• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Hawkian said:
Nah it was funny.

I know this was posted already, but is anyone considering making a pc with this thing? http://www.neoseeker.com/news/10033-thermaltake-shows-truly-different-level-10-case-at-cebit/

It's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen (you know, with the exception of my girlfriend)

Pics for the lazy:
levell111.jpg
level10.jpg
That thing looks like it was built by the Borg. The thermals would have to be awesome to justify owning that.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thermals? It would probably obliterate any normal tower in terms of temps, because every component is no longer sharing the same hot air. HDD and PSU I bet would benefit especially, thought I'm sure a good CPU heatsink is still a necessity.

Niks

I think this is my near final configuration.

However, I have two doubts regarding the case....
I like the Antec NSK6580B looks, but it comes with a 430W PSU.. would that be enough for my configuration? And would all parts fit nicely in it? The NSK6580B features removable HDD cages. Would the Sonata III be better?

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Antec Sonata III 500W PSU

Antec NSK6580B 430W PSU

GIGABYTE Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i5-750 2.66GHz Quad-Core Processor
ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB
Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3
Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB
SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD Burner Black SATA
Dell ST2410 24” 1920x1080
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders

Lostconfused said:
yeah backlit keyboards are not that great. The first generation saitek was so dim that you couldn't see it over the glare of the monitor.

Edit:

Picked up one of these today. Apparently i am a die hard nvidia fanboy or something.

19qzc3.jpg

I just picked up a Saitek Eclipse and it is really slick and easy to read with two brightness settings. Got me a Habu mouse too, I have blue and red everywhere now.

Loving the case! That's probably one the coolest looking case I've seen.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Niks said:

I like the Antec NSK6580B looks, but it comes with a 430W PSU.. would that be enough for my configuration? And would all parts fit nicely in it? The NSK6580B features removable HDD cages. Would the Sonata III be better?

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Antec NSK6580B 430W PSU

The PSU might be cutting it... But with no overclocking on anything, you'd probably be ok.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Hawkian said:
Thermals? It would probably obliterate any normal tower in terms of temps, because every component is no longer sharing the same hot air. HDD and PSU I bet would benefit especially, thought I'm sure a good CPU heatsink is still a necessity.
I was thinking that, but without some fans pushing some serious air through those coffins you're basically hotboxing your hardware.

Deadly

Lostconfused said:
yeah backlit keyboards are not that great. The first generation saitek was so dim that you couldn't see it over the glare of the monitor.

Edit:

Picked up one of these today. Apparently i am a die hard nvidia fanboy or something.

19qzc3.jpg

You know if you didn't want the NVIDIA branding, there's a version of that model without it. Except that it's blue instead of green I think.

Violater

Niks said:

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Antec NSK6580B 430W PSU

GIGABYTE Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i5-750 2.66GHz Quad-Core Processor
ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB
Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3
Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB
SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD Burner Black SATA
Dell ST2410 24” 1920x1080
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders

I have often wondered what is the downside to the system builders SKU for the OS.
I know it is cheaper than the retail SKU.

Kerrinck

Complete noob here, so can anyone answer me a question regarding motherboards?
What is the difference between the ud numbers on the p55 motherboard? Which one should I get?
Also, anyone from Switzerland knows a good store that sells pc parts? Preferably online.

Hitmeneer

Hitmeneer said:
I am looking for a new student PC, that is silent & a bit powerful so I can play games from time to time and do 3D moddeling.

AMD Phenom II X4 810
Scythe Mugen 2
Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P (seemed to have a good price/quality ratio)
2x2 GB RAM (Corsair/Kingston)
Radeon HD 5850
Samsung 500 GB HDD
Antec Solo case
Corsair HX-520 power supply
DVD player
Windows 7 (true MSDNAA)

Any suggestions or thinks you would change?

I also have an 'old' 8800 GT. It isn't really worth to use it in the here above mentioned setup in place of the HD5850, is it?

.Bump.

Hitmeneer said:

Are you planning to OC? I'd be wanting a higher clockspeed for single/dual core apps. so either bump up the CPU or OC.

If you're only playing games "from time to time", you'll be fine with an 8800gt imo.

Get a 640GB HDD, they're faster.

If its silence yo want then a custom CPU cooler, soemthing from Noctua, ideally and a Accelero S1 seem like a good idea. As does replacing your internal fans with Noctuas.

Ok, so I could greatly use some help here. I'm planning on buying the parts I need for a new build from new egg in the next few days, and I'm looking for recommendations for the new build. The only thing I have really decided on is going with a LGA 1156 board (i5 750 or i7 860), but I have no strong feelings yet about anything else going into this build. A big thank you in advance for anyone who takes the time to help me out.

Budget: $1500

What I do not need: Monitor, Keyboard/Mouse, Speakers, OS

What I do need: Everything else (Case, Motherboard, CPU, Video Card, Memory, PSU, Case, Drive(s), Extra Cooling if needed)

JakOfTheShadows said:
Ok, so I could greatly use some help here. I'm planning on buying the parts I need for a new build from new egg in the next few days, and I'm looking for recommendations for the new build. The only thing I have really decided on is going with a LGA 1156 board (i5 750 or i7 860), but I have no strong feelings yet about anything else going into this build. A big thank you in advance for anyone who takes the time to help me out.

Budget: $1500

What I do not need: Monitor, Keyboard/Mouse, Speakers, OS

What I do need: Everything else (Case, Motherboard, CPU, Video Card, Memory, PSU, Case, Drive(s), Extra Cooling if needed)

What's the computer for? Gaming resolution? Willing to OC?

brain_stew said:
What's the computer for? Gaming resolution? Willing to OC?
Gaming only for the most part. The only other thing I would ever be doing with it would be some coding if my work computer ever went down for some reason. As for OC'ing I probably will not right off the bat but it is something I may consider down the line. Recommended monitor resolution will be 1920 x 1080 (unless I decide to replace that too).

JakOfTheShadows said:
Gaming only for the most part. The only other thing I would ever be doing with it would be some coding if my work computer ever went down for some reason. As for OC'ing I probably will not right off the bat but it is something I may consider down the line.

Cool, go for the i5 750 then, anything above and beyond that is a waste. There's no need to spend $1500 really, $1000 should cover it.

I'd say 5850 (get a 5870 if you want but its pretty poor value if you ask me).
4GB DDR3, say: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231275
This mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128404
1tb CAVIAR Black
500w+ PSU
Case is personal preference.s promises.

With that budget you might want to see what Lucid's Hydra chip on MSI's big bang mobo delivers, then a pair of 5850s might be a smart choice if it lives upto its promises.

brain_stew said:
Cool, go for the i5 750 then, anything above and beyond that is a waste. There's no need to spend $1500 really, $1000 should cover it.

1tb CAVIAR Black
500w+ PSU

With that budget you might want to see what Lucid's Hydra chip on MSI's big bang mobo delivers, then a pair of 5850s might be a smart choice if it lives upto its promises.

This combo is a pretty good way to get an i5, case and good 500W PSU.

brain_stew said:

1tb CAVIAR Black
500w+ PSU

Thanks for the help. Yeah $1500 was just the most I was willing to spend, but if I can save money I'm all for that.

derder

I started playing competitive CS:S over the summer and am having trouble keeping my fps above 100@1080p with everything turned off(when I need it). Heat is a pretty big issue in my room, this thing already raises the temp in my room by 15-20 degrees and I would like to avoid an OC if at all possible.
My balls are usually sweating after 2 hours of gaming

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E8400 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W
Mobo: ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM: CORSAIR 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
HDD(OS): 2x OCZ Vertex Series 2.5" 30GB SATA II MLC (SSD)
GPU: ASUS Radeon HD 4850 512MB

Where should I put my money? The Q9550S, 5850, or i5?

derder said:
I started playing competitive CS:S over the summer and am having trouble keeping my fps above 100@1080p with everything turned off(when I need it). Heat is a pretty big issue in my room, this thing already raises the temp in my room by 15-20 degrees and I would like to avoid an OC if at all possible.
My balls are usually sweating after 2 hours of gaming

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E8400 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W
Mobo: ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM: CORSAIR 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
HDD(OS): 2x OCZ Vertex Series 2.5" 30GB SATA II MLC (SSD)
GPU: ASUS Radeon HD 4850 512MB

Where should I put my money? The Q9550S, 5850, or i5?

Single threaded performance is what you need. OC or bust.

Overclocking question(s)!

I recently got a 720 BE and I've already dabbled a bit with the multiplier. Problem is that I get bluescreens (after a while) when cranking it up to 3.2 (which should be possible with the stock HS, from what I've read), what's causing that? Do I need to alter voltages as well?

Also, if I want to replace the stock heat sink, what's a good one to get? I'm completely new to the realm of overclocking.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Voltages will increase stability, but then you start having to worry about heat/your power supply. What are the full stats on your box?

For any serious overclocking, something beyond the stock cooler is a good idea.

Hawkian said:
Voltages will increase stability, but then you start having to worry about heat/your power supply. What are the full stats on your box?

For any serious overclocking, something beyond the stock cooler is a good idea.
My box? The PSU or the whole shebang?

Heat shouldn't be an issue I think, Overdrive won't show anything over 40 during full load. Though maybe that's bad, I don't know. :)

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Thats odd you would get bluescreened at 3.2, Ive been at that with my 720BE since April and ive yet to have a problem like that. Using stock heatsink/fan too. I couldnt get stable at 3.4 though but thats probly because i never wanted to bother with voltages.

Metalic Sand said:
Thats odd you would get bluescreened at 3.2, Ive been at that with my 720BE since April and ive yet to have a problem like that. Using stock heatsink/fan too. I couldnt get stable at 3.4 though but thats probly because i never wanted to bother with voltages.
Yeah, I got it pretty much right away on 3.4, on 3.2 it worked through a few ArmA2 benchmarks then bluescreened when I upped the settings.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Danne-Danger said:
Yeah, I got it pretty much right away on 3.4, on 3.2 it worked through a few ArmA2 benchmarks then bluescreened when I upped the settings.

Update your bios at all? I know on my asus they increased OC stability with updates.

Everyindividual CPU is different, some just aren't good OCers and your mobo, BIOS revision, RAM and cooling all come into it, its never a sure fire thing. I wouldn't recommend dabbling with the voltage too much on stock cooling, only go up by one or two notches at most.

Use OCCT to stress test, its got a built in temperature measurement as well.

Firestorm

brain_stew said:

1tb CAVIAR Black
500w+ PSU

I noticed that the motherboard you linked to is mATX. Does it have more features that make the smaller size worth it over the UD3R or UD4P?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128401
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128400

Hitmeneer

brain_stew said:
Are you planning to OC? I'd be wanting a higher clockspeed for single/dual core apps. so either bump up the CPU or OC.
Mmm I wasn't really planning to OC, but I am also not sure if I want to spend more. I will think about it....
If you're only playing games "from time to time", you'll be fine with an 8800gt imo.
Ok, that will save some money (although seeing those benchmarks make me want to have one :p )
Get a 640GB HDD, they're faster.
Check.
If its silence yo want then a custom CPU cooler, soemthing from Noctua, ideally and a Accelero S1 seem like a good idea. As does replacing your internal fans with Noctuas.
The Custom CPU will be the Scyth Mugen II. For the rest I am planning on using Nexus fans (I have been using them on the PC from my parents) and I still have a Accelero S1 laying around :p .

Thanks

Metalic Sand said:
Update your bios at all? I know on my asus they increased OC stability with updates.
brain_stew said:
Everyindividual CPU is different, some just aren't good OCers and your mobo, BIOS revision, RAM and cooling all come into it, its never a sure fire thing. I wouldn't recommend dabbling with the voltage too much on stock cooling, only go up by one or two notches at most.

Use OCCT to stress test, its got a built in temperature measurement as well.
Thanks, I'll try to update the mobo (MA770T-UD3P) and see if that helps.

Regarding the heatsink/fan, how much would I need to shell out for a good replacement? My system is very loud atm, something quieter and more efficient would be nice.

Binabik15

I think I´ll go with the i5 750, but I have questions about the mobo and case.

I thought about getting the Gigabyte GA P55M UD2 (a mATX) and a Coolermaster Elite midi-tower.

Will the 5850 fit?

Bigger mobo and case will be more expensive again :/

But I´m getting 19% off the whole purchase, so I´m not THAT bad off

Danne-Danger said:

I had hella problems getting my 720BE stable..in OCCT. I got it stable at 3.4 but had to reset my bios due to some issue with installing my 4890 and forgot the exact settings I used to get there. So I would up just using my motherboard build in auto-overclocking and I'm sitting stable at 3.0ghz.

domlolz

Banned
Not that I'm desperate for the performance or anything but with my Core 2 Duo E7400, currently at stock, what kind of overclocks can you typically get without needing some kind of radical cooling?

Firestorm

For the 2010 Thread, I think it should be a combination of the Ultimate Gaming Rig + This thread. First post should give some good sample builds that are updated on a monthly basis or so + resources. Also should be made by someone who isn't a bigot or PC/console fanboy who will go get himself banned so the OP can be updated.

bogg

domlolz said:
Not that I'm desperate for the performance or anything but with my Core 2 Duo E7400, currently at stock, what kind of overclocks can you typically get without needing some kind of radical cooling?
I'm running at 3.4 Ghz (400x8.5) with stock cooling, can get to 3.6 stable if I up the vcore, haven't tried pushing it further than that though.

Artchur

Now, I know that standard response for any gaming laptop question is "Dont". In my case unfortunately, I must. I am going traveling for approx six months, and need something that can keep my gaming addiction in check.

Im going to be unable to connect to any wifi or internet for gaming, so most of my needs center around being able to play decent strat's/rts with an acceptable level of performance. Empire:Total War and some Anno:1404 would keep me busy for awhile im sure.

Any suggestions on decently priced hardware that would suit my needs? Also, does newegg ship to Canada? Seems to be only US?

P.S - My neighbor bought a new basic computer and I gave him my old nVidia 7950gt to use till he has money to buy a decent vid card. He puts it in... doesn't work. Then, his 1TB HDD starts making a ticking sound.. and cuts out. Now when he boots up it only shows a max storage space of 120gigs... ideas?

Firestorm

Artchur said:
Now, I know that standard response for any gaming laptop question is "Dont". In my case unfortunately, I must. I am going traveling for approx six months, and need something that can keep my gaming addiction in check.

Im going to be unable to connect to any wifi or internet for gaming, so most of my needs center around being able to play decent strat's/rts with an acceptable level of performance. Empire:Total War and some Anno:1404 would keep me busy for awhile im sure.

Any suggestions on decently priced hardware that would suit my needs? Also, does newegg ship to Canada? Seems to be only US?

P.S - My neighbor bought a new basic computer and I gave him my old nVidia 7950gt to use till he has money to buy a decent vid card. He puts it in... doesn't work. Then, his 1TB HDD starts making a ticking sound.. and cuts out. Now when he boots up it only shows a max storage space of 120gigs... ideas?

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10127859&CMP=BAC-FS_hbad_t2_s1-EN
http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-4570.13885.0.html
That's one you might look at. What's your budget?

This is a really popular gaming laptop but it's $1500 in Canada. $1000 USD if you can make a trip down to the States:
http://www.shopbot.ca/pp-asus-g51vx-a1-asus-price-190926.html
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9366651&type=product&id=1218092150636

Edit: or this listing:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ASUS-G51VX-RX05-...ov05?hash=item3a537ac52f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Artchur

Could probably swing close to 1600 cdn if I had too.. that's pushing it though. But hey, whats money compared to six months of relieved boredom?

Im really close to seattle actually, Im just not sure on how much they charge in terms of duties to bring things back. Daily limit is only 500 CDN or something...

Firestorm

Artchur said:
Could probably swing close to 1600 cdn if I had too.. that's pushing it though. But hey, whats money compared to six months of relieved boredom?

Im really close to seattle actually, Im just not sure on how much they charge in terms of duties to bring things back. Daily limit is only 500 CDN or something...
I think the best you could buy would be the one I linked in the last post.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=41039
Price Match with this on checkout screen: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220576

you said you're close to Seattle so I assume you're in the Vancouver region. Order for in-store pickup at one of their stores (Vancouver, Burnaby, Richmond, or Langley) to save on shipping.

It has a GTX 260M: http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-260M.14559.0.html

Only issue with it I see is that it has a high resolution of 1920x1080 which might be detrimental to gaming on a laptop video card. It's pretty powerful though. The equivalent of a 9800 GT on desktops.

neoism

Ok sup guys, I'm sorry for asking this questions again, I think it was in brainstews other thread. So, to the the people that know how this stuff works. I basically know 0 about putting one of these together, I'm on a budget of about 1200 dollars, so I want to make sure all of these will work, also does any one know a site with video of a step-by-step instruction on how to build one of these. I'm scared I'll fuck it up, and it something I can't afford to do, I want a computer that will run "anything", I've been waiting for the 58XX cards, I ask that a few weeks ago. This is what I have soo far,..... what else do I need!

Also about my monitor, I'll be using a vizo 42 HD 720p, if the motherboard only has hdmi, and not vga which is what I'm using... My tv said something about only getting 480 x 680 using HDMI for the computer mode, Not sure what that means. I have an extra HDMI slot, would it work or I'm I going to need a mobo with VGA, for my pc, I have no other opinions for a monitor, I want to use this tv! Please help!

fresquito

Guys, I have a problem. I've got my Asus EAH4850, plugged it in, connected the extra wires to the PSU, yet my computer doesn't recognise the card. It's plugged and working, because there're some red lights that turn on as I start the computer. And the the fan is running all the time, so there's no way it's not plugged.

When I check the device manager, the card is not listed, and if I plug my screen (through the adapter that comes with the card), it simply doesn't show any image, it's like nothing is connected.

I've searched some info, and some people say you have to check the BIOS, in case the onboard VGA (which is the one showing) is loaded before the PCI card, but it's no the case. And all the wires seem to be well connected, so I don't really know what else to do.

Could you help me, please?

derder

Ok so I think I'm going to OC my CPU and get the 5850. One question: I heard that you need 3x displayport monitors to use eye infinity on hardforum. I noticed that these cards all have 2x dvi, 1 hdmi, and 1 displayport. Can I just hook up three monitors with 2x dvi and 1 hdmi?

Edit: Answer is no. The 58xx cards' hdmi port is shared between one of the dvi ouputs.

Top Bottom