• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

So I have a question. I got a ati 5870 card but I have no idea what type of pc to build around it.

I have a budget of $1500cdn to get everyhing else including Case, monitor,motherboard ram etc

what would you guys build?

kmfdmpig

Kabuki Waq said:
So I have a question. I got a ati 5870 card but I have no idea what type of pc to build around it.

I have a budget of $1500cdn to get everyhing else including Case, monitor,motherboard ram etc

Lots of good cases for around $100-150 US, so take your pick.

The Core i5 would be a good match.

If you go with a core i5 then you'll need a 1156 motherboard. What you get will depend on how much (it at all) you plan on overclocking and brand preference. There's some concern (mentioned earlier in this thread) that most motherboards other EVGA ones may have some problems with overclocking (although the proof of that has only been with extreme examples).

Montitor will depend on size, but lots of good choices between $160 - 260 US.

Ram - 4 GB should be enough unless you're planning on doing lots of multitasking.

For your budget you may be able to sneak in an SSD to use for your OS / APPs. That would dramatically reduce loading, but would jack up your price by $200 US or so.

Crunched said:
Amazon had them for $244 with free shipping last I checked. Had one ordered from them but it was out of stock for nearly a month, so I decided to just buy it for a little more somewhere else (ended up paying $260).

SuperEnemyCrab said:
I posted a link earlier in the thread when newegg had them for $214 the day before thanksgiving. Sold out in about 3 hours. I got one. :D

SleazyC said:
Newegg had them for $214 with 10% Bing cashback. Was able to snag two for around $340.

Thanks. Bought it off the ebay, got it for 207.5$. If the best price on Black Friday was ~195$, am happy with this deal.

What bracket do you use to mount it in a 3.5inch bay? I don't want to end up with something where the screw holes don't align.

birdchili

sigh...

carefully put my pc together, double-checked everything, plugged it in, flipped on the power.

...and the lights went out.

fuse blown. i've triple-checked for shorts or obvious problems, but can't find anything.

thoughts? i run a lot more than just this pc on this circuit, but even with everything else off, the fuse blows. pc problem? short somewhere? how do i go about troubleshooting something like this?

edit: its' a 15amp fuse. the pc is an i5 with an hd5850, one sata hd, and one optical drive. power supply is a seasonic x-650.

Tagg7

Banned
I've got a budget of about $800 CAD to make a PC. I really like the look of Intel's Core i5/i7 quad processors - if I get one of these high performance processors, will I still be able to afford everything else I need?

nubbe

birdchili said:
sigh...

carefully put my pc together, double-checked everything, plugged it in, flipped on the power.

...and the lights went out.

fuse blown. i've triple-checked for shorts or obvious problems, but can't find anything.

thoughts? i run a lot more than just this pc on this circuit, but even with everything else off, the fuse blows. pc problem? short somewhere? how do i go about troubleshooting something like this?

edit: its' a 15amp fuse. the pc is an i5 with an hd5850, one sata hd, and one optical drive. power supply is a seasonic x-650.
One guess is that the motherboard is being short circuited by a screw, probably by a golden backplate screw.

kmfdmpig

Tagg7 said:
I've got a budget of about $800 CAD to make a PC. I really like the look of Intel's Core i5/i7 quad processors - if I get one of these high performance processors, will I still be able to afford everything else I need?
I would think it would be tight if you needed a monitor, but if you have a monitor you should be OK for an i5 750 system, a mid range motherboard, 4GB or Ram, a mid-range video card (maybe a 5770 or a N260) and hard drive, case and PSU.

birdchili

nubbe said:
One guess is that the motherboard is being short circuited by a screw, probably by a golden backplate screw.
first thing i thought of. there was one riser that wasn't all the way into the side of the case, and it was pushing up on the board from behind a bit, but it was lined-up with the hole properly and nothing was obviously shorting there.

i've re-seated the motherboard, but i'm concerned to try powering-up again if i have a bad ps. blowing a 15amp fuse seems like something i shouldn't be doing so easily.

edit: stupid short. found it - someone put too-long-screws into the ps.

evlcookie said:
They all use the same reference board, the only difference between the brands is the logo, if it comes with dirt 2 and warranty.

@MWS Natural. Hows that SSD going, I'm guessing it's an OS drive? I have had one for a few months, waiting for a new PC build. I still have it sitting in it's original box :lol . I fail

It's great, really takes a good PC to the next level. For my own next build I plan to raid 0 four of the OCZ 30GB's or raid 0 two of the Intel 80GB's.

will newegg do any combo deals again? right now buying each component separately costs too much and i wanna start building my PC got dang it. (already bought case and PSU)

EphemeralDream said:
So I got this rig:
So right now I'm looking for a card about $40-$50. I really don't have the money or time to be playing games so aside from a few I have lying around, I was never planning on building a top-of-the line machine. For roughly that price point, what's my best option?

Anyone have an answer for this? It's coupled with a Phenom X2 550 and Gigabyte M770T motherboard.

Other thing is, I was putting together the motherboard and I switched the orientation of the heatsink a few times before I got it correctly and some of the thermal paste had already got onto the CPU. Do I need to reapply or am I fine?

Firestorm

Lkr

Any advice for a good, but cheap PSU?
Phenom II X3 720 BE
ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO
GSkill 4GB DDR3-1333(2gb x 2)
GeForce GTS 250
3x 250GB 7200rpm hard drives

Dash

kmfdmpig said:

If you go with a core i5 then you'll need a 1156 motherboard. What you get will depend on how much (it at all) you plan on overclocking and brand preference. There's some concern (mentioned earlier in this thread) that most motherboards other EVGA ones may have some problems with overclocking (although the proof of that has only been with extreme examples).

Ram - 4 GB should be enough unless you're planning on doing lots of multitasking.

For your budget you may be able to sneak in an SSD to use for your OS / APPs. That would dramatically reduce loading, but would jack up your price by $200 US or so.

Actually there have been a few reports on sockets burning on mild OC's, and even one 1156 socket that wasn't OCed.

Tagg7 said:

No, go the Phenom ii route instead.

Shambles

Tagg7 said:

Depends if you already have a monitor laying around. Having other parts you can re-use such as a case, PSU, or memory can expand your options greatly as well.

dionysus

Yaldog
So I just got my 80GB ssd in and I am planning on putting my OS and a few select games and programs on the SSD and keeping most of my collection on my other HDDs. Is there any way to split up Steam games or must they all go in the same location?

I went dual monitor a couple weeks ago and while I largely love the extra real estate, there is one issue that's been bothering me. Specifically, every time I boot into windows or exist out of a game, I have to resize both screens to get rid of black bars that are framing my 1920x1080 monitor.

The red area represents the black box. It goes all around the monitor..
jyfcz4crz802ssn8g9vr.jpg

Some background info..

Monitor 1: LG W2353V Flatron 1920x1080 monitor 2ms. response time (the on that's getting the black bars) -connected via HDMI/DVI adapter
Monitor 2: Samsung Syncmaster 204B running at 1200x1600 (no problems here) -connected via dvi

GPU: 2x 4850 running in crossfire with most current driver installed 9.11
CPU: Intel E8400 C2D at stock
Memory 4 gig DDR2- 800 (4x 1GB stick)

I don't think the crossfire is causing it as I had the same problem with one 4850.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated as this is starting to annoy me big time.

Tagg7

Banned
Shambles said:
Depends if you already have a monitor laying around. Having other parts you can re-use such as a case, PSU, or memory can expand your options greatly as well.
Thanks for the replies, all. I do already have a monitor; I'm mainly trying to replace my crappy old PC. My main problem is finding an affordable motherboard that's compatible with the Core i5.

Seriously considering going with an AMD quad core chip as there doesn't seem to be a very big difference between the two. In any case, I'll probably wait until Boxing Day before making a purchase.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Gully State said:
Any suggestions would be much appreciated as this is starting to annoy me big time.
Apparently it is a driver issue with that series of cards. Found this on the internets:

open up catalyst go to
click on graphics (if on 9.10 or else go to the next step)
click on desktops and displays
click on your monitor its in the please select display (click the little triangle inside its upper right) and click configure
go to scaling options tab and make it 0%
click apply and ok and your done.

I actually figured this out before because I just ordered the LG W2353V and plan on getting a 5850 for my new PC. In my research I heard of the issue and found the answer ahead of time. ^_^

Gully State said:
I went dual monitor a couple weeks ago and while I largely love the extra real estate, there is one issue that's been bothering me. Specifically, every time I boot into windows or exist out of a game, I have to resize both screens to get rid of black bars that are framing my 1920x1080 monitor.

jyfcz4crz802ssn8g9vr.jpg

Some background info..

Monitor 1: LG W2353V Flatron 1920x1080 monitor 2ms. response time (the on that's getting the black bars) -connected via HDMI/DVI adapter
Monitor 2: Samsung Syncmaster 204B running at 1200x1600 (no problems here) -connected via dvi

I don't think the crossfire is causing it as I had the same problem with one 4850.

I don't think you can do separate resolutions while in crossfire. I'm not sure since with my sli I know I can't do sli and display a second monitor at all. Are you using the CCC or just plain old display properties?

Ifrit

So, I just bought an Asus 23 inch LCD monitor (this one), does anyone know some good recommendations on adapters/cables that would let me play on my PS2 and my Wii on it? It'd be really helpful if anyone could give me a link from amazon or other site that accepts international credit cards

Ifrit said:
So, I just bought an Asus 23 inch LCD monitor, does anyone know some good recommendations on adapters/cables that would let me play on my PS2 and my Wii on it? It'd be really helpful if anyone could give me a link from amazon or other site that accepts international credit cards

What kind of connections does it have?

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I don't think you can do separate resolutions while in crossfire. I'm not sure since with my sli I know I can't do sli and display a second monitor at all. Are you using the CCC or just plain old display properties?

I think I'm going through display properties. Now that I think about it, what I think is happening is that everytime I boot up or exit out of a game, the resolutions settings are defaulting to crossfire and I'm changing them through windows. As for your question of doing separate resolutions on crossfire, yes it works. However, you can't OC your videocard otherwise you'll crash your PC. Kinda sucks since I've had to dial everything back to stock.

Dice said:
Apparently it is a driver issue with that series of cards. Found this on the internets:

I actually figured this out before because I just ordered the LG W2353V and plan on getting a 5850 for my new PC. In my research I heard of the issue and found the answer ahead of time. ^_^

Thanks for the suggestion Dice, it worked in that the image now scaled the whole monitor. However the image is a little on the blurry side and not as clear...I'll tinker with it a little bit more. I appreciate the help...

Ifrit

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
What kind of connections does it have?

HDMI, 24-Pin DVI-D and 15-Pin D-Sub, acording to the product features, the monitor hasn't arrived yet. My PS2 and Wii both have component cables

Wraith

SundaySounds said:
So, I'm going to be selling my GTX 260 core 216 SC for $200, and I found a Radeon HD 4890 on newegg for 200.

I'm just worried about:
A)I've read that it performs better, I just wanted to confirm it with you guys.
and
B)Is there a better choice for an ATI card for $200? I plan on Cross-firing in the future.

Here's the card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131167&cm_re=4890-_-14-131-167-_-Product

$20 mail in rebate, too.

4890s have consistently been hitting around the $150 price point for a while now. I'd bide my time and check SlickDeals daily unless you really need the card this minute.

Firestorm

Kabuki Waq said:

Sorry I couldn't get you a build this week. NCIX's sale kinda blows right now. Since you have a fairly high budget, I'll try and grab you something a bit over the basic builds I usually do.

This case + PSU combo goes for $220 sometimes and I'm a fan of it: http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=39441&vpn=CP850-P183&manufacture=Bundle Deals

This motherboard is $200:
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=46488&vpn=GA-P55A-UD4P&manufacture=Gigabyte

The Intel i5 at $205 (price match it) should be enough if you're gaming and not doing photoshop/video:
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=42499&vpn=BX80605I5750&manufacture=Intel

4GB of DDR Memory goes from $90 - $100 these days. Just grab a good brand like Corsair, G.Skill, OCZ, Kingston, etc.:
http://www.ncix.com/products/index....00CL9D-4GBNQ&manufacture=G.Skill&promoid=1030

This Samsung is a nice drive that can be PMed to $26:
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=42349&vpn=SH-S223L/BEBS-OEM&manufacture=Samsung

The Samsung F3s seem impossible to get in Canada, so grab a Western Digital 640GB or 1TB Caviar Black for $70 or $100 depending on the size:
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=31000&vpn=WD1001FALS&manufacture=Western Digital WD&promoid=1030

That's about $850 + tax + shipping. For monitor, this Dell is currently on sale for $230:
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/pro....aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=bsd&cs=cabsdt1&sku=320-8325

Shambles

Tagg7 said:
Thanks for the replies, all. I do already have a monitor; I'm mainly trying to replace my crappy old PC. My main problem is finding an affordable motherboard that's compatible with the Core i5.

Seriously considering going with an AMD quad core chip as there doesn't seem to be a very big difference between the two. In any case, I'll probably wait until Boxing Day before making a purchase.

With an existing monitor and Case you can pull off an i5 system for 800$ USD with ease.
Take PCPer's 1000$ system, axe the soundcard, drop the i7 to an i5 750 and you're there. Of course if you need to purchase an OS that will again complicate things.

Edit: Newegg has an openbox P55-GD65 for sale if you're brave enough to roll the dice

Druz

kmfdmpig said:

He has a budget of 1.5k, a 5870.. and you're suggesting an 1156 board? No. Nope.

Shambles

Druz said:
He has a budget of 1.5k, a 5870.. and you're suggesting an 1156 board? No. Nope.

Agreed. Even at 1500$ you should still automatically think i7 920.

And man do those 16:9 monitors out there piss me off.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Shambles said:

Curious as to why they piss you off? Im on a 16:10 monitor so i wouldnt know. 16:9 would be more friendlier with consoles would it not? or any content overall really.

Metalic Sand said:
Curious as to why they piss you off? Im on a 16:10 monitor so i wouldnt know. 16:9 would be more friendlier with consoles would it not? or any content overall really.

Annoying to read documents on them since the viewing area is shorter.

Firestorm

Shambles said:
Agreed. Even at 1500$ you should still automatically think i7 920.

And what does the i7 920 offer over the i5 750 for someone who is only playing games and not dealing with Photoshop or Premier?

And what does it offer over the i7 860, period?

Shambles

Metalic Sand said:

Just a pet peeve that they are sold like 16:9 is a feature when really it's far less usable workspace but in order to buy a monitor with a sensible resolution you have to end up paying 50% more.

Firestorm said:
And what does the i7 920 offer over the i5 750 for someone who is only playing games and not dealing with Photoshop or Premier?

A more future resistant (I won't say proof) socket.

Gully State said:

jyfcz4crz802ssn8g9vr.jpg

Some background info..

I actually have a similar problem. I have an acer p235H and a 5770.

When displaying at 1080p (and only 1080p afaik) it appears that I'm zoomed into the desktop as if there were overscan or something. The edges of the display are all apparently hidden by the bezel so that the taskbar is not visible, etc.

This can be fixed by going into the drivers by adjusting the scaling. However that leaves the text ever so slightly blurry so clearly it isn't quite displaying at the native rez.

However if I then turn off the monitor and turn it back on, then there will be black bands around the screen. Turning off the scaling will then leave the monitor displaying in 1080p correctly.

However if the power is cycled again the problem reappears. If the scaling is left active then power can be cycled any number of times and nothing will change. Same if I go to 1680x1050.

So basically I can do anything I want here but have my monitor display in its native resolution without fucking around with settings every time I reawaken my monitor.

Is this the same driver issue that Dice is pointing to?

Firestorm

Shambles said:
Just a pet peeve that they are sold like 16:9 is a feature when really it's far less usable workspace but in order to buy a monitor with a sensible resolution you have to end up paying 50% more.

A more future resistant (I won't say proof) socket.
24" really isn't that much more expensive. I went for a 23" 1080 monitor because I want to eventually clone my desktop. Not to mention the 10% reduction in framerate isn't half bad.

Isn't 1366 going to be for really high end workstation / enthusiast processors anyway? If they're discontinuing the i7 920 and future processors won't be in the same price range, what's the point of using it?

CoLaN

Firestorm said:

Yea, the i5 750 is the better choice (price-performance wise), hyperthreading has nothing to do with games. If you buy this and the 5870 you are set for the next 3 years (minimum). And after 3 years you are gonna change your motherboard too, so it's not like you should buy an i7 920 in perspective to use the motherboard again for an i9. Future proof in a 3-4 years perspective makes no sense, since you will want to change all the parts - new sockets comes out at a fast pace.

Really, those i5 are MONSTERS, and togheter with a 5870 makes it for a system that you will not change any time soon.

Dash

Firestorm said:
Sorry I couldn't get you a build this week. NCIX's sale kinda blows right now. Since you have a fairly high budget, I'll try and grab you something a bit over the basic builds I usually do.

This case + PSU combo goes for $220 sometimes and I'm a fan of it: http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=39441&vpn=CP850-P183&manufacture=Bundle Deals

This motherboard is $200:
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=46488&vpn=GA-P55A-UD4P&manufacture=Gigabyte

The Intel i5 at $205 (price match it) should be enough if you're gaming and not doing photoshop/video:
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=42499&vpn=BX80605I5750&manufacture=Intel

4GB of DDR Memory goes from $90 - $100 these days. Just grab a good brand like Corsair, G.Skill, OCZ, Kingston, etc.:
http://www.ncix.com/products/index....00CL9D-4GBNQ&manufacture=G.Skill&promoid=1030

This Samsung is a nice drive that can be PMed to $26:
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=42349&vpn=SH-S223L/BEBS-OEM&manufacture=Samsung

The Samsung F3s seem impossible to get in Canada, so grab a Western Digital 640GB or 1TB Caviar Black for $70 or $100 depending on the size:
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=31000&vpn=WD1001FALS&manufacture=Western Digital WD&promoid=1030

That's about $850 + tax + shipping. For monitor, this Dell is currently on sale for $230:
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/pro....aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=bsd&cs=cabsdt1&sku=320-8325

Replace the motherboard with an EVGA P55 SLI for $20 more if you plan to overclock. Then you won't have to worry about burning your processor.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Firestorm said:
Isn't 1366 going to be for really high end workstation / enthusiast processors anyway? If they're discontinuing the i7 920 and future processors won't be in the same price range, what's the point of using it?

His talking about the upcoming 6 core 32nm CPUs which *should* work in 1366 boards but will not work in 1156 boards, Which is why it's somewhat more "future" proof.

Druz

Firestorm said:
24" really isn't that much more expensive. I went for a 23" 1080 monitor because I want to eventually clone my desktop. Not to mention the 10% reduction in framerate isn't half bad.

It's certainly being marketed that way. I own an i7 860, but if I had 1.5k to spend I'd have gone for the slightly more expensive motherboard 1366 socket + triple channel RAM. It also supports 2 x16 video cards for sli and crossfire and anything else splits the bandwidth into x8 x8. The socket will be around longer so upgrading won't be very painful.

The i5/i7 860 are fantastic the only problem I'm seeing besides future upgrades is that the Foxconn sockets are burning the fuck up which makes me a worrying murray. By the time you buy a 1136 mobo the manufacturers may have switch over to someone else

Either way, if you're not gonna fill out your budget then sure get a lot of bang for your buck with the i5.

Druz said:
It's certainly being marketed that way. I own an i7 860, but if I had 1.5k to spend I'd have gone for the slightly more expensive motherboard 1366 socket + triple channel RAM. It also supports 2 x16 video cards for sli and crossfire and anything else splits the bandwidth into x8 x8. The socket will be around longer so upgrading won't be very painful.

The i5/i7 860 are fantastic the only problem I'm seeing besides future upgrades is that the Foxconn sockets are burning the fuck up which makes me a worrying murray. By the time you buy a 1136 mobo the manufacturers may have switch over to someone else

Either way, if you're not gonna fill out your budget then sure get a lot of bang for your buck with the i5.

do games even take advantage of tri channel RAM and the i7 hyper threading?

lowlylowlycook said:
I actually have a similar problem. I have an acer p235H and a 5770.

When displaying at 1080p (and only 1080p afaik) it appears that I'm zoomed into the desktop as if there were overscan or something. The edges of the display are all apparently hidden by the bezel so that the taskbar is not visible, etc.

This can be fixed by going into the drivers by adjusting the scaling. However that leaves the text ever so slightly blurry so clearly it isn't quite displaying at the native rez.

However if I then turn off the monitor and turn it back on, then there will be black bands around the screen. Turning off the scaling will then leave the monitor displaying in 1080p correctly.

However if the power is cycled again the problem reappears. If the scaling is left active then power can be cycled any number of times and nothing will change. Same if I go to 1680x1050.

So basically I can do anything I want here but have my monitor display in its native resolution without fucking around with settings every time I reawaken my monitor.

Is this the same driver issue that Dice is pointing to?

absolutely..different symptoms but I'm guessing same driver issues since they're similar...for me I fixed it by doing what he had suggested. On top of that..under the attributes tab for your target monitor, make sure enable GPU scaling and Maintain aspect ratio are both checked.. Then go to scaling options, scale to 0 and also check "Use the scaling values instead of the customized setting when desktop resolution does not match your DFP resolution" Apply all that and voila..should be fixed.

Druz

evil solrac v3.0 said:
do games even take advantage of tri channel RAM and the i7 hyper threading?

some will take advantage of the hyper threading but not to the maximum extent. Mostly for multitasking. Meanwhile the tri channel ram should be fantastic for anything unless I'm mistaken.

Top Bottom