• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Minsc

Gold Member
Firestorm said:
Actually, I would definitely look at spending a little less on that PC and grabbing a 3D Vision + Samsung 120Hz Monitor kit =)

That's not a bad idea, they really should demo those things at best buy or somewhere. Definitely consider going with a 275+ and the 3D vision + new 120hz monitor if you're into 3D stuff (there's only a couple that support it so double be sure to double check on the site).

Firestorm

Minsc said:
That's not a bad idea, they really should demo those things at best buy or somewhere. Definitely consider going with a 275+ and the 3D vision + new 120hz monitor if you're into 3D stuff (there's only a couple that support it so double be sure to double check on the site).
Quite a few test locations: http://www.nvidia.com/object/3D_Vision_Test_Drive_Centers.html

I didn't see it at NCIX (closest test centre to me) last time I was there. Maybe I needed to ask. But I was in a hurry every time.

3D Games: http://www.nvidia.com/object/3D_Vision_3D_Games.html

Firestorm

Mudo said:
Ok guys, my boyfriend decided he wants the desktop computer he built me 1 1/2 years ago for himself, so he is building me a new computer today/tomorrow. I play a lot of PC games so I always want the stuff that will run my games as nice as possible lol. This is a list of what he is putting together - now I'm not umm very good at the whole PC hardware thing and really just want something I can play, say, Far Cry 2 with max settings at a good framerate. Is this going to work? Sorry if the format of what I am posting is weird, it's what he sent me and I don't know how to really interpret it. Thanks ahead of time for any input:

CPU = AMD Phenom 965 OC 4200.2 MHz

Memory = 4 x mushkin 2 GB DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel 7-7-6-18

Motherboard = GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P AM3 DDR3 AMD 790FX

Video Card = 2 x POWERCOLOR PCS+ AX4890 1GBD5-PPH Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 Factory OC 950 MHz

Hard Drive = 3 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s in RAID 5

Power Supply = KINGWIN Mach 1 ABT-1000MA1S 1000W

CPU Cooler = COOLER MASTER V10 Hybrid TEC

Case = COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000

VGA cooler = 2 x ZALMAN VF1000

Case Fan = 4 x Scythe S-Flex SFF21G 120mm

Optical Drive = 2 x SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223B

Sound Card = HT | OMEGA STRIKER 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz

Monitor = Acer H243Hbmid 24" 2ms Brightness 300 cd/m2 Contrast Ratio 40000:1 Max (ACM) Maximum Resolution 1920 x 1080
I spent a little (ok a lot, gotta stop doing this) going over this build and redoing it.

Your Build:
$2350

New Build:
CPU + Case: i7 920 + Antec 1200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.233336

I know this case has some really nice wiring options, and gives you a discount due to bundle. I think i7 is the way to go at the budget you're looking at

$425 vs $420

Memory + Motherboard: Gigabyte EX58-UD4P
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.235424

Needed to be EX58 to support the i7. Bundled with 6GB (3x2GB) OCZ Gold memory. 8GB is kind of overkill and 3x2 gives you triple channel which is what's optimal for DDR3 RAM.

$365 - $20 MIR ($345) vs $365

Video Card: 2x EVGA GTX 275
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130475

EVGA warranties even if you overclock which is really nice (same with XFX). XFX is $5 cheaper, but EVGA has a $20 MIR so choose one. It's 1 per household for the rebate so maybe ship to two different addresses under your name and his.

$480 - $20 or $40 MIR ($460) vs $460

Storage: 1x Western Digital 1TB + 1x Intel 80GB X25-M G2 SSD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167016

SSDs are super fast. Load your OS and Games / Applications on the SSD. Store all your files on your 1TB HDD. If you really want to go RAID like your bf seems to be going, that's an option as well.

$345 vs $360

Power Supply: Antec CP-850W Modular PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371024

Never heard of KINGWIN. Antec is reputable and apparently this one is "exclusively designed" for the Antec 1200 =P Modular is nice as well.

$125 vs $165

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE1366
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608007

I've heard nothing but good things about this if you feel like binging on a CPU Cooler
$72 vs $100

VGA Cooler: Wouldn't say that's needed
$0 vs $90

Case Fan: Antec 1200 comes with 6 fans already. More is kind of overkill...
$0 vs $60

Optical Drive: SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223B
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151187

Same one. If you really want two get it, but don't think it's really needed. Does anyone burn straight from disc to disc anymore?
$30 vs $60

Sound Card: Don't need one. Motherboard already has all the sound options you need.

Monitor: Samsung 22" 2233RZ + Nvidia 3D Vision Glasses
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001311
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824994036

3D hell yeah.

$220 vs $600

Total: $2442 - $40 to $60 in MIR = $2382 to $2402.

I'm still determined to hold off and wait to buy anything until I see what's up with the 5800 series and core i5 in September. But if anyone else is interested I just happened to sneak a peek at the weekend Fry's ad (for Seattle, not sure if it applies to other locations) this morning and noticed that on the front page they were pushing an eVGA GTX 275 for $148 (I believe $30 of that was MIR). Seems like a pretty good deal for what they are going for online these days.

Inkwell

Banned
Recently I've noticed newer games performing horribly on my system. This is either under 30 fps or hitching fairly bad (most recently the demos of Batman and Call of Jaurez). If I lower my video settings, nothing really changes. It's got to be my CPU. It's only an Athlon 64 3700+ that is slightly overclocked. Other than that I have 2 GB ram and an 8800GT. I'm also only running XP.

I can't just buy a new socket 939 processor (It would be too weak and they cost too much since AMD stopped production of them). This means I need a new motherboard for a different kind of processor, which means I'll need new ram, as this system only uses DDR. So this means new mobo, cpu, and ram (I only need 2GB as I'll be running XP for a while here).

What's my best choice of motherboard, CPU, and ram for under... $200? Preferably cheaper. I won't be able to build a full new rig for a very long time. I just want to be able to play future games (even on low settings) for a couple more years.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Inkwell said:
Recently I've noticed newer games performing horribly on my system. This is either under 30 fps or hitching fairly bad (most recently the demos of Batman and Call of Jaurez). If I lower my video settings, nothing really changes. It's got to be my CPU. It's only an Athlon 64 3700+ that is slightly overclocked. Other than that I have 2 GB ram and an 8800GT. I'm also only running XP.

I can't just buy a new socket 939 processor (It would be too weak and they cost too much since AMD stopped production of them). This means I need a new motherboard for a different kind of processor, which means I'll need new ram, as this system only uses DDR. So this means new mobo, cpu, and ram (I only need 2GB as I'll be running XP for a while here).

What's my best choice of motherboard, CPU, and ram for under... $200? Preferably cheaper. I won't be able to build a full new rig for a very long time. I just want to be able to play future games (even on low settings) for a couple more years.
New AMD dual core, like a 245 ($70) + a cheap mobo + $45 for 4GB of DDR2

Firestorm

Inkwell said:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.238391
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128376

$138.98 + $75 = $215 - $10 MIR = $205.

Well my former beast of a system is gonna be two years old soon, so the video card is gonna need replacing first as everything else is pretty darn good still.

Whats one of the best and not ridiculously priced cards to get right now. Got a 8800gt in this one so whats best replacement... not worried about paying a high price but rather not also just pay a shit ton for something that is gonna drop in price like a brick shortly.

Firestorm

BattleMonkey said:
Well my former beast of a system is gonna be two years old soon, so the video card is gonna need replacing first as everything else is pretty darn good still.

Whats one of the best and not ridiculously priced cards to get right now. Got a 8800gt in this one so whats best replacement... not worried about paying a high price but rather not also just pay a shit ton for something that is gonna drop in price like a brick shortly.
The new generation is like 1 month away for AMD. See what happens with that and nVidia first. This generation is almost done.

welp i'm done with my ban!

i ended up building an i7 rig, dudes. found one of the d0 stepping chips at microcenter for $200 and got the dfi lanparty t3eh8 board to run it on for $215. also put in:

6gb ocz gold ram
750 gb caviar black drive
true 120 heatsink
antec 900 case
650w earthwatts psu

after some lucky deals and thriftiness i dropped about $750 for everything but a gpu and optical drive. then again i RMA'd my ram and hdd so they're being exchanged right now for new parts. i also dropped another $70 between a nice sony optical drive and a second hdd [caviar blue 320gb]. i plan to install snow leopard on the second smaller drive and upgrade to windows 7 from xp once it launches on the 750gb one-- obviously needing more space for games

i'm being lent an 8600gt card for the time being but the plan is to save my pennies throughout the fall and see what happens between nvidia and ati with prices and new launches

all in all i'm happy : D

oh and not factored in is a sony trinitron fw900 monitor that i got for $125 pickup
best. colors. ever.

Firestorm said:
That probably wasn't the best motherboard to get if you want to install Mac OSX on it. I don't think it will work.
from the research i've done, it will

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t148479.html

in fact i've seen various reports of people using that exact build and having wonderful results with it as a hackintosh. i've also been given retail versions of osx and snow leopard to put on after i get kalyway or something up and running

Firestorm

Mr. Spinnington said:
from the research i've done, it will

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t148479.html

in fact i've seen various reports of people using that exact build and having wonderful results with it as a hackintosh. i've also been given retail versions of osx and snow leaopard to put on after i get kalyway or something up and running
Hm, yeah that guy seems to have it working. Although I can't understand much of what he's saying. Seems to be the pre-patched versions and not retail though. But yeah if you can get it working that's great then.

Firestorm said:
Hm, yeah that guy seems to have it working. Although I can't understand much of what he's saying. Seems to be the pre-patched versions and not retail though. But yeah if you can get it working that's great then.
i'll let you know how the full retail portion goes. essentially i'll need to install the preconfigured kalyway in order to have some sort of osx running, and then i can upgrade to retail leopard. i'll try to go straight to snow leopard first, but if i can't i'll shoot for the switch to retail leopard first and climb the ladder like a normal person

Firestorm

Mr. Spinnington said:
i'll let you know how the full retail portion goes. essentially i'll need to install the preconfigured kalyway in order to have some sort of osx running, and then i can upgrade to retail leopard. i'll try to go straight to snow leopard first, but if i can't i'll shoot for the switch to retail leopard first and climb the ladder like a normal person
Yeah, I'm on Retail Leopard too and waiting for someone to figure out Snow Leopard well for me. Seems to be advances on a similar board (I'm on the Gigabyte EP45-UD3P, it's for the EP45-UD3R), but still some kinks to be worked out.

Ugh, I'm so close to pulling the trigger on the order sitting in my Newegg cart. Part of me wants to be smart and make sure I'm set financially first, but the other part is sick of using this ancient PC.

BrodiemanTTR said:
Ugh, I'm so close to pulling the trigger on the order sitting in my Newegg cart. Part of me wants to be smart and make sure I'm set financially first, but the other part is sick of using this ancient PC.
do a quick search in the for sale threads on anandtech and hardforum if you're not totally sure you want to spend what you're about to. it cut a third off my total price in the end and i still got mint components. can also check the sale/trade thread here but probably won't find a lot in the way of specific components

BrodiemanTTR said:

What are you considering buying?

Overlee

I'm going to post this here seeing how th htpc thread isnt so lively.

I just purchased a new pc that I'm planning to hook up to my 42'' 720p Panasonic plasma and need some advice on a video card.

so the pc specs:

Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Quad processor Q8300 [2.5GHz, 4MB L2, 1333MHz FSB]
6GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [4 DIMMs]
640GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
Integrated graphics - Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator X4500 [VGA + DVI]
LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
300 watt ps
Total slots 1 PCIe (x16 graphics), 3 PCIe (x1)

I know I'll probably need to upgrade the power supply but what video card would be good for outputting games at 720p with fairly high settings? I'm not planning on purchasing a new tv anytime soon so it doesn't need to be future proofed. Also hdmi out would be nice but I can live with dvi.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
do quad core procs provide a big jump on game performance for games such as far cry 2?

I'm trying to determine what should be my next upgrade. I have a core 2 dueo overclocked at 3.4ghz and a radeon hd 4870 512mb. I game at 1680x1050. I though running the farcry 2 benchmark program at low res I could determine wether I needed a new cpu or not but the results were inconclusive.

BrodiemanTTR said:
as long as you're buying off newegg, use bing cashback. it'll return 10% of what you spend almost instantly on your entire purchase

oh and as someone in the market for a nice gpu at a reasonable price, anyone else in that boat may find some use in a sale at fry's this weekend for an EVGA GTX 275 for $149 after rebates. in-store only but great bang for your buck at that price point http://www.frys.com/product/5892363?site=frysecampaign

i may bite if i can swing it. i also see that FightingFish actually mentioned this just a bit ago lol^^

Minsc

Gold Member
otake said:
do quad core procs provide a big jump on game performance for games such as far cry 2?

I'm trying to determine what should be my next upgrade. I have a core 2 dueo overclocked at 3.4ghz and a radeon hd 4870 512mb. I game at 1680x1050. I though running the farcry 2 benchmark program at low res I could determine wether I needed a new cpu or not but the results were inconclusive.

You can check this, which did the same thing as you, lower the settings to take the load off the GPU. I am thinking the difference won't be that great when you go back to raise the settings to play based on that chart.

K, how does this look? These are all the parts Firestorm and Wag recommended. I figured I'd give GAF one more shot at it before I pull the trigger. I don't know how to link to my newegg cart, so here's a screenshot.

zt84za.png

Stuff I already have:
- Antec Sonata case
- PSU, I think an Antec Truepower 430
- Radeon 4890
- SATA DVD burner
- 2 SATA 250G hard drives. I figure I'll use the new terabyte drive for Windows and put Mac OS on one of the 250's. Not sure if I'll use all 3 hard drives.
- 1920x1200 LCD
- Peripherals

So? Am I good?

Firestorm

TheHeretic said:
The Q9550 is overpriced in my opinion. You can get an AMD Phenom II 955 for cheaper, which is a better chip.
He would like to run OSX so he needs to go Intel. Anyway, everything looks like it'll work fine. Only issue will be the 4890 which you'll have to look up on how to get working.

Firestorm said:
He would like to run OSX so he needs to go Intel. Anyway, everything looks like it'll work fine. Only issue will be the 4890 which you'll have to look up on how to get working.
K. Does that board have onboard video? If it did I suppose I could try using that to get Mac OS working, or sticking in an old nvidia card.

Firestorm

Parallax Scroll said:
K. Does that board have onboard video? If it did I suppose I could try using that to get Mac OS working, or sticking in an old nvidia card.
No it does not. If you have an old nVidia card on hand, I think it's helpful for getting the 4890 working. Or get in on that Fry's Deal ($180 - $30 MIR) for the GTX 275 and sell the 4890.

There's not 100% working guide for the UD3P for Snow Leopard yet by the way. So you'll be on Leopard unless you wait a bit.

Firestorm said:
No it does not. If you have an old nVidia card on hand, I think it's helpful for getting the 4890 working. Or get in on that Fry's Deal ($180 - $30 MIR) for the GTX 275 and sell the 4890.

There's not 100% working guide for the UD3P for Snow Leopard yet by the way. So you'll be on Leopard unless you wait a bit.
Which is better?

I'll have to look, but I think the newest nvidia card I have is a Geforce FX. Too old?

Firestorm said:

Kalyway releases support AMD and Intel, no?

Firestorm

Parallax Scroll said:
Which is better?

I'll have to look, but I think the newest nvidia card I have is a Geforce FX. Too old?
Actually you might be able to get it working using this:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=160253&st=60&p=1151993&#entry1151993

You'll have to read up on it. Google / Search InsanelyMac.
TheHeretic said:
Kalyway releases support AMD and Intel, no?
I'd personally prefer retail installs to hacked installs with god knows what on them. There's little point in dealing with the headache of AMD on an OS that is built for Intel processors. It's not worth it. One of the reasons I told him to get the Intel + UD3P combo was because there's a great guide he can follow for a foolproof install.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Finally OC'd my CPU and damn you really do notice the performance increase, even on a 950. Can finally play the Arkham Asylum demo on max with physx on high at 60 FPS. Whoooo

Zyzyxxz

Are there any good All-in-one PC's that can game decently at lower resolutions such as 1280x800 and such?

I'm just going to be playing Team Fortress 2 and probably COD MW2 on it

Is the Dell All-in-one 19" with a Geforce 9400 good enough for me?

Firestorm said:

Oh yeah, what kind of cooling am I gonna need? How's the stock cooler on the Q9550? Or does it even come with one?

Firestorm

Parallax Scroll said:
Oh yeah, what kind of cooling am I gonna need? How's the stock cooler on the Q9550? Or does it even come with one?
If you want to overclock, you'll want a good cooler for an LGA775 socket. If you aren't going to overclock, stock is fine. With a decent cooler you can get it to a stable 3.8 GHz without much effort from what I've read. 3.4GHz is the min you should aim for with a budget cooler.

fanboi

Banned
fanboi said:
ANTEC HTPC NSK2480 MATX SILVER 380W

INTEL CORE 2 DUO E8500 3.1GHZ 6MB 1333MHZ S-775

MSI G43M2-F S-775 G43 M-ATX

CORSAIR 4GB DDR2 XMS2 PC8500 CL5 (2X2GB)

SEAGATE BARRACUDA 7200.11 1TB 7200RPM SATA/300 32MB

SAPPHIRE RADEON HD4850 1GB GDDR3 PCI-E VGA/DVI/HDMI

Instead of links!

No one can give me advice? Is an HTPC which I will be gaming and watching movies on.
Maxprice around 1000 dollares. But you can give advice on higher cost if the gain is much more. Thnka you!

fanboi said:
No one can give me advice? Is an HTPC which I will be gaming and watching movies on.
Maxprice around 1000 dollares. But you can give advice on higher cost if the gain is much more. Thnka you!

Don't build a socket 775 rig.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I think I want to replace a fan on the side of my case. It's a 120mm. Thoughts?

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
My 4890 and 1 Terrabyte HDD should be coming in tomorrow; I hope everything works ok .If I continue to get weekly freezes then I know my mobo is fucked. It's nothing big, but it's really annoying when it happens. :(

Niblet

Quick question. How much of an effect does the RPM of a hard drive have on gaming performance? Specifically the difference between a 5400 RPM drive and a standard 7200 RPM drive?

DMczaf

About a week into my new built PC (my first time building my own) and I'm loving it. Playing L4D, Batman demo, and Bioshock at 60 fps with max settings at 1080p is so awesome. How did I go this long without it?! Never going to go with a laptop as my main computer again. I'll get a cheap and light notebook if I ever need a portable system for school.

What I ended up building:

CPU = AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor Model

Motherboard = ASUS M4A78-E AM2+/AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

Memory = G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Hard Drive = Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Video Card = EVGA 896-P3-1257-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16

Case = Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Power Supply = SeaSonic S12 Energy Plus SS-550HT 550W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified

Optical Drive = Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model

Monitor = Acer H213H bmid Black 21.5" 5ms HDMI Full HD 1080P Widescreen 16:9 LCD Monitor

Came up to around $915 after Newegg bundle savings before mail-in rebates. After rebates, it should be around $840. I went into it trying to stay below my $800 budget for just the PC components, and I was happy I was able to do that. ($790 without the monitor)

Top Bottom