• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Minsc

Gold Member
jimmypop said:
OK, I'll bite. Show me a contemporary list of driver issues.

Oh, thanks for the info! You'd better fire up your flux capacitor and hit up Xtremesystems and ocforums circa 2005. You could have saved those gamers and benchmarkers thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours.

Also, that Vista64 compatibility list? I've played a handful of those games on Vista64, so I'm not sure how they're gauging "incompatible". Could be as simple as not showing up in the Games browser due to how the legacy icon was created, maybe? I'm not sure.

You know, I hate to say it, but I think you're right, and this all got played out rather fast and I'm ready to drop it. Compatibility does seem pretty good with XP x64, and I can't find much other than Starforce problems and older hardware, and that site I linked above (which you point out isn't entirely correct).

I can't say I'd ever recommend XP x64 to anyone, even over XP 32-bit, but I'll stop knocking it and think a bit differently of it now.

Darklord said:
I'm getting a whole new PC, I'm not adding it on to my current one. I was thinking of getting something like a Gigabyte EP45 Extreme.

Personally would look at getting the 9550 Darklord. The current batch of Q6600 chips are not overclocking that well and if you're banking on a 3.2GHz+ OC on the Q6600, I wouldn't count on it.

I know the prices in AU might be a lot higher for the 9550 but you'll have a lot longer longevity with that chip vs. the Q6600 chip IMO.

Darklord

Banned
VictimOfGrief said:
Personally would look at getting the 9550 Darklord. The current batch of Q6600 chips are not overclocking that well and if you're banking on a 3.2GHz+ OC on the Q6600, I wouldn't count on it.

I know the prices in AU might be a lot higher for the 9550 but you'll have a lot longer longevity with that chip vs. the Q6600 chip IMO.

I'd rather pay more now and have longer use out of it. I normally only upgraded once every 3-4 years so this needs to last me quite a while. I'll check out the Q9550, is it a lot better than the Q6600(seeing as its about double the price)?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Darklord said:
I'd rather pay more now and have longer use out of it. I normally only upgraded once every 3-4 years so this needs to last me quite a while. I'll check out the Q9550, is it a lot better than the Q6600(seeing as its about double the price)?
What is the price of a Corei7? Because the Q9550 is not even close to twice as good, and it is also being phased out. If you upgrade every 4 years I would recommend a whole new Core i7 platform.

Slavik81

Minsc said:
Here's an interesting site, from microsoft. It's for Vista 64-bit, but I imagine most of those would also apply to XP x64 as well.

Looks to be over 300 games, but a lot of fluff.
They'll run, just not in 64-bit mode. They'll run as 32-bit programs.

For instance, I'm playing Guild Wars with a friend of mine, who's running Vista Business x64, and Guild Wars is the second game on that list. My brother also has been playing Oblivion on Vista Home Premium x64.

jimmypop

Banned
Minsc said:
You know, I hate to say it, but I think you're right, and this all got played out rather fast and I'm ready to drop it. Compatibility does seem pretty good with XP x64, and I can't find much other than Starforce problems and older hardware, and that site I linked above (which you point out isn't entirely correct).

I can't say I'd ever recommend XP x64 to anyone, even over XP 32-bit, but I'll stop knocking it and think a bit differently of it now.

But, really, who likes Starforce anyway?

Argument abated, high-fives all around. :)

Darklord

Banned
godhandiscen said:
What is the price of a Corei7? Because the Q9550 is not even close to twice as good, and it is also being phased out. If you upgrade every 4 years I would recommend a whole new Core i7 platform.

Geez. Well I found 3 on the site I'm buying off.

Intel Core i7 920: $479
Intel Core i7 940: $939
Intel Core i7 Extreme 965: $1799 0____0

Pretty much the only one close to being affordable for me is the 920. I'm not sure what it's like though, it that better than the Q9550? Good for gaming?

Tideas

Banned
Darklord said:
Geez. Well I found 3 on the site I'm buying off.

Intel Core i7 920: $479
Intel Core i7 940: $939
Intel Core i7 Extreme 965: $1799 0____0

Pretty much the only one close to being affordable for me is the 920. I'm not sure what it's like though, it that better than the Q9550? Good for gaming?

anandtech.com
tomshardware.com

Those places will answer your question if it's better than the Q9550

Darklord

Banned
Tideas said:
anandtech.com
tomshardware.com

Those places will answer your question if it's better than the Q9550

Thanks. I checked out the benchmarks on 3D Vantage and it seems to be the worst of the i7's but all 3 i7's are on the top of every chart. It got 4000 points higher than the 9550 and double the 6600 points.

That sounds pretty great then. Would that mean it's well suited for gaming then? Aren't some CPU's bad for games(for example it did worse with crysis than the QX9770 while the 920 beats it on benchmark programs)?

Tideas

Banned
Darklord said:
Thanks. I checked out the benchmarks on 3D Vantage and it seems to be the worst of the i7's but all 3 i7's are on the top of every chart. It got 4000 points higher than the 9550 and double the 6600 points.

That sounds pretty great then. Would that mean it's well suited for gaming then? Aren't some CPU's bad for games?

go look at their benchmark for games.

Darklord

Banned
Tideas said:
go look at their benchmark for games.

Ha, yeah thats what I just did(I updated my last post). It was 4th best with crysis(losing 3rd spot to the QX9770).

I guess it's one of the best around, worse of the i7's but better than all other CPU's.

I'll get that then.

Slavik81

Darklord said:
That sounds pretty great then. Would that mean it's well suited for gaming then? Aren't some CPU's bad for games?
Games aren't using 4-cores as effectively as they could yet. In some cases, that can lead to unexpected performance differences (or lack there of). In very sequential code, top-of-the-line dual-cores with higher clock speeds can sometimes get equal or better performance than slower quad-cores.

Overclocking the i920 is an attractive option to get the best of both worlds.

Darklord

Banned
Slavik81 said:
Games aren't really using 4-cores much yet. Because of that, top-of-the-line dual-cores with higher clock speeds can sometimes get equal or better performance. Basically because those 2 extra cores don't help much, while the extra clock speed does.

Overclocking the i920 is an attractive option to get the best of both worlds.

Would that means I could get the best performance out of games than don't use 4 cores? The 9550 is 2.8ghz(I think) and the i7 is 2.6Ghz, I push that to 2.8ghz and it'll run as well as the 9550(for games that don't need 4 cores I mean)?

I've never overclocked so I just want to make sure.:D

Darklord said:
Ha, yeah thats what I just did(I updated my last post). It was 4th best with crysis(losing 3rd spot to the QX9770).

I guess it's one of the best around, worse of the i7's but better than all other CPU's.

I'll get that then.
From what I understand, it's not even worth it to bother with the more expensive i7s. Tom's Hardware had recently ran an article where their i7 920 was more overclockable than the 965, so you might end up paying almost 4x the price for less performance.

Would that means I could get the best performance out of games than don't use 4 cores? The 9550 is 2.8ghz(I think) and the i7 is 2.6Ghz, I push that to 2.8ghz and it'll run as well as the 9550(for games that don't need 4 cores I mean)?
The i7 is has a little better per-clock performance than the Core Quads, so the 2.6GHz i7 will be pretty comparable to the 2.8GHz 9550 even without overclocking, I think.

godhandiscen

Darklord said:

Now the problem is that the i7's need a new mobo and DDR3. Therefore their cost is that of a whole new platform. However you would be fine for the next 4 years playing at the highest settings. If you do not have the money right now I would recommend you to wait until you can afford it. It is not worth to make the jump to technology that will be phased out.

Slavik81

Unfortunately, it's rather complicated in that clock speed isn't the only thing that matters. It's just one factor. Without a degree in computer hardware design and a lot of information, you're unlikely to figure it out without a benchmark. (And even then, the guy with a degree in computer hardware design would use a benchmark for existing hardware because its faster and more reliable.)

Conclusion: Benchmarks are awesome.

godhandiscen

Darklord said:

The i7 is faster per clock, so at 2.66GHz it is already faster than the 9550. You do not need to OC it to notice the difference.

Darklord

Banned
Thanks everyone for the help so far.

godhandiscen said:
Now the problem is that the i7's need a new mobo and DDR3. Therefore their cost is that of a whole new platform. However you would be fine for the next 4 years playing at the highest settings. If you do not have the money right now I would recommend you to wait until you can afford it. It is not worth to make the jump to technology that will be phased out.

Oh god, those new 1366 mobo's cost a lot. The cheapest is $100 more than the one I was looking at before.

I'm not sure I can afford a PC THAT powerful. It was already going to be around $2300+, not it looks to be in the range on $3000-$3200+. However if it can last me 5 years(I don't care if it can't run on highest 5 years down the track, just as long as it can run them) then it might be worth it.

Is there anything to know about graphics cards? Are the current ones being phased out too? I don't want to pay a ton for this PC then find out it sucks because the card is old or something(I'm looking to get a HIS HD4870 512mb)

godhandiscen

Darklord said:
Thanks everyone for the help so far.

Oh god, those new 1366 mobo's cost a lot. The cheapest is $100 more than the one I was looking at before.

I'm not sure I can afford a PC THAT powerful. It was already going to be around $2300+, not it looks to be in the range on $3000-$3200+. However if it can last me 5 years(I don't care if it can't run on highest 5 years down the track, just as long as it can run them) then it might be worth it.

Is there anything to know about graphics cards? Are the current ones being phased out too? I don't want to pay a ton for this PC then find out it sucks because the card is old or something(I'm looking to get a HIS HD4870 512mb)
Go for the 4870 1GB. Also, what are all the current components you are looking at?

Darklord

Banned
godhandiscen said:
Go for the 4870 1GB. Also, what are all the current components you are looking at?

Well all my original parts had to be changed so now I'm at:

CPU: Intel Core i7 920
GPU: HIS HD4870 1GB
PSU: Corsair Micro CMPSU-620HX
Case: Cooler Master RC-690-KKN1
OS Vista 64bit

Not sure about the rest though. I still need ram and a mobo.

godhandiscen

Darklord said:
Well all my original parts had to be changed so now I'm at:

CPU: Intel Core i7 920
GPU: HIS HD4870 1GB
PSU: Corsair Micro CMPSU-620HX
Case: Cooler Master RC-690-KKN1
OS Vista 64bit

Not sure about the rest though. I still need ram and a mobo.
That is looking like an epic build man. And it has so much room for upgrade in 2 or 3 years. You will not be disappointed. Also, the 920 overclocks like crazy with a decent cooler. Do not worry about it now since it's speed is fine, but if you want, you can OC it later.

Darklord

Banned
godhandiscen said:
That is looking like an epic build man. And it has so much room for upgrade in 2 or 3 years. You will not be disappointed. Also, the 920 overclocks like crazy with a decent cooler. Do not worry about it now since it's speed is fine, but if you want, you can OC it later.

I have a feeling it might break my budget though. The mobo's are damn expensive. I hope not(and also because I'll need to go back to square one again:lol ).

Thank god I'm getting $900 from the goverment next month. Stimulus package FTW!

Darklord

Banned
Sorry for the double post but I had 2 last things to ask about my upgrade.

1. What DDR3 ram do you recommend? The ram I picked is DDR2 so I need new stuff. I'm looking for 4gb.

2. What Vista do I get? Would it be "Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit DVD OEM with Service Pack 1"?

Darklord said:
Sorry for the double post but I had 2 last things to ask about my upgrade.

1. What DDR3 ram do you recommend? The ram I picked is DDR2 so I need new stuff. I'm looking for 4gb.

2. What Vista do I get? Would it be "Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit DVD OEM with Service Pack 1"?

1. Corsair is great, even if you get the ones without the fancy fins. But there are plenty of fine brands as long as you think twice about Aeneon (although, HP/Voodoo is using them now, for some reason) and some of the other no-name stuff. I'd pay more attention to speeds that fit with your OC strategy.

2. Yep, that's the one I'd go with.

Ashhong

let me preface this by saying i havent bought computer components in a while, and that this is my first asus product. my hd4870 came in and asus just won me over with their packaging alone. i havent been this impressed since my first ipod.

IMG_25771.jpg

the front cover flap opens to reveal more information...very sleek

IMG_2581.jpg

came out from the box above...gold on black...impressive

IMG_2582.jpg

remind anyone of apple? multiple boxes inside of a bigger one, perfectly placed together

IMG_2583.jpg

even came with this awesome leather mousepad. really needed a replacement for my dell one, awesome. the card itself is sexy as hell. my last card was a x700 and is basic looking. this impressed me so much :lol

sorry for this post. i just wanted to share the awesomeness. it might just feel awesome because im so excited for a new comp.

itxaka

Defeatist
^^
That is pretty cool. About time the packaging was upgraded a bit with high end components.

Now my question.

I just got a new laptop:

Core2duo T5800 2Ghz, 800Mhz, 2Mb L2 cache
4Gb DDR2
nvidia 9300M GS 256Mb

Okay, so the laptop has 4 GB of ram, but the fucker comes with Vista 32bits, so it only sees 3 Gb but there is a catch. The graphics card has only 256Mb but it can get 1100Mb from the ram as in shared memory. I guess the point is that from those 4Gb, 1 Gb is for the graphics card as in shared memory and the rest is for the OS.

Is this rigth? Would I be better with vista 64? Is it really that 1 GB used by the graphic card?

Thanks!

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
that is pretty cool. I'm still using my original 4870 512mb and I wonder if I would see a performance boos if I upgraded to 4870 1gb. I game at 1680x1050.

Ashhong

^^

what are your expectations for that laptop?

otake said:
that is pretty cool. I'm still using my original 4870 512mb and I wonder if I would see a performance boos if I upgraded to 4870 1gb. I game at 1680x1050.

when i asked earlier in this thread i believe they said that unless ur going higher then that resolution it wouldnt be that much of a difference. the 4870 seems like such a high end card already i would wait until the next wave of cards come out. this shit aint cheap...

i dont know if its normal but, my gpu even came with dvi-hdmi adapter and svideo-component adapters. its so refreshing to buy something and have it come with stuff that i dont even need, but might later. maybe ive been buying too much apple lately. fuckers haven taken everything out nowadays.

El Six

Banned
Well I have been away from PC gaming for a while and haven't purchased parts for that matter in a while. Decided to go back to PC gaming and have Purchased the fallowing Rig

Sunbeam Transformer IC-TR-B Blue Steel
SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB
OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz 125W Quad-Core Black Edition
Foxconn A7DA-S AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

Put it together last night and was very pleased with it :D

Darklord

Banned
Ashhong said:
^^
when i asked earlier in this thread i believe they said that unless ur going higher then that resolution it wouldnt be that much of a difference. the 4870 seems like such a high end card already i would wait until the next wave of cards come out. this shit aint cheap...

i dont know if its normal but, my gpu even came with dvi-hdmi adapter and svideo-component adapters. its so refreshing to buy something and have it come with stuff that i dont even need, but might later. maybe ive been buying too much apple lately. fuckers haven taken everything out nowadays.

Really? Because I was going to get the 1gb but I'll be running on 1680x1050. Does it really make little difference?

garath

Darklord said:
Wow the 1gb really does only give a tiny boost. The most is about 3FPS.

But if you are looking for a card with legs, get the 1gb. The extra memory will make a difference in the long run.

Darklord

Banned
garath said:
But if you are looking for a card with legs, get the 1gb. The extra memory will make a difference in the long run.

Yeah, that and the fact I just noticed the 512mb card I was looking at on the site I'm buying the PC off wasn't even a 4780.:lol

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Ashhong said:
let me preface this by saying i havent bought computer components in a while, and that this is my first asus product. my hd4870 came in and asus just won me over with their packaging alone. i havent been this impressed since my first ipod.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l6/ashhong/IMG_25771.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l6/ashhong/IMG_2581.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l6/ashhong/IMG_2582.jpg[IMG]

remind anyone of apple? multiple boxes inside of a bigger one, perfectly placed together

[IMG]http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l6/ashhong/IMG_2583.jpg[IMG]

even came with this awesome leather mousepad. really needed a replacement for my dell one, awesome. the card itself is sexy as hell. my last card was a x700 and is basic looking. this impressed me so much :lol

sorry for this post. i just wanted to share the awesomeness. it might just feel awesome because im so excited for a new comp.[/QUOTE]Wow! Fuck sapphire, I'm never going with them again!

Insertia

I ordered the 4830 Sunday. Based on the benchmarks and reviews it can run pretty much everything now almost maxed at great resolutions with really good frame rates and it's pretty cheap. Going to be far better than my 2600XT HD. Just checked newegg and it should be here in a couple of hours.

I just realized my PSU is 300w. Is the card going to work at all when it's put in?

I just plugged in my PC settings with the new video card into this. And the recommended PSU wattage was 253.

Do you guys think I'm safe?

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Just got a new rig the other day and I'm very happy with it.

AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition
Sapphire Radeon 4870 1 gig
Asus M4A79 Deluxe motherboard
640 gig hard drive
4 gigs of ram
Antec P182 case
Cooler Master Hyper Z600 (CPU heatsink/fan)
750W power supply

The whole thing weighed in at just under $1500 CDN after tax. The Cooler Master just barely fits in the case and is right next to two of the case fans, so we moved the CPU fan into one of the fan slots at the front of the case. So technically there's no CPU fan but the CPU idles between 33 and 35 degrees Celsius with all fans set to low. That, combined with the case, makes the whole rig so quiet on idle I have to do a double take every time I walk past it to see if it's actually on. :lol The case/heatsink combo may have been a bit expensive, but IMO it was well worth it. And later on, I can always overclock the thing if/when I need to.

I don't know if anyone here noticed that I only talked about really old games, but that was because my old computer was an Athlon XP 1600+ with a radeon 9600. :lol I have a lot of catching up to do.

Wow @ that Asus 4870. That's going on my wish list for sure now.

Its power consumption and cooling are supposed to be really impressive, and the custom heat sink looks really slick. Looks like they went all out on that card.

CoilShot

Is there any difference between a dual slot 4850 and single slot 4850? I can't seem to find single slot 4850 as easy as dual slot cards. Are the single slot bad at cooling or something?

Darklord: Both cards have the same clock, but the Asus is a full retail product (including fancy packaging/extras even if of dubious value) while the HIS is almost undoubtedly OEM (expect a card and almost nothing else.) The HIS is also using a stock cooler while the Asus is using something fancier.

I don't think it's worth buying an Asus for more despite having half the memory, but all I can really say about the HIS is to not expect any support. It's a vanilla ATi part and that's about all you'll get from it.

CoilShot said:
Is there any difference between a dual slot 4850 and single slot 4850? I can't seem to find single slot 4850 as easy as dual slot cards. Are the single slot bad at cooling or something?

A single slot cooler is likely to be a bit louder / more expensive; typically the dual-slot coolers get away with quiet configs or cheaper configs or better cooling (there are various solutions.) I'd imagine any above-standard clocked 4850's are dual-slot or 1.5slot cards.

Chairhome

Ashhong said:

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l6/ashhong/IMG_25771.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l6/ashhong/IMG_2581.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l6/ashhong/IMG_2582.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l6/ashhong/IMG_2583.jpg[IMG]

sorry for this post. i just wanted to share the awesomeness. it might just feel awesome because im so excited for a new comp.[/QUOTE]

Nice. I have this exact same card waiting for me at home (came in today while I'm at work). You bought it during that 12 hour sale from newegg? Came w/ STALKER? I bought this card with a new PSU and a new external and internal HDD. Can't wait to set it all up.

CoilShot

Crazymoogle said:
A single slot cooler is likely to be a bit louder / more expensive; typically the dual-slot coolers get away with quiet configs or cheaper configs or better cooling (there are various solutions.) I'd imagine any above-standard clocked 4850's are dual-slot or 1.5slot cards.

Thanks for information. Does it matter if I choose 512MB vs 1GB on a 4850 card? My resolution is going to be 1680 by 1050(22" Monitor).

EDIT: One more thing I just noticed there are alot of 4870s and 4850s price around the same price point. So I should got with a 4870 since it has GDDR5 right?

techreport is one of best sites that i ever seen.. wow

i'm searching for websites that have the last computer news.. i don't really like zdnet, is really confusing for me

CoilShot said:
Thanks for information. Does it matter if I choose 512MB vs 1GB on a 4850 card? My resolution is going to be 1680 by 1050(22" Monitor).

EDIT: One more thing I just noticed there are alot of 4870s and 4850s price around the same price point. So I should got with a 4870 since it has GDDR5 right?

Outside of GTA4 I'm not sure if anything really uses 1GB right now. You'd future-proof your setup a bit more, but as you say, you're going to be a bit hamstrung by your videocard and resolution anyways.

But yes, I'd rather have a 4870 (even 512MB) over a 4850.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Warren Ellis said:
techreport is one of best sites that i ever seen.. wow

i'm searching for websites that have the last computer news.. i don't really like zdnet, is really confusing for me
For sure, the guy knows what he does too.

As for Darklord, I would just go the cheapo route and buy a Q6600 and overclock it to 3.2Ghz for now. Nothing needs the CPU speed currently.

Rest of the parts, besides cheap DDR2, can carry over. (You have a 775 board right?).

I think you will be very satisfied with a high end card and a good quad.
No reason to spend another $400 right now.

Ashhong

Chairhome said:
Nice. I have this exact same card waiting for me at home (came in today while I'm at work). You bought it during that 12 hour sale from newegg? Came w/ STALKER? I bought this card with a new PSU and a new external and internal HDD. Can't wait to set it all up.

yup. i was planning on selling stalker, but all it is is a single dvd in a white sleeve wrapped in bubble wrap. wat the crap? also it says prologue on it...not sure if its even the full game

Darklord said:
Is there much difference between these cards?

http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/28161-eah4870-htdi-512

http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/29206-his-hd4870-1gb

The Asus 512mb on special costs more than the 1GB HIS. Is there a reason for this(like is the Asus a much higher quality brand) or simply just different brands, different pricing?

im not quite shure why that asus is so much more than mine...this is the one i got, although it was on a 12-hour sale when i got it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121291

edit: i just noticed youre in australia. holy crap at those prices o.o

Insertia

Put the 4830 in. Wow. Well worth the money.

Boosted my Windows Performance score to 5.8 and maxed out the Graphics/Gaming scores to 5.9.

First thing I threw at it was GTA:SA only because on the previous card it ran horribly for some odd reason. Of course, everything maxed and it ran perfectly.

CoD4. Everything maxed, and resolution at 1680x1050. Again, wow. I played through CoD4 before and had no idea it was so stunning.

Crysis. Set world objects, textures, and shadows to very high everything else high (sound medium), 2x AA, 1024 resolution and it plays very smoothly. Slow down here and there but nothing major. Just surprised I could actually play it without it being a choppy mess.

Installing Fear 2 right now to see how it fares.

Anyway, awesome card. For the price it's a steal. Only problem is the mouse freezing for a second or two every minute or so. Anyone know what could cause this?

Got my 4870 1GB today. Pop out my 8800gt and discover that with the placing of the ide on my motherboard, it wont fit, so i have to wait until I get the rest of my new build.

Ashhong

gamerecks said:
Got my 4870 1GB today. Pop out my 8800gt and discover that with the placing of the ide on my motherboard, it wont fit, so i have to wait until I get the rest of my new build.

god i hope my 512mb 4870 fits in my build. the card is massive.

Top Bottom