• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

kmfdmpig

Druz said:
some will take advantage of the hyper threading but not to the maximum extent. Mostly for multitasking. Meanwhile the tri channel ram should be fantastic for anything unless I'm mistaken.

Most reviews I've read indicate that tri vs. dual memory makes very little difference at this point.

Shambles

Personally I wouldn't spend 1500$ on a desktop just because it loses value so fast (It wasn't too long ago I spent over 1000$ on a Q6600/4870 512mb :S) but if I was determined to, I'd go with the 920 for the overclocking potential. Really they could throw both sockets out the window but usually they stick with the one with more pins. For this reason if I was building a machine today it would be an AMD machine for it's price/performance, and because they have a clear socket pathway. AM3 will be viable for years.

As far as upgrading your motherboard in future machines this could happen anyways if you end up buying new today for a board without USB 3.0 or Sata3. Other than that I don't see motherboards changing much from what they are today. You can always add in a PCI-card down the road if your end up with a drive that would make use of the bandwidth.

Shambles said:
Personally I wouldn't spend 1500$ on a desktop just because it loses value so fast

Same here, went that route with my last build and it lasted me 3 years before things were unplayable. I went the performance/price route this time around and am much happier. Even though I'll upgrade more, I don't lose much in performance and I end up spending less overall in hardware. Unless you're a true enthusiast, chances are you won't appreciate the benefits of top end hardware.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
gsarjeant said:
Would this be able to handle FFXIV?

I'm looking for a laptop with a 15-inch screen that is basically in that price range. I will likely be doing some software development on it at some point, but it looks like this can handle what I'll be doing (nothing graphics intensive). What I'm not sure of is the gaming capability. I'm not a huge PC gamer, but I'm starting to get into it more. I'd like to be able to play Dragon Age (which I assume it could do based on the context of the recommendation), and FFXIV down the road.

If this can handle those, I think I'd be in good shape. If not, how far would I have to step up?
Yeah, it will be fine with FFXIV.

As far as Dragon Age, I'm running it @ 1680x1050, and it's 30+ fps, even with generous anti-aliasing.

Gully State said:
absolutely..different symptoms but I'm guessing same driver issues since they're similar...for me I fixed it by doing what he had suggested. On top of that..under the attributes tab for your target monitor, make sure enable GPU scaling and Maintain aspect ratio are both checked.. Then go to scaling options, scale to 0 and also check "Use the scaling values instead of the customized setting when desktop resolution does not match your DFP resolution" Apply all that and voila..should be fixed.

Hmmmm, the GPU scaling options are greyed out and I don't see any obvious way to enable them. I'll have to look into this tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.

lowlylowlycook said:
Hmmmm, the GPU scaling options are greyed out and I don't see any obvious way to enable them. I'll have to look into this tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.

Checking GPU scaling/maintain aspect ratio ( and i think applying after that ) made them accessible for me.

Firestorm said:
Sorry I couldn't get you a build this week. NCIX's sale kinda blows right now. Since you have a fairly high budget, I'll try and grab you something a bit over the basic builds I usually do.

This case + PSU combo goes for $220 sometimes and I'm a fan of it: http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=39441&vpn=CP850-P183&manufacture=Bundle Deals

This motherboard is $200:
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=46488&vpn=GA-P55A-UD4P&manufacture=Gigabyte

The Intel i5 at $205 (price match it) should be enough if you're gaming and not doing photoshop/video:
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=42499&vpn=BX80605I5750&manufacture=Intel

4GB of DDR Memory goes from $90 - $100 these days. Just grab a good brand like Corsair, G.Skill, OCZ, Kingston, etc.:
http://www.ncix.com/products/index....00CL9D-4GBNQ&manufacture=G.Skill&promoid=1030

This Samsung is a nice drive that can be PMed to $26:
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=42349&vpn=SH-S223L/BEBS-OEM&manufacture=Samsung

The Samsung F3s seem impossible to get in Canada, so grab a Western Digital 640GB or 1TB Caviar Black for $70 or $100 depending on the size:
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=31000&vpn=WD1001FALS&manufacture=Western Digital WD&promoid=1030

That's about $850 + tax + shipping. For monitor, this Dell is currently on sale for $230:
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/pro....aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=bsd&cs=cabsdt1&sku=320-8325

Thanks man thats pretty awesome!

Dash

evil solrac v3.0 said:

I still wouldn't touch a gigabyte motherboard until the socket issue is fixed. What's $35 when it can save your processor?

Oh and apparently the newer Gigabyte motherboards with USB 3.0 and SATA 6 still have the problematic socket. They only changed the metal brace that holds the processor in place with a Lotes one.

Gully State said:
Checking GPU scaling/maintain aspect ratio ( and i think applying after that ) made them accessible for me.

The whole scaling area is greyed out for me:

CCC-capture.png

Maybe it's the fact that the image is scaled to full panel size is causing the problem. Could my monitor be reporting the wrong size?

Septimus

Say I have a 1080p television, if I hook up my computer to it will I be able to play a PC game at 1650x1080 or will it not have all those extra resolutions?

nubbe

Asus ul30vt is the best laptop ever made?

Portability, performance and battery life.

13"
SU7300
switchable geforce 210m & GMA4500. Both graphical performance and power saving.

Only negative I can find the no backlight keyboard.

I think I've found the perfect laptop for the first time ever.

nubbe said:

13"
SU7300

If a GPU with 16 shaders is "perfect" then, I guess?

nubbe said:
It's hardy a gamin laptop.
But good enough for casual gaming.

If you only want to play games released 5-10 years ago, than that GPU might be fine. But if casual gaming means that you also want to play something that is a bit more up to date, than get as far away as you can from a GPU as ridiculously slow as that thing.

nubbe

Frankfurter said:
If you only want to play games released 5-10 years ago, than that GPU might be fine. But if casual gaming means that you also want to play something that is a bit more up to date, than get as far away as you can from a GPU as ridiculously slow as that thing.
You don't play games at 1920x1200 with maxed settings and 8xAA on that kind of laptop.

But it will run modern games fin at medium or lower settings.

It is marvelous for a slim portable computer

Ifrit

Ifrit said:
So, I just bought an Asus 23 inch LCD monitor (this one), does anyone know some good recommendations on adapters/cables that would let me play on my PS2 and my Wii on it? It'd be really helpful if anyone could give me a link from amazon or other site that accepts international credit cards

Ifrit said:
It has an HDMI, 24-Pin DVI-D and 15-Pin D-Sub connection, acording to the product features, the monitor hasn't arrived yet. My PS2 and Wii both have component cables

Anyone?

teiresias

nubbe said:

13"
SU7300

I'm debating between this and the 1201N. With a dual-core Atom and Ion in the 1201n, I think the UL30VT obviously trumps it in power, but the $300 less price point of the 1201n is attractive for a machine I'll do little gaming on and use mainly as a travel laptop and do some microcontroller coding on.

nubbe

teiresias said:
I'm debating between this and the 1201N. With a dual-core Atom and Ion in the 1201n, I think the UL30VT obviously trumps it in power, but the $300 less price point of the 1201n is attractive for a machine I'll do little gaming on and use mainly as a travel laptop and do some microcontroller coding on.
I was considering the 1201 until I discovered the 30vt.
The 30vt destroys the 1201 in performance and is pretty equal on all other aspects.
But 1201 is a nice option if you don't want to spend the extra $300

At my job I use an Atom 330 based computer with the shitty 950 graphics part. It performs really well, but it is useless for rendering videos and 3D. But should be rather nice paired with the 9400m.

Is there any true modular PSU? I purchased a "modular" one for my first build but it still has about 3 cables that come out of the PSU that you cannot remove.

nubbe

MWS Natural said:
Is there any true modular PSU? I purchased a "modular" one for my first build but it still has about 3 cables that come out of the PSU that you cannot remove.
You mean the 24pin power and EPS cable?
Why would you want to remove them? They are, like, needed to make the shit work.

nubbe said:
You mean the 24pin power and EPS cable?
Why would you want to remove them? They are, like, needed to make the shit work.

It has those and one or two extras. There are cords I can't remove that aren't plugged into anything.

birdchili

MWS Natural said:
seasonic x-650 (and i presume the others in this line) is completely modular. the psu is just a box before you plug stuff in.

birdchili said:
seasonic x-650 (and i presume the others in this line) is completely modular. the psu is just a box before you plug stuff in.

Awesome. Exactly what I was looking for thanks! I will use this in my next build :D

Pctx

Banned
nubbe said:
I was considering the 1201 until I discovered the 30vt.
The 30vt destroys the 1201 in performance and is pretty equal on all other aspects.
But 1201 is a nice option if you don't want to spend the extra $300

At my job I use an Atom 330 based computer with the shitty 950 graphics part. It performs really well, but it is useless for rendering videos and 3D. But should be rather nice paired with the 9400m.
After all the reading I've been doing... the 30vt looks absolutely amazing.

It'll be interesting if they beef up the specs in the next 6 months or so when I'm looking to buy. hell of a laptop though.

lowlylowlycook said:
The whole scaling area is greyed out for me:

CCC-capture.png

Maybe it's the fact that the image is scaled to full panel size is causing the problem. Could my monitor be reporting the wrong size?

I had that same issue in the beginning ...I forgot how I solved that...let me play around and I'll get back to you later ..

Gully State said:
I had that same issue in the beginning ...I forgot how I solved that...let me play around and I'll get back to you later ..

Well if its anything like Nvidia's drivers (I have no idea) then scaling may be locked out when you use a HDMI connection. It only works when you hook up via DVI with Nvidia cards, which is beyond stupid.

Maybe the non standard refresh rate is the problem? Try setting it to 60hz?

brain_stew said:
Well if its anything like Nvidia's drivers (I have no idea) then scaling may be locked out when you use a HDMI connection. It only works when you hook up via DVI with Nvidia cards, which is beyond stupid.

Maybe the non standard refresh rate is the problem? Try setting it to 60hz?

hmmm...I'm connecting via HDMI...from my monitor.. but to the video card, it uses a dvi/HDMI plug that came with the card.

Do the more recent Ati cards actually have an HDMI input?

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
To get those options to show up, I had to set my resolution to something other than my native. I then chose the scaling option I wanted, applied and set my resolution back to native and it seems to have worked.

Red

GAF, please help. This is urgent.

I'm trying to put together my new PC. I have an Asus P6T deluxe motherboard and I'm trying to install an i7-920. But it won't fit! I've made sure it's aligned and set properly, but the CPU hinge won't lock once the processor is in place. I'm freaking out. I've done this before and have never run into this problem (but I've never worked with parts this expensive, which is why I'm worrying so much). Somebody please help, I have parts lying all over my kitchen and I don't want to have to pack it in for the night.

Druz

Make sure the gold arrow is in the right spot. It should fit right in if what I looked up is correct. You're sure it's a 920?

Red

Druz said:
Make sure the gold arrow is in the right spot. It should fit right in if what I looked up is correct. You're sure it's a 920?
Positive. It's properly aligned and it looks like it's "set" right (it doesn't budge when in the right position and "sinks" a little bit into the socket), but I can't close the bracket down on it. There is a lot of resistance, feels like something is definitely not right.

Shitty cell phone pics incoming.

DeadTrees

Crunched said:
Anyone able to help even a little bit with my problem? This is very stressful :(
Remove the CPU and eyeball the socket from several angles to make sure that all the pins are pointing straight up. If there are any bent pins, use a paper clip (preferably plastic) to carefully nudge them into alignment.

Red

OK, this is how the CPU is aligned. Here is how the bracket sits on it. And this is as far as I can push the bar without using considerable pressure.

I might be freaking out over nothing here, but I've never before had to use much force to secure a CPU in place.

markot

Banned
I think you just need to force it down and lock it in. I made mine like 6 months ago and I think I remember doing that too.

(Dont blame me if it cracks in a twillion pieces!)

Red

markot said:
I think you just need to force it down and lock it in. I made mine like 6 months ago and I think I remember doing that too.

(Dont blame me if it cracks in a twillion pieces!)
Oh god, thanks for the positive thoughts :lol

I think I'm just going to force it into place. Fuck me if this doesn't work, it's like throwing $600 down the drain. I can't deal with this suspense.

Just did it. God, I hope it works. There's so much stress on the bracket it feels like the bar is about to bust out and hit me in the face. Fingers crossed :lol

Nobby

I just watched a couple youtube videos on 1366 installs and it doesn't seem like there is that much resistance when dropping the bracket bar down. I don't exactly remember from when I put mine together, but I think I can vaguely recall the hinge of the bracket part going slightly out of alignment and making it more difficult to put the latch down, but everything was okay once I set the hinge correctly. There's a chance I could be confusing this with some other build I've done so not positive if that'll change anything.

Firestorm

Mrbob said:
I got my Q9550 up and running last night to good results. If anyone still has a legacy 775 mobo and don't want to upgrade everything this is a good chip to go with. I did some research on the Q9400 and Q9550. I was able to find the Q9550 within about 40 dollars of the Q9400. If you can find the Q9550 within around 50 bucks of the Q9400 I would go that route. The 9550 has a slightly higher multiplier (8.5 versus 8), so overclocking possibility is higher by default. Plus the Q9550 chip in general is a higher binned chip than the Q9400 so you have better overclocking ability. It does have twice the cache too (12mb versus 6mb), which does make a slight difference in games. But the better overclocking ability is the real difference maker. You can see some of my surprising results below. Looking at pure price to performance, the Q9550 is the best quad core to get. Although this might be changing as the Q9550 price keeps going up. But if you are looking for more of a budget chip, the Q9400 would be a good choice and not that far behind. At this point I would skip the Q8400 as the difference between that and the Q9400 is minimal.

At stock speeds on my Q9550 and GTX 260 I am now getting over 60fps in L4D2 with CX16 AA and 16AF with everything at max settings @ 1080p. Using Fraps my experience has been in the 100s with some action, and then into the mid 60s when everything goes crazy, which is awesome. Dragon Age has had a good boost too. The parts that would drop in the mid teens now holds in the low 40s, with most of the game well over 60fps now.

I did end up doing some overclocking (no games test yet) on the CPU and was able to easily hit 3.4 ghz with it (400 X 8.5). I will be able to go higher but I don't know if I'm going to push it. I'm pretty happy with the performance at stock speed and now I'll have a bigger boost. Overclocking the chip means running hotter, and my current temps are decent. I'm using the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2.0 cooler on it, and it is working ok. It has a bracket that screws into it and I had to slightly resposition the heatsink/fan so I thought I might have to clean it off and the chip to reapply some thermal paste, but temps are alright. I think the way this mounts is more stable than the Rev 1.0 model, but it is somewhat more of a pain to mount. I idle in the lower to mid 30s, and under heavy load goes into the mid 60s. I'm using Intel Burn Test for the heavy load which does maximise all 4 cores at 100 percent. The chip is rated up to 71.4C so I'm good there. These are worst case scenerios too, when I was playing L4D2 and Far Cry 2 (stock settings) my temps were only hitting the mid 40s on all of the cores. So the Arctic 7 Freezer Pro still works great as a budget cooler, but if you want to do crazy overclocks you might want a little more. I've been able to undervolt the chip too on my overclock while keeping things stable, so that is helping to keep the heat down as well. Somewhat strange going from a dual core I had to overvolt to hit 2.9 ghz to a quad core I can undervolt and hit 3.4 ghz stable, but I'll take it! You were a warrior e2160, but it is time for a new chip to shine!

Now it will be time to stretch my GTX 260 now that I have the CPU which can handle it.
Hey, did you follow any guides when overclocking? Got some links? I want to overclock my Q9550 on my Gigabyte EP45-UD3P soon. Never OC'd before so kinda scared :( I just want to do it for emulators really. Don't think it would make much of a difference for my regular games or day-to-day. I'm using an OCZ Gladiator heatsink.

Red

Nobby said:
I just watched a couple youtube videos on 1366 installs and it doesn't seem like there is that much resistance when dropping the bracket bar down. I don't exactly remember from when I put mine together, but I think I can vaguely recall the hinge of the bracket part going slightly out of alignment and making it more difficult to put the latch down, but everything was okay once I set the hinge correctly. There's a chance I could be confusing this with some other build I've done so not positive if that'll change anything.
The bar is literally arched because of the stress. I have a feeling I fucked it up, today hasn't been good to me at all.

Top Bottom