• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Firestorm

Max said:
Could I get some help with a happy middle ground build? I honestly know nothing about computer parts and what's best for the price, that's the reason i'm posting in this thread

My budget is preferably around $1,500
I'll try and rustle one up tomorrow night if possible since this week's sales were standard fare.

Aside from games, what will the computer be used for?

Max

I am not Max
Firestorm said:
I'll try and rustle one up tomorrow night if possible since this week's sales were standard fare.

Aside from games, what will the computer be used for?
Just gaming

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Aw hell, it looks like my PSU of choice is absolute rubbish. Any ideas? I'm looking for a non overclocked i5 system with a 5870 video card. Silence is a must.

Polk

Funky Papa said:
Aw hell, it looks like my PSU of choice is absolute rubbish. Any ideas? I'm looking for a non overclocked i5 system with a 5870 video card. Silence is a must.
Corsair 620HX or 650TX.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I am trying to find a keyboard and mouse that works well with Windows 7-64bit. I tried the Microsoft Wireless Desktop 5000 m/kb combo last night and was disappointed with the precision of the mouse. I am a bit concerned about the Logitech Setpoint software issues I have been reading about so I am leaning away from Logitech at the moment. Any recommmendations?

I prefer a quiet keyboard. Wired is fine. I want a precise mouse for gaming. The mouse needs to have a button on the side and a click wheel.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Funky Papa said:
Thanks for the recommendation. Any impressions on the SilverStone Decathlon DA range? I've heard they are extremely silent.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story3&reid=50
Review says it's very quiet.

But honestly with the Corsair you can't go wrong. Mine has endured 8 power outages and been going strong for over a year with a 5 year warranty and is rated at 50C.

The fan spins at 200 RPM and I couldn't hear it just inches away, I doubt you'll have any issues with it, cheaper than the 850w by a lot too.

I'm not sure how the 4/5/650w stack up to the 5/620w (in silence) as they are made by different companies (Seasonic and Channel Well Techonolgies (CWT) iirc).

Vinci

Danish
Actually, aside from my friend's computer issues, I'm trying to become more familiar with the hardware I game on - since, by and large, I just use the computer and don't really know jack-shit about how they function.

As a basis for comparison, what is wrong with this system? Just trying to get a handle on what to look out for and what isn't as good. Specifically for a gaming rig.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
evil solrac v3.0 said:
hmmm... i do remember reading one or two reviews about that, *sigh* then again i had an EVGA board go bad on me so it's all a crapshoot sometimes... though i don't think i'll be doing a 5.0GHZ OC! :lol
That makes one of us. I also got a $30 mobo/cpu replacement plan.

icon_twisted-1.gif

Snowden

Banned
Last computer I bought was back in 2002, and I've had any experience beyond ordering from Dell. So yeah, know next to nothing about all this, but I tried to follow the advice and builds more or less from what I've seen here. I hope all this fits together, but with the high likelihood that I completely screwed this up, left something out, etc., I thought I'd check with you gurus before dropping a cent on any of it. Be gentle!

rjkwmp.jpg

PSU is a bad buy.

GTX 285 is overpriced, if you can't hold out for a 5850, A 4890, a factory OCed GTX 260 OR gtx 275 are a better buy.

You've chose a slow media drive for your HDD, scratch that, go with a Samsung F3 or similar, you want your boot drive to be as quick as possible.

Is this PC primarily for gaming? If so, drop down to an i5 750, only go with the 860 if you do a lot of encoding or rendering etc.

You want 2 RAM DIMMS not 3. 4GB RAM is fine as is 1333mhz RAM. Don't overpay for speedy RAM it has basically no impact on performance.

If you've a student in the family you can get a copy of W7 for $30 from the Ultiamte Steal.

Edit:

Something more like this:

20r6wsk.jpg

Binabik15

I´m going through with buying a rig now, the IQ of Dead Space PS3 pisses me off :lol

Things I´m unsure about is in italics

-Sapphire Radeon 5850 -220 euro (could´ve gotten it for 210 a month ago :/)

Maybe I´ll get a good one and it runs at 5870 speeds :D

-Intel Core i5-750 -160 euro

-Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3 -98 euro

MSI P55-CD53 and ASUS P7P55D LE would cost 5 euro more, no idea which one I should take. I only want one card, maybe a little bit of OCing, but not much (never did it before, don´t want to risk anything), 5 USB ports and the 5850´s HDMI port are everything I need, really. So mybe even a Gigabyte UD2 mATX would be enough?

-OCZ StealthXStream 500W -50 euro

Recommended by brain_stew and quite cheap, but it has been out of stock for over a month at the shop I´d buy :/ Buying it somewhere else would add postage costs.

-WD Caviar SE16 320GB SATA II 16MB -33 euro

It´s 7200 r/min, 16 mb and 320 gb so it should be fast enough, right?

-LG DH16NS bare SATA II dvd-rom -16 euro

Something else I have no idea about, dvd drives. I just want good speed and something that doesn´t sound like an xbox drive :lol A burner wouldn´t be much more, but I know that I will absolutely NOT burn stuff from this pc, so itd be 20 euro saved.

- 4 gb DDR3 RAM ~80 euro

Bah, no idea.
4GB-Kit GEIL Value PC3-10600 DDR3-1333 CL9 for 77 euro seems good, runs at 1.5V and is the cheapest, OCZ, Kingston and A-Data would be a bit more and run at higer voltages.

-Coolermaster Elite RC-335 -30 euro

-Thermal paste, but Arctic Cooling MX2, Arctic Silver V or Arctic Silver Céramique???

All in all that´d be 682 euro without shipping. Hm. But getting the VAT back that´ll be "only" 573 euro. If I had ordered excactly the same thing a month ago it would´ve costs 40 euro less. :/

OS will be Windows 7.

Right now stock cooling will have to do. But two or so case fans (noctuas, probably) and a better heat sink would be great little christmas gifts.

Niks

Just want to say thanks on everyone in this thread for the help provided. My system is up and running without issues.

Thanks again.
:D

Vinci

Danish
Is there an American equivalent to NCIX? As much as I'd like to do a custom build myself in the future, I'm a bit nervous and would be more than willing to pay the place $50 or so to assemble the thing on my behalf.

kmfdmpig

Vinci said:
Is there an American equivalent to NCIX? As much as I'd like to do a custom build myself in the future, I'm a bit nervous and would be more than willing to pay the place $50 or so to assemble the thing on my behalf.

Yes. It's actually the same company: ncixus.com

It's not as easy to find the $50 assembly option, but it's there.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
What brands have the best budget case/PSU combo? I've heard of the Antec III, any others? I really HATE having the PSU crap out on me, since then I've always went Corsair and case seperated, but I'm willing to take a gamble again.

DenogginizerOS said:
Has anyone tried the combo of the Logitech G500 mouse and the Logitech illuminated keyboard with Windows 7-64?

I currently use that keyboard with win 7 RTC 64 and it works sweet as. The two mice I have are a MX revolution that I use for graphic work (with mouse acceleration on) and a MX 518 for gaming (mouse acceleration off)
I have had no real problems with set point, but if you do there is uber options that will allow more customisation of mouse buttons etc.

Haven't heard too much about the G500 being great, think you would be better off with a mx 518 or G5 ver2 since they work and are much cheaper.

edit: Binabik15
Looks like a solid rig and you will be surprised how quickly Dead space will load :]
Ohh with the HDD, try and get the 640 Black WDD, better speeds and more space is always helpful.
I've use arctic cooling MX-2 thermal paste and like how it is non conductive. Also gives the same cooling performance as arctic silver 5.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Vinci said:
Thank you kindly.
Keep in mind that everything will come through Canada and be inspected by customs though.
Oh and USD to CAD. And Shipping. :/

The only thing I bought from ncix.us was a 8800GT on launch day and that arrived in 22 hours. I did select 2 day shipping though. :D

@Max - Buy at least a 500GB or 640GB drive. The new 500GB WD is a single platter and very fast. (Make sure it's the single platter 500GB in reviews though).

@Binabik15 - I'd go for MX2, although Ceramique is fine too.
GEIL is fine RAM
It´s 7200 r/min, 16 mb and 320 gb so it should be fast enough, right?
Depends on the platters. I would guess it's the 320GB platter version but it might be the 160GB version making it much slower. Check the serial/model online if you can.

So I bought a pc like 5 years ago, Intel Core 2 duo 6400 was the processor. If i upgrade to a dx11 card, will my computer still be able to run cod4, stalker borderlands ect. on high? or is my processor too outdated?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
arts&crafts said:
So I bought a pc like 5 years ago, Intel Core 2 duo 6400 was the processor. If i upgrade to a dx11 card, will my computer still be able to run cod4, stalker borderlands ect. on high? or is my processor too outdated?
6400 is still a fine CPU, overclocking will certainly help. A healthy boost to 3Ghz or 3.2Ghz can be done on a $20-$25 cooler.

Even at stock you shouldn't be very limited by it. (Except for STALKER, but you can try fan mods/patches to help improve your performance for that)

Max

I am not Max
Firestorm said:
Still wouldn't recommend it. It looks like NCIX's sale is tomorrow. I'll get back to you tomorrow.

Are you a student?
Here's another one that's basically the same thing, probably still won't recommend it, heh. Can it be made cheaper or something? I'm scared because its hard to tell whether i'm getting my money's worth.

http://i38.tinypic.com/2eq83me.png

And no.

kmfdmpig said:
Depending on the apps you're going to run and the processor you might be just fine with a bit less RAM.
Most users are just fine with Win 7 Premium and don't need Ultimate.
Those are two areas to save some money.

For a video card you might want to check for a 5850. It's hard to find now as demand > supply at this point, but in terms of bang for the buck and being a bit future proof (DX11) it's very good.

You can pick up either an internal or external flash card reader for cheap.

You can also grab a good DVD/R drive for $30 or less.
If you have a 750GB drive that you can use then you may want to consider an SSD drive as your main drive. It's a bit more expensive, but it will trim loading times dramatically. When using one the general goal is this: Apps and OS go on the SSD, files such as music, video files, etc... go on your other drive. That lets you get by with a smaller drive for your SSD.

-The RAM is something of a tradition, and to hope for that extra bit of future proof. My horribly old 32bit PC from all those years back is still rocking the 2GB of RAM I got with it in the first place. Also, I may likely be doing some batshit intensive stuff with 64 bit capable/necessary maps and such on Elemental at some point so...

-Yeah, from what I saw on the little comparison page, I don't know that Bitlocker and some foreign language supports would really be worth the extra $20-30

-Good to know on flash card...might do best to go for an external on that front on more of an "as it especially would happen to come up" basis.

-Dunno about SSD...not very concerned about load times. Something to think about considering prices and such considering it is supposed to be the future and all I think. I fear all manner of HDs really and thus will be robust on dvd backups and some manner of online backups. I've never had an HD fail, I've also never used an external before(the one mentioned above is still sitting unused in the box, been too backlogged to get around to a grand archiving), but the prospect of losing actual WORK as opposed to something more innocous in times past gives pause for thought. I suppose there's something to be said for trying to have enough cash on hand for replacements and such but I don't know that to be really possible so reliability under use is paramount.

-Thoughts on an 8800 GT as recommended by a person elsewhere? IIRC. I've seen at least something similar to that moniker come up here and there for awhile now...

Keep the hits coming folks, PMs if it gets detailed, etc. Really do appreciate all the help.

Firestorm

Max said:
Here's another one that's basically the same thing, probably still won't recommend it, heh. Can it be made cheaper or something? I'm scared because its hard to tell whether i'm getting my money's worth.

http://i38.tinypic.com/2eq83me.png

And no.
Nah, NCIX's pre-built aren't good. But you can add every part you want, price match each of them, and then add a $50 option that makes them build it for you (unless you're going to build it yourself).

The thing is, they have a sale every week starting at Wednesday 5:30 PM. Since today is Remembrance Day, I think they're doing it tomorrow instead. Even if not, I'll make a build tomorrow with price matches for you to check out.

Some of the parts you picked before are good, they're just overpriced.

arts&crafts said:

OC to 3ghz+, upgrade to 4GB of RAM, add a new DX11 GPU and you've effectively got a whole new rig $200-$350. Seems the way to go for me.

ElectricThunder said:
-The RAM is something of a tradition, and to hope for that extra bit of future proof. My horribly old 32bit PC from all those years back is still rocking the 2GB of RAM I got with it in the first place. Also, I may likely be doing some batshit intensive stuff with 64 bit capable/necessary maps and such on Elemental at some point so...

-Yeah, from what I saw on the little comparison page, I don't know that Bitlocker and some foreign language supports would really be worth the extra $20-30

-Good to know on flash card...might do best to go for an external on that front on more of an "as it especially would happen to come up" basis.

-Dunno about SSD...not very concerned about load times. Something to think about considering prices and such considering it is supposed to be the future and all I think. I fear all manner of HDs really and thus will be robust on dvd backups and some manner of online backups. I've never had an HD fail, I've also never used an external before(the one mentioned above is still sitting unused in the box, been too backlogged to get around to a grand archiving), but the prospect of losing actual WORK as opposed to something more innocous in times past gives pause for thought. I suppose there's something to be said for trying to have enough cash on hand for replacements and such but I don't know that to be really possible so reliability under use is paramount.

-Thoughts on an 8800 GT as recommended by a person elsewhere? IIRC. I've seen at least something similar to that moniker come up here and there for awhile now...

Keep the hits coming folks, PMs if it gets detailed, etc. Really do appreciate all the help.

A future DDR3 RAM upgrade will be much cheaper than today's prices. Its a stupid place to "future proof". Just add more when its necessary, 4GB is going to be the sweet spot for a good long while until the industry en masse switches away from 32 bit OSes w/ 2GB per program caps, its happening but the transition will take a while.

Ultimate this time around is a crap shoot. It was worth it before to get previous versions and a few other professional things without sacrificing the media centre stuff but Home Premium is much more fully featured this time around.

People shouldn't be buying an 8800GT these days, its long since been replaced, still a great card for today's games butthere's much better options at the low-mid range now. The 4770 and 5750 are much better options yet still super cheap.

drkOne

So, I guess I'm really going for an upgrade, got a buyer for most of my current stuff, I'm pretty much only keeping my case, HDD and PSU (500W).

Going for:
Intel Core i5 750 2.66Ghz
Powercolor ATI Radeon HD 5850 1024MB
Asus P7P55D Pro Intel P55 (Socket 1156)
OCZ Gold 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9
Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB

The upgrade is going to cost me around 200€, coming from an E8400, HD 4870 512MB, 2GB, so I guess it's worth it, at least it'll hold me until Sandy Bridge processors are out there and for a fair price.

I know you told me I should just wait for the Sandy Bridge ones to come out, brain_stew, but I guess they won't really be affordable as soon as they come out and Wikipedia says they'll only be out by 2011, so for 200€ I guess this would keep me from having to lower settings until those arrive.

Considering I prefer to get the best value over the best performance, opinions?
Will use it mostly for gaming @1080p.

brain_stew said:
A future DDR3 RAM upgrade will be much cheaper than today's prices. Its a stupid place to "future proof". Just add more when its necessary, 4GB is going to be the sweet spot for a good long while until the industry en masse switches away from 32 bit OSes w/ 2GB per program caps, its happening but the transition will take a while.

Ultimate this time around is a crap shoot. It was worth it before to get previous versions and a few other professional things without sacrificing the media centre stuff but Home Premium is much more fully featured this time around.

People shouldn't be buying an 8800GT these days, its long since been replaced, still a great card for today's games butthere's much better options at the low-mid range now. The 4770 and 5750 are much better options yet still super cheap.

Hmm, that respect then, what specific RAM would be best to get for the first 4GB? Or do you mean to bite the bullet somewhat and get this DDR3 RAM first off for 4GB, then wait a bit later for a better deal on the remaining possible 4GB? The main issues are timing and money, for instance my friend won't be around for summer break so this junction, aside from being a good idea in general, might well be the last one until the same time in 2010.

Thoughts on monitors? I'm not concerned with size so much as having a good resolution and perhaps the versatility I mentioned in terms of serving as a display for a HD machine of some sort. I doubt I can afford/make best use of/have room for 3 even though I've heard it is potent for art work and the like...but I'm pretty set on going dual.

pestul

Zaptruder said:
I wouldn't consider the PC fully built until it's overclocked and all applications are loaded onto it!
Okay, I've overclocked the shit out of the CPU already. I'm running it at 3.92GHz at 1.25v (i7 920). I can't quite crack that 4.0GHz barrier without going over 1.25v. I may just do that because my temps are still really good (33c idle and 66c load). It might be my ram holding me back too, I'm going to run Memtest86 to see if my ram is bad.

I can't believe how fast this system is. Now I just need to overclock my 5850 to near 5870 levels. :lol

Alex

What do you fellows think about the Logitech G15 keyboard? I've always had rather bland keyboards, was thinking about dropping a little extra and getting a nicer one. Can get one for about 50 bucks.

pestul

Ran Memtest86+ through 4 cycles (2hrs) and there were no errors. I'm pretty sure it's just a CPU juice thing.. but there are so many variables when overclocking an i7. Might just need a BIOS update too.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Is anyone building a Micro ATX gaming rig? I'm curious in how they hold up. I honestly would love to slim down the footprint of my PC. I really see people talking about them often though.

rossonero

Right now I have an AMD Athlon XP 2800+ with 768 MB RAM and a Geforce 5200. I've had this computer for like 6 years and have gotten used to it's "sloweness". I've done my gaming on consoles and I've been trying to use Photoshop and CAD on this computer with not so much success, so usually I do my work at school.

Now I'm going to use CAD more and more for school-work and also 3D Studio MAX and there seems to be coming pretty nice games on the PC as well so it's time to buy a new computer. I just don't know which way to go. An AMD computer with Phenom II X4 955, 5770 and a Asus M4A785TD-V EVO for like 5500 SKR ($785) or an Intel one with i5 750, 5850 and a Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R iP55 for 7000 SKR ($1000).

Both should be pretty close at CAD-work but the i5 would get the nod for gaming right? Seeing as how 5850 is sold out everywhere maybe I'll just wait or buy a 5770 for the Intel rig. Damn, this is hard but so exciting :D

Minsc

Gold Member
rossonero said:
Right now I have an AMD Athlon XP 2800+ with 768 MB RAM and a Geforce 5200. I've had this computer for like 6 years and have gotten used to it's "sloweness". I've done my gaming on consoles and I've been trying to use Photoshop and CAD on this computer with not so much success, so usually I do my work at school.

Now I'm going to use CAD more and more for school-work and also 3D Studio MAX and there seems to be coming pretty nice games on the PC as well so it's time to buy a new computer. I just don't know which way to go. An AMD computer with Phenom II X4 955, 5770 and a Asus M4A785TD-V EVO for like 5500 SKR ($785) or an Intel one with i5 750, 5850 and a Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R iP55 for 7000 SKR ($1000).

Both should be pretty close at CAD-work but the i5 would get the nod for gaming right? Seeing as how 5850 is sold out everywhere maybe I'll just wait or buy a 5770 for the Intel rig. Damn, this is hard but so exciting :D

For gaming, a 5850 is a lot, lot better than the 5770. If you want to future-proof your rig longer, pick up the 5850, the CPU is sort of a washup. You can upgrade the AMD one a lot better down the road than you can the Intel one, but the Intel is faster right now.

Who knows, maybe AMD's roadmap will even cause Intel to support the P55 line a bit more than what they have disclosed so far.

rossonero

Yeah I saw that you guys where discussing the AM3 platform's edge over the P55's when it comes to future upgrades. Being able to just switch the quad to a octo-CPU without needing to buy a new motherboard sure sounds tempting. Maybe even tempting enough to ignore the i5's edge in speed right now.

I guess I should wait until the shops get in some more 5850's, which would maybe even mean to wait until January after the Christmas rush. Maybe then we'll even get to know more about Intel's plans.

Top Bottom