• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Lime said:
Yeah, I've tried searching for 1x2, especially on newegg/zzf and NCIX, but to no avail. But all I see is kits, kits, kits and more kits. There's not a single module anywhere.

The module of ram I'm specifically looking for is 2GB OCZ PC3-10666 CL7.

That's a pretty old module, so yeah, not likely to find it unless you search for the specific model number. I'm seeing some single 1x2GB modules showing up on NCIX search but not OCZ, and they are all rated for faster speeds (which shouldn't be a big deal, it will just downclock.)

So I just figured out how to eject devices so disregard that question of mine.

I'm considering going ahead and forking the slight extra cash for the 4890. Is it really worth the extra money? As in would it be a noticable improvement over an HD 4870 512mb?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Macattk15 said:
I CANNOT get my q6600 to not blue screen me upon startup when OC'ing anywhere above 2.7Ghz.

This isn't a temp issue because the Tuniq Tower is keeping things quite low.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can get more out of this system?
The 680i doesn't really like Quads, so you are kinda SOL like Brain said already.
There are a few tweaking guides on the net about how to make it work better along with some settings, so maybe you can try looking for mobo specific OC threads.
ElyrionX said:
Ok, two questions:

1. Are the current i7 mobos out there backwards compatible with the Quad Core Extreme processors? Will these same mobos be compatible with the upcoming i5?

2. I need to run four monitors out of this rig. What video cards do I need? I assume dual-DVI video cards are fairly common this day? So I can just use two DVI splitters on one video card to get four monitor outputs?
i7 runs 1366 LGA socket and will work with CPU's have have that. Old Quads were LGA 775.

Generally a solution is to run your main GPU and pick up a small cheap one just for the outputs, so you'd need 2 GPU's with whatever outputs you want. Same brand preferably.
PCI-E (main) + a cheap PCI card is good too.
MisterAnderson said:
I'm considering going ahead and forking the slight extra cash for the 4890. Is it really worth the extra money? As in would it be a noticable improvement over an HD 4870 512mb?
Since you just put it together I'd play some games and decide if you need the extra few frames it gives you :)

brain_stew said:
Well headphones is one area where I'd have to recommend a Creative card if you're a gamer actually. The better 3D gaming suppor plus CMSS-3D headphone work a treat, getting true positional sound out of a pair of headphones is pretty damn nice if you ask me.

If you're an audiophile, then yes, there's better options, but simply getting your sound away from the interference caused by the high frequency motherbaord components can work wonders. So any soundcard is "usually" an upgrade if you value audio quality.

With regular 2.1 speakers, then yes, sticking with onboard is fine. It all depends what you want out of a card, feature and usage wise, really.

Oh, and when I was stating "X-Fi based" previously I didn't specificallt mean a Creative card, Auzentech (sp?) produce some audiofile grade cards but retain the gaming features due to the X-FI chipset they have, so they're the best of both worlds. OFcourse, they have a price to match.

Thanks for the input. I don't plan on buying new speakers. But I really wouldn't mind going with a decent headset and sound card for better SQ.

So CMSS-3D headset is a decent buy?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
bigmit3737 said:
Thanks for the input. I don't plan on buying new speakers. But I really wouldn't mind going with a decent headset and sound card for better SQ.

So CMSS-3D headset is a decent buy?
Head-fi.org is a good place to ask these kinds of things.

Hazaro said:
I don't see pictures.

ScreenShot0004.jpg

ScreenShot0014.jpg

ScreenShot0024.jpg

Another couple of noob questions for you guys...

First, is there ANYWAY to reduce the draw distance in Crysis? I can't find any options to do that...and that seems to be the one thing that's killing my framerate. It seems like I generally get 30-60FPS in areas that are relatively confined, and as soon as there's a more open area where you can see every single tree in the horizon it drops to around 15-25ish. Then if there's a firefight in one of these areas it's unplayable in some cases.

Secondly, would overclocking my processor and video card give me any noticable improvements? I have a 3.16GHz core2 duo and an HD 4870 512 mb.

I'm kind of considering taking back the motherboard/cpu/video card/RAM and going one step furtherto either the i7 or phenom ii because in hindsight it feels like I didn't give myself much room to upgrade in the future with this setup. Don't get me wrong it's impressed me so far (aside from those intense wide open Crysis moments) but I'm just worried that in two years this rig might feel old again and I'll be stuck with the processor/RAM.

MotherFan

Ok, I am not an expert by any means and need some help deciding what to do. I have a very low budget and need a couple of upgrades. This is what I currently have:

Pentium 4 2.80 GHZ processor, single core
1.50GB ram
Radeon 1950x pro graphics card

I don't want to just buy a whole new machine but want to be able to play the games coming out. What are cheap options I have? If you need any more info please ask. Thanks!

larvi

shadowsdarknes said:
weight isnt an issue for me. one more quick question, is the cpu that notebook comes with a good cpu?

It's decent, it's a C2D which is what you want but it's near the midrange of the C2D's when you compare clock speeds, FSB and cache. Here's a list of Intel's current mobile C2D line to compare the numbers:
http://www.intel.com/Consumer/Learn/Notebook/core2duo-detail.htm

This is probably the equivalent ACER with a better processor (P8600) but it's not worth $200 more imo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115558

dionysus

Yaldog
Others will know better but I am pretty sure you will be severely CPU limited if you keep the Pentium 4. I would look to get a decent new rig for $500 or save up till you have $500. Pentium 4s won't get you much farther.

MotherFan said:
Ok, I am not an expert by any means and need some help deciding what to do. I have a very low budget and need a couple of upgrades. This is what I currently have:

1.50GB ram

I don't want to just buy a whole new machine but want to be able to play the games coming out. What are cheap options I have? If you need any more info please ask. Thanks!

Yeah your going to def have to get a new motherboard, RAM and graphics card.
Most likely a new powersupply as well.

Skenzin

Banned
I went ahead and built a modest PC for mostly home office but some gaming of course. The last build that I actually paid for was an AthlonXP 2400 based system. Im really excited. I make no bones about my lack of enthusiasm for current PC game landscape. I still feel we need less MMO's and more military simulations (tanks, planes, Choppers etc). What do yoiu guys think?

LIAN LI case
LG 24" monitor
Geforce GTX 275
Asus p5q
Intel Quad 9400
4gig ddr2-1077
640gig HD

Kadey said:
How often do you guys clean the insides of your PC and with what?

Dust off, as already posted. I pick it up in bulk at costco. It's great for cleaning all sorts of electronics. Use it once a month or so on my PC's. Once a week on my consoles.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Probly every few months for a full clean. Once a month ill open it up and pick out the dust by hand thats globed up on the fans(Is this a bad idea?)

Grayman

Metalic Sand said:
Probly every few months for a full clean. Once a month ill open it up and pick out the dust by hand thats globed up on the fans(Is this a bad idea?)
is the computer off?:lol I do not foresee a problem as long as you are grounded

bigswords

MotherFan said:

1.50GB ram

Your CPU is definitely a limiting factor, you need a whole new machine.

A c2duo with a 4870 will allow you to play all games at 1920 X 1080, if you just want to hit 720 resolution a 4770 or 4870 should be enough.

MotherFan

bigswords said:
Your CPU is definitely a limiting factor, you need a whole new machine.

A c2duo with a 4870 will allow you to play all games at 1920 X 1080, if you just want to hit 720 resolution a 4770 or 4870 should be enough.

Thanks. Where is a good place to shop for this stuff?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
DyobolikaL. said:
$500 budget....

Is this a good buy for a new comp?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4505204&CatId=333

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121244

Added I need a cd drive... Idk what else is missing...

If someone can find a better setup for that price or cheaper, help me out..
Start here, then work your way up or down.
MotherFan said:
See the above link.

bigswords

MotherFan said:

Whereabouts do you stay? US? Aus?

There's online shops and such, if you are lazy and need a new monitor and stuff you can just buy it online on Dell, or you can buy parts and put them together (not that hard, just read the instructions it's mostly like lego).

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
DyobolikaL. said:
$500 budget....

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4505204&CatId=333

http://techreport.com/articles.x/16721/2
Guideline, 4850 prices will drop soon by $20 or so. :)
Kadey said:
:lol
Maybe once every 2 or 3 months.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=2000000834&categoryid=10079&brand=
2000000834_500.jpg

papercut

Hey guys, I'm having some trouble with a PC I recently built. The issue is with CPU temperature monitoring: My BIOS tells me that my cpu is at around 37C, but AMD's Overdrive and Core Temp are both telling me that it's more like 60C. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and couldn't get MBM to work. The 60C is worrisome for me, so I'm trying to figure out what's going wrong here but I don't know enough about how temp sensing works to really figure out what's up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Relevant system specs:
Phenom II 940 with stock heatsink/fan
MA-GA790GP-UD4H
PC-65B case

ElyrionX

Hazaro said:
i7 runs 1366 LGA socket and will work with CPU's have have that. Old Quads were LGA 775.

Generally a solution is to run your main GPU and pick up a small cheap one just for the outputs, so you'd need 2 GPU's with whatever outputs you want. Same brand preferably.
PCI-E (main) + a cheap PCI card is good too.

So basically the current i7 mobos are not backwards compatible with all the old processors like the C2D and Quads? Any idea whether the i5s will be 1366 LGA socket?

So, I can't run four monitors out of a single video card?

TheExodu5

Banned
bigmit3737 said:
Yeah your going to def have to get a new motherboard, RAM and graphics card.
Most likely a new powersupply as well.

Not really.

He's got a P4, which are power hungy beasts. His power supply should be plenty. 1.5GB is a tiny bit on the edge, but he should be fine as long as he's running Windows XP.

I'd do motherboard + CPU as your first upgrade. The video card should come next. The RAM is the last priority.

I'm not in the know with what the current budget choice is for a decent performing CPU/mobo combo. i7 is ridiculously expensive for what it is, so steer clear if you're trying to save money. I think AMD is the route of choice nowadays. I don't know the specific components, but I'm sure someone can come up with a decent mobo/CPU combo for you for around $200 or less. Spend another $100 or so and get yourself an HD 4850, and you'll have a pretty massive upgrade for $300.

Skenzin said:
I went ahead and built a modest PC for mostly home office but some gaming of course. The last build that I actually paid for was an AthlonXP 2400 based system. Im really excited. I make no bones about my lack of enthusiasm for current PC game landscape. I still feel we need less MMO's and more military simulations (tanks, planes, Choppers etc). What do yoiu guys think?

LIAN LI case
LG 24" monitor
Geforce GTX 275
Asus p5q
Intel Quad 9400
4gig ddr2-1077
640gig HD

Modest? That is a friggin' beautiful setup. :lol

Sounds pretty darn good to me. I know some people might recommend the Core i7 here, but I really question their worth since the motherboards are all near $300. It's a huge bump in price for the extra performance.

Oh also, I just checked UPS tracking, and my MSI GTX 275 came in today! Upgrading from my 8800GT. So excited! :D

TheExodu5

Banned
MisterAnderson said:
So when you're dealing with different brands with the same chipset does it really matter? Because the Diamond HD 4890 at Fry's is 259.99 I believe...which is much more expensive than that version. Is it just overpriced due to the brandname or is it a better version of that chipset?

In most cases it's brand name or retailer overpricing. There have been cases where different RAM speeds and the like are used, but that's usually not the case.

Of course, some brands to offer advantages. eVGA seems to be very well liked, since they have dual-lifetime warranty on most cards, and offer the step up program. XFX also has a similar warranty. Also, both warranties allow you to OC and cooler-mod your cards without voiding the warranty.

Myself, I've stopped caring. If I have a 2-3 year warranty, it's good enough. I'll be replacing the card within that time frame anyways. I try to go with the card that has the best cooler. Case in point, the GTX 275 I just ordered. The stock cooler looks like this:

evga_gtx275.jpg

I ordered this one instead:

msi-geforce-gtx-275.jpg

It might not look as cool, but it's a much better cooler. Heat pipes + dual fans and better ramsinks means that my card will run both cooler AND quieter than any stock GTX 275 out there. I generally tend to think that a better cooler is preferable to a lifetime warranty.

TheExodu5 said:
In most cases it's brand name or retailer overpricing. There have been cases where different RAM speeds and the like are used, but that's usually not the case.

Of course, some brands to offer advantages. eVGA seems to be very well liked, since they have dual-lifetime warranty on most cards, and offer the step up program. XFX also has a similar warranty. Also, both warranties allow you to OC and cooler-mod your cards without voiding the warranty.

Myself, I've stopped caring. If I have a 2-3 year warranty, it's good enough. I'll be replacing the card within that time frame anyways. I try to go with the card that has the best cooler. Case in point, the GTX 275 I just ordered. The stock cooler looks like this:

evga_gtx275.jpg

I ordered this one instead:

msi-geforce-gtx-275.jpg

It might not look as cool, but it's a much better cooler. Heat pipes + dual fans and better ramsinks means that my card will run both cooler AND quieter than any stock GTX 275 out there. I generally tend to think that a better cooler is preferable to a lifetime warranty.

Looks nice but I would be worried about it dumping heat into my case instead of exhausting out the back.

TheExodu5

Banned
MWS Natural said:
Looks nice but I would be worried about it dumping heat into my case instead of exhausting out the back.

It does dump heat into the case, but if you have decent airflow in the case, getting rid of that heat is no problem.

I've got a CM690, and I have 3 intakes and 2 exhausts going, so the heat is no problem. I rather keep the heat away from the card, which is by far the hottest (and loudest) component in my case.

Most people on here building GTX 275 or HD4890 rigs are going to have a bit more than a single exhaust case.

John_B

I'm forced to go wireless with my desktop. Wireless PCI adapters are not very popular so it's hard to find some good recommendations.

I need something that never drops the signal and has a PCI/PCI-Express bus. What is the best to get?

TheExodu5

Banned
John_B said:
I'm forced to go wireless with my desktop. Wireless PCI adapters are not very popular so it's hard to find some good recommendations.

I need something that never drops the signal and has a PCI/PCI-Express bus. What is the best to get?

Sorry, don't know much on the subject. Here's a good place to start though:

Top Sellers on Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2002810031 4802&name=Top Sellers

The reviews seem pretty glowing for that $20 card. Whether or not a separate antenna suits you, I don't know.

The D-Link is a well known brand, so you may feel more comfortable with that.

The Edimax seems to have some good reviews and supports Wireless N for a nice price.

John_B said:

Is there a specific reason it has to be internal? I prefer external USB wifi adpaters personally. I use this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127247

Works great, get's a steady signal through a floor, usually connects at 270-300mbps to a Dlink DIR-655 router. The nice thing about USB adapters is you can use them on multiple PC's with ease and re-position them to get the best reception.

shadowsdarknes said:
weight isnt an issue for me. one more quick question, is the cpu that notebook comes with a good cpu?

Its not bad, not ideal, but its the underpwered graphics that are going to be the major bottleneck.

There are much better notebook solutions and a 9600m is like a desktop 8600GT, so that's not gaming grade either. You're getting neither power or portability out of this machine, so its a bad buy if you ask me.

Take a look at this, you're getting a huge upgrade in power (specifically gaming ability) and portability yet paying roughly the same price. Imposible to ignore in my book.

This Asus is worth a look as well:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220489

TheExodu5

Banned
SuperEnemyCrab said:
Is there a specific reason it has to be internal? I prefer external USB wifi adpaters personally. I use this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127247

Works great, get's a steady signal through a floor, usually connects at 270-300mbps to a Dlink DIR-655 router. The nice thing about USB adapters is you can use them on multiple PC's with ease and re-position them to get the best reception.

I'd go internal if I planned on keeping it on the same PC. Cheaper, no chance of getting it lost, it won't take up a USB port, and an external antenna should provide better reception. That's just my personal preference. I can definitely see the validity of wanting to go with a USB solution.

DyobolikaL. said:
$500 budget....

No. Crappy motherboard, a PSU likely to set your house on fire and an overpriced videocard. You can do much better just buying the parts indicvidually. I'd build a rig based around the new Athlon ii X2 250, it offers ridiculous bang for buck and plenty of upgrade options. Socket 775 is a dead end platform.

MotherFan said:

1.50GB ram

Sorry to break it to you but any money put into that system is simply wasted imo. You'll be able to salvage the DVD drive/case/PSU and the like if they're decent but the rest has got to go.

An Athlon X2 250 + 4GB RAM + mobo + 4850 GPU can be had for under $300 and will basically max out any game on the market. With new components that cheap it makes no sense upgrading such an out of date PC.

Lime

Crazymoogle said:
That's a pretty old module, so yeah, not likely to find it unless you search for the specific model number. I'm seeing some single 1x2GB modules showing up on NCIX search but not OCZ, and they are all rated for faster speeds (which shouldn't be a big deal, it will just downclock.)

The help is much appreciated. Thanks for looking into it.

But the module isn't old at all. 2GB DDR3 @ 1333mhz? I can't see how that isn't relatively "new".

ElyrionX said:
So basically the current i7 mobos are not backwards compatible with all the old processors like the C2D and Quads? Any idea whether the i5s will be 1366 LGA socket?
Yup, i7 mobos are only compatible with i7s. Intel's 6-core chips coming out next year are also going to use LGA 1366.

Lynnfield ("i5", although it'll probably be named something different) is going to require an LGA 1156 socket, and those mobos are expected to be priced more in line with current LGA 775 boards.

Kadey said:

The pressurized air and about once a month or as the situation warrants, but then again, running 3 laptops, that's pretty easy. I really need to invest in a desktop.

So in the interest of making a build that has more room for upgrading in the future, I'm thinking about exchanging my motherboard/CPU/RAM and getting a slightly better video card for good measure.

Here's what I have now:

Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P --- ???
Processor: Intel Core2Duo E8500 3.16GHz 1333 FSB --- i7? Phenom ii?
Video Card: Diamond Radeon HD 4870 512 MB --- Radeon HD 4890 1 GB
RAM: 4GB Corsair DDR2 --- 4 GB DDR3
Case: Antec Sonata Designer w/ EarthWatts 500w
HDD: Seagate SATA 1.5TB 7200 RPM
DVD: LG 22x SATA DVDRW

What would be the "step up" from this build that is the least I need to pay in order to upgrade to a motherboard that has longevity and compatability with future CPU's/DDR3 RAM?

Earlier on I was being recommended i7 and Phenom ii processors... would that be the direction I should head with that goal in mind? And alternatively what motherboard would I get for these?

Will that case have sufficient airflow for a rig like that? It only has 1 large exhaust in the rear and two smaller intakes in the front. It's a super quiet and sweet looking case that I really like so I'm hoping it will be sufficient in the cooling department... I almost got the Antec 300 over this one due to the top exhaust but this one was just too sleek to pass up.

Edit: How are the Core2 Quads? Would they run on my motherboard? Looks like they are only 30-50ish dollars more than the Core2 Duo I have so maybe I should pick up that if I decide against swapping out my motherboards with something else since I checked on some of the i7 motherboards and they are quite the pretty penny...

Top Bottom