• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Zyzyxxz

Caesar III said:
Hey guys. I just need your help at this point.

My girlfriend has a 9800GT now but the fan is so annoying so we are thinking about replacing it. The problem is, as stated before, there is not much room in her case so the only possibility would be the backsite of the card.
I know there is a MSI 8600 with passive cooling on the back:
http://img.tomshardware.com/de/2007/06/15/nvidia-geforce-8-mittelklasse/msi_geforce8600gts_seite_klein.jpg[iMG]

Do you know where I can get such a cooling device? I only find those arctic cooling thingies and such. But they are WAY too big :(

I hope you can help us finding such a passive cooling device. Thanks :)[/QUOTE]

I guessing the Accelero S2 doesn't fit?
[url]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186017[/url]

Thats is good one and fan is optional but you can always put a 120mm on it and run it at a very low speed

LowParry

Oh man, I just did it. Haha. Spent an extra $100 over my $800 for that Phenom II 940 but will be so worth it. Whew. Now the wait. UPS 3 day. Should be here for the weeken! Woo!

Zyzyxxz said:
I guessing the Accelero S2 doesn't fit?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186017

Thats is good one and fan is optional but you can always put a 120mm on it and run it at a very low speed
there is not that much space on the front, so this one would not fit in the case :( But on the back of the graphics cards there is enough space for everything :) If there woulld be a possibility like the linked heatpipe with cooling on the back that would be great. but I haven't found such a solution outside of this msi card yet.
There is a zalman solution but this one is on both sides of the cards, so it doesn't fit too :(

Ashhong

rohlfinator said:
Clicking is usually a bad sign... has it been doing that since you got the drive, or is this new? I've heard that some drives naturally click a bit when shutting down, but in general it's a sign of impending drive failure.

yea i actually have one of the seagates that are supposed to break, although when i check it on seagate its not affected.

anyway, its not a constant clicking like i think that would be. its kind of just the normal sound i hear whenever the computer turns off. you know how u hear the fans wind down and then theres 1 click of some kind? kind of sounds like that.

IF its the harddrive, and not something else, basically sounds like its turning off and then on at a later time. im thinking its part of my ASUS motherboard though, because its all about being green. just dont see that mentioned anywhere. isnt it true a HD fails when the spin increases and decreases?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Meier said:
I am replacing my stock Intel fan with this one, anyone used one personally? Already ordered and coming via overnight, so no turning back now. :lol

41sKoYBJgDL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JSFZPS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It had excellent reviews on Newegg and Amazon so I pulled the trigger. Holy shit, that thing is mammoth! I hope it fits! :lol
Read up a few posts. (From yours)

It's unnecessarily heavy, doesn't cooler as well as cheaper alternatives, and costs more than top end. It's also sharp.
I had a 9500 for a while. It looks neat though.

Waikis

DailyTech has learned from industry sources that ATI, the graphics division of AMD, is working with its board partners and several major e-tailers to lower prices on some key products.

The ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB will drop $50 in price, from the $199 segment down to $149. It will compete in this price point primarily against NVIDIA's GTS 250 1GB rebrand using the old G92 chip, variants of which were used in the 8800GT, 9800GT, 9800GTX, 9800GTX+, etc. However, the HD 4870 has been shown to surpass the performance of NVIDIA's GTX 260 line, and value seekers may choose to leave NVIDIA for a better price/performance point.

The Radeon 4870 uses GDDR5 to provide more video memory bandwidth than the GTX260, even though it has more RAM, a wider memory bus, and higher clocked memory.

The ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB will drop to $129, and is designed to compete at the same price point as NVIDIA's GTS 250 512MB version. The Radeon HD 4830 will be replaced by another part soon at a lower price point.

ATI's price cuts are anticipated to take effect early this week. One of our sources indicates that NVIDIA and its partners will unveil GTS250 parts at the CeBit tradeshow in Hannover, Germany on Tuesday.

http://www.dailytech.com/Radeon+4870+Gets+50+Price+Cut+to+149+Radeon+4850+Will+Drop+to+129/article14433.htm

posted?

Meier

Hazaro said:
Read up a few posts. (From yours)

It's unnecessarily heavy, doesn't cooler as well as cheaper alternatives, and costs more than top end. It's also sharp.
I had a 9500 for a while. It looks neat though.
Weird, all the reviews said it cooled incredibly well. It has like 1500 of them on Newegg and they're almost all 5-star along with an avg of 5-stars on Amazon (32 reviews total).

I know it will offer a big improvement over my stock fan -- guess I'll see what happens.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Meier said:
Weird, all the reviews said it cooled incredibly well. It has like 1500 of them on Newegg and they're almost all 5-star along with an avg of 5-stars on Amazon (32 reviews total).

I know it will offer a big improvement over my stock fan -- guess I'll see what happens.
I know, that's why I bought my 9500.

Anything over stock, no point in going through the hassle to return it.

_Angelus_

Banned
I've put off buying a ATI 4870 1 Gigabyte card but now I'm ready to get one. Anyone know a reputable place online to buy,and that sells them at a great price?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Angelus said:
I've put off buying a ATI 4870 1 Gigabyte card but now I'm ready to get one. Anyone know a reputable place online to buy,and that sells them at a great price?
See OP

*newegg.com*

Mak

Hey GAF, I need a new PC! I've been reading this topic for sometime, its been very helpful to decide on parts for a new PC.

Several years ago, I bought a Dell XPS Gen 5, and it sounds too loud. The PSU makes high pitched noise, it sounds like a jet engine when it turns on, it produces a lot of heat, and I can hear the fans hum. I've looked in the case and decided its not worth trying to fix it up because of Dell's parts.

Originally, I needed a new HDD (250 GB filled up) and RAM, and just decided I might as well build my own PC. I'm not really a PC gamer, so I'm not interested in upgrading the video card at the moment, but would if I needed to. I just need a PC to do whatever I need (games, multimedia, video capture), while staying within a budget.

Here's what I've decided on:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45
G.SKILL HK 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
WD Caviar Black 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Antec Sonata III + 500W Power Supply
Microsoft Windows XP Home SP3 for System Builders - OEM

(Reusing from old PC)

Nvidia GeForce 6800 (will upgrade when necessary)
Sony DVD drive + NEC DVD burner
Sound Blaster Audigy ZS

Are there any advantages to getting a 640GB WD Caviar Black instead of the 750GB and 1TB drives for my main drive? I understand the 640GB uses 2 platters instead of 3 that the higher ones use, so that would help with boot and seek times. I filled up my current HDD capturing video game footage, and ripping my CDs, so I kinda planned to get a second HDD anyways.

Should I bother getting an aftermarket cooler or stick with the included heatseak and fan with the Q9550? I've been looking at the Scythe Ninja line for something quiet and cool.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185074

Tideas

Banned
jimmbow said:
For most taskes, yes. For gaming, maybe a tiny upgrade in the future, if anything, and you'll be good

what are you smoking? It has a i7-920 with 6 gigs of ram and 280 1gb. That computer will be set for the next 5 years

JimmyV

Banned
Tideas said:
what are you smoking? It has a i7-920 with 6 gigs of ram and 280 1gb. That computer will be set for the next 5 years

yeah but whon knows what might come out in the future that could completely belittle it. People with killer gaming rigs bought Crysis and cried a few years ago. Cliche example, but still....

botkiller

I'm trying to decide how I want to set up a home server and I'm not too familiar with RAID. If I have a drive that has data on it and an identical drive with no data on it, will the the drive need to be formatted to create a RAID 1 setup?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
jimmbow said:
yeah but whon knows what might come out in the future that could completely belittle it. People with killer gaming rigs bought Crysis and cried a few years ago. Cliche example, but still....
That rig is set for 5 years.

FatalT

Banned
I'm running a dell laptop with a GeForce Go 7300 graphics card and Windows 7 32-bit. Which display drivers should I use? The latest Windows 7 drivers or the latest Notebook drivers for Windows Vista 32-bit? I'm not too worried about having to reformat if the drivers mess up because this is just my dick around laptop but I'd still rather know which one to use before I go and screw it up.

Zyzyxxz

Hazaro said:
That rig is set for 5 years.

you don't know that.

Moore's Law anyone? Now we got games like Crysis but 5 years ago we were playing games with the graphics of Warcraft III and Call of Duty 1. 5 years before that we were playing games like Starcraft and Diablo II, don't assume anything.

I always advise against building a killer rig because the price you pay to get the extra 20% may costs hundreds more over a performance rig that is a notch or two below in terms of performance.

Unless you have crazy income don't bother building something thats the best, I always say go for 2nd best performance to save costs without sacrificing significant performance.

Mak said:
Hey GAF, I need a new PC! I've been reading this topic for sometime, its been very helpful to decide on parts for a new PC.

Several years ago, I bought a Dell XPS Gen 5, and it sounds too loud. The PSU makes high pitched noise, it sounds like a jet engine when it turns on, it produces a lot of heat, and I can hear the fans hum. I've looked in the case and decided its not worth trying to fix it up because of Dell's parts.

Originally, I needed a new HDD (250 GB filled up) and RAM, and just decided I might as well build my own PC. I'm not really a PC gamer, so I'm not interested in upgrading the video card at the moment, but would if I needed to. I just need a PC to do whatever I need (games, multimedia, video capture), while staying within a budget.

(Reusing from old PC)

Sound Blaster Audigy ZS

Are there any advantages to getting a 640GB WD Caviar Black instead of the 750GB and 1TB drives for my main drive? I understand the 640GB uses 2 platters instead of 3 that the higher ones use, so that would help with boot and seek times. I filled up my current HDD capturing video game footage, and ripping my CDs, so I kinda planned to get a second HDD anyways.

Should I bother getting an aftermarket cooler or stick with the included heatseak and fan with the Q9550? I've been looking at the Scythe Ninja line for something quiet and cool.

Change to Phenom II 940BE and Gigabyte 790GP DS4H / Foxconn A7DA-S, Q9550 + P45 is trusting on a dodo bird. Equal performance for less price.

Zyzyxxz

Ryoma-Echizen said:
Change to Phenom II 940BE and Gigabyte 790GP DS4H / Foxconn A7DA-S, Q9550 + P45 is trusting on a dodo bird. Equal performance for less price.

I'd recommend the ASRock 790GX I bought over a Foxconn, I'm not too entirely trusting on Foxconn quality.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Zyzyxxz said:
you don't know that.

Moore's Law anyone? Now we got games like Crysis but 5 years ago we were playing games with the graphics of Warcraft III and Call of Duty 1. 5 years before that we were playing games like Starcraft and Diablo II, don't assume anything.

I always advise against building a killer rig because the price you pay to get the extra 20% may costs hundreds more over a performance rig that is a notch or two below in terms of performance.

Unless you have crazy income don't bother building something thats the best, I always say go for 2nd best performance to save costs without sacrificing significant performance.
I'm sticking with my GTX 260 and E7200 for 5 years so it better damn well be fine :lol
This is probably a lie, I'll just try to hold out as long as I can

You are right though, depending on what is played on it probably 3 years, but I would think longer.

Zyzyxxz

Hazaro said:
I'm sticking with my GTX 260 and E7200 for 5 years so it better damn well be fine :lol
This is probably a lie, I'll just try to hold out as long as I can

You are right though, depending on what is played on it probably 3 years, but I would think longer.

here's the thing if you build a super expensive rig and expect it to last 5 years it probably will but by the time you get to the end of the 5 year cycle you will be miserable with your gaming experience. Its no secret that gaming performance goes on a downard slope toward as time progresses so its always better to build a decent performing rig now and upgrade integral parts to your needs in 2-3 years depending on product development cycles.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Zyzyxxz said:
here's the thing if you build a super expensive rig and expect it to last 5 years it probably will but by the time you get to the end of the 5 year cycle you will be miserable with your gaming experience. Its no secret that gaming performance goes on a downard slope toward as time progresses so its always better to build a decent performing rig now and upgrade integral parts to your needs in 2-3 years depending on product development cycles.
Yeah, I know.

Even though history says it's advancing insanely fast for the past FOREVER I still don't believe it's possible in the next 5 years to maintain the pace the industry is going at.

It blows my mind every time, it's insane.

I mean it really is impossible to imagine 5 years in the future.
(I still think the will run into problems past 22nm and resort to mass 6/8-Core designs for a few years before moving on)

Question for those with the AMD 720 Phenom 2 Triple Core BE. Are there any OC settings anywhere on what to put voltage and multiplier at to get maximum speed without alot of tweaking?

Can anyone recommend a good 24-26 monitor for gaming? Is it worth it to go much bigger, have been thinking of selling my 37inch and going with something smaller with a lower response time.

Minsc

Gold Member
mr stroke said:
Hell of a dell right there. For a pre built i7 rig thats about as cheap as you find.

Got me wondering about what else is in newegg's PC department, and found a pre built i7 for ~$700 cheaper @ $980. Slower video card, less ram, and so forth, but still, a complete i7 system pre-built for under 1K isn't too shabby, though I prefer that gateway myself.

MWS Natural said:
Can anyone recommend a good 24-26 monitor for gaming? Is it worth it to go much bigger, have been thinking of selling my 37inch and going with something smaller with a lower response time.
Hanns-G
Samsung
Asus
Acer make good 24"'ers. I personally am going to be picking up the Hanns-G 28" monitor from Costco here this month and kick my 19" LG to the curb. :D

Zyzyxxz

Minsc said:
Got me wondering about what else is in newegg's PC department, and found a pre built i7 for ~$700 cheaper @ $980. Slower video card, less ram, and so forth, but still, a complete i7 system pre-built for under 1K isn't too shabby, though I prefer that gateway myself.

not bad but they skimped out on the power supply.

Every part is brand name except there is no visiable logo on the powersupply. I'd probably upgrade the powersupply as soon as I got it and that would mean more money.

larvi

Minsc said:

And here's a Dell refurb with a 8gb ram and an Ati 4850 for $869. Refurbs come and go from the site but they usually have some good stuff at the dell outlet if you don't want to build your own

Minsc

Gold Member
Zyzyxxz said:
not bad but they skimped out on the power supply.

Every part is brand name except there is no visiable logo on the powersupply. I'd probably upgrade the powersupply as soon as I got it and that would mean more money.

680 Watts though... surely that's more than adequate for a 9800? Still, nice to see prices coming so low.

The refurb's another great price, it will be great when pre-built i7 systems are on the market for under $600.

Mak said:

(Reusing from old PC)

Sound Blaster Audigy ZS

You really ought to be going the Phenom ii or Core i7 route, if you've that much money to spend socket 775 is a dead end platform. I wouldn't be reusing those DVD drives either if they're IDE, pay the $20 so you don't have to deal with those God awful cables again.

A 4830 can be had for under $100 and will offer a good 4x the performance of that 6800, it'd be ridiculous for you to cheap out in this area.

32 bit XP? Vista x64 is the OS of choice for an enthusiast, its fundamentally better, the kinks have all been worked out, and it actually lets you make proper use of your quad core and 4GB of RAM.

VictimOfGrief said:
System is back up and running! :D

Now not to dick with it for a while.
:lol

Never! That's the fun part. :D

LowParry

Alrighty. So update on my build. Here's what I have now:

Processor -AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4
Memory - Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2-800
Graphics - XFX Radeon HD 4870 512MB
Storage - Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB
Case - COOLER MASTER Centurion 534
PSU - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V
DVD - Samsung SH-S223Q

I think that's my solid build for what I want to pay. My only last few questions are, with the PSU I have. Am I able to perform OC'ing (CPU, GPU) to the point where I don't have to worry about my PSU going crazy?

A few things to note:

With the Phenom II 940, I read (and I can't remember where the hell I read it) that could go by just air cool temps of overclocking the CPU. So to me I figure the stock fan that comes with it will be plenty.

Tideas

Banned
CcrooK said:
Alrighty. So update on my build. Here's what I have now:

Processor -AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4
Memory - Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2-800
Graphics - XFX Radeon HD 4870 512MB
Storage - Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB
Case - COOLER MASTER Centurion 534
PSU - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V
DVD - Samsung SH-S223Q

I think that's my solid build for what I want to pay. My only last few questions are, with the PSU I have. Am I able to perform OC'ing (CPU, GPU) to the point where I don't have to worry about my PSU going crazy?

A few things to note:

With the Phenom II 940, I read (and I can't remember where the hell I read it) that could go by just air cool temps of overclocking the CPU. So to me I figure the stock fan that comes with it will be plenty.

you are not onna need a 650W PSU for that. a 550 would do

LowParry

Tideas said:
you are not onna need a 650W PSU for that. a 550 would do

Huh. Well. It's more the merrier in the long haul. :lol Best to be safe than sorry. Plus the price on the PSU was pretty killer.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Tideas said:

jimmbow said:

I agree with both points of view. For example, in my case I would say, a "huge" ugrade next year. The reason is because some people just like to play all games at maximum settings with 60fps. I have a rig which is even faster than the one in the post above, and I know that it wont give me 60fps at maximum in all games, so I will just wait for technology to move forward before upgrading. Now, there are also people who are happy with high settings and 40fps, and if your goal is that, then that rig is fine for 3 years, and it will be able to play any game at "decent" settings even up to 5 years from now. So yeah, statements about for how long a person is set with a rig, vary on the goals of each person.
VictimOfGrief said:
System is back up and running! :D

Now not to dick with it for a while. :lol
What happened to your old system? Did the overclock kill the motherboard or what?
Zyzyxxz said:
you don't know that.

This advice is right, however I wouldn't say that you need a "crazy income" for the best of the best. It all depends on what you save for. Though whenever I think of the things I could have bought with the money I spent in computer parts...

Top Bottom