightness
0 Digital Vibrance
50 Contrast
0.65 Gamma (Ran the 'Display Optimization Wizard' then tweaked compared to my other LCD)

Thanks, I'll try that out when I get home from vacation later in the week. I have been loving the monitor but the wobble from the stand is annoying as hell! Perhaps I need a new keyboard that I don't have to press down so hard on.

dionysus said:
Windows 7 moved up to an October release. Definitely no reason to get Vista if you are upgrading in the meantime.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124396629749777857.html

Also, looks like my new PC schedule just got bumped up a few months! Must scratch that upgrade itch that has been bugging me for several months.

Hmm...hopefully those new Jmicron controllers that are supposed to cut SSD prices in half will be out by then. I need my dual 60GB raid-0 setup for Win 7! I seen a nice 3.5 bay that can hold two SSD's.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
MWS Natural said:
Thanks, I'll try that out when I get home from vacation later in the week. I have been loving the monitor but the wobble from the stand is annoying as hell! Perhaps I need a new keyboard that I don't have to press down so hard on.
My monitor only wobbles when I bump my leg into my desk.

I mashed as hard as I could on my KB (Saitek Eclipse) then hit my desk, but it doesn't wobble at all.

The stand could be sturdier for sure though.

derder

I forgot to update this thread. I got my OCZ Vertex 30GB installed with W7RC. I'm loving it. I bought two but am waiting until the next fw update to do raid0.

The only problems so far:
3 second hitching when trying to access my 1.5TB storage drive.
I was using it as my main before this, so maybe its normal
Tooooo small. I have enough room for the OS+Office+Random Programs+Eve online. :(

fatty

I will be checking in with this thread about a month or two before Starcraft II releases, hopefully Windows 7 is out by then.

dazzgc

Banned
HomerSimpson-Man said:
Man, after E3, I got this urge to upgrade my PC, just to prepare and play all these supposedly third party console "exclusives." :D

do it man. do it. whatever you spend, its worth it. 1080p native, 60fps, aa, af, to your hearts content

Hazaro said:
My monitor only wobbles when I bump my leg into my desk.

I mashed as hard as I could on my KB (Saitek Eclipse) then hit my desk, but it doesn't wobble at all.

The stand could be sturdier for sure though.

That's nuts, mine wobbles like crazy just from typing. Perhaps I have it sitting too close, I am used to a 37inch screen so I may have to move it back some.

derder said:
I forgot to update this thread. I got my OCZ Vertex 30GB installed with W7RC. I'm loving it. I bought two but am waiting until the next fw update to do raid0.

Tooooo small. I have enough room for the OS+Office+Random Programs+Eve online. :(

Yeah I saw that deal on newegg but 30GB is just too small, 60GB is my minimum for a system drive. Come on prices keep coming down!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
MWS Natural said:
That's nuts, mine wobbles like crazy just from typing. Perhaps I have it sitting too close, I am used to a 37inch screen so I may have to move it back some.
Maybe your desk is flimsier than mine?

I am 23 inches from my monitor, but I don't think that matters.

zbarron

grap3fruitman said:

Corsair 6GBIt lets me overclock well. I just keep the speed at 1600 or below.

derder said:

The hitching problem is likely just that your drive is spinning down to save power/wear, since your SSD is handling most of the grunt work. (If it's happening a ton, it could be a SATA port thing, but I'm just going with the most likely culprit.) Moving over fragmented processes like web cache can help this a bit since it keeps the drive more active.

OCZ does recommend going with a bigger drive, FWIW. Apparently you stay on the top of the performance curve a lot longer if you have 25%+ free drive space. (Although damn, only $115 CDN for the 30, that's pretty cheap :lol ) It looks like I'm at about 44/120 on my drive right now (W7RC + all apps, everything else on a seperate drive.)

Xelinis

GAF, I need help finding the right notebook for me.

Things I could use:

-Enough horsepower to run L4D on max settings
-15.4" screen
-1680x1050 resolution
-6.5lb or less! (Very important!)

Any advice on where to look? I've already checked out Xotic-PC (where I got my last laptop) and found some good stuff but I want to know all my options. If the place offers a discount for shipping the notebook without an OS, that's even better.

would gaf mind having a look at the components I am thinking about purchasing? This will be the first time I build a pc. It will be used first and foremost for racing sims. Is everything on this list compatible with each other? Any glaring mistakes? Thanks for looking.

GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail $109.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128387

AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor Model HDZ720WFGIBOX - Retail $139.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103649

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPI-B - Retail $64.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231246

EVGA 896-P3-1257-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI ... - Retail $194.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130433

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM $74.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319

XCLIO Windtunnel Fully Black Finish 1.0 mm SECC Chassis ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail $109.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811103011

OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC ... - Retail $99.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341018

LITE-ON 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black E-IDE/ATAPI Model iHAP222-06 - OEM $24.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106282

I just bought Vista 64 to go with my new PC. Does MS offer any kind of upgrade dicsounts for those who just got a system before Windows 7 came out?

Also, here are my specs:

i7 quad core 2.66ghz
12GB DDR3 1866hz ram
GTX 295
800watt Corsair PSU
1TB HDD

I should be able to take on any game thrown my way. I'm thinking of picking up Assasin's Creed 2, Lost Planet 2, and Batman: Arkham Asylum when they drop.

UnholySpectacle said:
I just bought Vista 64 to go with my new PC. Does MS offer any kind of upgrade dicsounts for those who just got a system before Windows 7 came out?

Nope, all you can do is buy Windows 7 upgrade edition like anyone else who already owns Vista. They have a free upgrade program for OEMs starting soon, but that only works if you buy a prebuilt system (Dell, etc.) that specifically says it comes with a free upgrade to 7.

UnholySpectacle said:

Waste of money to buy Vista at this point. Should d/l the Win7 RC and use that then just upgrade to retail after it's released.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Frank Lemon said:
would gaf mind having a look at the components I am thinking about purchasing? This will be the first time I build a pc. It will be used first and foremost for racing sims. Is everything on this list compatible with each other? Any glaring mistakes? Thanks for looking.

GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail $109.99

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPI-B - Retail $64.99
You can save some money on your memory by getting this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231226 and using that to go towards an X4 chip.

Regardless of what the description says, this memory pairs nicely at 1066 on that exact board. I have the exact combo running for my brother's HTPC.

Coldsnap

Anyone have a Dell mini and can talk about their experience?
I'm looking for something to do word processing, internet browsing like watching youtube videos/giantbomb/gaf while playing games on my couch.

Coldsnap said:
I'm looking for something to do word processing, internet browsing like watching youtube videos/giantbomb/gaf while playing games on my couch.

playing games on your mini? or console games?

I got my pc and video card delivered today, thanks brain_stew :D Opened up the box for the video card and OMFG! it's like looking at a fetish porn video, how will she make that thing fit in there?

pc001.jpg

volt01

Neo Member
I finally diid it, after 6 months of waiting and planing, I ordered my gaming pc today.

Antec 900 case
WD 640GB Caviar Black HDD
Amd phenom II x4 945
Nividia GTX 260
GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P MOBO
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler
HP Black 22X DVD+R 22X DVD-R SATA 22X DVD Burner

$942 Shipped
-50 MIR
892 All said and done.

Can't wait to build this bad boy.

Coldsnap said:

I've got the original Mini 9 with a 32GB hard drive dual booting OSX and XP.

It's a great machine, as long as you keep your usage expectations reasonable.

The worst part of the machine bar-none is the keyboard. I wouldn't buy this expecting to type on it with any regularity, but it's fine for typing in URLs and answering short e-mails or message board posts. The worst part is that they moved the apostraphe key off of the home row to the bottom, which is maddening. The trackpad is fine, so as long as you can get the URL typed in you're good to go.

I bought it for basically the same reasons you listed. I wanted a machine to toss into my bag for work that I could bust out whenever to check e-mail or the web. At home I use it as an off-to-the-side reference guide for coding, or for keeping a game's faq up while I'm playing.

As for gaming, so far I've only loaded WoW on it. It runs it, incredibly, and not too bad at that if you stay out of Northrend. I mainly use it to keep the auction house up constantly, which it works fine for. I'll probably start loading up an external drive with some classic games that the machine would be perfect for, like old graphic adventures and rpgs.

If you want one, be sure to use Dell's outlet store when there is a coupon going; you'll save a ton.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
This is a bit of a silly question, but assuming I do eventually get a GTX 260 or some other card that forces me to remove a drive cage, is it safe to have two hard drives right up against each other in the same drive cage? Should I possibly separate them with a card reader or something? The top drive cage has access to the front 3.5" slots, so I'll be replacing my old floppy drive with the card reader I just bought.

DarthWoo said:
This is a bit of a silly question, but assuming I do eventually get a GTX 260 or some other card that forces me to remove a drive cage, is it safe to have two hard drives right up against each other in the same drive cage? Should I possibly separate them with a card reader or something? The top drive cage has access to the front 3.5" slots, so I'll be replacing my old floppy drive with the card reader I just bought.

Just have a fan blowing in their general direction and you'll be fine.

Tom Penny

I'm trying to ride out my AMD system I bought years ago for cheap. What is the best AMD2CPU for gaming ( yeah I know it's old) but there arent' too many games that I'm worried about running right now. I can pretty much play all the games I have with an 8800 GT. Would it be better to get another 8800 gt sli' them or just get a x260 / 275 or 4790 ati card.

Do I need to use thermal paste when adding my CPU cooler?

I have a E5200 and a Freezer 7 PRO.
It didn't come with any paste.

If so, would I be able to pick up thermal paste at a local walmart, or is it something I would have to order from Newegg.

Thank you.

bigmit3737 said:

If so, would I be able to pick up thermal paste at a local walmart, or is it something I would have to order from Newegg.

Thank you.

They sell them at Best Buy and Radio Shack.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
bigmit3737 said:

Thank you.
Yes you have to use thermal paste unless you have sanded your CPU IHS and HS to perfection.

Sold at Radioshack I know for sure. Check for AS5, MX-1, MX-2, Artic Ceramique.

If you need a place holder you can use toothpaste and a large variety of other substances that work about just as well, but you shouldn't run them for over a week.

Yoboman

Okay I have an mATX case, I'm thinking of just returning it for an ATX one before I get my mobo... Is it necessary though? Right now my specs are

ASUS Rampage II GENE LGA 1366 Intel X58 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz
GeForce GTX 260
4GB RAM

So it's a pretty decent computer I'm building, I don't want my case to be too small for what I'm building. It's a great case, I'm just wondering should I return it and just go with a larger mobo and case? Or should I be fine with the mATX?

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
tahrikmili said:
Can a 4770 be had for $99 anywhere yet?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102835

Close enough ($109.99).

Or, you could get a 4850 (Which is better) for $104.99 + $10 rebate making a potential price of $94.99 here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161259

Edit, On a totally unrelated point, I have finally ditched my Gigabyte GA-G31-SF2 for a Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3P. The immediate response? My Q9400, which was starting to refuse boot at anything above 3.00Ghz due to my motherboard is now sitting happily at 3.6Ghz. Result.

Frank Lemon said:

AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor Model HDZ720WFGIBOX - Retail $139.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103649

EVGA 896-P3-1257-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI ... - Retail $194.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130433

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM $74.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319

XCLIO Windtunnel Fully Black Finish 1.0 mm SECC Chassis ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail $109.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811103011

OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC ... - Retail $99.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341018

LITE-ON 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black E-IDE/ATAPI Model iHAP222-06 - OEM $24.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106282

If you're spending that much on a GPU, you really ought to be getting a 4890.

Hazaro said:
Yes you have to use thermal paste unless you have sanded your CPU IHS and HS to perfection.

Sold at Radioshack I know for sure. Check for AS5, MX-1, MX-2, Artic Ceramique.

If you need a place holder you can use toothpaste and a large variety of other substances that work about just as well, but you shouldn't run them for over a week.

Thanks I was able to pick up Artic Ceramique (sample size) at a local computer store.
They charged me $5 for it!

I am going to head out to radioshack later this week and pick up a fuller size.

bigmit3737 said:
Thanks I was able to pick up Artic Ceramique (sample size) at a local computer store.
They charged me $5 for it!

I am going to head out to radioshack later this week and pick up a fuller size.

You only need to use the tiniest amount, 1 gram should last you several applications.

Top Bottom