• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Firestorm

FrostuTheNinja said:
I'm lookin' at two different 4890s. Sapphire and Asus...

What would you all recommend?

I'm just here staring at these two... Wondering which one I should get.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102848

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121308

Edit:

Are these the only kind of differences between the branded cards?
Why not XFX?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150359

$195, offers double lifetime warranty (means it can be transferred to whoever you sell it to) + they warranty even if you overclock it.

DyTonic

Banned
Completed it last night, took 2 months... but it's done.

CPU: Amd 2 x4 940 black
PSU: 750w Rosewill
GPU: Evga GTX 260
Mobo: Asus m478 pro
Ram: OCZ 4g

thnx brain for all the help

59wys6.jpg

tinypic.com

2i8vg4k.jpg

DanManIt

Neo Member
I'm looking at getting the Sony FW series laptop (16" in. screen) but I can't decide between the two resolutions

I can go either 1600 x 900 or 1920 x 1080

It's going to have a 4650 in it and I plan to do gaming, watch movies and blu-ray.

Ughhh someone needs to talk me off the ledge.

Long story short, I'm ditching cable in favor of buying a second pc to run with Boxee to play media on my HDTV. I've got a few terabytes of media I've ripped on a Windows Home Server box, so this setup should work well.

I could just go with a low end dual core AMD with a cheaper motherboard with integrated graphics and be done with it for cheap, but the Newegg deals on higher end stuff are looking too good to pass up, specifically on the Phenom II 945 and the HD4850. Those two, with a motherboard in a combo deal, would run about $280 after rebates, which IMO is pretty darn good.

I've already got a gaming pc that's more than decent (Q6600 @ 3ghz, 4850), but man it'd be nice to make that HTPC a great second gaming machine if I ever need to take it on the go, which would happen occasionally. What to do, what to do...

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Okay I finally found out what was wrong with my PC and replaced my mobo.

Question about changing hardware though, generally I just reinstall Windows but I have quite some things on my PC that I don't want to lose. How would I go about this? Does changing motherboard fuck things up? Could I do a repair install. I have both Windows XP (32-bit) and Windows 7 (64-bit) installed. Every other hardware stays the same. I'm going from a GA-EP45-DS3L to a P5Q SE2. Any help from someone knowledgeable would be appreciated! :D

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Huuuuurraaaaaaaaay, all my parts finally got in (the PSU was a bit delayed) and I threw everything together, turned it on - worked great for a few seconds and BAM. Would shut down. Did this over and over until the length it would last was smaller and smaller until it wouldn't even last a second.

Did a loooot of troubleshooting, forums and tech support and all that, and it looks like the problem is centered around my CPU.

It gets too hot, wayyyyyyyyyyy too hot. I actually physically felt it for a test, and it nearly burned me within a few seconds. I was under the impression I wouldn't need a CPU cooler if I wasn't OCing, but that got waaaay too hot.

One person suggested my CPU itself might have gotten fried, which could be the case - my mobo getting fried was the original reason I am rebuilding my comp, the cpu could have gone with it.

So what this boils down to is - I either need a fan/heatsink for my CPU, or a new CPU all together. What is super-smart gaf's advice?

Ok... so I decided on a 4890. Excellent. Then I went to a site to order one... and was faced with about 10 of them. =/

Can anyone tell me what I'm supposed to be looking for / avoiding? Here's the online shop I was looking at:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=56&subid=1403

I just want one that works like a 4890 is supposed to, and preferably isn't too loud. Don't care about any freebies or games, do care that it's got all the proper gubbins to allow me HDMI out.

dionysus

Yaldog
A CPU should not get that hot that fast no matter what ambient temps are. You have a defective CPU or motherboard socket. Even if the root problem is in the motherboard, the CPU is also probably fried as a result.

Kinitari said:
I was under the impression I wouldn't need a CPU cooler if I wasn't OCing, but that got waaaay too hot.

------------------------------

So what this boils down to is - I either need a fan/heatsink for my CPU, or a new CPU all together. What is super-smart gaf's advice?
Wait... are you trying to run a CPU without a heatsink / fan? That's not going to work.

What sort of processor is it?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
dionysus said:
A CPU should not get that hot that fast no matter what ambient temps are. You have a defective CPU or motherboard socket.

I figured as much - all signs point to the CPU, as I just read this from start to finish - and the guy who was having the problems with his build was having pretty much the exact same problems as me. I even went as far as to try pretty much all the steps he tried to repair/troubleshoot his system, and the exact same things happened to me. He eventually replaced the CPU and there were no more problems.

*sigh*

Well I did want to replace my CPU in August, as I have an old old Pentium D 930 series. I have a bit of extra funds I could drop on a CPU, but I don't know which to grab, socket 775 - and nothing that will make me cry from the expense (to be more clear, something between 100-150 would be ideal, 200 bucks would be the absolute limit I would like to avoid).

NCIX.com is the website of choice for me! I am going to start browsing, any advice would be much appreciated.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Psychotext said:
Wait... are you trying to run a CPU without a heatsink / fan? That's not going to work.

What sort of processor is it?

Pentium D 930 series. I may have misread someone in this thread, but when I posted I was going to get a CPU cooler, they told me not to bother unless I was OCing.

Psychotext said:
Ok... so I decided on a 4890. Excellent. Then I went to a site to order one... and was faced with about 10 of them. =/

Can anyone tell me what I'm supposed to be looking for / avoiding? Here's the online shop I was looking at:

I just want one that works like a 4890 is supposed to, and preferably isn't too loud. Don't care about any freebies or games, do care that it's got all the proper gubbins to allow me HDMI out.

Just buy the XFX. Great brand, I'm told. The XTX XXX edition (the more expensive XFX card) comes with HAWX and all of the dongles you could need, in addition to coming factory overclocked. The cheaper model might be fine too but might not come with the dongles for stuff like HDMI/component out...

Kinitari said:
Pentium D 930 series. I may have misread someone in this thread, but when I posted I was going to get a CPU cooler, they told me not to bother unless I was OCing.
Whoever told you that was an idiot. You might be able to run it fanless underclocked, but you sure as hell wont be able to run it without a heatsink.

You'll be lucky if you haven't fried it.

dionysus

Yaldog
Psychotext said:
Whoever told you that was an idiot. You might be able to run it fanless underclocked, but you sure as hell wont be able to run it without a heatsink.

They probably said he didn't need to buy a third party expensive cooler. Anyway, even so, the lack of heatsink or fan would not make a CPU heat up to the point of burning a hand in a couple of seconds. Something else is wrong.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Psychotext said:

Well if I can avoid buying a new CPU that would be the best for now, lets see if I can salvage the situation.

If it was fried, would it be noticeably fried? Would it still boot up? Because after the CPU cools off a bit, it still boots up, goes as far as the windows loading screen then it shuts off. I am assuming if it was seriously damaged I wouldn't get so far? *sigh* This is my first computer that I am building, I was hoping it would go off without a hitch.

Kinitari said:

You probably asked if you needed to buy a HSF and someone said no. CPU's always come with their own HSF's (Heat Sink Fans), and the assumption is you will use that. You always need one of these in a desktop PC, whether its default of aftermarket.

Kinitari said:
Well if I can avoid buying a new CPU that would be the best for now, lets see if I can salvage the situation.

If it was fried, would it be noticeably fried? Would it still boot up? Because after the CPU cools off a bit, it still boots up, goes as far as the windows loading screen then it shuts off. I am assuming if it was seriously damaged I wouldn't get so far? *sigh* This is my first computer that I am building, I was hoping it would go off without a hitch.

If the CPU gets too hot the motherboard will shut it down, which is probably what is happening repeatedly. Stop trying to turn it on altogether and get a HSF from somewhere.

AstroLad said:
Gotta say I am loving life with a desktop. It had been so long just because a desktop hasn't made sense for me for a while. But the performance, the monitor, the upgrading options down the line--FREEDOM.
I'm in the same boat. For a while, I thought "I love the mobility and I game on consoles anyway so why on Earth would I want a desktop?" It's amazing how much life has changed now that I'm not in college anymore and don't need to be as tethered to a computer as I once was.

dionysus said:
Something else is wrong.
There probably is now, yeah. You can easily feel like you're going to burn yourself if you touch something around 70 degrees (C) for a few seconds... and the CPU could easily reach that in no time without a heatsink.

The fact that it turns off could simply indicate thermal protection kicking in... so he might be lucky and it could be fine.

Crazymoogle said:
Just buy the XFX. Great brand, I'm told. The XTX XXX edition (the more expensive XFX card) comes with HAWX and all of the dongles you could need, in addition to coming factory overclocked. The cheaper model might be fine too but might not come with the dongles for stuff like HDMI/component out...
Thanks. I'll have a closer look at those two.

I don't much care about it being overlocked, especially as I'd rather quiet over fast.

Firestorm

Kinitari said:
I figured as much - all signs point to the CPU, as I just read this from start to finish - and the guy who was having the problems with his build was having pretty much the exact same problems as me. I even went as far as to try pretty much all the steps he tried to repair/troubleshoot his system, and the exact same things happened to me. He eventually replaced the CPU and there were no more problems.

*sigh*

Well I did want to replace my CPU in August, as I have an old old Pentium D 930 series. I have a bit of extra funds I could drop on a CPU, but I don't know which to grab, socket 775 - and nothing that will make me cry from the expense (to be more clear, something between 100-150 would be ideal, 200 bucks would be the absolute limit I would like to avoid).

NCIX.com is the website of choice for me! I am going to start browsing, any advice would be much appreciated.
Start browsing at 6PM. That's when the next sale starts. NCIX on Wednesday morning is bad.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
TheHeretic said:
You probably asked if you needed to buy a HSF and someone said no. CPU's always come with their own HSF's (Heat Sink Fans), and the assumption is you will use that. You always need one of these in a desktop PC, whether its default of aftermarket.

I can see how that would happen - the heat sink - or at least the heatsink mount - from my old mobo won't fit on my new one (the old one is a proprietary dell fit) - but the person replying to my probably assumed it would, I didn't specify otherwise.

looked into thermal protection, I am hoping that's what happens, my CPU does have thermal protection, so it wouldn't be a stretch to say that is what's happening. Now I have to decide if I want to spend the money on a new heatsink (looks like 40-50 bucks for one of those) or a new CPU, heatsink included (100-200 bucks for one of those).

Kinitari said:
I Now I have to decide if I want to spend the money on a new heatsink (looks like 40-50 bucks for one of those)
You don't need anything exotic. It shouldn't come to that much.

(btw... didn't the new chip come with a heatsink? They usually do.)

Psychotext said:
Thanks. I'll have a closer look at those two.

I don't much care about it being overlocked, especially as I'd rather quiet over fast.

Yeah, if you can verify if the cheaper model has the HDMI dongle, that may be fine for you. Just depends if you want the game/crossfire adapter/component out/etc.

Not really sure if the OC models run any hotter or louder though; usually they are just binned processors that seem to be better with the extra power draw.

Hey guys, Sorry if this is a handful, but I really want a high end gaming PC.

My PC is so old I doubt I can use anything in it towards building my own PC, however I'd like to build my own from new parts.

I hear this is the best way to go, and the cheapest way ultimately as well. I'd like Vista, only because games are compatible for it and not Windows 7 yet. However, I'm a complete noob at making PCs, I've never made one before in my life.

I'm very familiar with them obviously, but never made them. Where should I start? newegg? Motherbaord? GPU? graphics card?

Sorry for the terribly loaded post, if you really want a PM could be in order.

Thanks to any GAFer willing to help me.

Firestorm

Kinitari said:
I can see how that would happen - the heat sink - or at least the heatsink mount - from my old mobo won't fit on my new one (the old one is a proprietary dell fit) - but the person replying to my probably assumed it would, I didn't specify otherwise.

looked into thermal protection, I am hoping that's what happens, my CPU does have thermal protection, so it wouldn't be a stretch to say that is what's happening. Now I have to decide if I want to spend the money on a new heatsink (looks like 40-50 bucks for one of those) or a new CPU, heatsink included (100-200 bucks for one of those).
You could just grab one of these: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=34584&promoid=1192

FishSquared said:

My PC is so old I doubt I can use anything in it towards building my own PC, however I'd like to build my own from new parts.

I hear this is the best way to go, and the cheapest way ultimately as well. I'd like Vista, only because games are compatible for it and not Windows 7 yet. However, I'm a complete noob at making PCs, I've never made one before in my life.

I'm very familiar with them obviously, but never made them. Where should I start? newegg? Motherbaord? GPU? graphics card?

Everything that works on Vista works on 7. 7 is based off Vista. You should look a the $500 / $1000 thread by brain_stew.

Kinitari said:

HSF's can be cheap. Heres one thats pretty good for low cost:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200035

Or if you want to go all out stingy :lol

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200054

Your processor is very old, though I have no idea what you are trying to do with your build.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Psychotext said:
You don't need anything exotic. It shouldn't come to that much.

(btw... didn't the new chip come with a heatsink? They usually do.)

I didn't get a new CPU, this is the old CPU carried over from my old system, which was a Dell. The heatsink/heatsink mount wont fit my mobo, its oddly shaped. Pentium D 930, which isn't that bad of a CPU looking it up.

Anyway, would -this- heatsink be okay? It's cheap~

TheHeretic said:
HSF's can be cheap. Heres one thats pretty good for low cost:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200035

Or if you want to go all out stingy :lol

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200054

Your processor is very old, though I have no idea what you are trying to do with your build.

Aw man, I was hoping you'd be all like "Oh man! Your processor is so amazing!" - but yeah, its about 3 years old now. I did want to buy a new CPU, but I didn't want to buy one that was only a marginal improvement. At the same time, I don't really want to break the bank. firestorm linked a CPU that is right within my price range, but unfortunately I don't know the nitty gritties enough to know if that is a dramatic improvement or not.

Newegg.ca is where I would have to order from, but I've bought all my stuff from NCIX and I've had such a good experience with the site so far, i'd like to keep using it.

Kinitari said:
I didn't get a new CPU, this is the old CPU carried over from my old system, which was a Dell. The heatsink/heatsink mount wont fit my mobo, its oddly shaped. Pentium D 930, which isn't that bad of a CPU looking it up.

Anyway, would -this- heatsink be okay? It's cheap~

Thats more than fine. You sound a little green so remember every CPU needs thermal paste before you put the HSF on it. You might already know this, but I can tell you how to do it if you like. Many HSF's come with thermal paste, though some don't, so be careful.

dionysus

Yaldog
FishSquared said:

Give me a budget and I can throw a suggestion together on newegg in a few minutes. I am currently pricing out a build for myself right now so hurry.

@ Kintaro: I would go with a new CPU because that one is super old. Something like an AMD phemon II x3 or x4.

Sysgen

FishSquared said:

The best thing you can do is do all of the research and educate yourself. You'll be better for it in terms of selecting the components, maintaining your system and troubleshooting problems. I was in your position not too long ago and built an i7 / 4890 system after doing much research. You can check with others once you've selected your parts but you need to know what your asking about and ensure what people are telling you is good information as it applies to you.

Coldsnap

Whats the best way to trouble shoot a PC? My PC this morning was not booting up, it would turn on but bios wouldn't boot on my screen. It would just stay black.

Firestorm

Kinitari said:
Newegg.ca is where I would have to order from, but I've bought all my stuff from NCIX and I've had such a good experience with the site so far, i'd like to keep using it.
NCIX Price Matches. Just scroll down in the cart and press "Start Price Match". I've never ordered anything for shipping from them. Their in-store staff is less than amazing and my price matches are often denied if it's below cost, but everyone who does internet shipping orders seem to love them. Worth a try.

http://www.shopbot.ca/
http://www.pricecanada.com/

Use those to compare prices. You can usually knock a good deal off your order at NCIX with price matches.

Edit: Yeah, everyone I know including myself did hours of research on making their PCs. I feel so much more knowledgeable about my build now XD Googled so much stuff. My favourite sites that came up for reviews were:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/
http://www.anandtech.com/

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
TheHeretic said:
Thats more than fine. You sound a little green so remember every CPU needs thermal paste before you put the HSF on it. You might already know this, but I can tell you how to do it if you like. Many HSF's come with thermal paste, though some don't, so be careful.

Yeah I am a bit new at this, this is actually the first one I am building. I am aware of thermal paste, I know it is applied, but the how is a different question - I am sure a youtube video could walk me through with that.

I'll ask you again since you seem to be helpful (this goes for anyone else willing to help, and Firestorm who is always saving me money). Am I getting a noticeable improvement in performance getting that new CPU firestorm linked? I just got a slew of new parts for my computer that I (attempted to) build - mobo, 4gb ram, radeon 4870 with my old cpu.

dionysus

Yaldog
How easy do i7 920s overclock? I am comparing the price of a 920 with that of a 950 and it seems hard to justify the extra $290 for the 950, especially if the 920 is going to overclock to similar performance.

Firestorm

Kinitari said:
Yeah I am a bit new at this, this is actually the first one I am building. I am aware of thermal paste, I know it is applied, but the how is a different question - I am sure a youtube video could walk me through with that.

I'll ask you again since you seem to be helpful (this goes for anyone else willing to help, and Firestorm who is always saving me money). Am I getting a noticeable improvement in performance getting that new CPU firestorm linked? I just got a slew of new parts for my computer that I (attempted to) build - mobo, 4gb ram, radeon 4870 with my old cpu.
According to everything I'm reading, the Ds are considered trash compared to the Core 2 Duos. E6400 is probably the better bet.

http://forums.filefront.com/tech-discussion/267820-core-2-duo-vs-pentium-d-900-series.html
http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2795

dionysus said:
How easy do i7 920s overclock? I am comparing the price of a 920 with that of a 950 and it seems hard to justify the extra $290 for the 950, especially if the 920 is going to overclock to similar performance.

Very easily, get a 920.

Psychotext said:

Go with the VaporX or Toxic series, they have superior quiet cooling. I don't see any of them on that site though.

Coldsnap said:
Whats the best way to trouble shoot a PC? My PC this morning was not booting up, it would turn on but bios wouldn't boot on my screen. It would just stay black.

Use the jumper on your motherboard to reset the bios.

MoFuzz

I'm reading up on a lot of sites that frown upon updating your motherboard BIOS with any kind of Windows based utility that connects to the internet and downloads the latest version.

Looks like updating via a floppy disk (which may be hard, since I haven't owned one in probably close to 10 years) is preferred.

What's the consensus around these parts?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Firestorm said:
According to everything I'm reading, the Ds are considered trash compared to the Core 2 Duos. E6400 is probably the better bet.

http://forums.filefront.com/tech-discussion/267820-core-2-duo-vs-pentium-d-900-series.html
http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2795

Yeah I was googling and found pretty much the same consensus, it's a dramatic leap, clock speed is meaningless it seems - even though both my cores run at 3ghz, it cant stand up to a core 2 running at 1.8ghz. Welp, gotta wait for the girlfriend to get home, then i'll start begging/bargaining for a new CPU. She's getting tired of me using her laptop anyway.

Edit: the e7400 for $130 seems to be one of the better prices, im going to run it through your price-matching-sites suggestion, and see if I can find it lower.

Kinitari said:

Pentium D's are low performance, designed for office spaces if I remember correctly. With high end components like the ones you have investing in a better CPU is going to be worthwhile. Is your motherboard new, and do you have the model number and make? Just need to make sure it'll be compatible.

Its an LGA775 board, which means your options are a dual or a quad, E or Q series. Depending on your budget and willingness to overclock the E7400, E8400, Q8300 and Q9400 are all good options.

Sysgen

MoFuzz said:
I'm reading up on a lot of sites that frown upon updating your motherboard BIOS with any kind of Windows based utility that connects to the internet and downloads the latest version.

Looks like updating via a floppy disk (which may be hard, since I haven't owned one in probably close to 10 years) is preferred.

I read that also but I read it after I used AsusUpdate in windows to update my bios. It worked fine. Of course that means nothing if others have had bad experiences.

Sysgen

dionysus said:

Since the demand for the higher end i7's is lower than the 920 it is quite possible that the 920 you wind up with is a 950 or even a 975 quality processor. It is literally luck of the draw.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
TheHeretic said:
Pentium D's are low performance, designed for office spaces if I remember correctly. With high end components like the ones you have investing in a better CPU is going to be worthwhile. Is your motherboard new, and do you have the model number and make? Just need to make sure it'll be compatible.

Its an LGA775 board, which means your options are a dual or a quad, E or Q series. Depending on your budget and willingness to overclock the E7400, E8400, Q8300 and Q9400 are all good options.

Gigabyte EP45-UD3L ATX LGA775 P45 DDR2 PCI-E 2PCI SATA2 HD Sound GBLAN Motherboard - the make on the receipt.

heres the link from ncix

the e7400 seems to be well within my price range, I am going to see if I can find some sort of techbench run comparing my cpu or something similar, to it.

MoFuzz said:

If it works through windows, go ahead and do it. Not all board makers have a windows utility though for updating the bios. In that case I just use a USB thumb drive, much easier than trying to create a floppy, if the PC even has a floppy drive in the first place.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Firestorm said:
I just realized I said E6400. I think you might as well go with E7400 minimum. I think E8400 is the most popular Core 2 Duo.

I'm looking at this e8400 - which does seem to be one of the, if not the most, popular cpu on ncix, I am going to see if I can get some comparisons between that and
This quad 8200 for the same price, if I am going to get a performance boost, and then see if I can find a price match/wait until 6pm.

Top Bottom