• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
neoism said:
I have an extra HDMI slot, would it work or I'm I going to need a mobo with VGA, for my pc, I have no other opinions for a monitor, I want to use this tv! Please help!

I don't now of any mobos with JUST HDMI, but you can hook a PC up to an HDTV in a number of ways- though HDMI would be best for quality.

Artchur

Firestorm said:
I think the best you could buy would be the one I linked in the last post.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=41039
Price Match with this on checkout screen: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220576

you said you're close to Seattle so I assume you're in the Vancouver region. Order for in-store pickup at one of their stores (Vancouver, Burnaby, Richmond, or Langley) to save on shipping.

It has a GTX 260M: http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-260M.14559.0.html

Only issue with it I see is that it has a high resolution of 1920x1080 which might be detrimental to gaming on a laptop video card. It's pretty powerful though. The equivalent of a 9800 GT on desktops.

Dosn't seem to be able to pricematch.. the one from NICX has two HDD's, not the same model I guess. Looks sweet though. Deffinately leaning towards this as my purchase.

Anyone have any experience with mobile internet sticks? They worth the cost?

Just moved everything over to the new case this afternoon. But didn't bother taking too many pics since its ruining at the moment.

21oarnp.jpg

Cabling requires the skill of an artist, and i am not sure I can manage anything like that without getting a modular PSU, even then i doubt it will improve my results that much.

neoism

Hawkian said:
I don't now of any mobos with JUST HDMI, but you can hook a PC up to an HDTV in a number of ways- though HDMI would be best for quality.
So do they all come with vga, because that is what I want to use!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Might just be me, but are your RAM slots gray and black?
That might mean they are not in dual-channel mode. Check your mobo manual (or internet).

Since you have a 690 I routed the cables through on the backside for the mobo (if the will fit) It was a 1mm surplus of cable for me.

Otherwise you can tie them together to make airflow a tiny bit better, and look neater.
neoism said:
So do they all come with vga, because that is what I want to use!
Most mobos with onboard video are VGA out, but some HTPC boards have HDMI out.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Okay, I think we're getting ahead of ourselves here- you're going to most likely be using the video output of your Graphics Card, not your Motherboard, unless you aren't getting a graphics card.

Modern Graphics Cards typically have one or more DVI ports, possibly an HDMI, and some have others as well.

If you need VGA, you can get a very cheap DVI to VGA adapter.

Hazaro said:
Might just be me, but are your RAM slots gray and black?
That might mean they are not in dual-channel mode. Check your mobo manual (or internet).

Since you have a 690 I routed the cables through on the backside for the mobo (if the will fit) It was a 1mm surplus of cable for me.
Yeah I couldn't get my hands on any Dual Channel ram for the mobo, so for now i am using triple channel running on two separate channels.

Thanks for the tip about the cables, maybe I will give it a shot later this week.

i happened to purchase myself a core i7 920 build based on some great deals, and everything has been going well but one thing. I have an asus p6t mobo, and I was constantly adjusting stuff, and after i was finally satisfied, one of the slots wouldn't read my ram. (6gb) So I left two of them in the proper slots, and put the last one inbetween them, and it finally decided to read the last 2gb, but...

It's running in dual channel mode. Any recommendations or should I RMA the motherboard?

no go with a bios update, none of the sticks are dead with memtest, so rma it is. anyone have any experience with asus's RMA and the expected length? borderlands awaits. :(

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hawkian said:
Okay, I think we're getting ahead of ourselves here- you're going to most likely be using the video output of your Graphics Card, not your Motherboard, unless you aren't getting a graphics card.

Modern Graphics Cards typically have one or more DVI ports, possibly an HDMI, and some have others as well.

If you need VGA, you can get a very cheap DVI to VGA adapter.
I don't know why I assumed it just as a display. Graphics cards usually have 2 DVI's outs which usually come with a CVI->VGA connector. Some custom or ATi cards will have HDMI out also.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Technosteve said:
we should make a new thread with all the computers that were built due to this thread.

This thread is what got me into building a computer. If it wasnt for all the good info on here i probly wouldnt have built one. Was a great learning experience.

Good idea Btw.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Tomorrow I get the rig I ordered based on this thread's prices, then customize it a little (SLI action and extra drives). Then I pretty much do nothing with it until Oct 22, because if I start doing all my migration I'll just have to clear everything off again for 7 :lol

I'd do an in-place upgrade but going from Home Premium to Professional = impossible, despite every fucking Win7 disk having every version on it. Good one microsoft!

snack

I'll be buying a new rig come Christmas time. Hopefully the i5 prices will die down a bit. Anyone know if the P55-UD4P a good mobo for overclocking?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
What do u guys think of this for a non gaming rig?

Intel i5
Gigabyte ga p55 ud4p mobo
G.skill ripjaws ddr3 4 gb 1333 ram
Sapphire hd 4770
Sony optiarc DVD rw 24x
Arctic silver 5 thermal paste
Gigabyte triton 180 mid size case
Corsair 550vx power supply
Western digital 1 tb 7200 rpm drive wd1001fals

877 shipped. It'll replace a 6 year old rig and I'll be getting windows 7 when it releases. I needed something with at least 1 PCI slot that could do xp virtualization. Will this be okay if I wanted to get a higher end gpu later as far as the power supply? Does it sound well thought out? Am I gonna fuck up the CPU trying to install it?

Firestorm

If you're getting all that, why not just go with the 4870 or 4890 and make it for gaming too?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150436
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150359

What will the PC be used for?

I think you'd be fine with this motherboard for $30 less:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128401

The UD4P is more for people who need to SLI or for some reason want two ethernet ports I think. And you won't be SLIing on a 550w PSU anyway.

Edit: The PSU will run any video card on the market. So yes, you can get a better video card.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Firestorm said:
If you're getting all that, why not just go with the 4870 or 4890 and make it for gaming too?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150436
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150359

What will the PC be used for?

I think you'd be fine with this motherboard for $30 less:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128401

The UD4P is more for people who need to SLI or for some reason want two ethernet ports I think. And you won't be SLIing on a 550w PSU anyway.

Edit: The PSU will run any video card on the market. So yes, you can get a better video card.
Too expensive. I wanted something good enough that I could catch up on slightly older of games before I get a better card. I'll be using xp until windows 7 comes out so I can't play some newer games anyway right?. That motherboard I can't find FireWire on it, and it only has 1 PCI-e slot so it doesn't seem very future proof.

I'll be using the comp for school and music production. And maybe some programming since I'm starting to do programming classes.

Firestorm

Ooh didn't notice it didn't have firewire. Although the 4870 shouldn't be too expensive. You're paying $99.99 for a 4770. Another $25 (after MIR) gets you a damn good card that should last you quite a while. At the current price the 4870 is at, I think it's a good bet. You can see some comparisons between the 512MB version of the 4870 (I linked to the 1GB version) and the 4770 in the benchmarks in this review:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...20-ati-radeon-hd-4770-512mb-gddr5-review.html

HD4770-27.JPG

But yeah the 4770 should be good enough if you plan to grab a video card in the next year or two.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I was gonna get a 70 doallar card so I already did the trading up thing. I'm waiting til I can play chrysis at 60 fps at the lowest with mega detail and great AA for like 200 bucks before I invest in a sweet graphics card.

The CPU comes with heatsink/ fan right? What's a good tutorial on installing a CPU or just building a comp in general?

nubbe

I decided to get an additional 4870 for my system instead of a 5870 since x2 4870s can almost match a 5870 and they go for about €150.

There was a nice bump in FPS across the board, but the best thing was that I can now use x4 or x8 AA with edge detection without noticing a performance impact in most game.

Edge detection really makes the games feel much less artificial and more living.
The almost complete removal of jaggies with x8 ED AA really made a huge difference!

Ubersnug

Can anyone recommend a decent and moderately priced PCI Wireless card that is currently known to be compatible with Windows 7 64bit?

I had just bought an ASUS wireless PCI card (model escapes me just now) but just wouldn't work properly in Windows 7 and just barely works in in XP Pro.

Mohonky

Got a quote put together today. Thinking I will look at this some time in the next month;

Intel S1366 Core i7 920 2.66GHz Quad Core CPU
ASUS S1366 P6T-Deluxe V2 Motherboard
DDR3 6GB Corsair C7 1600MHz RAM Triple Channel Kit
Internal All-in-1 Memory Card Reader Black
800GB Western Digital AADS 32M SATA HDD
* No PCI Express Video Card
* No Monitor
Antec Two Hundred Case (No PS)
Thermaltake 750W Toughpower QFan ATX Power Supply
* No Keyboard
* No Mouse
Samsung 22x DVD Writer SATA Black
Integrated Sound Card
* No Speakers
* No Printer
Integrated Gigabit Network Connection
* No Modem
* No Operating System
* No Acronis Disk Imaging/Restore Software
FDD/Card Reader Mount 3.5inch To 5.25inch Black

GST Inclusive Price: $1569 (AUD)

Thoughts? I haven't priced the OS as I didn't want to bother pricing Win Vista 64bit + 7 Upgrade, I'll just get it when Win 7 is out, price includes putting the desktop together as I know I won't be able to do it / can't be fucked learning too.

Video card will come later, thinking 5870.

Binabik15

Binabik15 said:
I think I´ll go with the i5 750, but I have questions about the mobo and case.

I thought about getting the Gigabyte GA P55M UD2 (a mATX) and a Coolermaster Elite midi-tower.

Will the 5850 fit?

Bigger mobo and case will be more expensive again :/

But I´m getting 19% off the whole purchase, so I´m not THAT bad off

Anyone?

The UD2 is cheaper, but if it doesn´t fit the 5850, the UD3 surely will, yes?

Binabik15 said:
Anyone?

The UD2 is cheaper, but if it doesn´t fit the 5850, the UD3 surely will, yes?

The case will determine if it could contain a 5850.
the only size difference is the extra stuff height wise (not the way the vid card goes)
A ATX board is 11.60" x 9.60"
and M-ATX is 9.60" x 9.60"

and Beje the Xonar sound cards sound great. I currently have a Xonar DX and the sound quality is awesome. But this is my second one as the first developed some random blip sound every few seconds. I was able to get a new one under warranty but supply seems pretty limited as I think asus might be pulling out of the soundcard market, and driver support has become non existent. It is a shame though as the card is bloody cheap, and I thought it sounder better than the X-FI platnium card I had for a while (too much extra software as well).
So if you have $80USD, a Xonar DX is a good card if you don't have a nvidia chipset board

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Dear PC-GAF,

I am thinking about building a new, future proof computer from the ground. Money is not much of a problem, but I'd like to keep things air cooled and without redundant hardware (no Crossfire/SLI). So far the Ati 5870 looks like a good GPU, but I'd like to know if there's something better close to Microsoft's Windows 7 launch, which would be the moment to buy all my hardware.

XOXO,

Papa

Minsc

Gold Member
Timedog said:
Too expensive. I wanted something good enough that I could catch up on slightly older of games before I get a better card. I'll be using xp until windows 7 comes out so I can't play some newer games anyway right?. That motherboard I can't find FireWire on it, and it only has 1 PCI-e slot so it doesn't seem very future proof.

I'll be using the comp for school and music production. And maybe some programming since I'm starting to do programming classes.

XP runs everything windows 7 does, that's worth running (as far as games go). You won't get DX 10 or 11, but there's only like 2 or 3 games that don't support DX9. Even Diablo 3 when it comes out in a couple years will support DX9.

Don't you think you'd be better off just waiting about 2 more weeks though? Then you can skip putting XP on all together, probably save you some trouble.

On a seperate note, time to start order some parts for my new PC... can't wait! Just ordered one of these guys:

CP1500AVRLCD.jpg
PowerPanel-PE-Animated-475.gif

CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD. Sounds sweet, so much better than the bulldog or whatever I had before. It even officially lists Windows 7 as a supported OS, which is great.

I like that it looks more like a computer than a UPS too :lol

beje

Banned
Romance Pie said:
and Beje the Xonar sound cards sound great. I currently have a Xonar DX and the sound quality is awesome. But this is my second one as the first developed some random blip sound every few seconds. I was able to get a new one under warranty but supply seems pretty limited as I think asus might be pulling out of the soundcard market, and driver support has become non existent. It is a shame though as the card is bloody cheap, and I thought it sounder better than the X-FI platnium card I had for a while (too much extra software as well).
So if you have $80USD, a Xonar DX is a good card if you don't have a nvidia chipset board

Thanks, I'll take a look at it. Either that or save a little more to get the Auzentech in a month or so.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
What's happening in 2 weeks where I can skip xp?

Edit:nm. For some reason I thought w7 came out next year. Fuuuu...

Binabik15

Romance Pie said:
The case will determine if it could contain a 5850.
the only size difference is the extra stuff height wise (not the way the vid card goes)
A ATX board is 11.60" x 9.60"
and M-ATX is 9.60" x 9.60"

The Coolermaster Elite RC-335 I´m eying is a midi tower (19.2" x 7.3" x 16.3") that supports both mATX and ATX mainboards.

So I can use either the mATX UD2 or the ATX UD3 mobo and the Radeon 5850 will fit in?

The Coolermaster Elite 360 (5.8" x 14.2" x 17.3") won´t fit it though, right? Because that´d actually fit under my tv :lol

Sorry for being dense, but I don´t even know how todays graphic cards are put in with their dual-slots and all, and all the measurements being in gibberish, err, Imperial, doesn´t help

Manp

Lostconfused said:
Just moved everything over to the new case this afternoon. But didn't bother taking too many pics since its ruining at the moment.

21oarnp.jpg

Cabling requires the skill of an artist, and i am not sure I can manage anything like that without getting a modular PSU, even then i doubt it will improve my results that much.

i think i did a pretty good work with mine (same case of course):

35ak5e1.jpg

even considering the shoddy paint job :D

sorry for the crappy photo

:)

Salaadin

A few more things:

I want the ASUS VH236H monitor. Its max res is 1920x1080. Is this a good res to run most games with higher settings with the Radeon 5850? I dont think that I need anything more than that.

What about lower res games? I have no idea if monitors only support certain resolutions or if thats more of a graphics card issue. If I want to run a game at a res lower than 1920x1080, am I still ok? I cant seem to find anything regarding this monitor and supported resolutions...just max resolution. Can someone clarify?

Amazon has the Sapphire Radeon 5850 pegged with a delivery estimate of Oct 28 - Nov 5th. Id like to have this whole thing built and together before then. If I were to buy everything and put it together, would that make it overly difficult to slip the 5850 in there once I get it?

Also, the mobo Im buying has no onboard video. Assuming I do put the whole thing together without a graphics card, can I still turn on the PC and enter the BIOS, etc just to make sure I didnt screw up and everything is in working order or would it be best for me to just assemble it and leave it alone until that 5850 comes in?

Earlier I asked if Id have any issues fitting a 5850 into my Antec 900 case. Someone (sorry, bad with names) replied saying that worst case scenario would be having to remove an HDD bay. Do these typically slide out or is it something Id have to cut out assuming I have to do this?

What about cable management? Id like to keep things clean and organized in there (thats what she said!). Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations here? Should this be done once the PC is completely assembled or should it be done as the PC is put together?

Ok I guess thats more than a few questions. The more I think about it, the more I come up with. Sorry :p

Link to my build again just in case: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=15403048

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Salaadin, you should be fine on all counts. I particularly find your question about resolutions hilarious :p If a monitor/graphics card can do the MAXIMUM resolution you want, you can do every resolution lower than that with no problems and a performance boost in games.

If the motherboard truly has NO onboard video, then you won't even have a place to plug in a VGA cable to your monitor, so your question is nullified. You won't be able to see the bios ;)

Moving a hard drive is among the easiest things to do internally with a PC. You most likely wouldn't have to literally remove a bay, just move the HDD from one to another (I had to do this with my GTX260). Typically antec's bays are fixed to the frame of the case so removing it isn't really a viable option anyway, but it's not at all likely that you'd need to do that. And since you're putting it together from scratch (right?) you can see where you're going to put the GFX card, and strategically put your HDD somewhere that obviously won't get in its way.

Salaadin

Hawkian said:
Salaadin, you should be fine on all counts. I particularly find your question about resolutions hilarious :p If a monitor/graphics card can do the MAXIMUM resolution you want, you can do every resolution lower than that with no problems and a performance boost in games.

If the motherboard truly has NO onboard video, then you won't even have a place to plug in a VGA cable to your monitor, so your question is nullified. You won't be able to see the bios ;)

Moving a hard drive is among the easiest things to do internally with a PC. You most likely wouldn't have to literally remove a bay, just move the HDD from one to another (I had to do this with my GTX260). Typically antec's bays are fixed to the frame of the case so removing it isn't really a viable option anyway, but it's not at all likely that you'd need to do that. And since you're putting it together from scratch (right?) you can see where you're going to put the GFX card, and strategically put your HDD somewhere that obviously won't get in its way.

Just laugh it up, why dontcha! :D

Thanks for the speedy reply. Im going to start ordering all of these parts then and get this thing together before the graphics card gets here. Hopefully I see one pop up somewhere sooner than the 28th. Ill be antsy seeing the whole thing together with no gfx card, wondering if it works but Ill get over it.

Thanks again.

garath

Salaadin said:
A few more things:

I want the ASUS VH236H monitor. Its max res is 1920x1080. Is this a good res to run most games with higher settings with the Radeon 5850? I dont think that I need anything more than that.

What about lower res games? I have no idea if monitors only support certain resolutions or if thats more of a graphics card issue. If I want to run a game at a res lower than 1920x1080, am I still ok? I cant seem to find anything regarding this monitor and supported resolutions...just max resolution. Can someone clarify?

It's not a dumb question. LCD monitors have a native resolution. The native resolution is the actual number of pixels in the display. You CAN display a lower resolution but the monitor will either try to extrapolate the extra pixels or you will just end up with black borders. It's not like a CRT monitor which will fill the screen with the given resolution.

Plan your system around playing games in that native resolution. It'll look funny otherwise.

Oh and to answer your question, yes, a 5850 will be great for running games at 1920x1080

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
garath said:
It's not a dumb question. LCD monitors have a native resolution. The native resolution is the actual number of pixels in the display. You CAN display a lower resolution but the monitor will either try to extrapolate the extra pixels or you will just end up with black borders. It's not like a CRT monitor which will fill the screen with the given resolution.

Plan your system around playing games in that native resolution. It'll look funny otherwise.

Oh and to answer your question, yes, a 5850 will be great for running games at 1920x1080

Having black borders or a stretched image doesn't PREVENT you from playing games at a lower resolution. And neither would prevent the gain in GPU performance from rendering a smaller image.

Obviously, everything looks best at an LCD monitor's native resolution.

FreezeSSC

OK now that I've built my PC i need a new monitor, with all the different options im confused as to what would be the best monitor for me. I'm looking basically something that's 22"+ and hopefully under $300. any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Firestorm

FreezeSSC said:
OK now that I've built my PC i need a new monitor, with all the different options im confused as to what would be the best monitor for me. I'm looking basically something that's 22"+ and hopefully under $300. any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
If lack of input lag and higher resolution is more important than colour accuracy (and if 16:9 is more desirable than 16:10): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236059

If colour accuracy and viewing angles is more important than input lag: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...detail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=2209WA3

For the Dell, if you can, I'd wait for a coupon.

Firestorm said:
If lack of input lag and higher resolution is more important than colour accuracy (and if 16:9 is more desirable than 16:10): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236059

If colour accuracy and viewing angles is more important than input lag: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...detail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=2209WA3

For the Dell, if you can, I'd wait for a coupon.

10% off if you use this code:

Dell Small Business
Save an additional 10% on Select phones, gps, networking, and monitors!
Code: D8JCZ8T7RL5NF4

Make sure to use a Dell Small Business link.

Pangya

FreezeSSC said:

I'm waiting for the Samsung XL2370 to come out:

http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/samsung-syncmaster-xl2370/4505-3174_7-33683882.html

I'm really hoping that LED backlight makes a big difference in terms of black and white contrast since it really is noticeable on my current LCD monitors.

FreezeSSC

Pangya said:
I'm waiting for the Samsung XL2370 to come out:

http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/samsung-syncmaster-xl2370/4505-3174_7-33683882.html

I'm really hoping that LED backlight makes a big difference in terms of black and white contrast since it really is noticeable on my current LCD monitors.

Thats interesting, so would the LED make that much of a difference?? i've seen some of those new LED monitors but they go for ridiculous prices practically more than my computer i built lol. hmmm well i need a new monitor now since i just sold my old HDTV i was using as a monitor. I guess i'll go with the ASUS one because i really dont care about color accuracy too much im no graphic designer just play games casually and thats a great price.

domlolz

Banned
bogg said:
I'm running at 3.4 Ghz (400x8.5) with stock cooling, can get to 3.6 stable if I up the vcore, haven't tried pushing it further than that though.

Oh cool, so how does overclocking work with the core 2 duo's anyway? Are there any recommended guides? I overclocked my Athlon XP mobile but that just involved changing the multiplier and the multipliers are locked on these processors, well I think they are anyway

edit:Forget this, I actually read the first post

Firestorm

FreezeSSC said:
Thats interesting, so would the LED make that much of a difference?? i've seen some of those new LED monitors but they go for ridiculous prices practically more than my computer i built lol. hmmm well i need a new monitor now since i just sold my old HDTV i was using as a monitor. I guess i'll go with the ASUS one because i really dont care about color accuracy too much im no graphic designer just play games casually and thats a great price.
Yeah, Asus is best for you then. If you sold your HDTV, those inputs will help if you have a 360 or PS3 as well as the 16:9 aspect ratio and 1080p resolution for videos.

The monitor is awful at scaling though. Standard def content looks like shit on it. Although maybe they're all like that. I went to it from my 1280x800 laptop.

Top Bottom