• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Quick question, should I buy a new AMD card, could I put my 8800GT in my second PCI-E slot and use that for physx and other cuda applications?

TheExodu5 said:
Like I said, it's worth it if you plan on upgrading the CPU in the future. With a C2D, you're buying into a dead-end market in terms of CPU upgrades. If you plan on just sticking with that initial i7, then I'd say it's not worth it.

I don't necessarily plan on upgrading the CPU, I just like to have the option of upgrading if it ends up being necessary down the line. I didn't realize the C2D was a dead-end market which is why I am looking for an other option while I have time to return the parts I got.

TheExodu5 said:
Just remember though, by the time you want to upgrade, you might be looking at sub $100 mobos (which may be better than current mobos), which means you'd still be able to upgrade by getting a newer mobo.

True, but I'd rather upgrade parts on a mobo than replace it alltogether out of convenience. In fact yesterday when I was contemplating going for an i7 build over the currect C2D build the issue wasn't the money, it was whether I felt like taking my PC apart and reassambling it again, lol.

TheExodu5 said:
You're certainly getting a better CPU with the i7...it's just a question of whether or not the extra cash is worth the premium to you. What video card are you getting for your build?

The HD 4890 is what I planned to get. I suppose that my "plan" was that if I ever needed an upgrade in the GPU department that a second one of those would be very cheap by then and I could crossfire them together.

I suppose that based on what I've been saying so far you can probably gauge what I want. I clearly don't want to be in a dead end situation with the CPU (or in any department), so with that in mind, would the premium for the i7 be worth it over the cheaper Phenom II x4? Or does the Phenom give me just as much upgrade options? I'm going to return my C2D setup for something it's just a question of what at this point. If I am paying $1K for a setup, I want it to a) last a long time and b) have CPU upgrade options so I don't need to totally build another computer when it becomes obsolete.

TheExodu5

Banned
MisterAnderson said:
I don't necessarily plan on upgrading the CPU, I just like to have the option of upgrading if it ends up being necessary down the line. I didn't realize the C2D was a dead-end market which is why I am looking for an other option while I have time to return the parts I got.

True, but I'd rather upgrade parts on a mobo than replace it alltogether out of convenience. In fact yesterday when I was contemplating going for an i7 build over the currect C2D build the issue wasn't the money, it was whether I felt like taking my PC apart and reassambling it again, lol.

The HD 4890 is what I planned to get. I suppose that my "plan" was that if I ever needed an upgrade in the GPU department that a second one of those would be very cheap by then and I could crossfire them together.

I suppose that based on what I've been saying so far you can probably gauge what I want. I clearly don't want to be in a dead end situation with the CPU (or in any department), so with that in mind, would the premium for the i7 be worth it over the cheaper Phenom II x4? Or does the Phenom give me just as much upgrade options? I'm going to return my C2D setup for something it's just a question of what at this point. If I am paying $1K for a setup, I want it to a) last a long time and b) have CPU upgrade options so I don't need to totally build another computer when it becomes obsolete.

I'm not 100% in the know about the current Phenom's, but since they're a new architecture, and are using a fairly new socket type, I'd think you'd have just as many upgrade options. Either choice is fine, if money is not the issue.

Honestly, I'd recommend against an SLI/Crossfire setup if you're not planning for it from the get-go. Single GPU cards almost always work better (no weird SLI/Crossfire related issues). I'd save the money on the board and put it elsewhere. An SLI board "may" be worth considering, since you could upgrade your GPU in the future, and use your older GPU for PhysX processing. You get the benifit of a single GPU setup, and PhysX acceleration for free.

SLI/Crossfire is really only worth it if you plan on going dual high-end cards from the get go.

Also, I think the GTX 275 is worth considering if you can find one for nearly the same price as the HD 4890. The performance in games seems a bit more stable (there appear to be some problem HD 4890 games, like FarCry 2 [was this fixed yet?]). Also, you get PhysX support, as well better drivers (current drivers allow for SSAO in games). If it's a decent amount cheaper, then the HD 4890 is probably the better option. They were both the same price here in Canada, so I went with the GTX. Also, you'll be able to use the card for PhysX acceleration down the road if you plan on getting a better GPU.

TheExodu5 said:
I'm not 100% in the know about the current Phenom's, but since they're a new architecture, and are using a fairly new socket type, I'd think you'd have just as many upgrade options. Either choice is fine, if money is not the issue.

So is the general consensus that i7's and phenom ii's have similar gaming results but the i7 is better for other things? Will I see a pretty big difference down the line with any of those CPU's versus the C2D?

TheExodu5 said:
Honestly, I'd recommend against an SLI/Crossfire setup if you're not planning for it from the get-go. Single GPU cards almost always work better (no weird SLI/Crossfire related issues). I'd save the money on the board and put it elsewhere. An SLI board "may" be worth considering, since you could upgrade your GPU in the future, and use your older GPU for PhysX processing. You get the benifit of a single GPU setup, and PhysX acceleration for free.

SLI/Crossfire is really only worth it if you plan on going dual high-end cards from the get go.

Also, I think the GTX 275 is worth considering if you can find one for nearly the same price as the HD 4890. The performance in games seems a bit more stable (there appear to be some problem HD 4890 games, like FarCry 2 [was this fixed yet?]). Also, you get PhysX support, as well better drivers (current drivers allow for SSAO in games). If it's a decent amount cheaper, then the HD 4890 is probably the better option. They were both the same price here in Canada, so I went with the GTX. Also, you'll be able to use the card for PhysX acceleration down the road if you plan on getting a better GPU.

Generally speaking, the GTX 275 is just as much as most 4890 cards, except this one on newegg is extremely cheap so it'd be a hard sell for me to pass this up: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131152

I am not at all familiar with PhysX. Is that an nvidia only thing?

TheExodu5

Banned
MisterAnderson said:
Generally speaking, the GTX 275 is just as much as most 4890 cards, except this one on newegg is extremely cheap so it'd be a hard sell for me to pass this up: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131152

I am not at all familiar with PhysX. Is that an nvidia only thing?

Well, you don't seem to be completely bent up on going as cheap as you possibly can. I'd at least recommend the $200 XFX HD 4890. PowerColor is a somewhat unproven brand, as the lack of NewEgg reviews would seem to indicate. With XFX, you'll get a transferable lifetime warranty (just make sure to register the card within 30 days, and keep your receipt), the ability to overclock and cooler-mod your card without voiding your warranty. Well worth the $20 premium, IMO.

As for PhysX, it's an NVidia only thing, sadly.

For pure gaming performance for the money, the HD 4890 is certainly your best bet...it's really unbeatable at that price. If you really were going with an SLI board, then the GTX 275 would seem a little more attractive, since it would be usable as a PhysX card in the future.

However, I also forgot to mention, if you're going for a dual-card board, you'll also have to remember to get a beefy PSU. You probably wouldn't want anything less than a 750W Corsair.

TheExodu5 said:
Well, you don't seem to be completely bent up on going as cheap as you possibly can. I'd at least recommend the $200 XFX HD 4890. PowerColor is a somewhat unproven brand, as the lack of NewEgg reviews would seem to indicate. With XFX, you'll get a transferable lifetime warranty (just make sure to register the card within 30 days, and keep your receipt), the ability to overclock and cooler-mod your card without voiding your warranty. Well worth the $20 premium, IMO.

As for PhysX, it's an NVidia only thing, sadly.

For pure gaming performance for the money, the HD 4890 is certainly your best bet...it's really unbeatable at that price. If you really were going with an SLI board, then the GTX 275 would seem a little more attractive, since it would be usable as a PhysX card in the future.

However, I also forgot to mention, if you're going for a dual-card board, you'll also have to remember to get a beefy PSU. You probably wouldn't want anything less than a 750W Corsair.

Alright so what exactly is hte purpose of PhysX? And my current case has 500w PSU... I'm assuming I can upgrade that when I want? It's an earthwatts that came with the Sonata.

TheExodu5

Banned
MisterAnderson said:
Alright so what exactly is hte purpose of PhysX? And my current case has 500w PSU... I'm assuming I can upgrade that when I want? It's an earthwatts that came with the Sonata.

PhysX just adds a bunch of physics related effects to some games. In Mirror's Edge, you get cloth-physics (flags, drapes, etc...) everywhere, shattering glass, etc... It's really a fairly niche technology at this point, but NVidia seems to be pushing it a fair amount. I really don't consider it all that worthwhile at this point with a single GPU setup, but it might be very worthwhile in the future, who knows.

500W is even the bare minimum you'd want for that HD 4890. You'd definitely need to swap it if ever you planned on Crossfiring. I would highly recommend against a Core i7 on that 500W PSU. That'd be adding an extra 65W of power draw, which I think would be too much for that 500W PSU to handle.

edit: looks like the Phenom XII is 125W. That's 60W more than a C2D. Unless you change PSUs, I think you'll need to stick with your C2D.

TheExodu5 said:

XFX Version that comes with a double lifetime warranty for $160 with code SIZZLE15. Shipping starts at $9. After these recent price drops a $160 4890 pretty much blows the door of anything else when it comes to performance/value, just sucks I bought mine two weeks too early lol.

TheExodu5

Banned
MWS Natural said:
XFX Version that comes with a double lifetime warranty for $160 with code SIZZLE15. Shipping starts at $9. After these recent price drops a $160 4890 pretty much blows the door of anything else when it comes to performance/value, just sucks I bought mine two weeks too early lol.

There you go. There's no way you can beat that.

Here are some great PSU options if you wanted to check that out:

Corsair 650W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

Corsair 850W (if you want to guarantee you have enough juice for high-end Crossfire/SLI cards)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009

TheExodu5 said:
500W is even the bare minimum you'd want for that HD 4890. You'd definitely need to swap it if ever you planned on Crossfiring. I would highly recommend against a Core i7 on that 500W PSU. That'd be adding an extra 65W of power draw, which I think would be too much for that 500W PSU to handle.

edit: looks like the Phenom XII is 125W. That's 60W more than a C2D. Unless you change PSUs, I think you'll need to stick with your C2D.

The link MWS Natural just gave me pretty much settled the card issue... (thanks by the way)

Now the PSU thing has me worried. I can swap out my PSU for something better, right? Would that 750 corsair be overkill if I don't crossfire?

TheExodu5

Banned
MisterAnderson said:
The link MWS Natural just gave me pretty much settled the card issue... (thanks by the way)

Now the PSU thing has me worried. I can swap out my PSU for something better, right? Would that 750 corsair be overkill if I don't crossfire?

If you don't crossfire, it may be overkill, but honestly, it's only $10 more than the 650W, so I wouldn't recommend against it either. It also would be more sufficient for a dual-card setup in a future build. Don't forget, your PSU will probably last a lot longer than your PC will, so it should be good for another build.

The nice thing about those Corsairs is they have a single 12V rail, which means your video cards are guaranteed to get the full 12V power of the PSU. Some PSU manufacturers split up power unevenly over multiple rails.

That XFX card from ewiz.com seems to have jumped up about 15 dollars, so it's now 173.99 after the coupon and not including shipping. Still a good deal.

TheExodu5

Banned
It seems like that 750W Corsair should be able to handle Crossfire'd HD 4890 no problem. People are reporting running SLI GTX 280 on em, though I'm not sure what kind of CPU they were running. Regardless, the HD 4890 takes quite a bit less power.

TheExodu5 said:
If you don't crossfire, it may be overkill, but honestly, it's only $10 more than the 650W, so I wouldn't recommend against it either. It also would be more sufficient for a dual-card setup in a future build. Don't forget, your PSU will probably last a lot longer than your PC will, so it should be good for another build.

The nice thing about those Corsairs is they have a single 12V rail, which means your video cards are guaranteed to get the full 12V power of the PSU. Some PSU manufacturers split up power unevenly over multiple rails.

Looks like the 750w is the best deal with the $20 mail in rebate it comes to $89.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

Sucks that I'm going to have to spend another 90 bucks, but the last thing I want is for all these parts to fry, lol.

So I suppose unless I can be convinced otherwise, I'm leaning towards:

i7 build:

i7 920 2.66 GHz: $279.99
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R x58: $184.99 after mail in rebate
Corsair 750W PSU: $89.99 after mail in rebate
Corsair XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3: $114.99 after mail in rebate (thought I'd go 3 x 2GB to take advantage of triple channel... worth it? Or 4 GB is plenty with dual channel?)
XFX ATI Radeon HD 4890 1GB: $180.00

Total: $849.96

What I'm returning:

Core2Duo E8500: $189.00
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P: $134.99
Corsair XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2: $64.99
Diamond ATI Radeon HD 4870 512GB: $199.99 (lol ripoff, had a $20 mail in rebate though just haven't sent it yet)

Total: $588.97

Difference = $260.99

That's not too bad... although a Phenom II setup would probably be half that. Can anyone vouch for one or the other (i7 vs Phenom II) as the way to go for someone who wants a long lasting/upgradable system?

Edit: Phenom II builds:

Phenom II x4 Deneb 3.0 GHz: $225.00
-------------- x4 920 2.8 GHz: $189.99
-------------- x4 810 2.6 GHz: $169.00
Gigabyte GA-MA70OXT-UD4P: $124.99 after mail in rebate
Corsair 750W PSU: $89.99 after mail in rebate
Corsair 4GB DDR3 RAM: $99.99
XFX ATI Radeon HD 4890 1GB: $180.00

Deneb build total: $719
920 build total: $683.99
810 build total: $663

Difference: $74.03 - $130

Only thing is that motherboard doesn't have triple channel memory, how much better is that versus dual channel? Otherwise it looks like a much cheaper alternative to the i7... if anyone can recommend getting one or the other I'd much appreciate it.

I went the Phenom II x3 route but if money is no problem I'd definitely go i7. Personally when building my PC I wanted to get the most powerful build I could for the money.

Phenom II x3 BE (overclocked 3.6ghz)
Patriot 4gb DDR
Zalmon CPU Cooler
Biostar MB
750W Xigmatek Power Supply
1TB Western Digital HDD
HIS 4890 (overclocked to 950mhz)
Lanbox Lite SFF case
23inch Samsung 1080p LCD

After rebates I wound up spending around $800 and I couldn't be happier. Once windows 7 is released I will upgrade to Raid-0 SSD's and move my current 1TB drive into a stand alone networked enclosure.

This was my first full build PC, my next one I will probably go all out on with the top of the line everything (liquid cooled, quad sli/crossfire etc) but for now this will serve me well with room for upgrades.

Another couple of quick questions... the i7 920 is 2.66 GHz and the Phenom II x4 Deneb is 3.0 GHz. Is the i7 better because of better architecture or something? The clockspeed on the quad Phenom is higher and yet it costs much less. Sorry for the n00b question (and all of the other ones), still learning here.

And one other thing, someone else asked a question earlier that never got answered:

Can you have an ATI card as your main GPU and an Nvidia as the PhysX card? Or do they both need to be Nvidia?

MisterAnderson said:
Another couple of quick questions... the i7 920 is 2.66 GHz and the Phenom II x4 Deneb is 3.0 GHz. Is the i7 better because of better architecture or something? The clockspeed on the quad Phenom is higher and yet it costs much less. Sorry for the n00b question (and all of the other ones), still learning here.
Yeah, the i7 basically does more work per clock cycle, so it can get more done at a slower speed. It's also easy to overclock them up to nearly 4GHz, so if you want even more performance you can go that route.

rohlfinator said:
Yeah, the i7 basically does more work per clock cycle, so it can get more done at a slower speed. It's also easy to overclock them up to nearly 4GHz, so if you want even more performance you can go that route.

If I was to overclock I'm assuming I'd have to get a fan that's better than the stock CPU fan right?

MisterAnderson said:
If I was to overclock I'm assuming I'd have to get a fan that's better than the stock CPU fan right?
You could probably do a small overclock with the stock cooler (maybe up to ~3 GHz or so?) but if you wanted to go close to 4 GHz you'd need an aftermarket cooler, yeah.

MoFuzz

ehhh, goin a bit off topic, but I figured I would ask here since most of you are PC gamers and might know:

I just started playing through Dead Space on PC and it's awesome so far except the controls. I've already disabled Vsync in game so as to minimize input lag, but does anyone know how to adjust aiming sensitivity for the gamepad on the pc version?

The slider in the options only seems to affect mouse speed, whereas I'm using a wireless 360 controller.

The default speed is way too fast for my tastes.

Kintaco

Wanting to upgrade my current computer, mainly just the motherboard and CPU. I currently have:
Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (I think that's the one, I know it's X2 3800+)
3gb Corsair ram
Geforce 9800 GT
640gb HD.

I'm mainly looking to upgrade the processor and mobo unless someone can talk me into more stuff. :p I'm looking to spend no more than $400 but would like to stay in the $300 range. I am so out of the loop on computer hardware so if anyone has links to comparison of CPUs that would be nice.

yanhero

Hey guys, I'm building a new PC for my buddy who has around an $800 budget.

Here's what I'm planning to get for him, the prices are in canadian btw.

Case
  • Antec 300.......................$50

DVD
  • Samsung SH-S223F..........$30

RAM
  • OCZ 4GB DDR3-1600.......$75

HD - is the 640gb really that much faster to be worth $20 more if I don't care about the space?
  • Segate 500GB 7200RPM...............$60
  • Western Digital 640GB 7200RPM...$80

MB - Whats the difference between these MBs? Is the 790 worth another 50?
  • Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3..........$85
  • Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P......$135

CPU - Which one is the best for the price??
  • AMD Phenom II X2 550 3.1Ghz....$130
  • AMD Phenom II X3 710 2.6Ghz....$115
  • AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8Ghz....$175

GFX - Which one is best for the price for a 1280x1024 monitor?
  • Gigabyte Radeon 4850 512MB...$100
  • XFX Radeon 4850 1GB...............$140
  • BFG GTX260 896MB.................. $165
  • XFX Radeon 4870 1GB...............$190

PSU - Is 520W enough for this?
  • Corsair HX520W..............$80
  • Corsair TX850W..............$110

So which parts should I get for him??? Any other suggestions?? Thx! :D

Slavik81

Anybody have a clue what the issue might be for this problem:
- The computer's operation slows down to a crawl.
- Restarting, hoping to fix the problem, the computer makes it to loading windows before shutting itself off.
- Further attempts at starting the computer also ends a few seconds in at the loading of Windows.

I'm thinking that sounds like overheating. Any other possibilities?

Slavik81 said:
- The computer's operation slows down to a crawl.
- Restarting, hoping to fix the problem, the computer makes it to loading windows before shutting itself off.
- Further attempts at starting the computer also ends a few seconds in at the loading of Windows.

I'm thinking that sounds like overheating. Any other possibilities?

Possible dead or dying HDD or power supply issues...

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
yanhero said:
Hey guys, I'm building a new PC for my buddy who has around an $800 budget.
[/LIST]
Grab a WD 640GB HDD.
520w is more than enough.
Based on 1280x1024 I think a faster dual core would better :lol (550)
Look to upgrade that monitor soon and grab the 260, otherwise the GB 4850.
Slavik81 said:
HDD?
MisterAnderson said:
So is the general consensus that i7's and phenom ii's have similar gaming results but the i7 is better for other things? Will I see a pretty big difference down the line with any of those CPU's versus the C2D?
Grab the 4890, at the price it's just silly.
There's a difference now, but I think the gap will only widen later on.

If you are spending that much I don't see the point in saving $100 or so and not getting an i7.

There are numerous articles on the techreport and anandtech for you to read.

So I ended up getting the...

i7 920
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
Patriot DDR3 6GB 1600 MHz

The 750W Corsair PSU was 30 dollars overpriced at Fry's compared to newegg so I'm getting that off there... so going to have to wait to put it all together for a few days until I get that in the mail. Is Patriot a good brand for RAM? Was going to get Corsair after hearing good things about that brand but Patriot was about 20 dollars cheaper and the Fry's guy said it's pretty respectable.

noonche

How's this look GAF? Am I missing anything major? Anything totally mismatched?

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model $288.99

GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard $209.99

OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) $139.99

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" $74.99

Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model AD-7240S-0B $26.99

XFX GX260NADFF GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card $189.99

Acer X213Hbid 21.5" 5ms HDMI Widescreen Full HD 1080P LCD Monitor $189.99

Antec EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active +
Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
$104.94

Subtotal: $1,121.87

All from newegg right now.

Will it be easy to get Windows 7 RC1 installed on this until the real version comes out?

Thanks guys.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Be careful about those 4890 deals from Fatwallet. Seems a lot of people on FW are now getting annoyed because ewiz seems to have been switching prices around a lot, even so quickly that some people ended up with one price when they added the thing to their cart, and it increased right as they hit the final submit button. They're not too happy about the hassle of canceling the orders either. I think I'm going to wait and see what happens with prices once the official price drops occur.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
MisterAnderson said:

i7 920
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R

The 750W Corsair PSU was 30 dollars overpriced at Fry's compared to newegg so I'm getting that off there... so going to have to wait to put it all together for a few days until I get that in the mail. Is Patriot a good brand for RAM? Was going to get Corsair after hearing good things about that brand but Patriot was about 20 dollars cheaper and the Fry's guy said it's pretty respectable.
Grab some G.Skill or Corsair or Kingston from Newegg too while you are at it to save a bit.
Patriot RAM is fine if not.
alske said:
How's this look GAF? Am I missing anything major? Anything totally mismatched?
Win 7 is all good, looks nice.

TheExodu5

Banned
MisterAnderson said:

i7 920
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R

Patriot RAM should be fine.

Battersea Power Station said:
I've been getting into some amateur film making lately and would like a machine that can run Premiere Pro with lots and LOTS of clips loaded, which probably means crazy RAM or an extremely speedy drive. Of course, I'm trying to lower the cost as much as possible, or else I would just go buy some pre-build dream computer. Would one of the gaming PCs you guys describe in the many pages here work for me or do I need something more specific?

I don't do a lot of gaming, but every year or so I'll buy something with buzz. A year ago I bought Orange Box (and then the Eps. I/II pack) and I'll probably get Alan Wake when it comes out.

Thanks.
I used Google to find this thread, and I didn't see that it was on the gaming side. I can't find a similar thread on the OT side, so I'm going to give this just a last try. I'm trying to keep it around $500ish.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I used Google to find this thread, and I didn't see that it was on the gaming side. I can't find a similar thread on the OT side, so I'm going to give this just a last try. I'm trying to keep it around $500ish.
All $500 will net you is an econobox...

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Hey guys, I have a question. Here are my computer specs at the moment:

PSU: Corsair HX520W
Mobo: Gigabyte 965P-DS3
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo e6550 @ 2.33GHz
RAM: 2GB DDR2
Video Card: BFG Tech 7950GTOC

Unfortunately, my video card has "blown up", I guess they overclocked it too high or something because my fans are fine and it's well ventilated. I can only use the computer on 640x480 and I have to try to avoid any strenuous graphic activity (I have to minimize from youtube videos in fear of it crashing). I was considering RMA'ing the card but I decided to just get a new card. I was just wondering what card would you suggest with my setup? I want to spend less than 150-200. I want to be able to play current games (WoW, BioShock, CoD4, TF2, etc.) and future games decently. With my 7950GT, I was able to play all those games I listed with at least 60fps constant, so that's my goal with my next card. Also, would you suggest me replacing my processor, if so, any suggestions? Thanks.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Judderman said:
Hey guys, I have a question. Here are my computer specs at the moment:

PSU: Corsair HX520W
Mobo: Gigabyte 965P-DS3
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo e6550 @ 2.33GHz
RAM: 2GB DDR2
Video Card: BFG Tech 7950GTOC

Unfortunately, my video card has "blown up", I guess they overclocked it too high or something because my fans are fine and it's well ventilated. I can only use the computer on 640x480 and I have to try to avoid any strenuous graphic activity (I have to minimize from youtube videos in fear of it crashing). I was considering RMA'ing the card but I decided to just get a new card. I was just wondering what card would you suggest with my setup? I want to spend less than 150-200. I want to be able to play current games (WoW, BioShock, CoD4, TF2, etc.) and future games decently. With my 7950GT, I was able to play all those games I listed with at least 60fps constant, so that's my goal with my next card. Also, would you suggest me replacing my processor, if so, any suggestions? Thanks.
You should RMA, you'll probably get an older 8800GTS (G80 core, not G92) in return.

As for the card nVidia flavor is GTX 260 and ATi is 4890. If you have to preference the 4890 is the better buy atm.
Scroll up for some links :)

Your CPU is fine, the best investment would be to overclock that sucker to 3Ghz, invest in an aftermarket cooler such as the cheap Rosewill one on newegg.

Hazaro said:
Really? What about this dude:
brain_stew said:
Hey be patient! I'm busy atm! :lol

I said I'd put something together for you and here it is! By spending just a little bit more you're getting such, a much, much better machine with aprts that you can use time and time again in the future:

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=8730654

Less than $550 in total, and you're getting an excellent machine for that. Max out all current games, huge OCing potential, plenty of future upgrades, roomy case and excellent, efficient PSU, its all there.

Actually after rebates and promo codes its closer to $500!!
I figure if it can max out all current games it should be robust in video editing as well. But I want to make sure. Thanks.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Really? What about this dude:I figure if it can max out all current games it should be robust in video editing as well. But I want to make sure. Thanks.
That's a budget gaming rig :)

For video and what have you want you would be MUCH better off with a Quad (+100) and 8GB RAM (+50) if you need it.

What are you running now?

Here's a nice page for you too look at.
http://techreport.com/articles.x/17023/8

noonche

Hazaro said:
Grab some G.Skill or Corsair or Kingston from Newegg too while you are at it to save a bit.
Patriot RAM is fine if not.

Win 7 is all good, looks nice.

Ordered. :D

I haven't built a PC from scratch since the original Athlon 1.4 was a top-of-the-line CPU. :D

DyTonic

Banned
brain_stew said:
Ahh shit, I feared that, well enter in these product codes:

N82E16813128387

N82E16827136152

N82E16811129024

N82E16814161259

N82E16819103681

N82E16820145184

N82E16822136319

And for anyone that knows, how do I make a Newegg wish list public?

The video card you picked out for me, I never heard of that company...

Kintaco said:
Wanting to upgrade my current computer, mainly just the motherboard and CPU. I currently have:
Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (I think that's the one, I know it's X2 3800+)
3gb Corsair ram
Geforce 9800 GT
640gb HD.

I'm mainly looking to upgrade the processor and mobo unless someone can talk me into more stuff. :p I'm looking to spend no more than $400 but would like to stay in the $300 range. I am so out of the loop on computer hardware so if anyone has links to comparison of CPUs that would be nice.

Look into whether or not your motherbaord supports the latest Phenom ii processors, you may just need a simple BIOS upgrade to be able to get a very affordable and cheap CPU upgrade. In the meantime you could always just OC that X2 3800+, once clocked, they still deal with most games pretty decently.

The X3 720 and X4 940 and 945 would be the CPUs to look at.

Hazaro said:

Actually you can get a Athlon X2 ii 250 rig with a 4850 for around the $500 mark these days. Its a better CPU to start with and leaves you on a socket with more upgrade options. See the config I put together for another poster at the top of the page for an excellent example.

Edit: Its for video editing? Hmm,not much of a problem, just switch out the CPU to this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103471

And perhaps double up on the RAM and customise the HDD setup you're on the right track. Its not happening for $500 but $600-$750 is realistic.

No need to drop the GPU (though you can switch it to the XFX 4850 linked in my other post) as its only an extra $100 and means any gaming urges will be more than satisfied and with GPUs being used increasingly heavily in heavy duty applications, you should see some nice speed improvements in the years to come. GPUs are perfectly suited to video encoding.

DyobolikaL. said:
The video card you picked out for me, I never heard of that company...

Not an issue at all really, most borad partners adhere to very similar standards. I'd only ever pay a small premium for an XFX or EVGA card or something with a premium cooling solution, most of the cards and up getting put together in the same factory and the important part (the graphics core) is produced by TMSC without fail.

Having said that, with recent pricecuts,this is a better deal:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150337

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
brain_stew said:
Actually you can get a Athlon X2 ii 250 rig with a 4850 for around the $500 mark these days. Its a better CPU to start with and leaves you on a socket with more upgrade options. See the config I put together for another poster at the top of the page for an excellent example.

Edit: Its for video editing? Hmm,not much of a problem, just switch out the CPU to this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103471

And perhaps double up on the RAM and customise the HDD setup you're on the right track. Its not happening for $500 but $600-$750 is realistic.

No need to drop the GPU (though you can switch it to the XFX 4850 linked in my other post) as its only an extra $100 and means any gaming urges will be more than satisfied and with GPUs being used increasingly heavily in heavy duty applications, you should see some nice speed improvements in the years to come. GPUs are perfectly suited to video encoding.
Just indicating the difference, don't know why but his post struck me as very harsh on the budget, only a brave few set out with that mindset :lol

But with the 940 down in price you get pretty solid performance.
I'd toss in a 1TB drive instead as well.

*As for graphics cards, almost all are produced in the same 1 or 2 factories so it comes down to warranty.

commissar

Hey guys, just some cool and quiet advice if I may on my Shuttle (a SP35P2)
The first is my basic setup at the moment
computah-1.jpg

Below is what I want to do to it:
computah1-1.jpg

Basically replacing most of the fans, and adding an intake fan opposite the CPU heatsink/fan, so ideally the air just blows straight past it.
Would this break the overall flow of air in the system? I don't want to end up with any hotspots.

I'll be padding the inside with insulating sound foam, and was looking into getting a thin little filter on all my intakes (thin to reduce air friction, but still enough to keep the worst dust out).

Any suggestions or advice? Even a "sounds good" would be appreciated! Thanks :)

edit: whoops, file sizes were huuuuge.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I don't see how it would.

I believe 1 or 2 here are shuttle owners as well.
Might check overclockers forums for their HTPC section as well as SPCR and some other forums more inclined to Shuttles.

Quick question about the RAM I got and the motherboard... it's 1600MHz, but the specifications for the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R says:

Memory Standard: DDR3 2000+/1333

Does that mean only 2000+ and 1333 are compatable or anything in between?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
MisterAnderson said:
Quick question about the RAM I got and the motherboard... it's 1600MHz, but the specifications for the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R says:

Memory Standard: DDR3 2000+/1333

Does that mean only 2000+ and 1333 are compatable or anything in between?
Anything goes as long as it fits

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Sleeker said:
When is USB 3.0 coming?
I'm loading a 2 gig file here and its taking 10 minutes.
Buy a faster flash drive for starters. Also note lots of small files will slow transferspeed waaaaaaaay down.

Also in forever :lol
Also buy Kingston.

commissar

Hazaro said:
I don't see how it would.

I believe 1 or 2 here are shuttle owners as well.
Might check overclockers forums for their HTPC section as well as SPCR and some other forums more inclined to Shuttles.
Cheers for the advice, I'll try over there as well :)

TheExodu5

Banned

Video editing doesn't benefit from gaming cards. You need to buy specific cards for that, and they're really expensive, so lets just say those are out of the question. What you'll want is a good processor, which means going to an i7 rig. i7 may not be that much better for gaming, but for applications such as video editing, it is a lot faster than anything else out there.

You'd be looking at almost $500 for the CPU + mobo alone. Add 8GB of RAM for $100-150 or so, and at least $100 for a massive hard drive (probably the 1TB WD Black Edition), another $100 for a case + PSU combo. You'll be over budget for sure.

If you really need to keep it at $500, then you need to forget about Core i7 or a decent Phenom, but you will be losing quite a bit of capability there.

edit: if you're really going to do this a lot, I think the core i7 premium over the Phenom 940 is worth it. If you don't need all that performance, then the Phenom is fine.

Top Bottom