• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
My idle temp is like 65c now, and when I first built the computer a few days ago the idle temp was like 29c. What should I do?

A guy at school said the temps would fluctuate for the first couple days while the heatsink "sets". Is this true?

Toby

Combichristoffersen said:
EDIT: After looking into it some more, the slot I asked about might possibly be a PCI-e 16X slot, not a PCI-e 2.0 slot, but a PCI-e 2.0 card would be backwards compatible with a 16X slot, right?
Ya, I think that's a x16 slot. PCI-e 1.0 and on is compatible with a PCI-E 2.0 card. While 2.0 does offer twice the bandwidth, I don't believe any cards out yet have actually benefited from it (don't know for sure).

I've slipped a PCI-E 2.0 8800GT into two old s939 mobos before with PCI-E 1.0 slots without any problems. You should be good to go, just remember you will need a better PSU with that card.

mug

Timedog said:
My idle temp is like 65c now, and when I first built the computer a few days ago the idle temp was like 29c. What should I do?

A guy at school said the temps would fluctuate for the first couple days while the heatsink "sets". Is this true?
Have you moved your computer lately? There could be something touching the heatsink - try re-seating the thing and apply the thermal compound again (use Arctic Silver)

Hazaro said:
When the computer is off, unplug the power connector, then hold down the power button.
Let go of the power button, then reconnect the power, wait a bit, then try and see if it turns on.

If not I'd double and then triple check everything. (Wires, screws, connections, etc)
Look for anything loose or dirty/dusty as well. (Screw behind the mobo is the infamous answer)
I double checked all that stuff. I hooked up SPKR, and after powering on, I get a continuous stream of beeps. The mobo manual says that continuous long beeps are a power problem, while short beeps means no video card. I plugged in the video card, no change. If I had to guess, what I am hearing are "long" beeps for a power problem.

And then after about 20 seconds, the system appears to power back down on its own, then a few seconds later, it powers back on, and this cycle continues until I flick the switch on the back of the PSU.

I have a spare Antec Truepower 430, but I think that's too old for this board. The main PSU-mobo connector is 4 pins smaller on the 430.

So... New PSU? The mobo manual does recommend a 500 watt PSU, and I'm only using a 380.

The alternative is to remove the CPU cooler, redo the thermal grease, and reattach those mounting pegs from hell, but I'm sick of doing that.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
mug said:
Have you moved your computer lately? There could be something touching the heatsink - try re-seating the thing and apply the thermal compound again (use Arctic Silver)

something touching the heatsink? what do you mean?

I maybe put too little thermal paste on the heatsink? I put like a rice grain sized amount and it was really hard to spread it over the entire heatsink.

Parallax Scroll said:
I double checked all that stuff. I hooked up SPKR, and after powering on, I get a continuous stream of beeps. The mobo manual says that continuous long beeps are a power problem, while short beeps means no video card. I plugged in the video card, no change. If I had to guess, what I am hearing are "long" beeps for a power problem.

And then after about 20 seconds, the system appears to power back down on its own, then a few seconds later, it powers back on, and this cycle continues until I flick the switch on the back of the PSU.

I have a spare Antec Truepower 430, but I think that's too old for this board. The main PSU-mobo connector is 4 pins smaller on the 430.

So... New PSU? The mobo manual does recommend a 500 watt PSU, and I'm only using a 380.
The alternative is to remove the CPU cooler, redo the thermal grease, and reattach those mounting pegs from hell, but I'm sick of doing that.
:lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Why has this thread discounted the i7s? They rock :-/

i5s are certainly more bang for the buck, but there be nothing wrong with the i7s, they scream and overclock like candy.

BrodiemanTTR said:
E7200 @ 2.5 Ghz

Quite a substantial improvement then, and I wouldn't hold out for anything more until you're willing to upgrade your CPU as well- you'll hit a bottleneck with a faster GFX card.

Ashhong

hey guys, so right now i have an Asus 512mb 4870 and was a little underwhelmed, wish i went with at least the 1gb.

anyways, a friend wants to upgrade his card so he can play L4D and Dragons Age, and other games, and i was thinking of selling mine to him.

my question is this: what is a fair price for my card and what should i upgrade to? i was thinking 1gb 4870 unless i can find a good priced 4890, but then theres the new 5 series. are those worth it? im hoping to pay only like, 25 dollars more to upgrade. rebates are fine with me. thanks!

edit: i have a E7400, is it already bottlenecking my system? meaning should i bother with a better card?

and my friend only has an intel dual E2200 @ 2.20ghz. should he even be upgrading?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What resolution are you playing at?

EDIT: and sorry what would be your friend's current GFX solution?

EDIT++: Screw it, I'm making the Tech Support thread. Your question can be the first reply in there, Ashhong.

Ashhong

tech support thread sounds good, but this is still kinda an upgrade question.

im playing L4D at 1680x1050, and dont like the way the FPS can drop.

hes currently on an integrated thing..no idea what it is.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Toby said:
Ya, I think that's a x16 slot. PCI-e 1.0 and on is compatible with a PCI-E 2.0 card. While 2.0 does offer twice the bandwidth, I don't believe any cards out yet have actually benefited from it (don't know for sure).

I've slipped a PCI-E 2.0 8800GT into two old s939 mobos before with PCI-E 1.0 slots without any problems. You should be good to go, just remember you will need a better PSU with that card.

Thanks. I'll pick up a new PSU to go with the card then.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=377301

Okay so here's this.

My thoughts are:

This thread (and the soon to be made 2010 thread) should be able building or buying a new PC. This should include most questions about where to find good deals and best bang for the buck, etc, as well as the best hardware combos, and such things, as well as upgrades where you're just curious as to where is the best place to put your money.

The other thread can be for any problems you are experiencing with your current rig. They can be hardware or software-related and your intended resolution should be getting to continue using your PC in good working order, that is- giving up and saying you'll just buy a new one would bring you back to this thread. :)

Hawkian said:
Why has this thread discounted the i7s? They rock :-/

i5s are certainly more bang for the buck, but there be nothing wrong with the i7s, they scream and overclock like candy.

Quite a substantial improvement then, and I wouldn't hold out for anything more until you're willing to upgrade your CPU as well- you'll hit a bottleneck with a faster GFX card.

Nothing a quick and easy OC can't sort out.

Daigoro

help PC Gaf!

damn, yesterday everything was hunky dory. i was playing DoW2 and it was running fine. this morning i fired up STALKER SOC and it was running like total crap. but it always kind of runs crappy, so i figured it was just acting up or i needed to defrag or something.

so i fired up DOW2 and it was running very poorly. i defragged my drive and it didnt help. i ran the DOW performance test and i was getting an average of 6fps. the sound is also screwed up, lots of crackling and noise. just running really crappy.

i got new drivers for my card (Radeon 4670). deleted old drivers, restarted and tried to install the new ones. it starts but doesn't finish and i get this:

2nr241t.jpg

i check the device manager for my display adapters and i get this:

j9wuug.jpg

i tried switching PCI slots and the device still wont start.

then i tried to install an old geforce 6800. when i did, the device manager found it right away and the drivers installed without an issue. i fired up L4D and got it to run at reduced settings and resolution at around 20-30 fps so i figured it was working. but when i fire up DOW2 i get the same performance and sound issues. still ran at 6fps during the test. (maybe the card just wont run the game at all, but the exact same performance and sound issues i was getting lead me to believe something else is wrong)

i deleted drivers, put the 4670 back in and obviously its still not being recognized int he device manager and the drivers refuse to install.

any ideas?

So I just whipped up a preliminary (and quick, i.e. I needed to get it done finally, so its probably not a great combo) partial build for my new rig, any input is welcomed - I'll probably be using the case my current system is in as I love it, I imagine the PSU I picked is a bit much. Any recommendations for side fans for the case? I took the panel out when I first got it as temps seemed good, but with this new stuff, would it be recommended?

Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz Socket 1366 8MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/166528/show_product_reviews - £441.18inc vat
Sapphire Technology ATI Radeon 5870 HD 1GB DDR5 PCI-Express DVI (Includes Colin McRae: Dirt 2 Voucher) - http://www.dabs.com/products/sapphi...ae--dirt-2-voucher--661N.html?refs=4294950394 - £299.00 inc vat
Asus Triton 88 Socket i7, 775, 754, 939, AM2+ Processor Cooler - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/158469 - £51.15inc vat
Hi-Power Black 800W Modular 13.5cm Fan PSU - 4x PCI-E, 20+4pin, 6x SATA - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/135196/show_product_overview - £66.99inc vat
Memory - ?
x2 (Already have 1x 1TB drive) - Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache - OEM - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/173804 - Now £56.96 inc vat
Motherboard - ?
This is my Current system:

1 x LG Electronics Blu-Ray & HD-DVD-Rom Combo 16x DVDRW Black SATA - Retail Box With Software
1 x Coolermaster RealPower 700W Modular PSU - SLI Ready
1 x PowerColor HD 3870 XT X2 1GB GDDR3 256bit Dual DVI TV Out PCI-E Graphics Card
Thermalright HR-05-SLI, Northbridge SLI
Item: FX-62 Athlon AM2 Dual Core 2.8GHz
DFI Infinity nF UltraII-M2/G SKT AM2 PCI-E 8channel audio ATX
Item: CoolerMaster Stacker 830 RC-830 Silver Case
Item: Kingston Valueram 2Gb 667MHz DDR2 Non Ecc CL5 Kit Of 2 X 1GB

Daigoro

well GAF. dunno what in the world could have caused the problem, but a system restore back to 2 days ago fixed my issues for the moment.

i honestly didnt download or change anything (besides a podcast) since i installed DOW 2 days ago, so i have no clue what caused the problem. im just glad its working again. hopefully the problem doesnt return.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I reset my hsf and now I'm running a little cooler, 45c idle and 85c full load, still pretty bad and not overclockable. I think i'm gonna turn my rear fan speed up since that is blowing the hottest air. I think my shitty wire management is not helping AT ALL.

I would like to get a aftermarket hsf. Are there ones that blow the air a certain way? I'd like to blow the are towards my huge fan on the top of my Antec 900 case.

Daigoro said:
well GAF. dunno what in the world could have caused the problem, but a system restore back to 2 days ago fixed my issues for the moment.

i honestly didnt download or change anything (besides a podcast) since i installed DOW 2 days ago, so i have no clue what caused the problem. im just glad its working again. hopefully the problem doesnt return.

Good to hear it worked out. What OS are you running if I may ask? Just kinda curious.

Jenga

Banned
GAF I have $500 to spend on computer upgrades.

Right now, I've decided I want a new graphics card and/or a new monitor.

Recommendations?

I'm thinking of going for a 5870, and using the leftover on a new monitor, OR just using the full $500 for a kickass monitor.

What do you guys think? right now I'm on a 1280x1040 or whatever

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Jenga said:

Recommendations?

I'm thinking of going for a 5870, and using the leftover on a new monitor, OR just using the full $500 for a kickass monitor.

Your new monitor with a higher resolution will be wasted if you don't upgrade your graphics card (I assume you're not going from like a GTX 295 to that :p).

Helmholtz

Jenga said:

Recommendations?

I wouldn't spend 500 dollars on a monitor, but that's just me. I'd go for a 22 inch monitor, but if you want something bigger 24 inch should suffice. You can definitely get a pretty good 24 inch for around 300 dollars I think.
Edit: Also, like the poster above mentioned, you'll need a good card to support a higher resolution, especially with 24" and above.

Firestorm

Jenga said:

Recommendations?

5850 + Dell 2209WA or Asus VH236H

Jenga

Banned
Firestorm said:
5850 + Dell 2209WA or Asus VH236H
Out of curiosity, how big is the difference from a 5850 from a 5870?

I'm updating to Windows 7 from WinXP, and I'd really love to see the Crysis I always wanted :3

Firestorm

Jenga said:
Out of curiosity, how big is the difference from a 5850 from a 5870?

I'm updating to Windows 7 from WinXP, and I'd really love to see the Crysis I always wanted :3
I've heard 20%. It's $100 more than the 5850, which means you'll really be skimping on the monitor.

Firestorm

zoku88

Pein said:
do you guys think this laptop is any good? I really just wanna use it for 1080p video playback and some light gaming like L4D2.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...cat150700050002&type=product&id=1218124208054
1) Don't buy Asus laptops from best buy.

2) The laptop doesn't have the resolution for 1080p, so unless you have an external monitor...

3) If it's only light gaming, there's little sense in getting the G series at all. I'd go for some more modest in specs.

4) It's 8.8 lbs, so it's not that great of an actual laptop, anyway.

equap

Banned
can you guys recommend a good but not really expensive i7 motherboard? i want to get the i7 750. the computer is for gaming, photoshop, light video editing (not a pro), and transcoding mkv to ps3.

Kyuur

So, my computer sucks and I've decided its time for a new one. To build one as I've always wanted to learn how to be more exact. I'm saving up right now, probably won't be able to buy it for a few months at the least. Computer will be used for some gaming, probably not high-end stuff. I just need something better than my current which can barely handle the Half-Life 2 on low settings due to draw distances. <_>

Anyways, I'm a computer building noob so I read up a little bit on what computer parts match and such, scrounged around on Newegg.ca for a while and this is what I came up with. If anyone could find errors with compatibility, better parts for cheaper or anything to improve on this / save me money it'd be awesome!

PS: I plan to use Windows 7 64-bit.

The total comes to $835.91 including Windows Vista w/ upgrade to Windows 7. Not too high but a little bit more than I'd like. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: And then I find this http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229117 which is way cheaper and just as powerful. Haha. Maybe I'm just not good at finding parts... Should I just buy something like that?

Shambles

Also memory express will price match with online stores without factoring shipping. I love them. Also for that price point you might want to consider an athlon II system. PC Perspective keeps a great leaderboard for different price points. The pricing is in american but their list has a much better machine for less.

It doesn't include a case but Antec and Cooler Master have some decent cases at under 70$ that do the job great. NCIX has the antec 300 for 57$ this week. It's the same case I have and although my case has a badly insulated front audio connection I haven't heard anyone else mention it so I assume it's a lemon.

Toby

Chairhome said:
Okay, almost ready to pull the trigger on a new CPU and Mobo. Just wanted feedback (again) on pairing this CPU (AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Black edition) with this mobo (GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-UD4H). Any reason not to?
Seconded. I have the same revision, great board. I haven't gotten close to its limits on overclocking, but its been solid since I've had it. You should also be pretty happy with the CPU. If you plan to overclock at all, that unlocked multiplier will help you achieve the maximum possible.

Timedog said:
I reset my hsf and now I'm running a little cooler, 45c idle and 85c full load, still pretty bad and not overclockable. I think i'm gonna turn my rear fan speed up since that is blowing the hottest air. I think my shitty wire management is not helping AT ALL.

I would like to get a aftermarket hsf. Are there ones that blow the air a certain way? I'd like to blow the are towards my huge fan on the top of my Antec 900 case.
That really doesn't sound right at all, but if you really want a new HSF you really just have to go out and look at them. I'm pretty sure mine here can be situated to blow upward.
Good link to top five HSF by noise and noise here
BTW, that core contact Sunbeam one is supposed to be pretty good and cheap, but I hear its a bitch to install.

nubbe

equap said:
can you guys recommend a good but not really expensive i7 motherboard? i want to get the i7 750. the computer is for gaming, photoshop, light video editing (not a pro), and transcoding mkv to ps3.
i5 750?

Gigabyte UD3 or UD4 are great. But UD3 only has Crossfire with x4 if you plan to use multiple cards.

Vlodril

nvm on the first question i didnt see the first post :lol

As for the second question. Can there be any power problems from country to country or is the power plugs universal (as far as my power box goes).

Top Bottom