• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

edible_candle said:
Settled on most of the parts for my new desktop:

CPU: Intel i5 750
Mobo: ASUS P7P55D LE
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB
Graphics: XFX Radeon 5770
Power: Antec Neo Eco 520W
Case: Antec Nine Hundred
Harddrive: Samsung Spinpoint F3
Disc Drive: Lite-On DVD Burner

Total (after bing cashback and rebates): 764.62

Any suggestions for changes or improvements?

Looks great to me.

NG28 said:
Which is better, a Radeon 3850 or 9800GT? I was looking at the specs and I don't know what they mean, it seemed as if both had some things better than the other.

http://www.cputopia.com/dell-500w-dell-dimension-5100-e310-e510.html
Will this psu be able to handle either of these? I got something like this awhile back as a cheap replacement for old cpu and want to know if it would work.

That PSU is rated to supply 300 watts on it's 12V rail, so unless you have some crazy ass CPU, any mid-highish range videocard should work just fine. It however doesn't have a PCI-E 6 pin power adapter (unless I'm blind) so you will either want to pick up a 2 molex to 1 6 pin PCI-E power adapter (these things come with many videocards) or pick up a new PSU altogether.

As for the card comparison, the 9800GT outperforms the radeon 3850, although you should be able to find a 4850 for around the same price which will outperform the three.

Kite

For Christmas I received a lot of Walmart gift cards, however what I really need atm is a new gaming computer. So I was wondering if it was viable to get one of Walmart's desktops for almost free and spend a few hundred swapping out the power supply and graphics card and get a nice rig. It seems like their processors are powerful enough and ram is plentiful. The two I'm looking at are this Acer and this HP.

I would much rather build my own computer, but money is tight and these Walmart gift cards are just gonna sit there and money is tight.. thanks for any help

luiztfc

A friend of mine will buy an HD 5870 in the US for me. He'll stay in Miami and as I want to spare him the hardwork of searching the videocard, do you guys know what are the stores that sell it?

The only I know so far is CompUSA.

Thanks

NG28

TouchMyBox said:
That PSU is rated to supply 300 watts on it's 12V rail, so unless you have some crazy ass CPU, any mid-highish range videocard should work just fine. It however doesn't have a PCI-E 6 pin power adapter (unless I'm blind) so you will either want to pick up a 2 molex to 1 6 pin PCI-E power adapter (these things come with many videocards) or pick up a new PSU altogether.

As for the card comparison, the 9800GT outperforms the radeon 3850, although you should be able to find a 4850 for around the same price which will outperform the three.

Thanks for the help. I was looking at a 4850 but was worried about the psu and my case being able to vent properly. I'll probably get the 4850 though as it isn't much more than the other two.

Also, what does a PCI-E 6 pin power adapter do exactly?

Wallach

NG28 said:
Thanks for the help. I was looking at a 4850 but was worried about the psu and my case being able to vent properly. I'll probably get the 4850 though as it isn't much more than the other two.

Also, what does a PCI-E 6 pin power adapter do exactly?

The card needs to be plugged directly into the power supply (because it has power demands higher than it can draw from the PCI-E port itself). So it needs a 6-pin power connection from the PSU.

Some PSUs do not have any extra 6-pin connections at all, but you can use a molex 6-pin adapter (molex connections are the big fat 4-pin connections like the one on most HDDs) to power it:

72.2MOLEX-PCIe.gif

naib

Annihilator said:
Looks nice. I love the fact that windows gives a 5.9 to just about everyones hard drive. You think even if people have the same type of drive that it might change the score by .1 from time to time but it doesn't.
Yeah, that irks me. Well, the 7.9 ceiling is going to change. Maybe they're assuming HD tech is going to advance faster?

Went out and bought a second monitor today. This rig keeps getting more expensive. :D

Quick question about Crossfire. My mobo and PSU are both XF ready. Went cheap(er) with the 5770 figuring they'd be cheap soon and it would be comparable to some of the more expensive cards. Haven't really looked at too many benchmarks. Is my thinking flawed? I remember the old SLI voodoo setups only gave you a few extra frames, but it looks like you get way more gain now.

Minsc

Gold Member
naib said:
Yeah, that irks me. Well, the 7.9 ceiling is going to change. Maybe they're assuming HD tech is going to advance faster?

Went out and bought a second monitor today. This rig keeps getting more expensive. :D

I think it has to do with the fact a normal HDD can't even come close to the speeds of a SSD, so any standard HDD will pale at things like a read/writing 4K data test.

naib

Minsc said:
I think it has to do with the fact a normal HDD can't even come close to the speeds of a SSD, so any standard HDD will pale at things like a read/writing 4K data test.
Yeah, that makes sense. That occurred to me, but it is still weird that there's little variance on the HDDs.

NG28

Wallach said:
The card needs to be plugged directly into the power supply (because it has power demands higher than it can draw from the PCI-E port itself). So it needs a 6-pin power connection from the PSU.

Some PSUs do not have any extra 6-pin connections at all, but you can use a molex 6-pin adapter (molex connections are the big fat 4-pin connections like the one on most HDDs) to power it

I understand now, thanks.

im a bit shocked at how expensive the new ATI cards are- even the lower sku's. i can't find any with 2gb of 256bit gddr5 either. my 4870 has (dunno what bit) 2gb gddr5... i was thinking about upgrading but nevermind. =\

Grayman

Hazaro said:
Sounds like your card is going out because of the second monitor issue. Your PSU is still fine. (In terms of wattage/quality)

Clean off the dust with air from the card (and the rear ports) clear your drivers and update to 185.85
Also make sure all your connections are secure.

From my experience with nVidia drivers (which have been fine except that tf2 seems to like to crash). These have not given my any problems at all.

What kind of crashing are you getting? Hard reboot? Blue Screen -> restart?
I cleaned the dust out of the case with special attention to the vents on the side of the card and the fan(although that is a narrow space so I could not see it). A thin layer was left on the circuit board portion card itself though that the I could not get off with the vacuum I had.

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
im a bit shocked at how expensive the new ATI cards are- even the lower sku's. i can't find any with 2gb of 256bit gddr5 either. my 4870 has (dunno what bit) 2gb gddr5... i was thinking about upgrading but nevermind. =\

Yeah, with the graphics shortage the prices on pretty much all cards are higher than they probably should be. Since you'd have to pay a premium right now, you're probably best off waiting for Fermi to ship before you make a purchasing decision since the 4870 (which has a 256bit memory interface, btw) is still a very nice chip. I tend to upgrade my card every other generation. For me, there's not enough of a jump to justify the cost of upgrading every generation.

Minsc

Gold Member
Commanche Raisin Toast said:

The lower end cards are ~$140, and the 2gb of ram is irrelevant in all benchmarks except for maybe one game right now. Of course, 2gb is better than 1gb, but performance wise, there's really no difference, unless you game at 2540x1600 w/ AA.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Kite said:
For Christmas I received a lot of Walmart gift cards, however what I really need atm is a new gaming computer. So I was wondering if it was viable to get one of Walmart's desktops for almost free and spend a few hundred swapping out the power supply and graphics card and get a nice rig. It seems like their processors are powerful enough and ram is plentiful. The two I'm looking at are this Acer and this HP.

I would much rather build my own computer, but money is tight and these Walmart gift cards are just gonna sit there and money is tight.. thanks for any help
I'd toss those cards on eBay and get $85-$90 or so per $100 from them.

Grayman said:
I cleaned the dust out of the case with special attention to the vents on the side of the card and the fan(although that is a narrow space so I could not see it). A thin layer was left on the circuit board portion card itself though that the I could not get off with the vacuum I had.
Check your connections (physically make sure they are good instead of just looking), after that if you still have troubles I'd guess your GPU is going, driver problems (I suggest trying 185.85), or even perhaps system memory (Run memtest for this).

Animal

Banned
Well here is my baby:

IMG_1025.jpg

She's running at 3.8Ghz (memory at ~1490Mhz) stable at max temps in the high 70 degrees Celsius. She idles at 35 degrees Celsius. She runs Crysis at full tilt (multi-sampling and shit like that is kept at a reasonable 2x or 4x) between 40 at 60 fps at 1920x1080 resolution.

If you're curious what she's made of and how much, see this post from a while back.

Thanks again to everyone in this thread and especially FireStorm for helping me choose the right parts at the right price.

Mobo:MA785GT-UD3H AMD 785G + SB710 DDR3 1666MHz
CPU:Athlon x2 250

im still havent decided yet for Ram dont need Graphic card etc.which ddr3 ram do you suggest? Cheap ofc :D

Anyone know if this is a good buy? I am starting from scratch and need to pick my first card (along with a case/motherboard and everything else). I have been browsing, and this is set at $135.00 on amazon for the 9800GTX.

Just looking for some other good supplies to go with it for as cheap as I can go for a (not super amazingly awesome) but still pretty badass PC.

would like to run crysis on mostly high settings.

:D

Grayman

Hazaro said:
I'd toss those cards on eBay and get $85-$90 or so per $100 from them.

Check your connections (physically make sure they are good instead of just looking), after that if you still have troubles I'd guess your GPU is going, driver problems (I suggest trying 185.85), or even perhaps system memory (Run memtest for this).
No problems yet knock on wood. I have a feeling this is just something that will come and go as long as I have the computer. If I get a second monitor problem I'll do the driver changes, I already have them and sweeper downloaded. I've ran memtest before but will do it again soon.

Fixed1979

After continuing to struggle with my Antec 900 case I had enough and finally went and purchased one of these:
41960_l.jpg

I want to get a new P/S eventually, I'm wondering if I should grab one before I set up the new case or if if the power cable connections are universal so I can just replace the power supply at some point down the road and plug the power cables from my Zalman into say a Corsair?

Spy

New Build

Intel Core i5-670 Clarkdale 3.4GHZ LGA1156 73W Quad-Core Processor
(January Release Date)

G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231318

XFX HD-577X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16814150462

SeaSonic 650W 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

ASUS Maximus III Formula LGA 1156 Intel P55 Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131482

yacobod

Banned
Animal said:
Well here is my baby:

She's running at 3.8Ghz (memory at ~1490Mhz) stable at max temps in the high 70 degrees Celsius. She idles at 35 degrees Celsius. She runs Crysis at full tilt (multi-sampling and shit like that is kept at a reasonable 2x or 4x) between 40 at 60 fps at 1920x1080 resolution.

If you're curious what she's made of and how much, see this post from a while back.

Thanks again to everyone in this thread and especially FireStorm for helping me choose the right parts at the right price.

i built like the exact system as you in late march/early april, like the exact same

looks like they did a better job with cable management then i did tho

Minsc

Gold Member
Spy said:
I want to build a semi-budget PC that can run everything at max settings (1680x1050). How do you think this build would do?

Intel Core i3-540 Clarkdale 3.0GHZ LGA1156 73W Dual-Core Processor
(January 7th Release Date)

XFX GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150439

ASUS P7P55D-E LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131620

I realize I'm spending quite a bit on a power supply that's not necessary for a GTS 250 but I'm getting it solely for the reason of future upgrades.

Have there been benches for the i3-540 yet? I'd be curious to see how games which are creeping towards using 4 cores run on it.

chixdiggit

Ordered half my parts from Amazon and the other half from New Egg on Christmas day. Everything from Amazon is arriving today while the stuff from New Egg is slated to arrive 1-04-10. Very disappointed in New Eggs "3 day shipping". If I would have known I would have ordered everything from Amazon.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
chixdiggit said:
Ordered half my parts from Amazon and the other half from New Egg on Christmas day. Everything from Amazon is arriving today while the stuff from New Egg is slated to arrive 1-04-10. Very disappointed in New Eggs "3 day shipping". If I would have known I would have ordered everything from Amazon.
You ordered on Christmas, no big surprise there.
Did you choose standard shipping or Free Super Saving for Amazon?

chixdiggit

Hazaro said:
You ordered on Christmas, no big surprise there.
Did you choose standard shipping or Free Super Saving for Amazon?

At the very latest it should have arrived Thursday counting all the Holidays.

I am a Amazon Prime member so it's two day shipping. So I was thinking three day shipping from New Egg would mean I get it on Wednesday.

Sorry for the bitching, I'm just excited to get my stuff.

Spy said:
I want to build a semi-budget PC that can run everything at max settings (1680x1050). How do you think this build would do?

I realize I'm spending quite a bit on a power supply that's not necessary for a GTS 250 but I'm getting it solely for the reason of future upgrades.

While that is a nice power supply, you're really paying a premium for the 80 plus gold certification. I just bought a corsair TX750 which is a great power supply (although not modular) for $69 after MIR. I'd say go find yourself a deal like that and then upgrade to a core i5 750 as I doubt the core i3 will have serious gaming muscle in games which demand quad core. Also for close to $160, that GTS 250 looks hella unattractive when you can buy a superior in every regard radeon 5770 for the same price.

hadar

Heya, first time posting here so be gentle :p
Looking to upgrade my old (read:very) x1600pro and was suggested either anything HD 4670 or an Asus ENGT240, anyone know about these? Open to any suggestions withing any budget-line.

hadar said:
Heya, first time posting here so be gentle :p
Looking to upgrade my old (read:very) x1600pro and was suggested either anything HD 4670 or an Asus ENGT240, anyone know about these? Open to any suggestions withing any budget-line.

They're pretty close in performance with the nVidia part having a slight edge. Don't expect anything great from either though. What kind of power supply and cpu are you dealing with?

Ardorx

Banned
Sup PC elite: My dad is looking to build a PC which is why I'm going to use that opportunity to upgrade from the 8600GT I have (and let him use that). Which card do you guys recommend? I'm really just looking for a step above the 8600 and one that'll run on a 300W PSU (one day I'll upgrade it).

JudgeN

Spy said:

If it were me I would drop that over priced power supply and get this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371021&Tpk=true power 650

Then you can put more money into your GPU, upgrade it to 4890. A GeForce GTS 250 is not going to be enough to new releases at max settings at 1680x1050/60 FPS/AA.

As far as the processor goes, I just did a search and couldn't find any benches but it seems that the I3 our dual-core processors. My personal opinion is that dual-core done for in terms of gaming, and when they are first released you will be paying premium. See if you can save some more money for a I5-750 and a nice overclocking fan.

Ardorx said:
Sup PC elite: My dad is looking to build a PC which is why I'm going to use that opportunity to upgrade from the 8600GT I have (and let him use that). Which card do you guys recommend? I'm really just looking for a step above the 8600 and one that'll run on a 300W PSU (one day I'll upgrade it).

When you say 300W, do you mean shady looking grey psu without a name claiming "300 watts" or does it seem actually legit? That's definitely going to be a limiting factor, but since you're keen on upgrading it, perhaps try getting a radeon 5770 since it has fairly mean gaming performance while using up less power than other chips in it's category. If it keeps on locking up, then you'll know it's time to shill out for a new PSU. Hell this is cheap enough as it is. Just go pick both those up and game on. :D

Ardorx

Banned
TouchMyBox said:
When you say 300W, do you mean shady looking grey psu without a name claiming "300 watts" or does it seem actually legit? That's definitely going to be a limiting factor, but since you're keen on upgrading it, perhaps try getting a radeon 5770 since it has fairly mean gaming performance while using up less power than other chips in it's category. If it keeps on locking up, then you'll know it's time to shill out for a new PSU. Hell this is cheap enough as it is. Just go pick both those up and game on. :D

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856167036

This is the case + PSU (I got a barebones kit because Ive never built a PC before).

I'm not looking to do any crazy Crysis-on-max gaming, so if that PSU will be an issue which do you recommend that wont kill me financially? Keep in mind I have to budget for a wave of Q1 games.

I was looking at the radeon 4650, would that be a nice boost over the 8600GT?

Ardorx said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856167036

This is the case + PSU (I got a barebones kit because Ive never built a PC before).

I'm not looking to do any crazy Crysis-on-max gaming, so if that PSU will be an issue which do you recommend that wont kill me financially? Keep in mind I have to budget for a wave of Q1 games.

I was looking at the radeon 4650, would that be a nice boost over the 8600GT?

What's your budget? I wouldn't recommend a 4650 to anyone who even knows what steam or videogames in general are. You MIGHT be able to get away with using that power supply with a 5770, if it can actually deliver that much power (remember, PSUs degrade over the years) and if you have a lowish powered cpu. But yeah, you'd want to get rid of that thing as soon as possible regardless. If you can afford it, go for this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102864&cm_re=5770-_-14-102-864-_-Product and this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003&Tpk=corsair%20450w

If you're looking to spend a bit less, go with this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814141103&cm_re=4850-_-14-141-103-_-Product

Unfortunately it looks like the radeon 4xxx series is being killed off so your options there are limited.

Spy

I took your suggestions and upped my budget a bit, still set on the SeaSonic Power Supply.

(January Release Date)

What do you think now, GAF?

Spy said:
I took your suggestions and upped my budget a bit, still set on the SeaSonic Power Supply.

(January Release Date)

Motherboard is ridiculously expensive. You can get a suitable motherboard for $140.

Spy said:

(January Release Date)

I still really think you ought to go with a Quad core cpu. As said above, go with a mid-range motherboard since everything else is mid-range, and get yourself a i5 750. Of course, the higher clock speed of the 670 looks nice, but your paying more for less cores. I guess I can't say for sure until actual benchmarks come out, but hey, you could always overclock a 750.

hadar

Thanks for the quick response; have a Pentium D 915 2.8 and a 550W LC Power lc6550gp, also I'm only running on 2Gb ram and the nvidia card is 30 euro higher than the ati one, don't know if that'll help any.

Druz

hadar said:
Thanks for the quick response; have a Pentium D 915 2.8 and a 550W LC Power lc6550gp, also I'm only running on 2Gb ram and the nvidia card is 30 euro higher than the ati one, don't know if that'll help any.

Pentium D.. ehhhh...

hadar said:

Yeah, I'm seeing the 4670 for $55 USD while the GT 240 is $90USD. You'd be getting more bang for the buck with the 4670, and considering that the rest of your system is relatively unimpressive I suppose there's no real point in spending a lot of money on a high-end GPU only to be CPU limited in modern games. That is, unless you're planning on upgrading the cpu in the near future. For $55 USD (I don't know how many euros) the 4670 will serve as a nice stop-gap upgrade which is definitely an improvement compared to what you're upgrading from. If you can however find a good price on a radeon 4850, 4770, or a nvidia 9800 GTX+ or something of that ilk, that would definitely do more to tide you over for now.

Spy

Spy said:
Intel Core i5-750s Lynnfield 2.4GHZ LGA1156 82W Quad-Core Processor
(January Release Date)

Is that better?

Spy said:
Is that better?

Other than the motherboard being sold out on newegg, I like what I see. I've had a good experience with ASUS as far as motherboards go, and it seems like that board uses a LOTES socket, hence warding off faulty-socket concerns. Go for it.

Order finally got completed on Newegg yesterday. Some stuff wasn't available, and I didn't care about some other stuff ultimately, but for a complete machine that should be very capable at game playing/all aspects of game development with 2 HD res LCD monitors for a good long while....a tad under $1500 has got to be about right since I knew it would surely be over 1K and was hoping to keep it under 1500. Now just the hopefully short shipping wait and praying for no RMA nonsense mucking up the works.

That said: Can somebody post a step by step guide(for idiots) for how one would prepare/good way to transfer all of one's precious Firefox bookmarks over to a new PC? I'm assuming there's a better way than just copying the entire firefox folder or some such over to a secondary HD and from there into the new tower?

xero273

ElectricThunder said:
Can somebody post a step by step guide(for idiots) for how one would prepare/good way to transfer all of one's precious Firefox bookmarks over to a new PC? I'm assuming there's a better way than just copying the entire firefox folder or some such over to a secondary HD and from there into the new tower?

Select the bookmarks menu. Then you should see an option that says to organize bookmarks. Select that. A new window will popup. At the top of this new window you will see Import and Backup. Select that. Dropdown menu will show up with option to backup bookmarks or export as html file. You can do either one.

xero273 said:
Select the bookmarks menu. Then you should see an option that says to organize bookmarks. Select that. A new window will popup. At the top of this new window you will see Import and Backup. Select that. Dropdown menu will show up with option to backup bookmarks or export as html file. You can do either one.

So awesome...I shall remember to return to this post/any others when the moment of truth arrives. I have many a bookmark...some days see a ton of them added.

Top Bottom